The Mikhail Grigorenko Thread Part II (assigned to Québec)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevbeau

Sponsor
Jul 11, 2006
Keep in mind, his agent isn't making money while he's in Quebec. I think he's getting some advice that's in someone else's best interest.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Keep in mind, his agent isn't making money while he's in Quebec. I think he's getting some advice that's in someone else's best interest.

Wouldn't surprise me. It's also easy advice to take when you look at the money you're giving up. Shortsighted, but most 19 year olds are.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
Obviously Murray and co. had a conversation with him and his agent and must have laid out some kind of plan for him... I'm glad he's accepted his assignment now, and it seems like the best path would be to finish the junior year, go to the AHL, then stay there until next season. But for a guy who wanted to be in the NHL so badly, it must have been pretty hard. Hopefully after the previous regime's mistakes they can start a clean slate with Grigs.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Good news. I really hope this relationship can be repaired. He's the most talented forward in our pipeline, and even if he has effort issues, a long term future as a second line scoring winger would fill a real hole for us.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

I don't think it's really the case with Grossman. That's him who brought him to NA for Quebec.He could have stayed in Russia and make much more money in the KHL.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Also, let it be said that this is circumstantial evidence that the Murray regime passed its first crisis test. Not much to go on here, but we at least know he came out and did something persuasive for the good of the player and the franchise.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I don't like his attitude....Seems like him and his agent know it all, and are demanding....I say trade him...Better off without him....If he blossoms somewhere else so be it...But in the meantime we can get something for him...

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
I don't like his attitude....Seems like him and his agent know it all, and are demanding....I say trade him...Better off without him....If he blossoms somewhere else so be it...But in the meantime we can get something for him...

Agreed.

The sooner, the better.

So, it would be a good idea to essentially trade one of your two 2012 1st round picks for almost nothing while his value is probably as low as possible? Doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

Exique*

Agreed.

The sooner, the better.

The thing is - he has almost no value(especially after these antics). We might as well keep him for a bit and see how this goes, it's not like we're gonna loose something by giving him another chance. Sure, his latest behaviour sucks, but he's only 19...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The thing is - he has almost no value(especially after these antics). We might as well keep him for a bit and see how this goes, it's not like we're gonna loose something by giving him another chance. Sure, his latest behaviour sucks, but he's only 19...

The biggest issue is what happens once his ELC expires after next season and the KHL comes calling?

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
So, it would be a good idea to essentially trade one of your two 2012 1st round picks for almost nothing while his value is probably as low as possible? Doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

Exactly. Don't sell low.

The biggest issue is what happens once his ELC expires after next season and the KHL comes calling?

The same thing that would have happened in one additional year if Regier hadn't started his contract when he did: Grigs will have a choice to make.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The same thing that would have happened in one additional year if Regier hadn't started his contract when he did: Grigs will have a choice to make.

Not necessarily. Grigs getting jerked around from here to there and back might have soured him quicker than if they had taken the slow cooking approach and returned him to the Q last year and this year straight away and not messed around by giving him a taste of the NHL and taking it away.

But, we shall see...

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

I don't agree with the premise that his value is nil. He hasn't looked good so far in the NHL. So? Many of his peers haven't even cracked the NHL. Unfortunately for Grigorenko, he's playing in the same organization as Girgensons, who has developed at an accelerated pace. While there are the Hertl's and Girgensons' of the world, there are plenty of guys from his draft who aren't developing their games in junior (Faksa and Koekkoek come to mind). Grigs puts up very good numbers in junior.

I think GMTM can sell a team that he's still one of the better players in his age group. And I'm sure there are other organizations who think we screwed up his development and they would do a better job of bringing Grigs along.

I think we could get something pretty good for him.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
We should probably put all the spazzy, knee-jerkers, on suicide watch after this news.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Glad he came to his senses and reported.

I don't think it's really the case with Grossman. That's him who brought him to NA for Quebec.He could have stayed in Russia and make much more money in the KHL.

As our eyes on the ground there, please feel free to keep us up to date with what you see. Many thanks.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
I don't agree with the premise that his value is nil. He hasn't looked good so far in the NHL. So? Many of his peers haven't even cracked the NHL. Unfortunately for Grigorenko, he's playing in the same organization as Girgensons, who has developed at an accelerated pace. While there are the Hertl's and Girgensons' of the world, there are plenty of guys from his draft who aren't developing their games in junior (Faksa and Koekkoek come to mind). Grigs puts up very good numbers in junior.

I think GMTM can sell a team that he's still one of the better players in his age group. And I'm sure there are other organizations who think we screwed up his development and they would do a better job of bringing Grigs along.

I think we could get something pretty good for him.

Girgensons has 3 more things over Grigorenko:

1) Lower talent ceiling; his primary draft asset was his work ethic combined with his leadership skills. Far less is expected of him (work hard, score a bit, be a pest)
2) Nolan. Don't underestimate the chances he's been handed due to his previous relationship with Nolan.
3) His not Russian. That should be self explanatory.

To be honest I don't blame him. He was billed as a high pick that was dropped until 12th then messed around by the first GM his ever known who happened to be in the middle. The kid is probably feeling a little jaded. He see's Girgensons on the top line and wonders what his done wrong.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/sabres-grigorenko-balking-at-junior-move-20140111

An NHL source said Pat LaFontaine, the Sabres’ president of hockey operations, met with Grigorenko for about a half-hour Saturday and that the 19-year-old was upset with the team’s decision.

Nolan said he was in the meeting with LaFontaine and new general manager Tim Murray, and backed that account when asked about the decision after practice Saturday.

“He was a little bit upset I imagine but this is non-negotiable,†Nolan said. “It’s one of those things that has to be done. There’s only a certain amount you can direct and put people in position. It comes down to whether they want it or not. If he wants it, he wants to be here, he’ll work at it.â€

Grigorenko had reportedly cooled off by the end of the meeting and understood the Sabres’ stance that he should return to junior to play 20-25 minutes a game on a top line and try to push his team toward the Memorial Cup.

Ted didn't mince words there....

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
So a KID got disappointed and lashed out on FB? Stop the presses!!

Having disappointment about going 2 levels down from the NHL is understandable. Grigs using FB to vent is immature and he's removed it... so whatever. He's also agreed (was convinced) to go to Quebec.

Everything that happened this week will be overshadowed by his performance in the Q. If he works on his development, then this whole thing is a fart in a blanket.

If he sulks after getting onto the Remparts, then this is a larger problem than a kid on FB.

It's really a shame that he can't report to the Amerks. That would be the perfect stepping stone right now.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Grigorenko should have reported and that is that. If upset he might have asked for a little time and everyone kept quiet while emotions cooled. All that said I think Nolan should have kept his mouth shut. He can decide not to play him but let the GM make public comments on player moves. As for the fans and media-the vitriol is beyond belief. I might add that the constant comparison to Girgensons is unfair-Girgs got a year in the AHL---and how many points does he have? and how much is his plus minus in the black? Yeah I love his energy. A team of guys who try hard is great--but developing a possible offensively gifted talent means dealing with egos sometimes and until it is proven that it is not worth it there should be some slack---Seguin, Kessel, maybe Khadri, are examples. I do not mean special treatment about playing time or team movements-rather public comments made to humiliate or shame a young asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad