The most disappointing Flames.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Valeri Bure for me, his named carried too much weight for him to not disappoint.

He did well, but being a Bure made it pretty hard to be accepted as just "pretty good" for Flames fans, it seemed. Vesa Toskala would be another for me, mainly because (iirc) he wanted more money to be Kipper's backup. Matt Lombardi, Chris Drury, Dustin Boyd, Leland Irving, and the worst of them all..........................Joe Piskula.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
He did well, but being a Bure made it pretty hard to be accepted as just "pretty good" for Flames fans, it seemed. Vesa Toskala would be another for me, mainly because (iirc) he wanted more money to be Kipper's backup. Matt Lombardi, Chris Drury, Dustin Boyd, Leland Irving, and the worst of them all..........................Joe Piskula.

I had to google him to even know who he was.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Just the goalies for now:

Fuhr
Turek
Kidd
Irving
Braithwaite

Lol Fuhr disappointed you? He was in the last year of his career lol, that's like saying Cujo was a disappointment when he was a Flame. I think the resounding most disappointing goalie in Flames history is Trevor Kidd because of the hype surrounding him, and the team he had to try and win with.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Lol Fuhr disappointed you? He was in the last year of his career lol, that's like saying Cujo was a disappointment when he was a Flame. I think the resounding most disappointing goalie in Flames history is Trevor Kidd because of the hype surrounding him, and the team he had to try and win with.

More than anything because we took him when we could have taken Marty Brodeur.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Well they weren't disappointing as players, per se... They were just never given a chance (specifically MSL, which still bugs me to this day).

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
More than anything because we took him when we could have taken Marty Brodeur.

With that said I would argue that Brodeur and Kidd's fate may have been switched had their draft positions been switched. It's about development and Brodeur was developed better and could very well have been a product of the system at least early in his career. I doubt he would have been considered much better than Kidd was had Calgary developed him and not New Jersey.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Marc Savard and J.S. Giguere should be on this list out of pure hindsight. And Martin St. Louis.

Big difference between disappointing and bad trades.

Savard did very well here, but he wound up requesting a trade.

Giguere played like 20 games here. He did average, which was what was expected from him.

St.Louis saw success elsewhere, but he was still youngish and was just starting to develop. Again, I'm not sure much was expected from him to begin with.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I will say Dustin Boyd.

I think he played decent for us, but D.Sutter ruined him

Sep 12, 2012
Roman Cervenka:
"He's the best player not in the NHL!"
-We're told he's a centerman
-Not a centerman
-Slow as balls

But he knew how to score goals, so he had that going for him.

He was fine for the first 5 minutes of any game.
After that, he was functionally useless.

For me, it's got to be Stempniak.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He was fine for the first 5 minutes of any game.
After that, he was functionally useless.

For me, it's got to be Stempniak.

He couldn't work out for months before the season started due to his blood clot (It looks like it has atleast ended Vokoun's season if not career). It isn't fair to judge him as harsh as he was on here as he wasn't given a fighting chance.

Sep 12, 2012
Yeah, I know Cervenka's history. He showed up injured, and lost his conditioning, then was exiled to sheltered minutes.
He wasn't really a disappointment, he just had a few bad breaks all at the same time.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Yeah, I know Cervenka's history. He showed up injured, and lost his conditioning, then was exiled to sheltered minutes.
He wasn't really a disappointment, he just had a few bad breaks all at the same time.

I agree, I think if he had come over this year instead of last year he would have done much better.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
Tim Ramholt. Passed up Shea Weber to draft some Swiss(?) QMJHL defender 39th overall. I figure, if Sutter passed up Shea Weber for a Euro playing in the Q, he must be good.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
You're all gonna be mad at me, but Baertschi is working his way onto this list.

He can prove me wrong next year. I dare him.

Too early to say. He should've never been sent down with the crop of wingers we have right now. The point where he becomes a disappointment for me is when he can't break 60 points per season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad