The McDonagh trade

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The way I feel right now, I'd trade Subban (and his agent) even up for McDonagh. I perceive Subban as unaffordable.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Losing McDonagh is sad.

but
1- 2010 run would've not been possible.
2- Galchenyuk would've not been drafted by the habs.
3- Subban would've not developed as fast as now. (McDonagh would've taken his spot)

its the past now

How could McDonagh take his spot when they don't even play the same side?

We could've had a top pairing D of McDonagh-Subban..
We'd be missing Galchenyuk, but as someone said, we likely would have ended up with Teravainen. I'd take that deal, TT + McDonagh for Galchenyuk. Most people would. I say this as one of the biggest Galchenyuk fans on the board.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
If you thought nobody thought much of McD you are no doubt misremembering. There was no doubt a number of people trying to play off that the trade was good and McD was a bust because after all, doesn't make sense if he wasn't a bust. But McD was a big reason for people to hate the trade. Higgins being in it for sure didn't matter to many but there was a clear reaction difference when it was announced McD was in the deal.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
You could've gotten your answer if you just checked the many Gomez trade reaction threads instead of making this pointless thread.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
This should be, forever, banned from the board. Not the poster....that statement. It makes NO sense. First....we don't know that. Nobody can say what a McDonagh would be or not be able to do on that Habs team. Nobody knows if he would not have been injured based on how unlucky we were. Nobody knows this. THEN....fine. Let,s say we don't. Still, McDonagh alone, that year, would not have make up a Cup Contender. So let say we draft #8 or something....well we get Trouba. Which at one point, without Galchenyuk, it gives us a new Savard-Lapointe-Robinson trio in Trouba-McDonagh-Subban. No....I can't know for sure that,s who we would have picked. But guess what...you don't know for sure that we would not have had Galchenyuk so....And Timmins loves his americans. But personnally, I would be taking that trio of d-men WAY ahead Galchenyuk and Subban. Tell yourself that questions.....You wouldn't trade Galchenyuk for Trouba AND McDonagh?

he's not wrong. having mcdo on the roster wins us just one game, gally is gone, ergo we couldn't have drafted him. it's also true we could have probably taken terravainen, or reilly, lindholm or trouba who may turn out just as good or better, but probably won't.

i don't think it's fair to flip out over him saying something which, while hypothetical, is very much grounded in facts.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
he's not wrong. having mcdo on the roster wins us just one game, gally is gone, ergo we couldn't have drafted him. it's also true we could have probably taken terravainen, or reilly, lindholm or trouba who may turn out just as good or better, but probably won't.

i don't think it's fair to flip out over him saying something which, while hypothetical, is very much grounded in facts.

No it's not. Does Galchenyuk surely goes #3 by the team that picks there instead of us? Everybody says that without the injury he's #1, his injury scared some teams...why couldn't it scare more teams than the first 2? And having McDo with the rest of the team we have do not guarantee one more win. Could guarantee closer games. But McDonagh in 2011-2012, while he did have a fine season, is NOT the McDonagh you saw in this year's playoffs.

And again, if you agree with his statement, you agree that there's no problem being stupid and trade Subban and Price for a 4th liner 'cause in the end, we might end up with McDavid.

And again, if keeping McDonagh means not getting Galchenyuk but getting Trouba....tell me this....you would not trade Galchenyuk for McDonagh AND Trouba?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The whole "we wouldn't have gotten Galchenyuk" is a red herring.

The club should've rebuilt. In doing the "let's throw crap at the wall and see what sticks" move we let decent players go for nothing and replaced them with mostly equal but more expensive ones.

So maybe it wouldn't have been Galchenyuk but it would've been some other top prospect along the way. There's just no silver lining here, we got smoked on this trade. Nice to try to rationalize it and all but there's no coming back from that.

McD and Subban would've been absolutely amazing in the lineup together. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. We definitely lost here.

Last edited:

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Could we stop with this, please?

McD is probably my favourite D in the NHL, but...he's gone. It's awful. But it is what it is now. No sense in continually crying over spilled milk with the media there to remind us of Bob's deed every time we play the Rangers or McD does something good.

Move on already.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Anyone want to discuss the Mahovlich-Larouche trade?

Most under the radar 50 goal season ever.

Soft but could get it done. Badly mismanaged by Bowman.

So: bust according to the HF standards. Bust for Larouche, bust for Bowman, bust for the org. Fire everyone.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Good summary but I believe the rumour was Plekanec, Gorges and Higgins, Price and Subban name were never brought out atleast not publicly like the other 3.

Also not sure about the Gomez being bought out rumour, he wasn't worth his contract but he was THAT for NY, just overpaid, and I believe Elliote Fiedmen wrote in his 30thoughts a few years back is that seather went to Gainey when he lost out on Vinny and offered Gomez, he then asked his Ast GM who he should ask for, and they said Mdc, and Gainey said ok right away.

Not sure about Subban being included, but I have my doubts. OTOH, I have no doubt whatsoever about Price. Gainey believed 1000% in Carey Price from Day One and would never have traded him. Whether TB wanted him or not is another story. Everyone knows how Gainey felt about Price.

Also agree with you that Gomez was not being talked about as a buyout possibility. After all, he scored 60-ish points twice for NY and they made the playoffs both times. Was he overpaid? Yes. As was almost everyone else on July 1 2007.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
This is such an old over-discussed topic.

McDonagh could have easily been David Fischer and who knows how things would've panned out.

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I just wanted to get something off my chest because many Habs fans always talk about the McDonagh-Gomez trade as such highway robbery and that the Rangers robbed us and stuff.

When you look back at things this wasn't a team build from 1st overall picks, this was just a team that had developed some nice young talent and had decided to add some key veterans on top of it and see what sticks.

Now when McD was traded nobody thought much of it. Nobody even cared about Higgins either. Good riddance. Goodbye the old boys club like Koivu, Chipchura, Komisarek. It was just about the Gomez-Gionta reunion, the addition of Cammalleri, the young 2nd line of Plekanec with the Kosts and the addition of Pouliot against Lats.

Nobody cared about McD and even less so when Gorges and Gill were blocking those shots in the playoffs, when Halak was stone-colding Crosby and Ovechkin and when Cammalleri was scoring all those goals against those top teams. Even though we didn't win anything, but we went far, we went further then we had been since 1993, and the memories man, the memories...

McDonagh was never a part of this team. He was never a Montreal Canadien. And a little bit like Vanek this year, guys like Gomez and Gill contributed to something that we will never forget: a deep playoff run that gave us hope. It helped create a winning atmosphere and it gave tons of experience to youngsters like Plekanec, Price and Subban, who are now our leaders.

If you go back in time and always keep your key prospects because they will become #1 Ds, then maybe you never go anywhere. Maybe we're still sobbing in mediocrity. The 2010 were a big turnaround for us. What good is it to accumulate youngsters like McDonagh, Yakupov, Eberle, Hall, etc if you never actually win playoff rounds ? Hockey isn't about the shiny prospects, it's about the shiny cup. And I can tell you one thing. We are much closer to that cup right now, than we would have been without the Gomez trade.

Screw McD.

I will always remember Gomez, Cammalleri, Gill, Pouliot and Halak. Until I fricking die.

McDonagh? He was never a Hab, never will be.

LOL @ the bolded comment above....Maybe Gainey and the Ghost thought nothing of it but fans hated the trade just based on the prospect of McDonagh and the already declining useless Gomez in return. If I can find the article I'll post it as well but Trevor Timmins 100% did not want management to trade McDonagh!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Could we stop with this, please?

McD is probably my favourite D in the NHL, but...he's gone. It's awful. But it is what it is now. No sense in continually crying over spilled milk with the media there to remind us of Bob's deed every time we play the Rangers or McD does something good.

Move on already.

The Mods are having a field day, leaving this thread open and watching fans pick at an open wound.

Is it posting sweepstakes month? :sarcasm:

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
I just wanted to get something off my chest because many Habs fans always talk about the McDonagh-Gomez trade as such highway robbery and that the Rangers robbed us and stuff.

When you look back at things this wasn't a team build from 1st overall picks, this was just a team that had developed some nice young talent and had decided to add some key veterans on top of it and see what sticks.

Now when McD was traded nobody thought much of it. Nobody even cared about Higgins either. Good riddance. Goodbye the old boys club like Koivu, Chipchura, Komisarek. It was just about the Gomez-Gionta reunion, the addition of Cammalleri, the young 2nd line of Plekanec with the Kosts and the addition of Pouliot against Lats.

Nobody cared about McD and even less so when Gorges and Gill were blocking those shots in the playoffs, when Halak was stone-colding Crosby and Ovechkin and when Cammalleri was scoring all those goals against those top teams. Even though we didn't win anything, but we went far, we went further then we had been since 1993, and the memories man, the memories...

McDonagh was never a part of this team. He was never a Montreal Canadien. And a little bit like Vanek this year, guys like Gomez and Gill contributed to something that we will never forget: a deep playoff run that gave us hope. It helped create a winning atmosphere and it gave tons of experience to youngsters like Plekanec, Price and Subban, who are now our leaders.

If you go back in time and always keep your key prospects because they will become #1 Ds, then maybe you never go anywhere. Maybe we're still sobbing in mediocrity. The 2010 were a big turnaround for us. What good is it to accumulate youngsters like McDonagh, Yakupov, Eberle, Hall, etc if you never actually win playoff rounds ? Hockey isn't about the shiny prospects, it's about the shiny cup. And I can tell you one thing. We are much closer to that cup right now, than we would have been without the Gomez trade.

Screw McD.

I will always remember Gomez, Cammalleri, Gill, Pouliot and Halak. Until I fricking die.

McDonagh? He was never a Hab, never will be.

What a bunch of horse manure!!!

1. If you think Gomez, Gill and the other you mentioned helped us get closer to the cup I have no hope for you. Its about winning the up not a playoff run...Price vs. Halak crap is over and we kept the right goalie... period!

2. There was a huge uproar by those of us that follow our prospects about adding McD into that trade, he was one of our top prospects at thst time!

3. "Screw McD"??? He didnt ask to be traded a la Kristo.... WE (Gainey) screwed up plain and simple, McD showed his value in the playoffs and he's going to get BETTER! Many people talk about the Roy trade as horrific and rightly so, but the LeClair, Muller and now McD. Trade are right up there IMO.

4. In the cap era you had better develop your prospects because as you can see on Free Agent day, there are no young rising stars available because team develop and RETAIN them... do you ever think either Gally will ever hit UFA if they continue to develop? Edmonton screwed up by drafting the same type of player over and over again.

5. Nobody cared about Higgins.... What are you talking about? I'd take Higgins RIGHT NOW over Bourque on the 3RD Line LW... kid was a die hard Habs Fan and showed up to play every night unlike #17 now!!

6. Bob Gainey was one of our best captains in the history of this great franchise.... and one of its worst GMs behind only Irvin Grundman and Rejean Houle.

Last edited:

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
McD and Subban would be the best duo in the league for quite some time.

Add Price and that's how you build a winning team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad