The Management Thread | We live Page to Page here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This is a team that has one everyday NHL defenseman under the age of 28. But tell me again how they have enough young impact players on the roster.
Quinn Hughes is one..Jack Rathbone will be an NHL D-man...Olli Juolevi we hope can be a 3rd pairing D man...If you are deficient in an area , you have to trade for one..How many everyday D-men did cup finalists Montreal and TB have on their rosters, that they drafted?

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
Grade: B-. One thing you can say about Benning: The man knows how to erase his own mistakes.
He flipped Schmidt to the Jets (after that signing didn't work) for a 2022 third-round pick, which is what he sent to Vegas to get him last offseason. He bought out the last year of Holtby's deal after the Kraken passed on him. He traded free-agent mistakes Roussel, Eriksson and Beagle to the Coyotes for Ekman-Larsson and his massive contract -- which itself was a mistake, although one that Benning might not be around to witness at its worst. He also acquired Garland in that trade, shipping out the ninth overall pick in the process.
Halak and Dickinson are solid additions. Poolman is the defensive version of the deals he handed out to Roussel and Beagle at forward. But beyond all of this was the fact that the Canucks scared up enough cap space for Pettersson and Hughes. Another thing you can say about Benning: His offseasons are never boring.

Free-agency grades for all 32 NHL teams
The absolute comedy of using this pretty scathing review of the offseason as a backup for Benning's competence aside, the cognitive dissonance of the writeup vs the grade given is bizarre. "Jim met few of the requirements, had to clean up his own messes, took major risks, learned nothing from his past mistakes. B-"

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This is a team that has one everyday NHL defenseman under the age of 28. But tell me again how they have enough young impact players on the roster.

The Canucks really need to spend some high picks on Dmen. They have only drafted 3 Dmen with a top 60 pick in the past 10 years. Even Hutton is 28 now and Stecher is 27.

Reactions: MarkMM and rypper

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The absolute comedy of using this pretty scathing review of the offseason as a backup for Benning's competence aside, the cognitive dissonance of the writeup vs the grade given is bizarre. "Jim met few of the requirements, had to clean up his own messes, took major risks, learned nothing from his past mistakes. B-"
If it was scathing , to would have received a lot worse than a B-.....He erased multiple mistakes in a single swoop, and got a young top 6 player in the process., and cleared space for the Hughes and Pettersson deals (imperative)...but took on a whopper in OEL's contract, and taking on a player who has a lot of question marks.....There's risk there.

You never did answer the question of whether you would have postponed going all in this year..?..You would have kept the #9 OA I'm assuming?

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
From the perspective of where the team was when he made the trade yes but he still carries blame because he's the one who put the team there in the first place. He wouldn't have needed to give up a first and take on OEL's contract if a year ago he prioritized Toffoli and Tanev over Virtanen, Holtby, and chasing OEL before settling on Schmidt. And of course he wouldn't have needed to dump these bad contracts if he just didn't sign them in the first place which was an obvious error the moment they were signed.

In the end it's like 5 steps backwards 1 step forward.

Never said he doesn't carry blame all those contracts he moved to Zona were his blunders.

I make the point that I understand why Benning is making these moves to save his job and it feels like you respond to me as if I'm a Benning apologist saying 'he righted the ship'. I'm not..the guy has put the team back again - this time it's at the expense of playoffs and an early round exit.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Grade: B-. One thing you can say about Benning: The man knows how to erase his own mistakes.
He flipped Schmidt to the Jets (after that signing didn't work) for a 2022 third-round pick, which is what he sent to Vegas to get him last offseason. He bought out the last year of Holtby's deal after the Kraken passed on him. He traded free-agent mistakes Roussel, Eriksson and Beagle to the Coyotes for Ekman-Larsson and his massive contract -- which itself was a mistake, although one that Benning might not be around to witness at its worst. He also acquired Garland in that trade, shipping out the ninth overall pick in the process.
Halak and Dickinson are solid additions. Poolman is the defensive version of the deals he handed out to Roussel and Beagle at forward. But beyond all of this was the fact that the Canucks scared up enough cap space for Pettersson and Hughes. Another thing you can say about Benning: His offseasons are never boring.

Free-agency grades for all 32 NHL teams
Wouldn’t it be a better formula to not make these huge mistakes in the first place, keep our draft picks, and have a pipeline of talent coming up through our AHL prospect pool?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Wouldn’t it be a better formula to not make these huge mistakes in the first place, keep our draft picks, and have a pipeline of talent coming up through our AHL prospect pool?
Lets go pluck a GM off of the 'GM's who dont make mistakes' tree...

I believe the Canucks have more than enough young impact players on the team..Whats needed now are complimentary pieces...If worst comes to worst, they'll have to trade for a D man.

Reactions: Zippgunn

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

upload_2021-8-20_14-51-5.jpeg

:D

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
One of those was on Joulevi too.

Yep and Juolevi not developing to his potential has really hurt. It's not even a Tkachuk vs Juolevi argument as the other top rated Dmen drafted after him (apart from Jake Bean) developed into the top 4 Dmen they were projected to be.

I still believe that Juolevi can develop into an NHL Dman though.

Reactions: racerjoe

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Yep and Juolevi not developing to his potential has really hurt. It's not even a Tkachuk vs Juolevi argument as the other top rated Dmen drafted after him (apart from Jake Bean) developed into the top 4 Dmen they were projected to be.

I still believe that Juolevi can develop into an NHL Dman though.

I am less confident in Joulevi. I just don’t see the progress being made.

I did have him as my top dman from that draft class so I will wear that. However I also had him at 10.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I am less confident in Joulevi. I just don’t see the progress being made.

I did have him as my top dman from that draft class so I will wear that. However I also had him at 10.

It was a tough choice between Juolevi, Chychrun, and Sergachev for me. It was one of those situations where you had to rely on your team's scouting.

I'm guessing you had Logan Brown in your top 9?

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

love it or hate it, this off-season has reenergized the players. It's a huge signal to the team that the time to win is now.

Pretty sure they said that about the Miller trade

And I’m not sure if 8 games played has the pulse of the team but what do I know

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
A lot of the Canucks young guys are still prospect age. Hoglander came from the same draft as Turcotte. Kupari came from the same draft as Hughes, and Clague is a 2016 pick. A lot of teams have "top prospects" that are just old as Pettersson, so a better comparison would be to go by age group.

Canucks have a great group that is still prospect age. Pettersson, Hughes, Rathbone, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Klimovich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad