The Legacy of Steve Yzerman

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
People will point to the DBC and Kane signings as trying to move out of the rebuild but they weren't. It just was the end of the straight tanking period. The Wings even without those guys probably aren't finishing bottom 5, so there is no point in a tank. If you fall in that middle ground you mise well try for the playoffs because picking 12 or 15th isn't a huge difference most years. And if you've moved into that period you mise well employ a semi entertaining team so that fans have something to watch. Its ultimately still about making money. Kane and DBC sell tickets.
Past couple of years, it's been hard to out tank SJ, Chicago, Ana, CBS, Mon, AZ. Without DCat and Kane, still 20 points ahead of the bottom 3 last year. Then it was 11 points from the bottom 5.
That's how bad the other teams have been.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
On Jeff Marek's show yesterday they were talking about Yzerman's legacy in Detroit and he alludes to how Raymond was a surprise pick at #4. Correct me if I'm wrong but Raymond was definitely in the next tier of players after Stutzle was taken in his draft year. I thought he was clearly the 4th best player that year (my pick at 4 for my fantasy team) and that he was an obvious pick for Detroit. Marek is probably confusing that pick with Seider who was a surprising and fantastic pick.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
On Jeff Marek's show yesterday they were talking about Yzerman's legacy in Detroit and he alludes to how Raymond was a surprise pick at #4. Correct me if I'm wrong but Raymond was definitely in the next tier of players after Stutzle was taken in his draft year. I thought he was clearly the 4th best player that year (my pick at 4 for my fantasy team) and that he was an obvious pick for Detroit. Marek is probably confusing that pick with Seider who was a surprising and fantastic pick.

More than likely mixed the two up as Raymond wasn't really a surprise to quite a few Wings fans, while Seider nobody expected or had even heard of.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I would agree with some of the above posts, the rebuild phase is not complete but we have moved out of the competition for top 5 picks. From here on out it's hoping we grab some sleepers, role players, UFA, and trades. Still have Ed, Cossa, Kasper coming. Larkin might go past his prime during our window but he's only 27 and no reason to believe he can't maintain a high level of play into his mid 30's. I think there is a really good chance we make the playoffs next season and this is an exciting core to see develop.

Yzerman may be signing some plugs, especially D, for that outside chance we can get in, but they are in fact plugs. These are short term, not Holland's temporary permanent plugs. Once the young guns fill out they will be gone.

A side concern of mine is Chris Illich's commitment to spend to make it happen. IMO he doesn't seem as openly committed/obsessed with the wings as his father and we haven't really seen him spend to the cap yet. I hope cash isn't a constraint when the time comes.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
People thought Yzerman had a type when it came to the draft and Raymond was not what people thought he usually picked. (Not with high picks at least)

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
I was looking at Yzerman's draft picks since he became GM of the Redwings 5 years ago and I was impressed at how many prospects are doing well at the NHL, AHL SHL, KHL, OHL and NCAA level and still considered genuine NHL prospects that are mentioned often on the forums

2019 - Moritz Seider, Antti Tuomisto, Albert Johansson, Elmer Soderblom
2020 - Lucas Raymond, William Wallinder
2021 - Simon Edvinsson, Sebastian Cossa, Shai Buium, Carter Mazur
2022 - Marco Kasper, Dmitri Buchelnikov, Amadeus Lombardi
2023 - Nate Danielson, Axel Sandin Pelikka, Trey Augustine, Andrew Gibson

Obviously it is too early to say how the younger players from later draft picks who were not mentioned will do as they are still playing in the juniors but the record has showed that many have or about to make the jump to the AHL and the NHL already.

His first draft pick Seider at #6 was highly criticized for being a reach but Seider proved everybody wrong by winning the Rookie of the Year award in 2022 and is considered the 2nd best player in the 2019 NHL draft in most NHL redraft rankings and might even overtake Hughes at the end of their careers.

Another controversial draft pick was choosing Sebastian Cossa at 15th overall in the 2021 NHL draft over consensus top goalie Wallstedt.

He started slow last year in the AHL after just 3 games and played most of the season in the ECHL where he dominated but has gone 20-8-9 in 37 games to go with a 2.42 goals-against average and a .913 save percentage for Grand Rapids this year.

He went 19 decisions without a regulation loss (13-0-6) from Jan. 19 to April 5, establishing a franchise record. After an up-and-down first part of the season, Cossa has gone 16-2-6 with a 2.01 GAA and a .923 save percentage since Christmas.

Most telling of all he has outdueled other young goalie prospect studs Askarov and Wallstedt in the games he has played against them.

detroithockeynow.com

Cossa Measures Up Well Against Top Young AHL Goalies

What Detroit Red Wings fans want to know most about Sebastian Cossa is his ETA for the NHL. There’s still no timetable for Cossa’s ascension to the show, but Cossa is doing all that he can to expedite his rise. Cossa made 32 saves Wednesday to fuel the Grand Rapids Griffins to a 4-1 road […]

His first 2 draft picks this year Nate Danielson and ASP look like studs already with the former playing well in the NHL preseason as a last minute cut for the Redwings and ASP winning the best defenseman award at the World Junior Championships as well as for the SHL (Salming trophy) at only 19 y.o.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
People thought Yzerman had a type when it came to the draft and Raymond was not what people thought he usually picked. (Not with high picks at least)
Raymond has always been a hyper-competitive guy even in his development days. I know a lot of us had him high on the board but I thought they would like him a lot for that. When we talk Yzerman types it’s those dudes that are always student of the game competitive types he seems to like with both Tampa and Detroit. I think how he directs the scouts is something I like thus far from Yzerman and Draper. Even the hold overs from Holland basically carry this aspect in my opinion.

Last edited:

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Raymond has always been a hyper-competitive guy even in his development days. I know a lot of us had him high on the board but I thought they would like him a lot for that. When we talk Yzerman types it’s those dudes that are always student of the game competitive types he seems to like with both Tampa and Detroit. I think how he directs the scouts is something I like this far from Yzerman and Draper. Even the hold overs from Holland basically carry this aspect in my opinion.
This is a nuanced view of prospects, but a very important nuance. I'd say it's probably more difficult to gauge than say, puck skills or shot accuracy, but the attitude behind the player's skillset drives the results. What kind of player would Ray look like if he didn't bust his nuts off to win puck battles.

Larkin has it, Mo has it, Ray has it, Ed has it. Kane has it and it's partly why I believe he'll sign for at least another year or two here because of the best players leading this team by example.

Of the guys coming up, Danielson and ASP also give me major competitive vibes. Kasper too. You need this out of your top young players, which is why I do think the future for us is much brighter than many give Detroit credit for, even if we don't have an "elite talent".

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
I would agree with some of the above posts, the rebuild phase is not complete but we have moved out of the competition for top 5 picks. From here on out it's hoping we grab some sleepers, role players, UFA, and trades. Still have Ed, Cossa, Kasper coming. Larkin might go past his prime during our window but he's only 27 and no reason to believe he can't maintain a high level of play into his mid 30's. I think there is a really good chance we make the playoffs next season and this is an exciting core to see develop.

Yzerman may be signing some plugs, especially D, for that outside chance we can get in, but they are in fact plugs. These are short term, not Holland's temporary permanent plugs. Once the young guns fill out they will be gone.

A side concern of mine is Chris Illich's commitment to spend to make it happen. IMO he doesn't seem as openly committed/obsessed with the wings as his father and we haven't really seen him spend to the cap yet. I hope cash isn't a constraint when the time comes.
Yes, the track the team is on, the real cup windows open up around when Larkin is around 32 +/-, from memory, SY was 31 when the wings won in 96. SY is looking to build a perennial contender, which takes some time. I expect to see 12-15 home grown players on the roster by then (almost all of the back end) and some 11-8 traded for and FA folks.

Another 1-2 bubble years, but GR grads should start rolling in next season. I expect to see 4 GR grads on the wings roster by the end of the 24/25 season (Ed is already here, so 4 others) and maybe 2-3 more the next year as the current contracts for plug vets expires.

Reactions: Retire91

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Raymond has always been a hyper-competitive guy even in his development days. I know a lot of us had him high on the board but I thought they would like him a lot for that. When we talk Yzerman types it’s those dudes that are always student of the game competitive types he seems to like with both Tampa and Detroit. I think how he directs the scouts is something I like this far from Yzerman and Draper. Even the hold overs from Holland basically carry this aspect in my opinion.
That all tracks. I just remember a decent amount of “Yzerman isn’t going to draft a 5’10” winger at #4” discourse out there.

It’s pretty cool to see if come full circle. The kid scores a high pressure goal against Askarov as a prospect then scores a huge tying goal to keep our season alive. He definitely has shown that competitiveness for awhile.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
So does Stevie sign Kane for next year ?

Cuz if he doesn't that will leave a pretty huge hole in the roster.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

I imagine that’s up to Kane. I’m sure Stevie would welcome him back with open arms, but does Kane want to come back? Doesn’t sound too promising so far, but who knows.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
I imagine that’s up to Kane. I’m sure Stevie would welcome him back with open arms, but does Kane want to come back? Doesn’t sound too promising so far, but who knows.

I do think Kane would take a discount to play in Detroit if Steve plays it well. But ya if SY doesn't want to give him at least 2 plus years it ain't happening. With all the parity in the league and the fact he is such a clutch hockey player the guy wins games. He just does. Kane leaves and the team is most likely going back to competing with Ottawa for the basement.

So ya if I am SY I'd be offering him 3 years. And oh ya. He sells tickets lol.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago

It was a great year,” Kane said. “I have nothing but positive things to say about the organization, obviously the opportunity from (Red Wings general manager Steve Yzerman), and (head coach Derek Lalonde) to give me the chance to come and play, the situations I was put in, I feel like I got a lot of opportunity to play in the top six and power play, and just play with some great players. It was fun to be around the group. It was fun to be a Wing and in this organization. And I’ll definitely have some memories to last me a lifetime.”

“It’s kind of hard to say right now, because everything’s just so fresh, with the season being done and everything,” Kane said. “I think coming into this year, my decision was based on playing on a good team, a team where I thought I fit in well, obviously the comfort (of) playing with Alex (DeBrincat) again was something I was looking forward to, and really enjoyed that as well. But as the season goes on, you realize there’s a lot of good players here, there’s a lot of good players to play with, and like I said before, was put in a great situation to succeed, and play a lot of minutes and play with some good players. So I was real appreciative of that.

When asked if he expected to hit the open market on July 1st, Kane said that he'd explore his option with
Detroit to see if it's still a fit. He mentioned that it's hard to say at this point if he will hit the open market and said we'll see what happens. Kane went on to say "It’s hard to really fully understand the situation. But I guess we’ll kind of see, see what happens. I’m sure my agent and Steve will have those conversations and kind of go from there.”

It sounds like that Kane hasn't completely closed the possibility of re-signing with Detroit. He still has fond memories of playing as a junior in Detroit, had only positive things to say about his experience with the Redwings and has close ties with Alex DeBrincat.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Seems the door is still open, but that’s a lot of past tense language he used.

Reactions: RRhoads

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad