The Most Popular Beer in Beer Leagues?

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
My team usually does the local stuff, if you're from Greater Vancouver you'll recognize the names like Granville Island Brewery or Dead Frog (yuck).

A guy brought Sapporo once, which was pretty good haha.

My team actually has an unspoken rule, it seems. Try to bring a new beer every time, as the cooler gets passed to the new person. Sometimes people do just go with Canadian or Coors, but more often than not it's a local one.

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013
Seemed like either kokanee or olympia or whatever is cheapest on sale.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Surprisingly good topic :yo:

You want something that's light enough to be refreshing and have a couple after the game without getting too buzzed. But you also want something that doesn't taste terrible or like water.

Grain Belt Nordeast is really popular in Minnesota, even though it's only been around a few years. Very drinkable American lager, kind of sweet, rarely skunky. Very refreshing.

Maybe throw a couple microbrews in there for the guys that like variety. I'll try and throw a couple Guinness in the mix too.

And nobody's going to complain if there's some cheap beer at the bottom of the cooler when they go in for thirds or fourths.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
Most teams I've played on have been pretty exclusively Coors Light, the beer that hydrates.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
Labatt is the fall back...then anything from Bell's brewery if anyone's heard of that lol (Oberon, two hearted etc)

Maybe it's a Michigan thing, but Labatt has always been the standard in any league I have played in as well. Not too pretentious and not too refined; something everyone can agree on.

P.S. If you're bringing Bell's for everyone, I want to play on your team!

Chanbing96

Dec 19, 2012
Kalamazoo mi
Maybe it's a Michigan thing, but Labatt has always been the standard in any league I have played in as well. Not too pretentious and not too refined; something everyone can agree on.

P.S. If you're bringing Bell's for everyone, I want to play on your team!

i dont but two guys on my team do they are rich they dont drink "cheap beer" lol

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Surprisingly good topic :yo:

You want something that's light enough to be refreshing and have a couple after the game without getting too buzzed. But you also want something that doesn't taste terrible or like water.

Grain Belt Nordeast is really popular in Minnesota, even though it's only been around a few years. Very drinkable American lager, kind of sweet, rarely skunky. Very refreshing.

Maybe throw a couple microbrews in there for the guys that like variety. I'll try and throw a couple Guinness in the mix too.

And nobody's going to complain if there's some cheap beer at the bottom of the cooler when they go in for thirds or fourths.

Guinness in beer league? That's a new one lol

It's my favorite beer of all, but it just seems weird in a lockerroom. It's very drinkable though.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Molson Ex seems to me to be the beer most closely associated with hockey. Perhaps that's because I'm originally from Montreal. I don't actually like it myself (anymore), but that seems to be a 'hockey beer'. I pretty much only drink micros but will drink anything if pressed.

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
The last 3x I was on beer duty I brought Moosehead, Lienenkugel Summer Shandy, and Magic Hat Elder Betty - their summer seasonal.

I hate it when guys just bring something like Coors light or Bud or Miller light.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The last 3x I was on beer duty I brought Moosehead, Lienenkugel Summer Shandy, and Magic Hat Elder Betty - their summer seasonal.

I hate it when guys just bring something like Coors light or Bud or Miller light.

I agree.. I try to mix it up, but sometimes the price overrides most desires.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Molson Canadian, Yuengling, Labatt Blue, The other night someone brought Miller Light, someone brought Molson Ice before and then we have some guys who are into craft brews and brought Dogfish World Wide ----basically tastes like wine its so strong.

I work at a national liqour distributor (not a store...we actually sell to the liqour stores/hotels/events) and get deals on beer (7 bucks a 30 pack/24 pack of bottles) and have brought in Victory Golden Monkey and that seemed to do the job.

We are sponsered by a bar so we usually head over for pitchers after every game and end up with Bud Light/Miller Light.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
My rink does not allow outside booze and they are nut jobs about it. So we have to buy $3, 16 ounce cans of Labatt from them. They come in a Home Depot bucket filled with ice. Not my favorite beer, I too am more of a craft guy, but it's damn good right when you get off the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad