Management The Master Plan: Biotech player turned Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk faces off against COVID19

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There is nothing wrong with the arena in Kanata, it could last another decade or two, there is no reason to consider building a new one. And with all the homes being build around it, I imagine it's increased the population by several thousands & a number of those could be new hockey fans living close by.

People in other parts of the city might not like it, but most living in the west end don't mind it at all. It should be very interesting when people are finally allowed to go to games again how the attendance will be for the Sens & if all the owner's nonsense will be forgotten about. It could also take the economics & family budgets a while to recover to be able to afford to go to games again.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
There is nothing wrong with the arena in Kanata, it could last another decade or two, there is no reason to consider building a new one. And with all the homes being build around it, I imagine it's increased the population by several thousands & a number of those could be new hockey fans living close by.

People in other parts of the city might not like it, but most living in the west end don't mind it at all. It should be very interesting when people are finally allowed to go to games again how the attendance will be for the Sens & if all the owner's nonsense will be forgotten about. It could also take the economics & family budgets a while to recover to be able to afford to go to games again.

I live in the east end and i don't mind the commute

What i do mind is the lack of an atmosphere. I've been to several downtown arenas and it's awesome to head for the game at 3 on a saturday, or right after work, hit the game, post game beers at a nearby pub.

Reactions: GCK

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I don t have see past last week but the Sens are partened with a advertising agency , the Zulu Alpha Kilo

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The NHL team hires a new agency to help it build fan excitement as its rebuilding begins to take shape.

The NHL team has picked Zulu Alpha Kilo to be its new ad agency, handling brand strategy, creative, digital development and production.

cool. Their first order of business is make a Habs fan a Sens fan, Melnyck is so desperate for friends Alex Trebek has become a thing to him. Bizarre.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Hah. I know Zulu and people who've worked for them and with them. This is actually a really great step for Melnyk. I'm impressed (if he pays them).

Are we saying these guys are good? haven't had time to see their portfolio.

Do they have local presence in Ottawa or is it all Toronto?

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
The club has spent 10M upgrading it s ventalation system. Melnyk is flush this day

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Are we saying these guys are good? haven't had time to see their portfolio.

Do they have local presence in Ottawa or is it all Toronto?
They've done work for Tim Hortons, CAMH, Uber, Cineplex, Interac, Subaru Canada...they did the Tim Hortons/Crosby/MacKinnon/Kenyan hockey team ad. So maybe they are good? They pop up a lot on best advertising/marketing agency lists.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
just throwing digs around at the local media... :sarcasm:

"Speaking on The Bob McCown Podcast on Sunday with the legendary host and respected broadcaster John Shannon, the Senators’ owner indicated NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly are doing everything in their power to get this season under way."

Melnyk said there were a lot of options discussed amongst the board of governors Thursday. He added the issue for some teams playing out of their home rinks is the high rental costs because they don’t own the rink. Naturally, that’s not a concern for Melnyk, because he owns the Canadian Tire Centre.

“You’ve got 31 different interests. Many are aligned and many aren’t aligned. You throw the government and medicines in on top of that, you almost need an algorithm to figure out what actually will work here,” said Melnyk. “If (some teams) open the door up there’s a big cheque that has to be written to whoever owns the stadium.

“It’s almost to them and others who sit there and say: ‘Hey, I’m better off not playing. I’m better off financially not playing.’ Guys like me, we own the stadium and the team, and we don’t have the obstacles some others do. There’s so many moving parts. It’s very complex … Everybody wants the same thing, everybody wants to play. They wish they could turn the clock back to January and get on with it.”

Lundmark17

Mar 3, 2004
Listened to the podcast and thought he came off pretty well and knowledgeable. No real hot takes which is a nice change.

Reactions: GCK

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It...was...good?

Listened/watched the interview and his throughts on vaccines was quite interesting and the feasibility of NHL hockey and how to implement it.

He is not happy about the All Canadian division only because he thinks it will be really tough on his team with no easy games. Other than that, it was pretty much stay the course and protect the young players with some muscle in the lineup.

Reactions: aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Good podcast.

That's the longest I've ever listened to him speak. Sounded credible on many fronts

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wish they would have asked him about the downtown arena if he dodged a bullet not getting involved in a major financial endeavor with this pandemic around the corner & how that would have hurt him financially given that they might not have fans for a few seasons? The longer this goes on the more money is being lost by these owners especially those that still have to pay for these arenas to maintain them. Not surprised more & more teams are laying people off.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I wish they would have asked him about the downtown arena if he dodged a bullet not getting involved in a major financial endeavor with this pandemic around the corner & how that would have hurt him financially given that they might not have fans for a few seasons? The longer this goes on the more money is being lost by these owners especially those that still have to pay for these arenas to maintain them. Not surprised more & more teams are laying people off.

I find the city's approach to Lansdowne versus LeBreton is interesting

I'd say he sidestepped a nightmare with the downtown arena. I do hope one gets built within 10 years that's downtown somewhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad