The Legacy of Steve Yzerman

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
No worries, thanks for all the hard work on OP, psychedelic color codes & all.

Haha, the colors still kinda bug me. I've played with them several times trying to find duller/darker shades that aren't so hard on the eyes.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Holland had different directives at that point. His last couple of years when allowed to rebuild looks similar in terms of heavy asset acquisition. His last one actually being Stevie's. Curious what Stevie does in year 4 next year... I don't think we plan on being bad beyond the 2022 draft. I get staying bad for the crack at Shane Wright, he is the best player since McDavid, in my opinion he can be better than Crosby. So yeah exceptional talent if we get lottery luck in 2022.

I would be terrible for the '22 and '23 drafts but then look too start improving the team past them. Wright in 22 and Bedard in 23 are both too good to not maximize our potential to acquire.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I would be terrible for the '22 and '23 drafts but then look too start improving the team past them. Wright in 22 and Bedard in 23 are both too good to not maximize our potential to acquire.
Who are Bedard and Wright's player comparisons?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Think Bedard looked like "Kucherov playing center" at some point, and Wright is "more goal-scoring MacKinnon".

Bedard is so good and special that he could be something we have never seen.

Wright makes me think of a defensively conscious Auston Matthews. I think offensively Wright ends up having a similar impact.

Bedard is difficult. He doesn't remind me of any current players, but maybe he's a bit of a throwback to the freewheeling offensive centers of the 1980's and early 90's? Denis Savard, Dale Hawerchuk, Pat Lafontaine, young Yzerman, young Sakic. Amazing shot release and just seems to know where everyone is moving in the offensive zone.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Think Bedard looked like "Kucherov playing center" at some point, and Wright is "more goal-scoring MacKinnon".

Bedard is so good and special that he could be something we have never seen.
Wow. I have a feeling we won't be bad/lucky enough to get either of them :(

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
giphy.gif

Just cause.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He is having a fantastic off-season. Really kicked it off with the trade deadline. Keep going Stevie, I think we are getting a lot better hockey to watch next year. Not saying we climb super far in the standings, but I think this group is going to be a lot more fun to watch and Yzerman has face-lifted a lot of this team. Good to see.

Reactions: Frk It

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
He is having a fantastic off-season. Really kicked it off with the trade deadline. Keep going Stevie, I think we are getting a lot better hockey to watch next year. Not saying we climb super far in the standings, but I think this group is going to be a lot more fun to watch and Yzerman has face-lifted a lot of this team. Good to see.

I think everyone was expecting turnover of that Mantha through Larkin core eventually. Just maybe a piece or so. We saw Athanasiou go, and the position the Wings were in, it became more apparent that that entire core was going to be split before we accomplish anything.

I’m just surprised at how quick it seems to have manifested. I now think Bertuzzi is more likely to be gone by the deadline than he is to still be in Detroit.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think everyone was expecting turnover of that Mantha through Larkin core eventually. Just maybe a piece or so. We saw Athanasiou go, and the position the Wings were in, it became more apparent that that entire core was going to be split before we accomplish anything.

I’m just surprised at how quick it seems to have manifested. I now think Bertuzzi is more likely to be gone by the deadline than he is to still be in Detroit.

Yzerman at least said something different today, I think that is actually to keep his value at a more premium. That seemed smart, but he did say he wanted Bertuzzi to be with the team long-term in his presser.

I just think if the value gets good enough you do that. Yzerman has always seemed to have a cold blooded nature in trades. He just swoops in and out it seems. It certainly one of his strengths as a GM. I think we are getting a little better here, I am encouraged we might not be quite as brutal to watch on a lot of nights.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yzerman at least said something different today, I think that is actually to keep his value at a more premium. That seemed smart, but he did say he wanted Bertuzzi to be with the team long-term in his presser.

I just think if the value gets good enough you do that. I think we are getting a little better here, I am encouraged we might not be quite as brutal to watch on a lot of nights.

It’s refreshing to see the evolution. But the amount of time needed to churn 80% of the roster should not be like 2 years, and that’s what it feels like he’s actually accomplished.

By the start of 2022-23, we might have the youngest roster in the league…and that could be the most exciting fact of all

Reactions: Larkin2AA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad