The media is not all over Kessel's goal production because...

Apr 1, 2010
We are winning, that is why no one cares (which everyone does, people freak out about it on here all the time)

Has nothing to do with Seguin, that trade is history, and no one cares about it anymore. We have Phil Kessel, they have Seguin, and Hamilton

Wow, You must have a lot of people on these boards on ignore. :laugh:

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
This topic is very true - Seguin's not playing like a star and the Leafs are winning so there's not much of a point in writing negative news about Kessel. The vultures will save those stories for if we go into a slump (and if we don't, hey, they'll be great if he gets a raise this summer!)

Yup, they probably already have the articles saved and ready to go:

"Leafs need more out of Kessel"
"Kessel brought in to score goals, not watch them go in on his own net"
"Lack of intensity raises questions about Kessel's future with Leafs"
:laugh:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
That's easy to say. But let's say Leafs make the playoffs at 7th or 8th, Kessel has about 9 goals in 48 games and is the 2nd or 3rd leading scorer on the team...would you be satisfied with Kessel's production? That might be easy to say about a guy like Kulemin but when you're one the highest paid players on the team and supposed to be the best goal scorer, people will give a rat's ass because with more production people will say we could have been 4th or so with home ice in the playoffs.

If were in the playoffs NO ONE in Toronto will care.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
and he sucks defensively. i can't stand him on his defensive game :laugh:

And I think Kadri has had the setup assist on all but one of his goals...Mac began the season scoreless in like his last 20 games until Krayon gave him a gift in Pittsburgh.

DaveT83*

If this was a big deal. Im sure the cancuks who apparently follow the score a lot, would've won the cup against the bruins.

In other words completely disregard any statistic that doesn't show PK in a positive light.

Can't talk about Goals anymore
Can't talk about Plus/Minus
Can't talk about Hits
Can't talk about his Defensive Play (except the one or two times he backchecked one game in his career)
Can't talk about Blocked shots
Can't talk about Even Strength Offence
Can't even talk about the success of other players on roster without giving PK credit for "Drawing other teams top defendors" thus making it easier for them lol
Can't talk about the players that we traded to acquire him.
Up until this week we couldn't even discuss the merits of trading him ...

I guess all thats left are assists - he's 32nd in the NHL with 12 - Our very own Nazim Kadri has him beat with 13 though:help:

number72

Oct 9, 2011
Exactly. Plus Healy just said, "Sure Kessel scores goals, but look at Plekanec...". That too, Healy gave Kessel too much credit as Kessel really isn't scoring goals right now.

Healy can be annoying at times but I think his point was if Plekanec can't score he can contribute other ways with hsi defence. When kessel's is not scoring then his 1D game is gone. He can't fight and his defence is about near as good as goon line.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Healy can be annoying at times but I think his point was if Plekanec can't score he can contribute other ways with hsi defence. When kessel's is not scoring then his 1D game is gone. He can't fight and his defence is about near as good as goon line.

To be fair, on some nights recently, The goon line created more opportunities than kessel :laugh:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Wow, You must have a lot of people on these boards on ignore. :laugh:

I must. I hardly see the trolls mention it because Burke is gone now.

That trade had 1 purpose to people, to hate on Burke. No one hated on Kessel for it, mainly because it's not his fault.

I rarely see it mentioned

xyzz

Aug 18, 2008
...today Tyler Seguin scored his whopping 4th goal of the year.

That's right- the media, and many Leafs "fans" would be all over Kessel and ripping the guy left and right over every opportunity they could get. I barely hear anything on the radio about it. Sure there has been the odd speculation of trading him for Perry or his next contract but there isn't much attention especially since Kessel just played two very weak games against the NYI and Habs. Possibly his softest games since the debaucle with Rotten Ronnie...and there was a tonne of media coverage over that.

But if the prodigy, Tyler "thank-you Kessel" Seguin had been playing at even an average production rate, Kessel would be pig roast by now thanks to Schimmonds and co.

Sure, it helps the Leafs are winning a bit more but even at the same pace and let's say Tyler "thank-you Kessel" Seguin had about 8-9 goals- que the bar-b-que. All we would be hearing is oh what could have been...Seguin would have made this team into a legit contender, says so Steve Schimmonds.

wrong. THe reason he is not being called out is that the leafs are winning. Once we have a 2 or 3 game losing streak, he'll be called out as he should.

Jacob8hockey*

The media is not all over Kessel's goal production because...
a) the team is in the playoffs at the moment
b) he still is putting up points/dominating at times
c) other players have picked it up

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The Media's not all over it because hes generating chances, unlucky bounces. How many has he hit off the post so far this season? 9 ? 10 ? When he stops getting chances completely is when he'll be swarmed. Also its Kessel's line who goes out against other teams top pairings. Kadri playing third line goes up against third line defenders, so to say Kadri is out doing him is just a little bit unfair. I do agree Kadri's playing phenomenal but that's not a fair comparison

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Also expect Kessel to break out soon. Teams are going to realize its the Kadri line thats doing a lot of damage, so they'll throw their top d pairings at them. Thats either gonna put Kessel up against sub par defenceman or more fatigued top pairing defenceman. The reason Kadri gets a lot of his chances is because of who he's matched up against. Not taking anything away from the kid, he's playing well for us but playing third pairing d men is a huge factor contributing to his success.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
In other words completely disregard any statistic that doesn't show PK in a positive light.

Can't talk about Hits
Can't talk about his Defensive Play (except the one or two times he backchecked one game in his career)
Can't even talk about the success of other players on roster without giving PK credit for "Drawing other teams top defendors" thus making it easier for them lol

I guess all thats left are assists - he's 32nd in the NHL with 12 - Our very own Nazim Kadri has him beat with 13 though:help:
good post

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
My beef with Kessel is this

He is supposedly our "best" player and he is being payed like one, yet he is not proving himself. Yes, I know he is getting chances but he needs to BURY them, I'm sorry but its pathetic how Kadri who is getting 3rd line minutes is outdoing him, I'll tell you a bad comparsion Kadri got 75% of Kessel's goal totals on the season in 1 game.

Also the last 3-4 games Kessel has been invisible, not creating chances, trying to go 1on3, turning the puck over, being lazy in his own end. I'm not saying Kessel has to be this big rock em' sock em player but he needs to get back to being an elite offensive player he was last year.

Phil Kessel is the third highest paid player on the Leafs, actually, and he's the third leading scorer this year... :laugh: Where's Grabovski's points, he's the highest paid Leaf forward...

DaveT83*

Phil Kessel is the third highest paid player on the Leafs, actually, and he's the third leading scorer this year... :laugh: Where's Grabovski's points, he's the highest paid Leaf forward...

This argument has so many holes in it its not funny.

Wizeman*

Canucks fan here. Also big Kessel fan.

Hes doing fine. Our very own Ryan Kesler made this transition . It happens.

Kesler scored 21 of this 37 points as goals. Then he scores 24 goals but 59 points as a winger. Then he scores 26 goals and 76 points as a winger.

Turned into a playmaker?

then he scores 41 goals and 73 points, so back to the goal scoring. In fact, canuck fans are complaing he HOGS the puck too much now. (well, if he wasnt perpetually injured that is)

So fret not Leaf fans. Kessel is doing fine. This year he is becoming a playmaker. Enjoy watching him evolve into a well rounded player :)

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009

Can't talk about Hits

:laugh: :handclap:

Disgruntled Observer*

Both Kessel and Seguin are slumping...

while in these slumps, Seguin is leading his entire elite team in +/-. He's 2nd in the entire league for heavens sake.

Kessel, on a team with substantially more goals for than against, is still a minus player. Still a minus player.

Let's also add that while Kessel is a veteran in his seventh nhl season, Seguin's in his third and Hamilton is a freaking rookie.
Nevertheless, those two players (3rd season and rookie) STILL have a total of 23 points, compared to Kessel's 16.
All while neither Seguin nor Hamilton are given the top line minutes and first rate PP time that Kessel gets.

No matter how you slice it... that trade was a disaster. It was such a terrible thing to happen. It's humiliating.

But the leafs are finally doing well this year... There's no reason to continue to making such pathetic arguments.
Leaf fans... there are now REAL positives to look at this year, so there's no need to continue clinging to these imaginary positives.

Disgruntled Observer*

Nothing can be more imaginary than you adding two players point totals together as an argument.

They're the two players that we traded to Boston to acquire Kessel.

When assessing the trade, I can only pick ONE player to compare to Kessel?
That's ASININE!!!!!

What the **** are you talking about?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad