Movies: The Many Saints Of Newark (Sopranos Movie)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm about halfway through... And wow this movie is just bad. A waste of these characters and intellectual property. The Sopranos is supposed to challenge its audience, not just give them fanservice up the "ase." It was hard not to turn off the movie when Junior said the asinine "varsity athlete" line - this show is supposed to be way better than "Hey he said the thing!"
Oh god I cracked that joke on the second page... they actually put that in the f***ing movie?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I have re-watched the movie for a 3rd time and I have figures out the problems in my opinion

1) Casting--they hit some home runs but but in secondary casting that they wanted to link to the mothership--they failed. Gamdolfini's son did a good job and as he gets more experience, I think he could have a good career--but he needs to make it his own
2) Writing--they could have had a good stand alone movie if they did not try to pull too much from the mothership and kept with character development. They tried to do too much in too little time--maybe a 2 part 4 hour mini series where they spent a little more time at looking at the characters. We have seen a lot of mob movies based upon this era and they had a lot to work with--but they jammed in too much. At the end, the characters from Tony's crew were more distractions and were caricatures of who they became

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
1) Casting--they hit some home runs but but in secondary casting that they wanted to link to the mothership--they failed. Gamdolfini's son did a good job and as he gets more experience, I think he could have a good career--but he needs to make it his own

After watching it again it I agree with this point, I thought Michael Gandolfini, Alessandro Nivola, and Vera Farmiga were absolute home runs and fit the movie perfectly. The secondary cast however were poor, and especially the younger Sil, Puss, and Paulie, as someone said, they looked like SNL actors.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
After watching it again it I agree with this point, I thought Michael Gandolfini, Alessandro Nivola, and Vera Farmiga were absolute home runs and fit the movie perfectly. The secondary cast however were poor, and especially the younger Sil, Puss, and Paulie, as someone said, they looked like SNL actors.

Sil looking like a middle aged man in the 1960s, really bothered me.

Reshooting the carnival scene made no sense.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad