"The Lockout" and the "''05 Entry Draft" QUESTION...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Just because I'm already sick of CBA talk...

If there's a lockout for the whole season, who will pick first AKA win the Crosby sweepstakes?

Better yet, who will pick 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc etc...

Will the same order from the '04 Draft be used?
Will the players from '05 combine with '06 to make the deepest Draft in history?
Will they draw straws?

What's the deal? :dunno:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
mazmin said:

If there's a lockout for the whole season, who will pick first AKA win the Crosby sweepstakes?

Will the players from '05 combine with '06 to make the deepest Draft in history?
Will they draw straws?

No cba no draft

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
mazmin said:

Will they draw straws?

one theory is that all the players that were going to be drafted become UFA's...well, thats one idea i heard, and i'm sure the union would love that idea.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
pavel datsyuk said:
one theory is that all the players that were going to be drafted become UFA's...well, thats one idea i heard, and i'm sure the union would love that idea.

Well Calgary and Edmonton (read ALL small market) teams wouldn't.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Yeah no CBA means no draft. The rules for the draft are outlined in the CBA.

This has been confirmed by Ottawa's and Edmonton's GMs I believe

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
s7ark said:
Yeah no CBA means no draft. The rules for the draft are outlined in the CBA.
This has been confirmed by Ottawa's and Edmonton's GMs I believe
No CBA no DRAFT is correct.

You can look up the text of the CBA on the NHL.com web site: http://www.nhlcbanews.com/

The draft is covered under Article 8 of the now "old" CBA. When/if they ever agree to a new CBA, they will address how to handle all eligble draftees at that time. It is all up for negotiations.

The only question is if the NHL declares an impasse under US labor laws and begins to offer contracts to players under a non-negotiated labor agreement. Then I guess the NHL could do whatever it wanted with the draft.

Rather Gingerly 1*

montreal said:
No cba no draft

Can't be!!

You are forgeting the original reason why the draft moved from 20 to 18 years old. Going back to the original court decision back in '78. Once a player has reached 18 years old he has the legal right to earn a living.

Avoiding the draft next year would take away that right to a player like Crosby or Brule. They have the equal right to make the big money. If there is no draft and then a season in '05-06, they lose big time.

There has to be a draft....it probably will be using the selection order in the '04 draft.

AgentOrange*

Rather Gingerly 1 said:
Can't be!!

You are forgeting the original reason why the draft moved from 20 to 18 years old. Going back to the original court decision back in '78. Once a player has reached 18 years old he has the legal right to earn a living.

Avoiding the draft next year would take away that right to a player like Crosby or Brule. They have the equal right to make the big money. If there is no draft and then a season in '05-06, they lose big time.

There has to be a draft....it probably will be using the selection order in the '04 draft.

You cant 'earn a living' (NHL) if there is no league (CBA agreement). But then again, you must be correct, and not the couple teams (GM's) that have stated the obvious along with what the CBA states inregards to the draft.

:shakehead

Anyways, how is an undrafted player like Crosby having their right to 'earn a living' being taken away, if they can still 'earn a living' by playing for a European league/team. :p:

Last edited by a moderator:

Rather Gingerly 1*

AgentOrange said:
You cant 'earn a living' (NHL) if there is no league (CBA agreement). But then again, you must be correct, and not the couple teams (GM's) that have stated the obvious along with what the CBA states inregards to the draft.

:shakehead :

RE-READ my first post!! Carefully this time!! :shakehead

Which GMs said there would be no draft?

AgentOrange said:
Anyways, how is an undrafted player like Crosby having their right to 'earn a living' being taken away, if they can still 'earn a living' by playing for a European league/team. :p:

He has the right to earn the most money he can or play where he wants. Which would be in the NHL. If there is a season in '05-06.

If there is NHL hockey in '05-06 there has to be a draft.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Rather Gingerly 1 said:
RE-READ my first post!! Carefully this time!! :shakehead

Which GMs said there would be no draft?

He has the right to earn the most money he can or play where he wants. Which would be in the NHL. If there is a season in '05-06.

If there is NHL hockey in '05-06 there has to be a draft.

Kevin Lowe has for sure. and there was a article up on the Ottawa Sens section of www.canoe.ca but I am too lazy to look it up for you.

And the player still has the right to make a living, just not in the NHL. They could play for a Euro team or any other pro league in the world if they wanted to. No law can make the NHL sign new players. That is insane to even say. When has the government ever forced a company to hire more employees?

Keyser Soze

Sep 15, 2004
Los Angeles
If the re is no season then there would be no draft. For example, if the CBA is fixed after the 2005 Entry Draft then the 2006 Entry draft would go as planned and all the players from the 2005 draft year would then become free agents.

It would be a mess to say the least and the bidding war that would start for a player like Crosby is what caused the CBA problems in the first place.

Ironic!!!

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
I think it is pretty clear that if there is no CBA then there will be no draft in '05.

If they agree upon a new CBA prior to the scheduled '05 draft then I suppose the draft will also be negotiated into the agreement. Anybody's guess to what the order might be.

If there is no CBA after the scheduled '05 draft, then whenever they finally agree, the terms of the '05 draft will need to be included. Could be the '05s get tossed into '06. Could be a special draft for '05s using the '04 order. Could be a lottery system. Could be all undrafted '05s are UFAs?

Who the hell knows! :banghead:

I will tell you this, the draft eligible kids that have to wait may have a lawsuit (maybe against both the NHLPA and the owners). At the very least, I'll bet the Crosby camp will argue that he is an UFA. Why not, no league, no CBA therefore no restrictions on his free movement? I think Crosby's lawyers would have a strong arguement.

Rather Gingerly 1*

dunwoody_joe said:
Who the hell knows! :banghead:

I will tell you this, the draft eligible kids that have to wait may have a lawsuit (maybe against both the NHLPA and the owners). At the very least, I'll bet the Crosby camp will argue that he is an UFA. Why not, no league, no CBA therefore no restrictions on his free movement? I think Crosby's lawyers would have a strong arguement.

If that happened Crosby and all other 18 year olds would all be given unrestricted status. I can't see the teams doing that. There will be a draft. If not, there will be no hockey in '05-06.

Rather Gingerly 1*

s7ark said:
Kevin Lowe has for sure. and there was a article up on the Ottawa Sens section of www.canoe.ca but I am too lazy to look it up for you.?

I don't think the article exist or Lowe thinks there will be no NHL hockey in '05-06. It's either one or the other.

I can't honestly see the league shutting down for two complete seasons. As a hockey fan that would be a tough pill to swallow. The most you would see is a one year shutdown.

s7ark said:
No law can make the NHL sign new players. That is insane to even say. When has the government ever forced a company to hire more employees?

You misunderstand the original court decision. It never said they were forced to hire more employees. It said they had to give equal opportunity to players once they reached the age of majority. If they can play well enough of course.

Kaiped Krusader

Jul 1, 2004
Rylan up the Opposition
Rather Gingerly 1 said:
If that happened Crosby and all other 18 year olds would all be given unrestricted status. I can't see the teams doing that. There will be a draft. If not, there will be no hockey in '05-06.
You place way too much importance on the draft. There's absolutely no reason a sports league has to have a draft in order to have a season. Things will work out one way or another, but '05/'06 won't automatically be wiped out if there's no '05 draft.

The preceding season is a lot more germane to any given draft than the following one. If there's no season this year then we're far more likely to have no draft in '05 than we are to have no season in '05/'06 based on not having an '05 draft.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
If that happened Crosby and all other 18 year olds would all be given unrestricted status. QUOTE]
And why stop there? How about all the undrafted 19 and 20 year olds? Why don't they get to go where they want?

ONE MORE TIME. REPEAT AFTER ME....NO CBA NO DRAFT.

A player can go to Europe, AHL, anywhere anybody wants to offer him a contract, except the NHL. Why? Becasue the NHL has forbidden any team to sign ANYBODY until a new CBA is in place.

The draft IS, I REPEAT, IS a negotiated part of the CBA agreement. The rules for eligibility, running of, etc. are all spelled out in there. Go to Article 8 of the old CBA on the NHL website for all the gory details if you're so inclined.

If the season is toast and they come to their senses in a year, the NHLPA and the NHL will NEGOTIATE the terms and conditions of the draft, including what to do with this year's crop . (My guess and its only a guess, some sort of supplemental draft, terms and conditions to be decided).

IMO the lockout will not last longer than 1 year. The NHL will declare an impasse, impose its own "CBA" (without the "CB") and allow players to sign new contracts (probably with their old teams), effectively forcing the NHLPA to surrender if they think enough players will jump ranks. Or else the NHL will find minor league players that will play, and eventually break the union when players realize it is a lost cause.

But not before the lawyers all get rich.

Rather Gingerly 1*

Kickabrat said:
If that happened Crosby and all other 18 year olds would all be given unrestricted status. QUOTE]
And why stop there? How about all the undrafted 19 and 20 year olds? Why don't they get to go where they want?

All undrafted 18 year-olds are free to sign with any NHL club. That's how we got players like Mike Keane or Olivier Michaud in the past.

There has to be a draft. If there is hockey in 2005-06. Of else all 18 year-olds will have unrestricted status as an undrafted 18 year-old.

Once a player reached the age of majority(18 years old in Canada), they have the legal right to compete for NHL jobs and earn a contract. Rob Ramage, Mike Gartner and a number of the Baby Bulls took that to court back in '78. They won the legal right to compete for NHL jobs. Which changed the draft age.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rather Gingerly 1 said:
All undrafted 18 year-olds are free to sign with any NHL club. That's how we got players like Mike Keane or Olivier Michaud in the past.

There has to be a draft. If there is hockey in 2005-06. Of else all 18 year-olds will have unrestricted status as an undrafted 18 year-old.

Once a player reached the age of majority(18 years old in Canada), they have the legal right to compete for NHL jobs and earn a contract. Rob Ramage, Mike Gartner and a number of the Baby Bulls took that to court back in '78. They won the legal right to compete for NHL jobs. Which changed the draft age.

If there's no draft than a player can't go undrafted, no?

Think here.

No CBA, no draft.

It's a done deal.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
Reveille said:
If there's no draft than a player can't go undrafted, no?

Think here.

No CBA, no draft.

It's a done deal.

or..if there is no draft, then the player is undrafted. If so, he is a UFA.

If I was an enterprising lawyer (is there any other type?) I would jump to argue this case for each of the top prospects. Crosby on speed dial!

Imagine the chaos that would ensue :lol

Betcha the owners and NHLPA would rush to agree to a new CBA then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad