The Metro - how do you see it? Short term and long term

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
@koteka Not much disagreement here. IMO Isles and Canes seem to be 'locks' for playoffs and Devils and Jackets are out but those four other teams are quite unpredictable.

Very interesting to see whether Flyers' offseason moves will pay off or not.

I'm also excited to follow how our potential rookies are developing compared to prospects of division rivals, especially if most of the 2020 first round picks are in the line up (mid round picks, all forwards): Chinakhov vs Foerster vs Mercer vs Jarvis etc.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Pretty much agree but I think the Devils are going to be a bit of a surprise. Probably outside looking in as far as playoffs but close.

Going forward Pitt and Caps in decline. Pitt a bit faster than Caps. Isles are old so they could only have a year or two left as a top team.

Rangers appear to be the team of the future in the Metro. Devils & Jackets should be risers.

Carolina should remain formidable unless Dundon screws them up. Flyers are iffy going forward.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Very interesting to see whether Flyers' offseason moves will pay off or not.

Any other team trades away its tied-for-top-points-man and top assist man and everyone’s like ‘what are they thinking’ and ‘who’s going to set up their goal-scorers’.

But that player gets traded to the CBJ and somehow it’s not a disaster waiting to happen.

(Yes, I realize that one move was not made in isolation.)

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Long term I think we are in good shape. If we don’t blow our draft picks.

Pittsburgh should eventually collapse and start to rebuild.

Washington will turn into a team solely focused on Ovi chasing the record.

The Canes might scare me with a different owner. But I think they will be rebuilding in a few years. Aho could walk in 3 years — is anyone confident they will keep him?

The Islanders are my pick to win the Cup this year and will continue their run for 2 or 3 more years, but they have cap and age issues.

The Rangers should be on the upswing. But they have a lot of cap and term tied up in Panarin and Kreider who will both be 30 this season. Fox is going to cost a lot. What are they going to do with Zibanejad? They have recent high picks Laf and Kakko and are a desirable place for free agents, but will a more active Dolan screw everything up?

I like the future of the Devils.

The Flyers are a wild card. Giroux’s cap hit comes off the books next year. JVR’s hit is gone the next year. They rebuilt the D this off season - will that work? Carter Hart is only 23.

In a few years we could have a new, talented, hungry CBJ battling for the playoffs against the Devils, Flyers, and Rangers.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
My concern is for last several years we have all been convinced Pittsburgh and Washington are on way down and they always seem to find a way.
Yes they both have a core of very veteran players who are aging, but I think certain teams know how to win (the Culture of the organization) while others don't.

I agree we're going to get crushed this year. Future looks ok as long as young players develop (probably only about the 20th off season we have said that I guess).
The Canes are really interesting, lot of questionable moves but still looks like a solid team.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The division looks flat to me.

So the Jackets won't be favored to win vs anyone within the division this year, but with some improvements they can pass a lot of teams quickly. No team looks like a juggernaut long term at this point.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Pens and Caps will be over the hill by our next window probably

Rangers and Canes owners will ensure they don't get too good (almost feel bad for Canes fans)

On paper the Islanders and Devils are the ones to worry about in a few years. The islanders especially imo.

Good time to be rebuilding for us. No point in forcing it before we're ready

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Pens and Caps will be over the hill by our next window probably

Rangers and Canes owners will ensure they don't get too good (almost feel bad for Canes fans)

On paper the Islanders and Devils are the ones to worry about in a few years. The islanders especially imo.

Good time to be rebuilding for us. No point in forcing it before we're ready

Not sure I see this. Their time is now and maybe for the next two years. They have an aged core with a few good young guys thrown in. I
am not familiar with their prospects so maybe that is where the watch out comes from.

Reactions: majormajor

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Not sure I see this. Their time is now and maybe for the next two years. They have an aged core with a few good young guys thrown in. I
am not familiar with their prospects so maybe that is where the watch out comes from.

The Pens have had one first round draft pick in the last 7 drafts. Samuel Poulin in 2019. They would trade their late first round picks for actual players.

——————————

edit - Nevermind. Misread what you posted, and didn’t realize you were talking about the Islanders. But still, the Penguins are going to bad when it all ends.

Reactions: EspenK

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think that depends entirely on what "a few years" is interpreted as. Sure, more than a few of the important supporting cast are a little too close to (or even on the wrong side of) 30, but their defense is in good shape for a while yet (Pulock, Pelech, Dobson), and Barzal and Beauvillier are both 24.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I don't think they'll be going anywhere if they keep their very best players and their coach. I have no idea how long Trotz wants to keep at it though.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think they'll be going anywhere if they keep their very best players and their coach. I have no idea how long Trotz wants to keep at it though.

The Isles don't have much coming in young talent to take over as their older guys get more expensive or age out.

Just looking at guys under the age of 25 the Isles have a few bright spots in Barzal, Beauvillier, Dobson, and Wahlstrom, and then it falls off a cliff. The Jackets have similar value under 25 guys on the roster like Werenski, Laine, Roslovic, Texier, and Bemstrom, but the list keeps going from there into really promising prospects that the Isles don't have counterparts for.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The Isles don't have much coming in young talent to take over as their older guys get more expensive or age out.

Just looking at guys under the age of 25 the Isles have a few bright spots in Barzal, Beauvillier, Dobson, and Wahlstrom, and then it falls off a cliff. The Jackets have similar value under 25 guys on the roster like Werenski, Laine, Roslovic, Texier, and Bemstrom, but the list keeps going from there into really promising prospects that the Isles don't have counterparts for.
Well, yeah, but we're not competing at the same level the Islanders are right now and for the immediate future. So it's just a question of "how long is 'a few years'".

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well, yeah, but we're not competing at the same level the Islanders are right now and for the immediate future. So it's just a question of "how long is 'a few years'".

I don't think the Isles are that great to begin with. 12th in the league last year, and from their age profile you wouldn't expect them to continually improve from here. They might continue to be especially strong in the playoffs but I wouldn't expect them to be top two in the division in a few years, no. Few meaning three years, maybe four.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't think the Isles are that great to begin with. 12th in the league last year, and from their age profile you wouldn't expect them to continually improve from here. They might continue to be especially strong in the playoffs but I wouldn't expect them to be top two in the division in a few years, no. Few meaning three years, maybe four.
The bolded is most of what I care about in any case. If we're just looking at regular season standings, then, yeah, they'll probably continue to hover in that "go ahead, underrate us, we enjoy it" range. :)

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Long term I think we are in good shape. If we don’t blow our draft picks.

Pittsburgh should eventually collapse and start to rebuild.

Washington will turn into a team solely focused on Ovi chasing the record.

The Canes might scare me with a different owner. But I think they will be rebuilding in a few years. Aho could walk in 3 years — is anyone confident they will keep him?

The Islanders are my pick to win the Cup this year and will continue their run for 2 or 3 more years, but they have cap and age issues.

The Rangers should be on the upswing. But they have a lot of cap and term tied up in Panarin and Kreider who will both be 30 this season. Fox is going to cost a lot. What are they going to do with Zibanejad? They have recent high picks Laf and Kakko and are a desirable place for free agents, but will a more active Dolan screw everything up?

I like the future of the Devils.

The Flyers are a wild card. Giroux’s cap hit comes off the books next year. JVR’s hit is gone the next year. They rebuilt the D this off season - will that work? Carter Hart is only 23.

In a few years we could have a new, talented, hungry CBJ battling for the playoffs against the Devils, Flyers, and Rangers.
Thanks for writing this and saving me a lot of typing. :thumbu:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I hope we play good competitive games and our players gain experience, but finish in the bottom 10 with a chance at the #1 pick. I hope Chicago does the same. I think we will have some guys that play really well this year, we just don't have a competitive lineup yet. we are at least 2 years more likely 3 years away from competing for playoffs again. This isn't the end of the world, the future already looks brighter than it did when PLD did his little lap against Tampa early last season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Division is solid but not spectacular like the Atlantic. There's no "terrible" teams like a Detroit to point at. We're probably the worst team in the division this year due to our green defense and horrid centers. But I could see us finishing ahead of Jersey and Philly if the cards fall correctly.

Long term I like our odds. Pittsburgh and Washington are going to be awful when their superstars age, and the rosters have holes on them already. The Islanders are old. The Canes seem to be more interested in saving money than spending for a winner. The Flyers are just meh, both on the current roster and future outlook. It's us, NYR, and Jersey with the best futures.

I can see us competing for the top of the division in 2-3 years. The Atlantic will make things difficult to get a wild card spot. This year we'll be competitive but lose in a lot of games that we allow over 2 goals. and given our green defense its going to be a struggle there too. If we continue to go younger and younger with the guys coming in, the window to compete will keep getting pushed back a year. So the sooner the kids get here and get experience the better, but we also have to be patient. Once Johnson, Sillinger, Chinakhov, Marchenko, Tarasov, and others all get here and play together to build chemistry will be when we start making noise.

Short term? Islanders, Penguins, and Canes. Rangers are real close and will push too.

Longish term (3+ years)? Us, Jersey, and Rangers look good. Canes will be there too since their core is really young but will they pay them? Flyers are meh. Islanders, Caps, and Pens will be awful.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
In the long run I like our chances just because of the front office. My two biggest concerns are 1) to find high end talent for top 6, elite players who want to be part of the plan at a reasonable price, and 2) to maintain that hard working professional attitude within the group that our old core and Torts were establishing and which gave us a huge advantage in games against division rivals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad