The Management Thread | We live Page to Page here

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'm going to defend Benning. I think he misspoke because he is bad at speaking (among other things.)

I think what he was trying to say is that when they pick a player, they believe that player can be an NHL player. They have to believe that about every pick, that's why they are making the pick. If you don't think the player you are selecting can be an NHL player, then why select him? There's a subtle but important difference between saying "I believe that every player I select can be an NHL player" and "I believe that all the players I select can be NHL players."

Benning is a moron but there's no way he actually thought he was going to get an NHL player with every pick. He's had enough years in the league to know that's impossible.

Yeah, it's just an innocuous comment. It's not something to really read into.

What's he supposed to say? "Yeah it's pretty likely most of these guys are just gonna bust out, basically no chance. Alright, thanks for tuning into the draft!"

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I'm going to defend Benning. I think he misspoke because he is bad at speaking (among other things.)

I think what he was trying to say is that when they pick a player, they believe that player can be an NHL player. They have to believe that about every pick, that's why they are making the pick. If you don't think the player you are selecting can be an NHL player, then why select him? There's a subtle but important difference between saying "I believe that every player I select can be an NHL player" and "I believe that all the players I select can be NHL players."

Benning is a moron but there's no way he actually thought he was going to get an NHL player with every pick. He's had enough years in the league to know that's impossible.

Your interpretation is clearly the correct one. Thinking it meant anything more than that is just silly.

Reactions: Grub and m9

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

That part I agree with completely. What does puzzle me, however, is how his PR team would allow him to talk like that. Better yet, does the Canucks organization have a PR team who's suppose to be in charge of this stuff to begin with.

If there is a PR team, how can they allow this man to talk so many times with his foot in his mouth?

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
That part I agree with completely. What does puzzle me, however, is how his PR team would allow him to talk like that. Better yet, does the Canucks organization have a PR team who's suppose to be in charge of this stuff to begin with.

If there is a PR team, how can they allow this man to talk so many times with his foot in his mouth?

You can coach a dude, give him pointers, sign him up for public speaking, but a polished turd is still a turd, which is a crude way of saying that there's only so much you can do and he is one of the public 'faces' of the company, so he sort of has to meet media obligations.

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
What's he supposed to say? "Yeah it's pretty likely most of these guys are just gonna bust out, basically no chance. Alright, thanks for tuning into the draft!"

He could say "we really like our picks and believe some of them will be good players for us one day". Like the other 31 gms do. But no, the man has the eloquence of a moose.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Have you heard Drance talk about his job with the Panthers? Most of the time it's closer to handing out flyers to media members than advising management on anything. It's a pretty low level job on an NHL team. Quite frankly, does anyone really care? How many Rangers fans wanted Torts fired because he dissed Brooksie? Green reportedly refuses to talk to JPat, do you care enough to want him fired because of that? Brian Burke has certainly had some some run-ins with the media.

Reactions: m9 and Grub

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Have you heard Drance talk about his job with the Panthers? Most of the time it's closer to handing out flyers to media members than advising management on anything. It's a pretty low level job on an NHL team. Quite frankly, does anyone really care? How many Rangers fans wanted Torts fired because he dissed Brooksie? Green reportedly refuses to talk to JPat, do you care enough to want him fired because of that? Brian Burke has certainly had some some run-ins with the media.

For sure. GM's aren't really taking advice from PR teams or that kind of thing unless they are tasked with it from someone above them. In this case, it's only really Aquilini who is above Benning and it doesn't seem like Aquilini cares.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

A sports PR team cares more about him saying something socially offensive or disparaging against the league/other organizations, than they care about him mispeaking about his high hopes for draft picks. No late-20s/30-something PR underling is going to be sitting down the senior leader of a sports organization and telling him how to talk about the drafting process. Only a very, very small percentage of people in this market care enough to call it out and an infinitesimally smaller percentage are still picking apart the comment half a decade later. In reality, it's barely a blip to them.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
For sure. GM's aren't really taking advice from PR teams or that kind of thing unless they are tasked with it from someone above them. In this case, it's only really Aquilini who is above Benning and it doesn't seem like Aquilini cares.

A sports PR team cares more about him saying something socially offensive or disparaging against the league/other organizations, than they care about him mispeaking about his high hopes for draft picks. No late-20s/30-something PR underling is going to be sitting down the senior leader of a sports organization and telling him how to talk about the drafting process. Only a very, very small percentage of people in this market care enough to call it out and an infinitesimally smaller percentage are still picking apart the comment half a decade later. In reality, it's barely a blip to them.

Even then, nowehereman, PR team can "care" but it's like the cleaners caring about whether the people at the office keep the office clean.

They're there more or less to help with the marketing. Organizing events including media scrums etc.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

what does it matter when 80% of the media and, by extension, 80% of the fans gobble up whatever he says anyway, no matter how stupid it is?

Jim Benning could be like “I invented the moon” and r/Canucks would twist themselves into knots to explain how that is literally true.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

This is defending Benning without trying to defend his words. That he mispoke is a lot different than someone trying to explain how the silly thing he said makes sense. I can accept as an explanation that he mispoke... He has a history of not being careful with his words. Also, at different times, he has said that he thinks he can get 2 NHL players in the 1st 2 rounds, and then maybe another 1 or 2 from rounds 3-7... and he's also said that after the first 5 picks at the top of the draft, it's basically a crap shoot. Personally, I have no idea what he actually thinks about his ability to draft NHL players in a draft. I'm not sure that even he does.

Last edited:
Reactions: vanuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

On one hand I understand that Benning probably understands he isn't going to take an NHL player with every pick.

On the other hand, we have a mountain of evidence that Benning cannot process logic and change, and gets attached to chasing unlikely outcomes he hopes will happen over going for best-probability logical decision making.

Even if you don't take the quote absolutely literally, it does speak to a man willing to bleed draft picks because he's irrationally convinced himself he's capable of out-drafting that bleed.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
what does it matter when 80% of the media and, by extension, 80% of the fans gobble up whatever he says anyway, no matter how stupid it is?

Jim Benning could be like “I invented the moon” and r/Canucks would twist themselves into knots to explain how that is literally true.
+1 to the PR department Melvin :wg:
And I'm pretty sure you know this.

Aqua has been spinning & spinning for almost a decade now....nobody should be surprised how this will end.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
On one hand I understand that Benning probably understands he isn't going to take an NHL player with every pick.

On the other hand, we have a mountain of evidence that Benning cannot process logic and change, and gets attached to chasing unlikely outcomes he hopes will happen over going for best-probability logical decision making.

Even if you don't take the quote absolutely literally, it does speak to a man willing to bleed draft picks because he's irrationally convinced himself he's capable of out-drafting that bleed.
Your description makes Benning out to be either arrogant or a moron. Maybe he’s an arrogant moron? No wonder this is the worst era in our history.

Reactions: vanuck

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Your description makes Benning out to be either arrogant or a moron. Maybe he’s an arrogant moron? No wonder this is the worst era in our history.

This is a very arrogant regime. The organizational culture is greasy blinding arrogance. This culture has consumed Jimmy. It's clear not only from his actions and words, but also his appearance. That blackness you see spilling from his hair follicles is overfilling from his head marinating his brain.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express

How about we get real with every other fan of the NHL who doesn’t give a s*ht f*ck about what Benning *thinks* and we judge him on results.

Not good.

Looking at this offseason...Pettersson & Hughes who need new contracts...
How's that going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad