The Most Popular Beer in Beer Leagues?

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
of all the years that I played beer league, we only had one year where beer was brought in. It took one team to ruin it for everybody.

It was about 10-15 years ago that one team left their empties in the locker room and a bunch of kids had an early game the next morning. I'm not sure if it was on the benches, in the can, a combo, or exactly what happened. As you can probably tell, that didn't go over well with the parents, who eventually went to the arena manager. The arena manager threw a fit, threatening to boot the team from the league and even threatening the rest of us by saying they were gonna shut the league down for the year. IIRC, captains ended up meeting with the arena manager and they ended up agreeing on no beer for the rest of the year, which eventually became the standard rule. Everybody was pissed for awhile, but after a season it didn't seem like an issue. Most guys were usually trying to get out of the locker room as quick as possible since they had to work early the following day and our league was usually stuck with the 10:40 and 11:50 games.

They have changed managers since this happened, so maybe they brought the beer back into beer league. Being that I moved away a few years ago, I'd probably have to ask around.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
of all the years that I played beer league, we only had one year where beer was brought in. It took one team to ruin it for everybody.

It was about 10-15 years ago that one team left their empties in the locker room and a bunch of kids had an early game the next morning. I'm not sure if it was on the benches, in the can, a combo, or exactly what happened. As you can probably tell, that didn't go over well with the parents, who eventually went to the arena manager. The arena manager threw a fit, threatening to boot the team from the league and even threatening the rest of us by saying they were gonna shut the league down for the year. IIRC, captains ended up meeting with the arena manager and they ended up agreeing on no beer for the rest of the year, which eventually became the standard rule. Everybody was pissed for awhile, but after a season it didn't seem like an issue. Most guys were usually trying to get out of the locker room as quick as possible since they had to work early the following day and our league was usually stuck with the 10:40 and 11:50 games.

They have changed managers since this happened, so maybe they brought the beer back into beer league. Being that I moved away a few years ago, I'd probably have to ask around.

We always bring a cooler with us to stash the empties with us. No one ever gave us much of a problem, you would think it was expected no?

ArcataShark

in dubious battle
Jul 3, 2010
Eugene
Lots of home brew, or the local breweries that sponsor some of the teams. Oakshire, Ninkasi. Yeah just don't leave empties, recycle, no one usually minds.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
i stuck around for beer twice.

these games are so late, and if my wife isnt there im not gonna have a ride home.

i dont think we are allowed to bring beer in though, you get a pitcher from the "bar" (concession stand).

if they would make the games between 6-8 instead of 8-11, i might be able to get my wife to drive me around :laugh:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
my beer league just passed a new set of rules stating we cannot bring our own beer. We can buy 18's of labatts for like 21 bucks(LOL) and if we do so we must return all 18 empties to the bar. Failure to comply results in your captain(me sadly) getting a 4 minute major. Keep in mind every 20+ mins is a 1 game suspension...LAME.

Dipping has also been banned with a 10 min penalty if caught.

Gonna be a rough year aka I'll be tailgating the parking lot alot more lol

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
my beer league just passed a new set of rules stating we cannot bring our own beer. We can buy 18's of labatts for like 21 bucks(LOL) and if we do so we must return all 18 empties to the bar. Failure to comply results in your captain(me sadly) getting a 4 minute major. Keep in mind every 20+ mins is a 1 game suspension...LAME.

Dipping has also been banned with a 10 min penalty if caught.

Gonna be a rough year aka I'll be tailgating the parking lot alot more lol

...Do they come check your dressing rooms? How do they find out? Just be subtle getting it in, unless they have some guy checking bags at the door and routinely searching the dressing rooms after games.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I bring some of my homebrew by when one of my friends asks me to fill in on his team.

Thankfully craft beer is pretty big here and we have options, and the rink manager is cool with bringing in beer as long as you don't leave half empty stuff everywhere for the kids to find at 6AM. When I played just after college the options were basically Coors Light and Labatt Blue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad