The Legend of Lundqvist

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Lundqvist was very, very sharp the last two games. The team in front of him wasn't in game 7. Don't blame him. He made a few ridiculous saves. Deflections and such, guy was sharp.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Shocker for me, was how the Rangers didn't make Tampa pay for all the cheating all over the ice they do.

I am Kings fan, so I get to see players on the right side of the puck ALL friggin day till my eyes bleed.

Tampa players leave the zone without the puck constantly, and on the wrong side of the puck numerous times a game.

They would all be benched in LA.

How the Rangers didn't make Tampa pay for that is just, amazing.

We did make them pay. 17 times in Tampa Bay.

They played a much more conservative game at MSG. They kept everyone down low and our forwards had to go 3 against 5. You can do this against the Rangers because there's no shooting threat from our D.

The blueline has serious issues on both sides of the puck that nobody wants to see because of Lundqvist and what has become a very good forward corps.

The way to beat the Rangers is collapsing. It's a well-known fact that home teams press and away teams collapse. That's why the Rangers struggled at home all year. The Tampa Bay series exemplified this about as perfectly as you could.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Try playing goalie and win games when the team infront of u dont score goals. If u figure out how to win with them not scoring please get back to me!

Just checked...

Dallas Stars 261 goals
New York Rangers 252 goals
New York Islanders 252 goals

Fascinating how a team that can't score was tied for second highest scoring team in the NHL.

FATCHAMALA11

Kneel Before Zod
Feb 16, 2006
NJ
That Marty guy was pretty good.

You know the whole 12 consecutive 30 wins seasons (only broken on one end because of a lockout) without even the shootout to help for most of it. Most 40 wins seasons, most 30 wins seasons.. barely any injuries over a 22+ year career?

Among his generation, absolutely though.

Only a solid 85% of his career facing 12 shots a game.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
A lot has been written about Lundqvist record in "elimination" games.

His record in the last game of a series in which the Rangers either won Game 7 or lost the series is now 7-9.

He admittedly has won a few games where the Rangers were facing elimination (that is trailing 0-3, 1-3 or 2-3).

So in series where the Rangers lose at least 3 games, Lundqvist still manages to win the series 7 of 16 times...

...and wins 100 % of the rest.

Last edited:

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Only a solid 85% of his career facing 12 shots a game.

devils.jb_.jpg
2000-devils-alt-e1273696763869-300x296.jpg
martin_brodeur_nj_03_st_cup_photofile.jpg

Last edited:

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
People are way too quick to say hank is the clear cut best of this generation. He is a constant top five guy with a couple others who flip flop who is best year after year. Once again crowned a king while not having the credentials to 100% back that up.

[MOD]

Most of us that know hockey's finer details that don't post often because our faces can't withstand all the palming, would understand this senario and fully agree.

If forced to draft a team today and the prime directive was to draft a goalie first with Lundqvist, Quick, or Rinne as the choices, you take Lundqvist before the other two every time and let the rest of the drafting teams fight over the scraps outside the top 3.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
[MOD]
Most of us that know hockey's finer details that don't post often because our faces can't withstand all the palming, would understand this senario and fully agree.

If forced to draft a team today and the prime directive was to draft a goalie first with Lundqvist, Quick, or Rinne as the choices, you take Lundqvist before the other two every time and let the rest of the drafting teams fight over the scraps outside the top 3.

[MOD]

I mean you take Price #1 absolutely and there's an argument to be made for the other 2 over Lundqvist based on age.

Lundqvist is the best goalie in the league right now but Price isn't very far behind if at all + will be in the league much longer going forward. The other two are a tier (or two) lower but also have an extra few years.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
I mean you take Price #1 absolutely and there's an argument to be made for the other 2 over Lundqvist based on age.

Lundqvist is the best goalie in the league right now but Price isn't very far behind if at all + will be in the league much longer going forward. The other two are a tier (or two) lower but also have an extra few years.

That's cute.

Pretty much the polar opposite of what I was saying.

Bravo. :laugh:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Try playing goalie and win games when the team infront of u dont score goals. If u figure out how to win with them not scoring please get back to me!

Exactly hank is amazing but he also has one of the best if not the best D corps in the league in front of him. Their offense is full of guys that have yet to peak or are just not getting it done in the playoffs. If your best scorer is Nash you are going to need others to step up or have others around to score. They are built from the back end out. They are coached very well and play great D but you need high end performing players upfront and they don't have that.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
[MOD]

[MOD]

I'm not sure why you felt the need to place Price outside the top 3 other than to incite a response from Habs fans.

A case could be made for Lundqvist over Price. A case could be made for Quick over Price.

But what has Rinne done?

[MOD]

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I'm not sure why you felt the need to place Price outside the top 3 other than to incite a response from Habs fans.

A case could be made for Lundqvist over Price. A case could be made for Quick over Price.

But what has Rinne done?

[MOD]

I don't see what case could be made for Quick, he's had one great year and that's it. He's not even a top-5 goalie in the league anymore.

Especially if we're talking in terms of starting a new team and drafting a goalie, Price's age makes him the #1 choice no question.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don't see how you can blame Lundqvist for this year's exit. The guy can't score goals himself.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I must be getting soft in my old age, but I am about to say something nice/positive about a New York Ranger and a Montreal Canadien.

For starters, it was heartbreaking to see Lundquist lose last night. He's a tremendous goalie, and (in my opinion) an all-around swell guy. There are some guys you just want to see do well (except at the expense of your favorite team, of course) and Lundquist is one of those guys for me. Where would the Rangers be without him? I hope he gets his day in the sun with the Stanley Cup someday.

Secondly, if I were starting a team, or could have any goalie in the world on my team, I would take Carey Price every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Solid. Dependable. Lucky (that's a compliment). Talented. Price is truly the last line of defense and comes out on top far more often than not. I think he makes up for many deficiencies that Montreal has, and probably needs to see a chiropractor for his achy back. Not to say that the other Canadiens aren't good, but he elevates them to heights that they otherwise wouldn't reach.

I suppose the best compliment I could pay Carey price is that I would jump for joy if he decided to leave the Atlantic Division and play in the KHL next year.

I really felt bad for the Rangers and their fans last night. Sometimes those handshake lines are hard to watch.

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
Yep, just like every other year, it's never his fault and if you criticize Lundqvist you don't know hockey.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
i think its stupid to blame the loss on him last night

but he was certainly part of the problem, not the solution.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad