The Menu Part 6 Gritty's Healthy and Unhealthy edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
White Asparagus or Spargel in German. Springtime in Baden-Wurttsburg, the Germans go nuts over it. Cook it with olive oil, springle a little cheese and bits of ham. My HQ's was in Karlsruhe and I would take customers over in the springtime and feast on the food. Rattstuben in Ettlingen near Karlsruhe had the best. Wegman's has it once in a while in the spring.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
Honestly never heard of this anti-tomato phenomenon before. You poor souls. There's nothing like a gigantic jersey tomato sandwich at the shore in summer. Huge meaty watermelon-like slabs of intricately bisecting passageways like this (with lightly toasted bread and a scant amount of mayo). Lettuce or bacon are completely unnecessary. Doesn't get any better.

Dj9SXjSX4AAohsY.jpg
i think most of it has to do with,the gmo grocery store stuff, that people are used to. no taste or flavor.tomatoes ripened on the vine, from the farm or home grown are the only ones worthy of being called real tomatoes.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Time to go to the unhealthy side....

Lunch today:

2 Pretzel dogs from Philly Pretzel Factory with spicy mustard.

I can feel my arteries.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
i think most of it has to do with,the gmo grocery store stuff, that people are used to. no taste or flavor.tomatoes ripened on the vine, from the farm or home grown are the only ones worthy of being called real tomatoes.
There's nothing worse than getting a hoagie and finding that white, mealy, flavorless tomato on it.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
I never buy those hoagies, they are nasty.

Sugar Hill Subs
Greenmans
Slacks Hoagie Shack

are my go to's for hoagies.
That's the thing Lou. A bad tomato isn't always an indication of a bad hoagie spot. Sometimes the good places just can't get tomatoes of acceptable quality.

Having a true Jersey tomato at the peak of the season will ruin most other tomatoes for anyone. Think of all the people out there who are eating garbage tomatoes and will never even have the chance to enjoy what we have access to in the summer.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
A great tasting tomato, has its place. In a salad, great. On the side, great. Hell, I have eaten them just like an apple. But for me, I just can't stand a "warm" slice of tomato like on a heated sub/hoagie, hamburger, chicken sandwich, etc... It tastes gross when that happens.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I'm not sure if any of you have taken RT 73 south on your way to the AC Shore, you can get on the AC expressway where 73 ends. However in Folsom on 73 just past the Police station on the right if you're traveling south. You will see a Citgo station on the left and just past that on the right is a Farmer's outdoor stand.

They sell fruits veggies all fresh. Every time I go by there it's always packed.

As far as Tomatoes go in general, I prefer the small cherry tomatoes.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
I'll give you that, although it's unfair to make a GMO association. Mass production is responsible for tastelessness regardless of what genes you alter. I just know that in my old house all I had were 2 20 by 1.5 foot strips of soil in a backyard with 2 trees in it, and all the leaves/needles from those trees must have all rotted in those strips year after year because after a while the tomatoes I got out of it were superb. In the end I was making sauce with literally just a splash of wine and nothing else, simmering the liquid slowly down until it was just the taste of tomato.

I should have dug up that dirt and brought it with me like f***ing Dracula.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad