The Legend of Lundqvist

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
How was he part of the problem when the Rangers couldn't score? Do you expect your goalie to score goals too?

He was part of the problem because he allowed goals, clearly. If he had only pitched a shutout, the game could still be going on! :sarcasm:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Yep, just like every other year, it's never his fault and if you criticize Lundqvist you don't know hockey.

What game did you watch? Lundqvist was the only reason the Rangers had a chance to win going into the 3rd.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Yeay right.. "part of the probelm":facepalm: He's The best goalie in the world right now, period.

How was he part of the problem when the Rangers couldn't score? Do you expect your goalie to score goals too?

Not give up a really weak goal when your team is tied 0-0 in the third period?

Loss isn't on him.. and I've said multiple times he's the best goalie in the league right now (Price, arguably.. but I think Henrik is still #1 by a hair). That doesn't mean he can do no wrong. He'd be the first to tell you how weak that 1st goal was.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Only a solid 85% of his career facing 12 shots a game.

I hate this argument.

Brodeur was as much of a part of the trap as every other player. The trap would not have been as effective as it was without Brodeur's ability to handle the puck. That should absolutely be included in discussions about Brodeur.

How much defensive zone time do you think Marty has prevented by playing the puck which would've likely translated to more shots?

However, back on Lundqvist, I feel bad for him just because he's one of the best of his generation and he always seems to fall short. As a Devils fan, I just don't want to see it happen on the Rangers. I honestly don't know what it is about Lundqvist. He's been on teams that collapse heavily (2012) and teams that are strong offensively and decent defensively. It seems like he gets incredibly unlucky. You can never really fault his performance though. The only game of the last few years that I thought Lundqvist was shaky in when his team needed him was Game 6 against the Devils, however, he rebounded from a shaky first period where he looked to be second guessing himself.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Not give up a really weak goal when your team is tied 0-0 in the third period?

Loss isn't on him.. and I've said multiple times he's the best goalie in the league right now (Price, arguably.. but I think Henrik is still #1 by a hair). That doesn't mean he can do no wrong. He'd be the first to tell you how weak that 1st goal was.

Ok, but unless your expectations were for Lundqvist to pitch a shutout, I'd hardly say you can call him part of the problem. Goalies give up goals. It's part of the job hazard. A goalie's responsibility is to keep the score close enough to give the team in front of him a chance to win, especially when that team is getting outplayed badly.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I disagree with the storyline that some commentators are pushing that make it seem like he's similar to Hasek in Buffalo, as a singular talent that just doesn't have the luck or team support to take them over the top. Lundqvist is very good but the Rangers win and lose their games as a team, with Lundqvist as just one other part of that team. He has plenty of great games but bad ones too, and the Rangers are a stacked team as well.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Lundqvist is absolutely the best goalie of this Era.

With that said, he's still below Roy, Hasek and Broduer in the last 25 years or so.

Hasek is the greatest of all time, plain and simple

Roy unbelievable talent with a competitive drive to match.

Brodeur? Probably doesn't stop pucks as well as Lundqvist (though they're probably right around the same), but his stick handling separates him.

Lundqvist deserves a cup, plain and simple. Will he get one? Sometimes the greats don't and it's a bummer, but he certainly deserves one at some point.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sorry for Jonathan. Lundqvist is absolutely the best goalie of his generation. If he played for the Kings I don't even want to think about how dominant they would be. He is a much more consistent performer than Quick.

Peak Quick is better than peak Lundqvist. But Lundqvist is consistently excellent.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver

With that said, he's still below Roy, Hasek and Broduer in the last 25 years or so.

Brodeur? Probably doesn't stop pucks as well as Lundqvist (though they're probably right around the same), but his stick handling separates him.

Lundqvist deserves a cup, plain and simple. Will he get one? Sometimes the greats don't and it's a bummer, but he certainly deserves one at some point.

No one deserves anything. When he lifts it over his head he deserves it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

He is not clearly better than Price, or even Quick for that matter. Of this group of top goalies, Price has the worst team around him. I don't think Lundqvist has proven enough for me to say he's better than Brodeur.

gambitlebo

Apr 28, 2006
Try playing goalie and win games when the team infront of u dont score goals. If u figure out how to win with them not scoring please get back to me!

The Kings offense says hello.

Lundqvist is the NHL's Peyton Manning. Sure he's great in the regular season but just can't seem to figure out the post season.

And no, I'm not convinced the Kings win 2 cups with Lundqvist. I'm not even convinced Lundqvist could have gotten them into the playoffs the year they were the 8th seed.

Every year it's the same story from Rangers fans..."the team failed Lundqvist". Funny thing is if the Rangers offense scored 6 goals last night and Lundqvist allowed 7, it would still be either the offense or the defenses fault.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Can't believe that a few posters in this thread are seemingly implying that Lundqvist is near or at Brodeur's level. That's insulting to Brodeur. Don't get me wrong, Hank is a great goalie. He's arguably the best in the world today and is even a possible future Hall of Famer, but it's completely asinine and undeserved to put him in the same stratosphere as a goalie of Brodeur's stature.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
For many years, Lundqvist was dragging around downright bad teams and making them look almost like contenders.

For a 3 year stretch I'd say he had only above average teams in front of him 08-09, 09-10, and 10-11.

But the 05-06, 06-07, and 07-08 Rangers were beastly teams. Sure not as good as the 2011 through 2015 teams, but excellent hockey teams nonetheless.

Best In The Game

Nov 13, 2013
ottawa
Unless goalies start scoring goals and playing defense, you can't fault them when they let in 2 goals or less a game, which Lundquist has done.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Marty helped himself quite a bit. You know how Hank can't play the puck to save his life? Marty was the GOAT at that. He cut off maybe 8-10 shots a game.

Hank isn't in his stratoshphere.

I actually believe Marty's rebound control was more of a factor at preventing shots. You basically had to beat Brodeur straight up, because you weren't gonna get many secondary chances of you didn't.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The Kings offense says hello.

Lundqvist is the NHL's Peyton Manning. Sure he's great in the regular season but just can't seem to figure out the post season.

And no, I'm not convinced the Kings win 2 cups with Lundqvist. I'm not even convinced Lundqvist could have gotten them into the playoffs the year they were the 8th seed.

Every year it's the same story from Rangers fans..."the team failed Lundqvist". Funny thing is if the Rangers offense scored 6 goals last night and Lundqvist allowed 7, it would still be either the offense or the defenses fault.

Interesting points.

For the first one, the Kings scored 2.85 GPG in the 2012 postseason, good for 3rd in playoffs only behind the Flyers and Penguins, which both inflated each others goal stats with that ridiculous first round they had. In 2014 the Kings had the leagues best offense with a 3.38 GPG.

This season NYR averaged 2.37GPG (7/16), while last year they were at 2.56 (11/16)

For the second one, Quick finished just behind Lundqvist in Vezina voting that season, and two places behind in Hart voting.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Lundqvist will go down as one of the most consistent goalies of this era in a time when goaltending as a whole has vastly improved. He's distinguished himself with his battle and with his consistency. His name is always near the top (if not at the top) and he'll always give you at least a chance to win. Future HoFer imo.

That being said, he put up numbers vs. TB that got other goalies eviscerated and people are still falling all over themselves to make excuses for him. The lens used to examine Hank is not used to examine other goalies and that's not his fault but it's just wrong. And to be frank, after having Rangers fans post threads about having the best D in the league, the best team in the league, last year about being better than the Kings at all positions but 1C (and McDonagh > Doughty), in addition to all their actual accompishments record-wise, I can't believe that I'm now hearing it's a team game and their team isn't that good, just kept alive by Hank. I remember being lectured in 2012 about how Quick should have more wins despite similar run support and Hank just knows how to win and get it done. It's fun to see this come full circle.

HP00

Oct 27, 2007
Buffalo, NY
He has the most playoff wins of any goalie who hasn't won a Cup, not sure if anyone would really want that record though

FoppaForsberg*

The guy has phenomenal statistics in the playoffs in general and even better in elimination games. He almost always shows up big when the team has their back to the wall. What do you want him to do? If you watch a lot of the games, like tonight, can you really argue that his team showed up? Can you argue the Rangers showed up to outplay the Kings last year? The guy is the best goalie of his generation.

No, he is not. However; overrated as **** ? Yes, no doubt about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad