TV: The Man In The High Castle (WWII alternate history, based on PKD novel)

Lord Moriarty007

Lets go Avs & Bolts!
May 1, 2013
Denver, CO/Orlando,FL
The Man in the High Castle

Based on Philip K. Dick's award-winning novel, and executive produced by Ridley Scott (Blade Runner), The Man in the High Castle explores what it would be like if the Allied Powers had lost WWII, and Japan and Germany ruled the United States. Starring Rufus Sewell (John Adams), Luke Kleintank (Pretty Little Liars) and Alexa Davalos (Mob City).

Streaming this fall on Amazon Prime.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Did anyone see this pilot on amazon prime awhile ago? They had like 8 pilots and voted on which ones to keep working on. This was definitely one of my favorites.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Loved the pilot. Very excited for this show, even if it's very different from the book. That being said, it's not one of my favorite PKD books anyway.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Saw the pilot. I enjoyed it - different from most other stuff on TV.

I'll start watching episodes when they come out.

member 51464

The 2nd episode is available to watch this weekend if you have Prime! The way it reads, it is just for this weekend and then it disappears until all the episodes are available on November 20.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Just finished the pilot today and will start the 2nd episode soon.

I hope they go over the backstory a little more. Would be very interesting to see what happened that turned the tides for the Axis and how the Allies couldn't recover.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Just finished the pilot today and will start the 2nd episode soon.

I hope they go over the backstory a little more. Would be very interesting to see what happened that turned the tides for the Axis and how the Allies couldn't recover.

The assassination attempt of FDR was successful. That leads to a US that doesn't fully recover from the Great Depression and doesn't have the same armed forces to sway the tide of WWII.

This is from the book (not really a spoiler, since it's the setting), so there's a chance that they go a different route for the show. There's already a very different plot between the book and the show. They pretty much just share character names and settings.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
You watched the pilot right?

[spoil]It was mentioned at least once that the Nazis have the atomic bomb and they used it (I forget if they specify against who - but I think it was at least against America). IIRC the scene was an older Japanese government official meeting with a German official pretending to be Swedish. Basically exchanging information because neither of them wants war. They talked about how "Germany had used the bomb before and would use it again" in reference to a potential Germany vs Japan war breaking out after Hitler(?) or their current leader dies of poor health and is replaced by a German leader who wants to go to war.[/spoil]

I'm assuming that's the direction the show is going to go with "how Germany won".

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
First question: is there a television series going on inside the television series?

Second question: are the Nazis colonizing Mars?

Last edited:

DyerMaker66*

Granted I'm a sucker for WWII alternate history fiction, but this should hopefully be good anyways.

Plus it's based on a PKD novel.

Me too, I'll check the video out when I get home tomorrow.

Are Canada, Britain, and Russia mentioned as being under foreign control?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm quite enjoying the show, but would have honestly liked it better if they simply named Frank and Juliana something else. The show has very little in the way of resemblance to the book, and those two characters in particular are the worst offenders. If they're not going to be even remotely close to the characters they share a name with, why make them share a name?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad