Movies: The Many Saints Of Newark (Sopranos Movie)

Sep 19, 2008
I liked it a lot more than most people did apparently, too many people were expecting it to be as good as the TV show and that’s foolish to me
A lot of people are disappointed. Not sure what the issue is.

Maybe when more people watch the movie they can weigh in. I didn't have much bad to say about it.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
A lot of people are disappointed. Not sure what the issue is.

Maybe when more people watch the movie they can weigh in. I didn't have much bad to say about it.

I haven't watched it yet, but I wonder if the people who were disappointed are also the same people who were upset that Tony didn't die a violent death in the Sopranos finale and complained when they didn't get what they wanted.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
It doesn't live up to the "hype" that surrounds the series, but for what it is though it was damn good.

They honestly could turn this time period in to a series but I doubt that happens, as much as I'd like it to.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I didn't think the movie was too bad and I enjoyed it since I love the Sopranos lore, but it also left me wanting more and I had more questions. Then again there's a lot of room for another movie or even a series given that we have not seen how Tony enters the mafia.

I think as long as you don't compare it to the series, it should be enjoyable.

Reactions: John Price

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
I actually quite enjoyed it. Juniors mannerisms made me chuckle a few times. Being a big Sopranos fan it was cool to see Big Puss father, Dickie’s father, even briefly the boss Eckley. Silvio and his hair issues :)

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Ray Liotta playing 2 characters was such a weird move, people in the theater were so confused it was funny

Also David Chase just signed a huge deal with HBO/Max so there’s that

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
I thought it was terrible. It couldn’t decide if it wanted to be a series or a movie, took over halfway through for even a mediocre plot/conflict to emerge. I went in making sure I didn’t compare it to the series and still thought it was awful.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
This is a must-watch for any big Sopranos fan. The Easter eggs were fantastic, most of the acting performances were on point, and the underrated Sopranos humour was there.

If you're not a Sopranos fan though...I don't know. It probably doesn't stand on it's own.

As a big Sopranos fan, I loved it, however...I was expecting this to be a Sopranos prequel, and this was not it. This felt more like the first movie of a trilogy, or a prologue to a new series. In either case, I'm down.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
This is a must-watch for any big Sopranos fan. The Easter eggs were fantastic, most of the acting performances were on point, and the underrated Sopranos humour was there.

If you're not a Sopranos fan though...I don't know.

As a big Sopranos fan, I loved it, however...I was expecting this to be a Sopranos prequel, and this was not it. This felt more like the first movie of a trilogy, or a prologue to a new series. In either case, I'm down.
A few of my favs

- Junior referencing Tony not being a varsity athlete

- the use of Van Morrison

Probably others I missed

Biggest complaint I saw online was that Sil's actor sucked, or that Junior was just a caricature. I don't agree. Junior was absolutely hilarious and acted pretty much how the old Junior did in the Sopranos. "f***IN' DICKIE MOLTISANTI!"

"From now on, while Johnny's in jail, everything passes through me." "Oh, you got diarreaha?"

Sep 19, 2008
I thought it was terrible. It couldn’t decide if it wanted to be a series or a movie, took over halfway through for even a mediocre plot/conflict to emerge. I went in making sure I didn’t compare it to the series and still thought it was awful.
The biggest problem with the movie is that it only deals with a part of time and leaves questions. Maybe that is why Chase signed on to do more content.

But yes, it only covers two specific periods of time, and after that there are many questions left unanswered.

If you're bothered by that, fine, but personally I thought it addressed the story well.
It was never meant to be a Tony Soprano movie. He is a supporting character. It was about dickie. So it's no surprise we don't see how Tony becomes mafia (remember, at the end of the movie, he says he doesn't want to be a part of the mafia after Dickie ghosts him at the warehouse.)

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
A few of my favs

- Junior referencing Tony not being a varsity athlete

- the use of Van Morrison

Probably others I missed

Biggest complaint I saw online was that Sil's actor sucked, or that Junior was just a caricature. I don't agree. Junior was absolutely hilarious and acted pretty much how the old Junior did in the Sopranos. "f***IN' DICKIE MOLTISANTI!"

Yeah, I was laughing my ass off about that first one. Also Lydia Soprano was perfect. I thought Silvio's actor absolutely nailed it too - mannerisms at all. And his hairstyle...hilarious. Paulie on the other hand, not so much. I agree with you on Junior.

Sep 19, 2008
Yeah, I was laughing my ass off about that first one. Also Lydia Soprano was perfect. I thought Silvio's actor absolutely nailed it too - mannerisms at all. And his hairstyle...hilarious. Paulie on the other hand, not so much. I agree with you on Junior.
Not sure if you watched on HBO Max but there's a feature comparing the actors with the TV actors and the work they put in. Vera did a lot of research to emulate Nancy Marchand's style of Lidia Soprano. Vera and Corey Stoll (Junior) did a great job.

Reactions: Kurtz

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Not sure if you watched on HBO Max but there's a feature comparing the actors with the TV actors and the work they put in. Vera did a lot of research to emulate Nancy Marchand's style of Lidia Soprano. Vera and Corey Stoll (Junior) did a great job.

I did not - I saw the movie in a theatre. But I'll re-watch on HBO and will give that a look - thanks for the heads up!

Sep 19, 2008
I did not - I saw the movie in a theatre. But I'll re-watch on HBO and will give that a look - thanks for the heads up!
it's about 3 or 4 minutes so it shouldn't take much of your time, but i would recommend this for anyone that has hbo max and likes the sopranos. The actors talk about how they studied for their roles and they have a lot of comparisons.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Outside of the Easter Eggs, it was a pretty boring film.

Some nice character work, but no plot at all.

The Tony/Dickie relationship was well done. Tony, Livia and Junior were all true to character.
Nothing about that movie was well done. From top to bottom the movie is a parody of itself. How is slivio a grown ass man and Tony is a child. Yet they're the same age? I thought it was supposed to be his dad in the beginning I was that confused. Im fairly certain Tony's dad got out of the carnival heist the same night in the show. Here we are believed that he spend 4 years. There's little connection to the sopranos. Junior seemed like a walking joke which he was never. Tony's dad has zero personality and is just kind of there. The worst part was that having Tony serve absolutely no purpose. I get that the movie isn't about him. I knew a few weeks back he wasn't the star. However, he was just irrelevant to everything. His scenes made zero sense. Trouble maker kid grows a little seemed like a decent teenager ok but why? HOW? WHO?

Im actually so annoyed.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I don't understand what the point of this movie was supposed to be. Just a bunch disjointed Easter egg scenes thrown together and called a movie.

The whole Harold storyline was nonsense. Like, wtf was the point of the Christmas tree scene? Or the post-credit scene? Hell, what are his motivations in general?

Wasn't Dickie supposed to be a junkie? We barely see any bonding scenes with Tony and Dickie, but Tony apparently worshipped him.

Don't forget the rioting thrown in for good measure.

I'm actually impressed that you could take so many fascinating characters with millions of possibilities and produce that.

I did enjoy Johnny shooting Livia's hair though lol, never scene anything quite like that before.

Reactions: Primary Assist

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
The main issue I had was the age of some of the guys on there, I expected Paulie to be in his early to mid 20s, but did not expect Sil or Puss. Especially Sil, I expected him to be the same age group as Tony, but he seemed more like Paulie's age group in the movie, which begs the question, can you have such aggressive hair loss in your early 20s? I'm also assuming that at the time none of them was made, they were just associates (Kind of like Benny Fazio). So Johnny Soprano was the capo, Junior, Dickie, Puss's dad, among some of the other unknowns were probably the only made guys on there.

Anyways, based on this movie, I'm assuming the ages of some of the characters at season 1 is the following give or take:

- Tony: 40
- Sil: Late 40s
- Puss: Late 40s
- Paulie: 50
- Jacki Aprile: early 40s
- Richie Aprile: 50
- Junior: 70
- Chrissy: 25

Tony's father was younger than Junior so if he was alive I think he would be mid-late 60s, and Dickie would have probably been in his mid-late 50s.

I don't understand what the point of this movie was supposed to be. Just a bunch disjointed Easter egg scenes thrown together and called a movie.

The whole Harold storyline was nonsense. Like, wtf was the point of the Christmas tree scene? Or the post-credit scene? Hell, what are his motivations in general?

Wasn't Dickie supposed to be a junkie? We barely see any bonding scenes with Tony and Dickie, but Tony apparently worshipped him.

Don't forget the rioting thrown in for good measure.

I'm actually impressed that you could take so many fascinating characters with millions of possibilities and produce that.

I did enjoy Johnny shooting Livia's hair though lol, never scene anything quite like that before.

I think the biggest problem with the movie was that it was a movie to begin with. I'm sure if it was a series we wouldn't have a lot of the issues that we saw with it. Overall I think this was just a movie to add to the Sopranos lore, it simply answered the question on who killed Dickie. Now I hope they follow this up with a series that would show the rise or Tony in the mafia, so I'm curious to how that happens. Also in relation to Dickie's death, does Tony ever find out about it? That one scene when he told Chrissy about the cop that killed his father was fishy, so it's very possible that Tony later finds out about Junior killing Dickie and just decided to keep it hidden for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad