The most disappointing Flames.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
TJ Galiardi. I was so excited to have a Hitmen alumni on the Flames. He is a native Calgarian and a great guy. Just doesn't seem to be working out here though.

All time- Jokinen and Jbow. The Flames were one or two pieces away from a championship and they brought in the wrong one or two pieces. YUCK

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think the disappointment with Janko is that he was taken at all - and Weisbrod's claim of "best player in the draft".

The player himself will hardly be a disappointment, and in fact could be a pleasant surprise.

Don't you listen to anyone. We're not allowed to be down on Jankowski, no matter how poor he plays, or the better players that Calgary could have drafted in his place, or how he was drafted like 20 spots before anyone should have mentioned his name, or how he was suppose to be an all-star and we're not allowed to be disappointed that he's not looking like it even in college, or that he can't hold down first line duties in the NCAA, or that he's not a ppg player or near, or the guy we could have picked is playing big minutes in the NHL in a position we are desperately weak in.
Among other reasons we're not allowed to be down on him for.

Because:
The NCAA team he plays on is bad offensively, he's not grown into his body yet, we still don't know what we have in him and even if some of his counterparts are playing in the NHL already in big roles, we can't have that opinion.
Also:
He should have represented Canada, not because his uncle got him into their tryout/practice, because he's ripping up the NCAA playing for BC, I think he's got like 48 points in 24 games as a young man who hasn't grown into his frame. Oh ****, wait, that's our 4th rounder, 104th overall. Nevermind.

Jokes aside:
I know he's a project, but for a lot of people here, he's a disappointment currently because he was such an off-the-board selection, and Calgary was promised the sun and the stars by our GM for a kid who at the time hadn't done anything in any real league, and who hasn't still done anything in a real league. To boot the two guys we directly passed on; one of them just led his team to a gold in a tournament that had only a single Flames prospect, and who the top prospect for one of the most stacked teams in the league... he's putting up points in a men's division and arguably is a top 3 prospect not playing in NA. The second one is playing big minutes for the Pens in a position Calgary is truly void in. It sucks. It sucks that one year Flames are taking gambles on 5-10 year projects, and the next year they're saying they want their prospect to be able to make the jump right away.

I already know I'll get Flamed by the usual suspects, so I won't even defend my post, as we kind of know it's true.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
But for real disappointments:

I never liked Tony Amonte here. Matt Lombardi, who consistently looked like he was taking the steps to catch those hands up those wheels, and never did... A long list of first round picks between like: 1997-2010, minus Backs, Dion and Nystrom.

Kristian Huselius, not because he didn't play well, because he did... because we didn't sign him after, and his career toiled away in Columbus.
Jeff Friesen, who my friend met while shopping; and a few people gathered to get his signature and ask questions... He ended up blasting the Calgary system for his failures, like... out of no where.
Nigel Dawes didn't get a ton of time here and looked... pretty good actuallly. Then he left, as well.

Jay Bouw could fall here too. We got as advertised, a big minute eating dependable d--man... but man, we went out and spent a lot of money for him, and it hurt the team in the long run.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Don't you listen to anyone. We're not allowed to be down on Jankowski, no matter how poor he plays, or the better players that Calgary could have drafted in his place, or how he was drafted like 20 spots before anyone should have mentioned his name, or how he was suppose to be an all-star and we're not allowed to be disappointed that he's not looking like it even in college, or that he can't hold down first line duties in the NCAA, or that he's not a ppg player or near, or the guy we could have picked is playing big minutes in the NHL in a position we are desperately weak in.
Among other reasons we're not allowed to be down on him for.

Because:
The NCAA team he plays on is bad offensively, he's not grown into his body yet, we still don't know what we have in him and even if some of his counterparts are playing in the NHL already in big roles, we can't have that opinion.
Also:
He should have represented Canada, not because his uncle got him into their tryout/practice, because he's ripping up the NCAA playing for BC, I think he's got like 48 points in 24 games as a young man who hasn't grown into his frame. Oh ****, wait, that's our 4th rounder, 104th overall. Nevermind.

Jokes aside:
I know he's a project, but for a lot of people here, he's a disappointment currently because he was such an off-the-board selection, and Calgary was promised the sun and the stars by our GM for a kid who at the time hadn't done anything in any real league, and who hasn't still done anything in a real league. To boot the two guys we directly passed on; one of them just led his team to a gold in a tournament that had only a single Flames prospect, and who the top prospect for one of the most stacked teams in the league... he's putting up points in a men's division and arguably is a top 3 prospect not playing in NA. The second one is playing big minutes for the Pens in a position Calgary is truly void in. It sucks. It sucks that one year Flames are taking gambles on 5-10 year projects, and the next year they're saying they want their prospect to be able to make the jump right away.

I already know I'll get Flamed by the usual suspects, so I won't even defend my post, as we kind of know it's true.

I think you nailed it. I personally think he follow the same sort of on ice development that Colbourne is.

I think it will be when he is 23-24 that he really begins to give flames fans hope.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I was disappointed we didn't sign Theo Fleury after his comeback tryout during training camp. I would've love to have seen him play another season

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I was disappointed we didn't sign Theo Fleury after his comeback tryout during training camp. I would've love to have seen him play another season

Same here. I don't care if he was a little slow. He would've been awesome on the PP, and equally as good as someone like Dawes.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
You can consider most of the 1st rounders: Chucko, Pelech, Nemisz, Irving...

For players: Jokinen, Hagman, Kotalik, White, Stajan.....

hmm...:shakehead

trckrdr

Jan 31, 2013
I always loved him. I had really hoped he would have came back after the lockout to backup Kipper.

Me too. I feel like he gets a lot of undeserved criticism. Granted, I know what to look for in a player a lot better than I did when he was a Flame.

Not being too familiar with Andrei Zyuzin, I wasn't sure what to expect. Turns out the right answer was nothing.

Ozil

Mar 31, 2012
Calgary, AB
For me they are (in no particular order):

1. Jokinen: I too sung his praises when he was dealt here and by the time he left, I couldn't have been more relieved. Didn't produce like he did in Florida, but the bigger issue for me was how he'd go seemingly months without doing anything of note

2. Lombardi: One of the fastest skaters that I had some hope would develop into something more. I also think injuries happened for him at the wrong time, further hurting his development

3. Dustin Boyd: I remember the days when fans would be clamoring for him to play on the FAN 960 OT shows and while I think Sutter had a lot do with his development issues, he hasn't done a whole lot since leaving the organization either

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad