The Montreal Canadiens' System

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What, you're infuriated by a basic hockey diagram ? Every team practices that play because it's often the right play depending on circumstances.

It's never the right play. The only accepted dump and chase play is when you're team is on a line change or when you see your winger in great strides to recover the puck.
We rarely get to the puck first, we blindly dump it while our forwards are standing still, when we do catch the defenseman that was first on the puck, we rarely win the board battle. All in all, it's just terrible.

I would never tell my players to dump the puck in. It would be an absolutely last resort. Even if you think there's no other option, I'd rather the player skates back while maintaining possession, move the puck around a bit, switch formations, cycle it, KEEP DA FAKING PUCK!
Formations? You think Therrien even has one? Because I don't. Not at ES.

His dump and chase system is what pee-wee players do. Try to skate the puck up the ice, if you don't see an opening, dump it in the corner and try to get it back. It's freaking Pejorative Slured.
And we're just talking zone entries here. I haven't seen one set play all year. I see no formation. Our defensive zone coverage is the perfect example of a confused unit. Just horrible all around. Now we don't even have our PP to get us out of trouble anymore, and without Price? Forget it. We're toast.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
The Canadiens "System" in Six Rules:

1- Look busy, do close to nothing on ice but do it while you skate real fast.
(mostly so the big guys on the other team wont smash yer noggin on the boards)

2- Dump the puck in the other team's zone. Do that often.
(Mostly for the same reason as Rule No 1.)

3- Look busy trying to get that puck back... And do absolutely nothing if you happen to get the darn puck. Maybe just act surprised then...
(dont forget to apply Rule No 1)

4- Score the smallest number of goals per game whilst still trying to look like a team that "works" hard.

5- Lose all your one on one fights. DO NOT go for a re- match!

6- Find good excuses after a loss but try to disguise said excuses into some convoluted reason why your team stunk up the place tonight.

6- Have some French coach busily make up phony almost-excuses and shady reasons that shouldnt be taken as excuses even if your motto is "No excuses"(like "Da pocke she waz nut round twonite...")

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Dump and Chase & Trapping game was invented by New Jersey 20 years ago! Chances are it won't work now. lol

Masuli

May 8, 2013
Turku, Finland
I loved the hard forecheck speedy transition thing we had going on last season. Then we were dissolved by other teams and MT's adjustment in the summer was abbandon the whole system all together.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
I'm a bit confused about our play system. Are we an offensive team? A defensive team? Somewhere in between? We don't score enough to be an offensive team, and we let in 3+ goals per game so not really defensive. Why are we a grinding team?

David Desharnais - 5'6" 160lbs grinder?
Brendan Gallagher - 5'8" 170lbs grinder?
Tomas Plekanec - 5'10" 180lbs grinder?
Brian Gionta - 5'7" 180lbs grinder?
Daniel Briere - 5'8" 170lbs grinder?
Brandon Prust - 5'11" 190lbs grinder? OK he is.
Mike Weaver - 5'10" 180lbs grinder?
Francis Bouillon - 5'7" 180lbs grinder?

We have the most players in the league under 6' and 180lbs and somehow we a grinding team. Are we going to grind our way beating Boston, Ottawa, Chicago, Anahiem, Toronto, St Louis, LA, San Jose? Why do we need to play a defensive system? We are not New Jersey, I remember the old days when we were always to top offensive team in the league.

Lol. We have been a team without strong leadership and misguided identity for twenty years. It is the blind leading the blind for twenty years. Our goal seems to be throw the fans a bone by getting into playoffs and who cares about the rest.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
The Canadiens "System" in Six Rules:

1- Look busy, do close to nothing on ice but do it while you skate real fast.
(mostly so the big guys on the other team wont smash yer noggin on the boards)

2- Dump the puck in the other team's zone. Do that often.
(Mostly for the same reason as Rule No 1.)

3- Look busy trying to get that puck back... And do absolutely nothing if you happen to get the darn puck. Maybe just act surprised then...
(dont forget to apply Rule No 1)

4- Score the smallest number of goals per game whilst still trying to look like a team that "works" hard.

5- Lose all your one on one fights. DO NOT go for a re- match!

6- Find good excuses after a loss but try to disguise said excuses into some convoluted reason why your team stunk up the place tonight.

6- Have some French coach busily make up phony almost-excuses and shady reasons that shouldnt be taken as excuses even if your motto is "No excuses"(like "Da pocke she waz nut round twonite...")

Lol. This is priceless. Thanks for the laugh mate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad