The Legacy of Steve Yzerman

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
It’s refreshing to see the evolution. But the amount of time needed to churn 80% of the roster should not be like 2 years, and that’s what it feels like he’s actually accomplished.

By the start of 2022-23, we might have the youngest roster in the league…and that could be the most exciting fact of all

When you are building a team almost from the ground up with a strategic and coherent plan yes it does take that long. If you are just signing other team's trash to 5 year deals and veterans playing their last year of hockey so you can "get in and anything can happen" then yes that can be done in a shorter time frame.

Reactions: TKB

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Sounds like it was Jeff Marek and Elliotte Friedman. I assume on their podcast or on the radio.
Skeptical of listening to someone with <2k followers, but if they are just relaying info from other sources I suppose that’s fine.

jaster

Might be back on probation.
Jun 8, 2007
This new forum has messed up all my colors! This is an outrage!

EDIT: Ehhh, just as well I guess. I see the OP doesn't show up well with the dark UI. I'll see if I can't clean it up with the new colors so that it displays on both UIs.

Last edited:
Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

jaster

Might be back on probation.
Jun 8, 2007
I updated the font colors and standardized everything. Tried to split the difference so that it all shows up at least fairly well on both the light and dark UIs (I use dark because I value my damn eyes, you savages).

Let the legacy continue......

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I updated the font colors and standardized everything. Tried to split the difference so that it all shows up at least fairly well on both the light and dark UIs (I use dark because I value my damn eyes, you savages).
Let the legacy continue......

I think it would be interesting to add 3 things to add.

1. Total DRW salary/cap space at the start of the season.
2. Names of potential free agents Detroit could have gone after
3. the team's standings points, where they finished overall, GF and GA for the team

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Earlier today (prior to noon UFA deadline) I activated Yzerstealth mode, then this happened:

1657742515196.png

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Put this day on your calendar guys.

On July 13th, Stephen Gregory Yzerman ended Red Wings rebuild.

6 years of misery, 1 at Joe Louis Arena, 5 years at LCA.

It ended today.

Let's enjoy the future journey back to the top of NHL.

It started today.

We will make a hard playoff push at next season. For sure.

Boston, be aware. We are young, you are old. :teach2:

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Stevie will probably be the GM equivalent of Blashill. He'll just kind of hang around for another decade when he really should be fired.....like now.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
I will remind all the fire Yzerman crowd, Steve has been through this with this fan base before and turns out being patient provided ultimate rewards.

Besides, since he came back he has had the team on an upward trajectory and still does.

He does not deserve to be fired for two bad weeks of a season.

Look at Harbaugh at Michigan, at one point people were saying to hire him? Who would of Michigan gotten that was any better? Patience paid off.

Conversely, who would you really want running this thing other than Yzerman? I don't think there is a better candidate out there.

Reactions: dgk0047

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I will remind all the fire Yzerman crowd, Steve has been through this with this fan base before and turns out being patient provided ultimate rewards.

Besides, since he came back he has had the team on an upward trajectory and still does.

He does not deserve to be fired for two bad weeks of a season.

Look at Harbaugh at Michigan, at one point people were saying to hire him? Who would of Michigan gotten that was any better? Patience paid off.

Conversely, who would you really want running this thing other than Yzerman? I don't think there is a better candidate out there.
Right!

Now...what are Yzerman's options for cheating? Seems like fewer options as a hockey GM

dgk0047

Mar 13, 2024
Stevie Y has done well for the team and has not disappointed in my opinion. He has a plan and has stuck to it. We still need work to get us to the cup but he is getting us closer and closer.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Yzerman has taken the right course for the rebuild which is the long game through the draft and the odd gamble in the trade market and UFA from time to time. Sorry if you are not liking the right way to have handled the situation. There were not any shortcuts that could have fixed this and I am glad we had someone that had the fortitude to make a long term game plan and stick to it, or we would just be rinsing and repeating. The team's talent has improved every year he has been GM, I don't get it.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I still believe in the Yzerplan even though he has definitely made a few moves I dislike. I think the big disconnect is that people think Yzerman is building to compete soon in the Larkin period when he really isn't.

He is trying to make a team that doesn't have a total loser mentality so that when we have the foundation to compete, we don't lose half those years looking like the pre-McDavid Oilers. I do think the goal is at least playoffs starting next season but we are likely looking at being 1st maybe 2nd round fodder for the next 3 years.

We aren't probably going to be competing for a cup until DBC is gone, Larkin has settled into a 2nd line role and Seider/Ed/ASP/Kasper/Danielson/Buch/Ray etc are leading this team. That's probably another 3 years. If all of those guys develop ahead of schedule maybe we can get there sooner, but this is a team that if it is successful is going to be built around the back end. Successful defensive teams tend to be a bit older.

People will point to the DBC and Kane signings as trying to move out of the rebuild but they weren't. It just was the end of the straight tanking period. The Wings even without those guys probably aren't finishing bottom 5, so there is no point in a tank. If you fall in that middle ground you mise well try for the playoffs because picking 12 or 15th isn't a huge difference most years. And if you've moved into that period you mise well employ a semi entertaining team so that fans have something to watch. Its ultimately still about making money. Kane and DBC sell tickets.

We won't know Yzerman's legacy until we see if he can build a competitive core with and around Seider, Ray, Ed, Kasper, Cossa, Danielson, and ASP. Half those guys aren't in the NHL this year and many won't be for at least 2 more years.

Holland killed the Wings with his 2010-2008 drafts. It's basically Larkin, Hronek, and Bert in 9 drafts; everyone else has been very underwhelming if they even made the NHL. There is still a chance for Ras and Berggy but that is brutal. Maybe Vegas can salvage Mantha.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->