TV: The Man In The High Castle (WWII alternate history, based on PKD novel)

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Not available in Canada when I checked this morning. I'll check again tonight. I guess I was wrong to assume they'd just release it to all regions with Amazon Prime Video.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Excited to watch this show. Haven't seen season 1 yet, but once I get a new laptop on the weekend (old one is ****** and slow), I'm going to power through both seasons.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Up to episode 5. Everything is bigger and grander then season 1. Sets, stories etc. going to finish off the season tonight and can't wait. This show is ****ing amazing.

I still hate Frank though. He's such a Whiney crybaby.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Wow great season. 9/10 for sure. It seemed a little disjointed in the early to mid part of the season at times but that's due to several storylines and characters, nearly all of them top notch. Kido and Smith are definitely my two favorite characters.

[spoil] that finale was insane. Who woulda thunk Heinrich Himmler helps save the day :laugh: and I only pray that Frank is dead for sure. I don't see how he could have lived. But what the **** was that with Trudy at the end ?!? Is the man in the high castle going to start pulling people in and out of timelines ? I hope it doesn't get too confusing. [/spoil]

member 51464

Wow, I feel stupid. I did not realize the second season was out. I wondered why this old thread was getting bumped. Sounds like the next week's free-time is accounted for.

Is there a recap at the start of season 1 of the "previously on..." style that precludes me from needing to rewatch the first season?

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
There's a brief flashback scene but it doesn't really cover all that much.

Watched the 1st episode last night and it's already better than last season.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Holy hell what an amazing first episode that completely messes with your head and emotions. I'm excited reading this thread that the entire season is going to be like this.

Also, on Amazon Prime there is a season 1 recap that's just a few minutes long.

Also, the actor that played Joe Blake got quite a bit pudgier after filming season 1. That threw me off a bit lol.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Wow great season. 9/10 for sure. It seemed a little disjointed in the early to mid part of the season at times but that's due to several storylines and characters, nearly all of them top notch. Kido and Smith are definitely my two favorite characters.

[spoil] that finale was insane. Who woulda thunk Heinrich Himmler helps save the day :laugh: and I only pray that Frank is dead for sure. I don't see how he could have lived. But what the **** was that with Trudy at the end ?!? Is the man in the high castle going to start pulling people in and out of timelines ? I hope it doesn't get too confusing. [/spoil]

Interesting how they are making Himmler out to be considering current history make him out to be quite the psychopath.

Love Smith's story line. Some of the resistance stuff kinda bores me or doesn't play out as well.

They definitely end with a bang in the finale of season 2.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
4 episodes in. It is really, really hard to like Frank Frink. He makes bad decision after bad decision IMO.

Also, the resistance plot line is so boring already and I dislike every member. DJ Qualls' character is the only one remotely likeable. I'm much more invested in what's going on in New York/Berlin now.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I am enjoying this series so much, I might... Buy the book. I'm barely literate when it comes to novels, but I need more.

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
Watched this over the break. I liked season 1 but I figured that the only thing going for the show was the interesting concept. Boy was I wrong. That second season was really good and I now wish I hadn't binged it so quickly as I'll have to wait a full year for the third season(if it gets renewed.)

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I am enjoying this series so much, I might... Buy the book. I'm barely literate when it comes to novels, but I need more.

I didn't like the book. I expected more alternate history content but was bored with the mundane stories of people's lives that had little to do with the Nazi-Japan occupation angle.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Season 2 > Season 1

I loved the stories going on in this season way more than last season. I'm also loving the little bits of alternate history that seemingly get dropped with each episode.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I wasn't really a fan of the identity crisis waffling Joe of season 2.

I do think season 2 was better though.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I'm 4 eps into season 1...good show but I'm so confused with the Japanese story line so far. (with the two sides coming together for a meeting or something).

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I'm 4 eps into season 1...good show but I'm so confused with the Japanese story line so far. (with the two sides coming together for a meeting or something).

The Japanese are technologically underdeveloped compared to the Germans in this story.

The "Swedish" guy who meets with Tagomi gets his backstory explained in later episodes....but already we know he tries to get the plans for the Atomic bomb to the Japanese....so that the Japanese can develop a bomb (to ideally use as a deterrent against world war war). The Swedish guy's meeting is "unauthorized."

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
The Japanese are technologically underdeveloped compared to the Germans in this story.

The "Swedish" guy who meets with Tagomi gets his backstory explained in later episodes....but already we know he tries to get the plans for the Atomic bomb to the Japanese....so that the Japanese can develop a bomb (to ideally use as a deterrent against world war war). The Swedish guy's meeting is "unauthorized."

Ah thank you. I don't know how I missed that. I was wondering what that paper was.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Show some respect, that "Swedish guy" is Wolf "the Dentist" Stansson!

Finished season 2. I do like the moral ambiguity this show creates with its characters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad