The Mark Fraser Trade..

hockeyfanz*

I always get a kick out of this statement when people throw it around. They are pros guys, even fourth line players can get the puck in the back of the net. Fraser has been good and to say he has been sheltered is an injustice to him.

Even better are the excuses made for guys like Phaneuf...Oh but he plays against the top lines....of course he does....thats why he gets paid 6.5M bucks. Its not an excuse to suck.

Also all the top point getters in the league..the elite players like Crosby/Giroux/Tavares/Stamkos etc....are facing the opposing teams top defense pair and checking lines usually but that doesn't stop them from winning scoring titles and Hart Trophies. Its because they are the best.

goleafsgo281

Jun 19, 2010
Your right so far Fraser has played real well and more importantly smart. The only thing I say is don't look too much into the pus/minus stat because I think we can all agree that our best d man phaneuf is a minus 7 which I don't think is an accurate representation of his play

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
He has been a surprise. It's time to waive Koska for Gardiner some team will be happy to pick him up but we need someone on D who can generate offense. Gardiner can control a game with his skating which causes people to get out of position and opens room for other players. We are missing this badly on defence

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
I read somewhere recently Fraser saying that the majority of the fights and skirmishes can be traced back to Leo K. He hasn't been overtly annoying.. I guess Leo K really is a pest. I like him more and more.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
We need guys like him, a cheap reliable 3rd pairing dman who makes the smart, simple play.

Our defense has alot of resignings this summer, hopefully we can keep everyone lowish, so we can spend more on Free agents and/or a #1 C.

leafspring*

Gardiner needs to learn to play better positionally without the puck. Thats why he is with the Marlies so long. He is learning his craft there,and thats cool with me. No rush to have him up.

We are all better for it when he is more complete defensively. Carlyle insists on it is most likely why he stays there,and learns.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I thought that Fraser was brough in to replace Aulie on the Marlies blueline after the Ashton deal?

Yep more or less. Moved an asset with no value to help anaheim's salary situation. Probably a burke move given connection with Anaheim...and a good one.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
I always get a kick out of this statement when people throw it around. They are pros guys, even fourth line players can get the puck in the back of the net. Fraser has been good and to say he has been sheltered is an injustice to him.
give me a break. obviously they are good enough to get the league, which makes them better than you or I, but you make it sound like it would make no difference if he was playing 28 minutes a game against the top line.

of course they are sheltered minutes.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
give me a break. obviously they are good enough to get the league, which makes them better than you or I, but you make it sound like it would make no difference if he was playing 28 minutes a game against the top line.

of course they are sheltered minutes.
Yeah, but someones gotta play those minutes as well and he's doing a lot better job at it then the previous guys we have had playing those minutes.

Calacatz

Jacked!
Aug 10, 2005
Yeah, but someones gotta play those minutes as well and he's doing a lot better job at it then the previous guys we have had playing those minutes.

all the Phaneuf protectors come in here to argue the sheltered minutes BS to put a negative spin on his +/-... Its funny how every team in the league has a 3rd pair of defensemen yet his +/- is above them all... Give the guy some credit he has done a hell of a job for us... Besides Dion is a LOAF!! Sorry not jumping on any bandwagon cause of an OT goal Nabokov shouldv'e had... Dion is a sled out there & is not worth the money he makes... Wanna see a real captain? look at what Chara did after Seguin got hacked

SexyJoffreyLupul

Mar 18, 2012
all the Phaneuf protectors come in here to argue the sheltered minutes BS to put a negative spin on his +/-... Its funny how every team in the league has a 3rd pair of defensemen yet his +/- is above them all... Give the guy some credit he has done a hell of a job for us... Besides Dion is a LOAF!! Sorry not jumping on any bandwagon cause of an OT goal Nabokov shouldv'e had... Dion is a sled out there & is not worth the money he makes... Wanna see a real captain? look at what Chara did after Seguin got hacked

Dude he was a +2 against the islanders, that means he shut down tavares while also managing to score the gwg in overtime.

SexyJoffreyLupul

Mar 18, 2012
Tell me all about his performance against the Canadiens the game prior?

then what about the three games prior to that where he was even in plus minus? he played decently considering our entire team was flat and hemmed in our zone the majority of the time.

Alain Racette

Jun 18, 2005
Whats exciting is, with the new cap going down, the Leafs are very well positioned with regular NHLers, contributing at that level, and having quite low cap hits;

Holzer
Fraser
Kostka
Franson
Gardiner

there are forwards that fall into this category, and help on the way in the coming years.

He's boring as watching paint dry in his press conferences, but man I love Nonis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad