Pre-Game Talk: The more things change the more they stay the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Tyler Toffoli has the same number of goals as Draisaitl and was imminently available this off season. He or Hoffman would have been on my list. We pick up a player like Turris. sigh.

We didn't even attempt to improve our topsix with additions. We didn't improve our bottomsix either. How is it possible that Holland has the team being worse this season?

We never give ourselves a chance to get in on a Toffoli. During the year whatever guy we have that's up for a contract that manages to put a good few weeks together scores all our free cap space on a new deal. Then we're looking for all the cheap scraps in the offseason with what's left to try to fill the gaping holes in the lineup. Lazy turd management with almost no vision.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sorry Wasn't trying to ignore you.... I'm only going to go from where he broke out

TURRIS (The Scrub)

2014 - 58 points
2015 - 64 points
2016 - 43 point pace
2017 - 58 point pace (Went to conference finals game 7 double overtime against the pens as the number 1C)
2018 - 67 point pace (in 11 games with Ottawa)

TRADE TO NASHVILLE WHICH RESULTED IN THE START OF THE MISUSE OF TURRIS WHO WAS ON FIRE LEAVING THE SENS IN THE DUCHENE TRADE:

2018 - 52 point pace
2019 - 34 point pace

TURRIS BECOMES CAPTAIN OF CANADA AND PLAYS TOP 6 ONCE AGAIN AND IS RELIED UPON FOR OFFENCE. WINS SILVER MEDAL WITH CANADA AND LEADS TEAM IN SCORING:

2019 - 14 points in 10 games (team canada)
2020 - 41 point pace (Nashville completely destroys Turris after bringing in Duchene, ultimately scratching him)

2021- So far Edmonton Oilers have given Turris zero opportunity to succeed.

I do thank you for all the effort in this, in the reply to me earlier, and in this post. I know that Turris put it together in Ottawa. Its weird because its the only place he ever did. What I get from that is a player that has had trouble self motivating, being in sync, or fitting in. I mean Turris was an abject disappointment in Nashville, they're paying to be rid of him. Turris was a terrible bust pick for the team that drafted him, I mean about as bad a flame out as top picks get. Now Turris is playing worse than any player in our lineup. A complete mess. I mean you seem entirely supportive of him but your narrative is that everyteam except Ottawa wrecks him. Well thats 3/4 NHL clubs so far, but you're saying the real Turris is the Ottawa segment. Well, its the only good segment. Turris is 31 yrs old and the clear feeling in Nashville was that he was done. This was a despised player in Nashville. Somebody that was supposed to be part of their offensive help, and that failed in relation to what he did in Ottawa.

Apparently it took Turris along time to get up to NHL speed, and then he had a 3yr window where he was good, and then a dropoff. I mean at least he put it together in Ottawa after the Phoenix implosion, I didn't know he ever would, but this guy has disappointed a lot of clubs, now us. I mean the only team that could be happy with him is Ottawa.

Ottawa was an overperforming club. Not sure what was in the water there but they got more out of Turris and some players. They were an odd team to figure out at any point and full of surprises. They had a moment. But I have to say I sure didn't mind seeing it all crashing down, and man that org imploded hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chabot84

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There is something in the water in Edmonton that's why players like Strome cant succeed here.. they receive close to zero real opportunity and then are discarded like trash. But don't worry Mcdavid and Draisaitl will be number 1 and number 2 in scoring!

I'm salty right now lol but its kinda true.

There is zero excuse to not be a playoff team at this point in time, its no longer the players fault its 100 percent management and management type decisions from top to bottom that is wrong with this hockey team.

Strome had ample time with Draisaitl, believe me, I know. Almost all of the time he was struggling as much as Kahun is right now. I mean one could see there was a player there, and just like with Kahun, you got moments, but Strome really wasn't that good here. I think in his case just seemed like a NY kind of guy that didn't want to be out in the hinterland..

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
The Lingerie Football League always got my attention :laugh:
703A092D-0347-4B0B-8226-93B01CDA8462.jpeg

good snapper here. We need a new snapper for the Packers. Ours is a FA and might be moving on. I think I found our new snapper.
You wouldn’t have to do much work to use these for a mask as well

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Strome had ample time with Draisaitl, believe me, I know. Almost all of the time he was struggling as much as Kahun is right now. I mean one could see there was a player there, and just like with Kahun, you got moments, but Strome really wasn't that good here. I think in his case just seemed like a NY kind of guy that didn't want to be out in the hinterland..

Strome got ~200 minutes with Drai 5v5 and scored 2.43 P/60. Which is pretty good. Got 58 minutes with McDavid scoring 2.04 P/60, not too bad as well, not really any time to try to create any chemistry, probably was just a shift here and there by accident or if one of McDavid's wingers needed a rest. All that was in his 1st season as he bounced around the lineup. In his last part season with us he played 4 minutes with Drai and 2 with McDavid, just shift change overlap time as he was designated to be Pulju and Lucic's babysitter on the 3rd line.

For comparison sake, Nuge is at 1.55 P/60 with McDavid this year. Yams 2.75 with Drai.

Personally, I don't think Strome was ever given a consistent opportunity in the top 6. He was banished from ever playing with McDavid for some reason. I think because the media kept asking McLellan if he would be tried there, so it became off-limits, since it would seem like it was the media's idea, not McLellan's. His 2nd season here was weird, just locked into the 3rd line C spot, and he was actually pretty upbeat still. Dumped him for Spooner because a terrible manager was just throwing crap against the wall to try to save his job.

Reactions: Chabot84

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Strome got ~200 minutes with Drai 5v5 and scored 2.43 P/60. Which is pretty good. Got 58 minutes with McDavid scoring 2.04 P/60, not too bad as well, not really any time to try to create any chemistry, probably was just a shift here and there by accident or if one of McDavid's wingers needed a rest. All that was in his 1st season as he bounced around the lineup. In his last part season with us he played 4 minutes with Drai and 2 with McDavid, just shift change overlap time as he was designated to be Pulju and Lucic's babysitter on the 3rd line.

For comparison sake, Nuge is at 1.55 P/60 with McDavid this year. Yams 2.75 with Drai.

Personally, I don't think Strome was ever given a consistent opportunity in the top 6. He was banished from ever playing with McDavid for some reason. I think because the media kept asking McLellan if he would be tried there, so it became off-limits, since it would seem like it was the media's idea, not McLellan's. His 2nd season here was weird, just locked into the 3rd line C spot, and he was actually pretty upbeat still. Dumped him for Spooner because a terrible manager was just throwing crap against the wall to try to save his job.

3C is a graveyard here because are lacking depth.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Jesus Christ. We don’t deserve Connor. We got lucky to get the best player in the world and the stupid, baseless speculation I read on here about him pisses me off. The stuff I’ve heard firsthand from guys that have coached and played with him in the NHL is 180° different than the shit I read here.

If you disagree honestly don’t even respond, just put me on ignore because I don’t want to hear your homemade bullshit theories. I’ll trust people in the room with him.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Jesus Christ. We don’t deserve Connor. We got lucky to get the best player in the world and the stupid, baseless speculation I read on here about him pisses me off. The stuff I’ve heard firsthand from guys that have coached and played with him in the NHL is 180° different than the shit I read here.

If you disagree honestly don’t even respond, just put me on ignore because I don’t want to hear your homemade bullshit theories. I’ll trust people in the room with him.
This is the same fan group that thought there was an actual thing going on with draisaitl and nurse.

They love just making shit up.

Reactions: PGW and TB12

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
There is something in the water in Edmonton that's why players like Strome cant succeed here.. they receive close to zero real opportunity and then are discarded like trash. But don't worry Mcdavid and Draisaitl will be number 1 and number 2 in scoring!

I'm salty right now lol but its kinda true.

There is zero excuse to not be a playoff team at this point in time, its no longer the players fault its 100 percent management and management type decisions from top to bottom that is wrong with this hockey team.

That's either a coaching thing or things being dictated from up high. 60% of the human body is made of water, so it's technically true no matter what

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Don’t we pay McDavid the money we do because he’s so good he should be able to play with almost anyone? If he’s not, why is he getting paid as much as he is?

It's kind of the Pittsburgh model, I get it.

Geno always got the skilled wingers and Crosby had to play with plumbers.

McDavid can and has done it alone, but I personally prefer a skilled player like RNH on his line

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

:clap:

Reactions: TB12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad