The Management Thread | Part Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I'm going to get ahead of this because I know my comments are going to get taken out of context:
I completely agree with the decision to let Tanev and Markstrom go. By and large, the big picture decisions they made this offseason in terms of letting them go have been prudent. I've said as much and credited Benning for having that discipline. Don't believe me? I had a tweet commending their patience yesterday that got over 1000 likes.
My question, however, is that if they were willing to take a step back and wait on their window then it contradicts and muddies the bigger picture strategy they've otherwise shown. Signing Tyler Myers to a 5 year deal, signing Micheal Ferland to a four year deal, trading premium assets for a rental -- those were win-now moves that contenders make. So if you wanted to be patient (which again, I think is the right direction), then why were those more aggressive decisions made?
I just think you need a crystal clear idea of when you envision the team being a Cup contender, pick that window and plan accordingly. I know this clip in a vacuum is very fiery, let me make it clear -- I'm not a Benning hater. They've done an excellent job on the draft floor and have improved their trade record over time. On the whole, this team obviously has a bright future and the bottom-six contracts are all off the books in two years. The sky is NOT falling down.
I just think now is the time to create a crystal clear blueprint of your window. Pick a year (say 2022 when the bottom-six contracts are off the books) to begin your Cup window and make every move with that vision in mind. With efficiency, clever undervalued signings/trades and a plan they can absolutely get there.
Harman Dayal summing it up well.

I'll add to this - what GM gets to wait until their 9th season (2022-2023) to have a consistent playoff team and nearly 10 years to build a true contender?

Reactions: JayBeautiful

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
lol...Every year at the amateur draft, names (especially European ones) are constantly fouled up.....Believing that there's some link of connection to lack of intelligence to mispronouncing foreign names in public (which is uncomfortable for many in itself), is utterly absurd.

"What matters is not getting everyone’s names right first time. It’s making the effort not to do the same thing again and again."

Guillaume Brisbois is not a foreign name.?.If you don't speak French, it most definitely is foreign...Not everybody in the country has travelled to 50 countries , and lived in 8...Do yourself a favour, write down that name on a piece of paper and hand it out to to people ,.. and ask them to pronounce it..I think you'll be in for a surprise.

It's not even remotely pronounced the way it looks.

Sorry, but this is embarrassing.

Quebec is part of Canada. Guillaume Brisebois (or Mario Lemieux or Patrick Roy or Raymond Bourque) is not a 'foreign name' to Canadians. Every single Canadian who grew up remotely following hockey grew up with these names.

Patrice Brisebois and Guillaume Latendresse were long-time NHLers immediately before this pick was made. These were not new crazy fandangled names. If you can't figure out the name 'Guillaume Brisebois' as a Canadian hockey guy, you're pretty stupid. If some 2020 draft pick was named Stephane Brunet and a GM pronounced 'Step-haney Brunnett', that GM is a moron.

And yeah, other people have fouled names up too. And those people are unprofessional as well. It takes barely more than a minute to ask the right questions to figure out how to give someone the respect of properly pronouncing their name. If you can't take the time to do this, you're a lazy, unprofessional sad old white dude. It's inexcusable for a person at a high management level to act in this fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark