Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Do you use E-Verify?
Yes. We use a vendor to handle out I-9's from start to finish but we still have to meet with the new hire to verify the documents.

The main issue I'm dealing with now is that we switched vendors so I have to clean up what is in the legacy system.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
9 years married today. Steaks, au gratin potatoes and green beans on the menu at home tonight; next year, Barbados for #10.

Unsolicited advice: marry someone you enjoy hanging out with that values the same things as you do. The rest is gravy.
Just not with the steaks

• Haha
Reactions: NeelyDan and caz16

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Yup and now we are re-verifying them.

Ugh. Thankfully we were able to do ours in person.

I like the new form that is only one page.
Can I ask you both if you run into the rehire situation much? I just went through the I9 reverification after going back to the consulting company I was at until March, and even though my I9 was less than 3 year old and my documents hadn't expired, I had to jump through all the hoops of fully verifying instead of them just reverifying my docs and dating section 3. Am I unreasonable in thinking that requiring a new full I9 verification instead just doing the reverify process was an unnecessary set of hoops to make the rehired employee jump through?

It doesn't help that the website used by their vendor (I9Advantage) absolutely blows. It appears to ask you to upload your documents but won't accept them, and gives zero indication that the authorized agent is the one who uploads the documents. You have to find that out through trial and error, which in the case of rehires, is not a good experience.

So I'm wondering if this is pretty common, or just my company who does that for rehires.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Can I ask you both if you run into the rehire situation much? I just went through the I9 reverification after going back to the consulting company I was at until March, and even though my I9 was less than 3 year old and my documents hadn't expired, I had to jump through all the hoops of fully verifying instead of them just reverifying my docs and dating section 3. Am I unreasonable in thinking that requiring a new full I9 verification instead just doing the reverify process was an unnecessary set of hoops to make the rehired employee jump through?

It doesn't help that the website used by their vendor (I9Advantage) absolutely blows. It appears to ask you to upload your documents but won't accept them, and gives zero indication that the authorized agent is the one who uploads the documents. You have to find that out through trial and error, which in the case of rehires, is not a good experience.

So I'm wondering if this is pretty common, or just my company who does that for rehires.
I agree, requiring a whole new I-9 is unnecessary in that case.

I saw a youtube video recently where a lady worked for three weeks as a housekeeper at a hotel and said she wasn't paid and pitched a fit. HR claimed she never filed out any paperwork including the I-9. Well, people, after day three with no I-9 identification, why did you continue to let her work? Guessing there's often some money paid under the table there :skeptic:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

I-9 Advantage is the bane of my existance right now. It is the worst product in the world. I just had to switch browsers to do what I need to do.

My understanding is that if you are hired within a year you don't need a new I-9 but if you are gone longer than you need a new I-9. That said, they should just be able to use section 3 instead of making you do a new I-9 as long as nothing has changed.

I have made people do new I-9's rather than use section 3 if their documents are different or if they've changed their name, address or if their original one was terminated or purged.

The whole thing is an absolute racket and you'd think that this whole process would be more streamlined and less clunky.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Thank you both. I gave them my feedback, but I'm guessing they won't give it any consideration. They said it was "their policy" to do a new I9 in every case, which is just dumb, IMO. It's more work for everyone involved.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Doing a work type event today that is across the valley. my back hurts, my head hurts and I'm tired. But...I've worked with my own trauma enough to know that my body is just throwing up resistance for stepping into this larger community of trauma support professionals. Sometimes we want good change and because our system sees it as "unsafe", we back off.

My nervous system doesn't like the new expansion because it feels like risk.
Silver shoes on...I'm going.
So I made through Scottsdale traffic to my event. It took them 5 years to get this program written, housed and financed. It will be an educational/healing program for trauma survivors and s*xual assault survivors. (there are no programs in AZ that are not law enforcement-based.) I will be one of a few people teaching post program enrichment workshops; about creating a supportive/safe living space from a energy perspective.

The Mayor of Phoenix is there in red and the mayor of Scottsdale in the suit and my coach/colleague in blue.
The other woman at the mic is a survivor/journalist-war correspondent. She couldn't have been more lovely.
I met some incredible people in the short time I was there today.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 4

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
When they say close to campus, it is on the far side of the parking lot for the athletic center/arena.

I had class in the athletic center and I worked out there and our graduation was held there. We had to drive by the street to go into downtown Salem or to Dunkies or Bagel World.

I am so happy they arrested a suspect in this senseless murder. Salem State always felt safe. It felt like you were in a bubble walking to main campus from Central where the new dorm was (when I went there) and this has shattered that.

Salem State will always be home to me and I’m heartbroken that this generation of students now has to deal with the tragic death of a classmate and no longer feel safe.

Rest in Peace Carl

• Wow
Reactions: Ladyfan

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Took 1 of my CBD mints because I was stressed. Got dizzy after it set in. Like I felt my body was moving sideways.

That's never happened to me before with these. Now I'm hesitant to ever take one again. Only 5mg too. I should of just taken another one of my anxiety meds but I wanted to try a natural way.

The feeling is over now. I'm starting to feel better, but that feeling was awful. I hate it.

Never again!

Reactions: BMC and caz16

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Good news, my DIL worked from home yesterday and was exhausted and a bit foggy but got through the day. Still strong positive result for covid though so they are still isolated in the house - my daughter hasn't got it so far. DIL has had 4 vaccines and new data came out that the chances of long covid drop dramatically after 3 (they haven't got data for how much more after the 3rd). Hopefully she will recover fully - she is a software engineer and needs the fogginess to go!

Also positive news, the boy hit outside their house is in serious but non-life threatening condition, and they didn't say life-altering which is hopeful.

In other news, I haven't bought any discounted Halloween chocolate! OK, it's because I didn't get the car back in time.....lol I highly doubt there is anything left today. Gone are the days when I loaded a shopping cart up twice - stores seem to have cut back in stock since covid and have a lot less of the leftovers. Now the Christmas chocolate comes, a big big distraction for me.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Good news, my DIL worked from home yesterday and was exhausted and a bit foggy but got through the day. Still strong positive result for covid though so they are still isolated in the house - my daughter hasn't got it so far. DIL has had 4 vaccines and new data came out that the chances of long covid drop dramatically after 3 (they haven't got data for how much more after the 3rd). Hopefully she will recover fully - she is a software engineer and needs the fogginess to go!

Also positive news, the boy hit outside their house is in serious but non-life threatening condition, and they didn't say life-altering which is hopeful.

In other news, I haven't bought any discounted Halloween chocolate! OK, it's because I didn't get the car back in time.....lol I highly doubt there is anything left today. Gone are the days when I loaded a shopping cart up twice - stores seem to have cut back in stock since covid and have a lot less of the leftovers. Now the Christmas chocolate comes, a big big distraction for me.
I am so glad your DIL is on the mend and I hope the fogginess goes away soon. My brother in law is sick and is going to the doctor today. The baby has suddenly become a germ monster since going to daycare. My mom is finally better and my sister is good now. The baby goes for her checkup today so fingers crossed. She's a chill baby but she's going to be a mess if she has to get shots.

That is great news about the boy who was hit outside of their house. Sending good vibes for a speedy recovery.

I managed to avoid the candy aisle myself when I ran a quick errand yesterday. If I wasn't so swamped today I would probably make cookie dough at lunch to bake after work but that isn't happening. It has been cheaper for me to bake cookies from scratch than buy a pack.

I need to go inhale some cereal before my 8am meeting. I just need to get through today and Monday and my schedule lightens up.

Reactions: BMC and caz16

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
To follow up on the "marry someone you enjoy hanging out with advice"...

We both had shitty days at work and longer days that anticipated. Whole Foods didn't have what I wanted to make for dinner in the meat case when I finally got there.

So our nice dinner at home turned into meeting for beers and getting takeout from Outback which we ate on the couch in sweatpants, and it was perfection.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I love James. I have seen him quite a few times and he and his band are always wonderful.

I saw him a couple of years ago at Tanglewood (my sis lives in Western MA). When they took a break, he said he didn't really need a break, but it was required. He sat on the edge of the stage and talked to folks and signed a few things.

He always tries to help heal folks.

He and Art Garfunkel did this in memory of 9/11.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
And the ice scraper makes its seasonal debut! Along with it, frozen door handles/locks, and low tire pressure warnings. It’s the most…wonderful tiiiiiime…of the yearrrrrrrrrrrrr
I got my low tire pressure warning a week or two ago lol.

Currently the heater/defroster in my car does not actually blow heat/ warm air. Which makes defrosting the front windshield a royal pain. I'm actively shopping for a new car. I actually made a list and came up with 13 things that are wrong with my poor little Saturn. Time to throw in the towel.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
To follow up on the "marry someone you enjoy hanging out with advice"...

We both had shitty days at work and longer days that anticipated. Whole Foods didn't have what I wanted to make for dinner in the meat case when I finally got there.

So our nice dinner at home turned into meeting for beers and getting takeout from Outback which we ate on the couch in sweatpants, and it was perfection.
Ours is usually Salvadoran delivery. Literally the best nights.

• Love
Reactions: Glove Malfunction

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
i used my credit card.lol
Hey whatever works! In high school I used to have to warm up my door key (separate from the ignition key of course) with my breath before trying to unlock the car. I bent the key a few times trying to twist it in frozen locks.
I got my low tire pressure warning a week or two ago lol.

Currently the heater/defroster in my car does not actually blow heat/ warm air. Which makes defrosting the front windshield a royal pain. I'm actively shopping for a new car. I actually made a list and came up with 13 things that are wrong with my poor little Saturn. Time to throw in the towel.
You're 1 of like...3 people still ripping around in a Saturn though. Instead street cred for you. We love hf family car shopping here in the OT thread though. Keep us posted!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
My remote start worked without any issues so at least i know my car can handle these crazy temperature swings,

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad