Rumor: The Magical Mystery UFA Tour (feat. Jaromir Jagr)

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm assuming hockeyyy insiderrr.

(Had to add a bunch of y's and r's to avoid the censor.)

EDIT: JK, just did a quick search and it's some other rumor twitter feed. But our double lettered insider friend said we're on the verge of singing Morrow...Someone is bound to be right, right? :laugh:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
These past two off-seasons have been pretty exciting for us. Adding JStaal and Semin to adding Komi and a decent backup goalie to having mystery ufa's talking to JR. Rumors of Morrow and Jagr wanting to sign with our team.

Yeah, this is isn't what we typically experience in the summer.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
These past two off-seasons have been pretty exciting for us. Adding JStaal and Semin to adding Komi and a decent backup goalie to having mystery ufa's talking to JR. Rumors of Morrow and Jagr wanting to sign with our team.

Yeah, this is isn't what we typically experience in the summer.

If you think about it, it's not really that crazy. We might not be the hot bed of hockey that Toronto is, but the Checkers have been around since 1956 and there are ECHL teams o' plenty in SC. We have great weather, great fans and play home games in one of the most bucolic cities in the country.

Our media and fans walk the fine line of being in depth, informed, knowledgeable and on the ball, but without being over the top and annoying and following players around like vultures.

And to top it off, we've always been fairly competitive, even when we were bad, we were never Edmonton bad and the way the team is looking now, we should be poised for a healthy playoff run. Is it really any surprise that once players play here, they never want to leave?

The "South" isn't a place, it's a way of life.

#RedNeckHockey

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
If you think about it, it's not really that crazy. We might not be the hot bed of hockey that Toronto is, but the Checkers have been around since 1956 and there are ECHL teams o' plenty in SC. We have great weather, great fans and play home games in one of the most bucolic cities in the country.

Our media and fans walk the fine line of being in depth, informed, knowledgeable and on the ball, but without being over the top and annoying and following players around like vultures.

And to top it off, we've always been fairly competitive, even when we were bad, we were never Edmonton bad and the way the team is looking now, we should be poised for a healthy playoff run. Is it really any surprise that once players play here, they never want to leave?

The "South" isn't a place, it's a way of life.

#RedNeckHockey

Very well put.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Anyone know how much money Jagr's deal is? If it's any less than 3 mil I'll be pissed we weren't able to sign him. With NJ's cap situation though I imagine it's higher.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Doubt we could've promised Jagr a first line spot like the Devis can, next to Elias and Zajac. I don't know if that played a role or not. We'll see where the money is.

I'd be happier with Morrow as he fits our needs. We don't really need another skilled forward as much as we need a gritty, hard-nosed player in the Ruutu mold.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
You got me.

Edmonton fans don't seem too upset, so I'm clearly missing something about Gagner.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
As an owner of Gagner in fantasy hockey this past season, I'm not shocked. I kept an eye on him and he seemed to produce very well on a line with Yakupov and Hemsky.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Just imagine what the extensions for Yakupov, Schultz, and RNH will look like with this comparable. I can see Yak's agent saying "my client just scored 35 goals, twice that of Gagner, and is young and improving. Give me $7.5M or GTFO."

Although Ruutu's contract is far from the albatross we make it out to be, in this economic climate where the only teams with significant cap space have big name RFAs to sign, we'd be hard-pressed to deal him.

Caniac4ever

Feb 7, 2008
That one chap is thinking that with the Jagr signing, Morrow should soon follow... and he still thinks he's coming here. I believe our chances are higher when our names are in every hat he pulls a name out of.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
As an owner of Gagner in fantasy hockey this past season, I'm not shocked. I kept an eye on him and he seemed to produce very well on a line with Yakupov and Hemsky.

I'll take your word for it. Last I checked, he was a small, soft center that has yet to hit 20 goals and/or 50 points. A guy that's been in the league for 6 years and hasn't shown any sort of progression on the scoresheet.

But the Canes didn't trade for him, so that's all I can ask for. :laugh:

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
I'll take your word for it. Last I checked, he was a small, soft center that has yet to hit 20 goals and/or 50 points. A guy that's been in the league for 6 years and hasn't shown any sort of progression on the scoresheet.

But the Canes didn't trade for him, so that's all I can ask for. :laugh:

His 82 game pace last year was 65 points. Is he worth 4.8 million? Probably not at this point, it would be nice to see him actually put those numbers up over an 82 game schedule, but he's not worth much less than 4.8 at all. It's a slight overpayment but not a terrible contract.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
They're all gonna be 5 mill at least.
Or in other words, just like us after tlusty signs next year.

We'll be worse actually, we'll have six guys making that much.

WWAD

Aug 20, 2009
Pittsburgh already has six guys making that much, and they seem to be doing alright.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad