The Mark Fraser Trade..

Calacatz

Jacked!
Aug 10, 2005
One of the most underrated trades that noone really mentions is the move the leafs made to acquire Mark Fraser from the ducks..

The Leafs traded Dale Mitchell straight up who now plays in Austria & Mark leads the league in +/- and has been a real good story for us this year.. (+11 on the road too)

The question I have is does anyone know if this was a Burke initiated move or was Nonis or someone else in the brass responsible for plucking this one as at the time it just seemed like a minor league move..

Overall what an impressive pick up and I am just loving that 3rd pairing these days... Seems like Fraser has made Franson's game better too

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
I thought that Fraser was brough in to replace Aulie on the Marlies blueline after the Ashton deal?

david999

Jan 21, 2011
Had to be with Carlyle's input. He has had confidence in him from the start of the season. Great pick up!

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
One of the most underrated trades that noone really mentions is the move the leafs made to acquire Mark Fraser from the ducks..

The Leafs traded Dale Mitchell straight up who now plays in Austria & Mark leads the league in +/- and has been a real good story for us this year.. (+11 on the road too)

The question I have is does anyone know if this was a Burke initiated move or was Nonis or someone else in the brass responsible for plucking this one as at the time it just seemed like a minor league move..

Overall what an impressive pick up and I am just loving that 3rd pairing these days... Seems like Fraser has made Franson's game better too

Considering Burkes dealings with the Ducks in the past and that he was the GM at the time. It was Burke. I am sure Randy had something to do with it too.

Probably Nonis. He was Marlies GM.

Nonis didn't have free range to acquire players without Burkes stamp of approval.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Considering Burkes dealings with the Ducks in the past and that he was the GM at the time. It was Burke. I am sure Randy had something to do with it too.

Nonis didn't have free range to acquire players without Burkes stamp of approval.

You sound quite confident about that. Especially since Burke said Nonis did most of the work on the Phaneuf trade, and I believe he said the same about the Beauchemin (Gardiner/Lupul) trade.

We dont know for sure who was responsible for the Fraser deal. But given that Nonis was the GM of the Marlies and that he'd been the primary worker on a few major Leafs deals, there's no reason to believe that it definitely was Burke. Seems like a pretty outlandish assumption.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Funny how fans only look at +/- as a useful stat when one of their players is a plus.

Don't get me wrong, Fraser has been really steady, but he plays sheltered minutes against 3rd and 4th lines. At least he's a major upgrade over Komisarek, who hasn't even been able play sheltered minutes effectively since his signing.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
You sound quite confident about that. Especially since Burke said Nonis did most of the work on the Phaneuf trade, and I believe he said the same about the Beauchemin (Gardiner/Lupul) trade.

We dont know for sure who was responsible for the Fraser deal. But given that Nonis was the GM of the Marlies and that he'd been the primary worker on a few major Leafs deals, there's no reason to believe that it definitely was Burke. Seems like a pretty outlandish assumption.

How is an outlandish assumption? It is well known how tight Burke is/was with the Ducks!

FFS he is a scout for them now too :facepalm:

Leafski

Jun 29, 2011
Funny how fans only look at +/- as a useful stat when one of their players is a plus.

Don't get me wrong, Fraser has been really steady, but he plays sheltered minutes against 3rd and 4th lines. At least he's a major upgrade over Komisarek, who hasn't even been able play sheltered minutes effectively since his signing.

You're right, things would be so much better if we had a terrible d-man like lebda on the bottom pairing so that those 3rd and 4th lines can score on us... :help:

Give credit where credit is due, he has been an excellent bottom pairing d-man.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nonis obviously.

Good moves = Nonis
Bad moves = Burke

number72

Oct 9, 2011
This was Burke's move just like Lebda and Komisarek. Even a squirrel can find a nut sometimes.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
You're right, things would be so much better if we had a terrible d-man like lebda on the bottom pairing so that those 3rd and 4th lines can score on us... :help:

Give credit where credit is due, he has been an excellent bottom pairing d-man.

Re-read my post.

G51 K81*

Same with Kadri? What a bust!

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Fraser has been extremely impressive. He's the reason why Komi is history. Frazer is that reliable bottom pairing guy who makes safe plays and plays and aggressive style whom can drop the gloves.

All the things Komi was supposed to be...

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Fraser has been extremely impressive. He's the reason why Komi is history. Frazer is that reliable bottom pairing guy who makes safe plays and plays and aggressive style whom can drop the gloves.

At around 1/8th of the cap hit.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

Whats exciting is, with the new cap going down, the Leafs are very well positioned with regular NHLers, contributing at that level, and having quite low cap hits;

Holzer
Fraser
Kostka
Franson
Gardiner

there are forwards that fall into this category, and help on the way in the coming years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad