The League-Wide Mock Draft - Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Agree.. he missing that the goal is to win this yr.

His forwards would get wrecked by yours... goalies are a wash, and his D selections superior.

Different priorities...

Do my team next!

LOL okay. Let me take a look.

I would take:

Steven Stamkos
Jack Eichel
Tuukka Rask
Jordan Eberle
Cam Fowler

or

- Stamkos (7.5M, 25) - Eberle (6M, 25)
- Eichel (3.775M, 18)

Fowler (4M, 23)

Rask (7, 28)

so a team salary of $28.275M, and an average age of 23.8 years.

compared to:

Erik Karlsson
Pavel Datsyuk
John Klingberg
Evander Kane
Tyler Toffoli

or

Kane (5.25M, 23) - Datsyuk (7.5M, 36) - Toffoli (3.25M, 23)

- Erik Karlsson (6.5M, 25)
- John Klingberg (4.25M, 22)

Team salary: $26.75M, average age: 25.8 years.

Last edited:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
True.

I would take age into consideration but that's just my own train of thought. Everyone has their own different strategies.

You can tell I'm regretting not signing up for this lol.
I took age as a consideration too. Just because that's how I think
A team full of vets isn't exciting.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
True.

I would take age into consideration but that's just my own train of thought. Everyone has their own different strategies.

You can tell I'm regretting not signing up for this lol.

I feel y2k might like some
Of my pieces

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Also despite only drafting to for next year when we vote I will take into consideration age.

As in older players on the decline and younger players on the rise.

Age is a factor regardless if it's for one year or not

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Also despite only drafting to for next year when we vote I will take into consideration age.

This applies for a lot of cases but it has to be - young player that you think will be better this upcoming season vs - older player that had a good 14-15 but will slow down in 15-16

This is why having a before and after poll is the best idea. After the season we'll see if the young stars we banked on flourished and the older guys decline. And then there's guys in their prime right now who are safe.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
This applies for a lot of cases but it has to be - young player that you think will be better this upcoming season vs - older player that had a good 14-15 but will slow down in 15-16

For sure for example on my team I think both Forsberg/Strome build on this year while the rest probably stay the same.

I won't single out any off the older players I think will decline as not to influence voting. But some have definitley been taken.

I also will be taking into consideration how players have performed in playoffs previously (since that is the point)

I feel some people will just sorta of go that team has the guys who scored the most points or the most "name players" and vote for them without considering a lot of things.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
^^^^ what if your younger player regress or have an off year same can be put both ways if the players hasn't shown decline then I don't really take it into a consideration

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
For sure for example on my team I think both Forsberg/Strome build on this year while the rest probably stay the same.

I won't single out any off the older players I think will decline as not to influence voting. But some have definitley been taken.

I also will be taking into consideration how players have performed in playoffs previously (since that is the point)

I feel some people will just sorta of go that team has the guys who scored the most points or the most "name players" and vote for them without considering a lot of things.

I can think of a team that is definitely going this route as all his picks have been it

To be fair to him he selected them at the right spot

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
^^^^ what if your younger player regress or have an off year same can be put both ways if the players hasn't shown decline then I don't really take it into a consideration

Some young players that have been selected might have overachieved. I'll just use my own example, Huberdeau was taken in the late 4th round mostly because of the cap hit. If he regresses (I'm putting that at a chance of 5%) Florida has much bigger issues as non of their guys overachieved last season and he was their best forward. In the first season he won a Calder and scored at a high rate. His 2nd season was abysmal. His 3rd season he started off slow but found his game. If he regresses in the 4th well well Florida has a ****** core lol

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008

No I agree I'm not just got to decide the sedins are going to fall of a cliff (I don't think they will) but if you an older player and have been decling slightly over the past couple years I'm going to ding you. Not huge amounts I'm not trying to predict cliffs just progression both good or bad.

Also why I suggested voting when we are done and after next season to see what happened with the teams

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
No I agree I'm not just got to decide the sedins are going to fall of a cliff (I don't think they will) but if you an older player and have been decling slightly over the past couple years I'm going to ding you. Not huge amounts I'm not trying to predict cliffs just progression both good or bad.

Also why I suggested voting when we are done and after next season to see what happened with the teams

I don't know about anyone else but my drafting strategy would be entirely different if I were predicting for a vote at the end of next season instead of a vote shortly before/after the start of the season.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I took age as a consideration too. Just because that's how I think
A team full of vets isn't exciting.

I like your team.

I can see why you took Ekblad when you did, and that's not a bad pick. I am a huge MacKinnon fan. The idea of having Monahan and MacKinnon on the same team would be too tempting for me to pass up, but I can't honestly say that I would have gone Monahan and then MacKinnon (as I wouldn't have expected MacKinnon to fall to where he did).

So if I'm going to be honest about it, I would have gone with:

Nathan MacKinnon
Taylor Hall
Jordan Eberle
Seth Jones
Frederik Andersen

and I won't say who I would have gone with your Couturier pick because I don't want to throw out a name that someone may be waiting on (and hoping falls).

Either way though, I do like your team.

I feel y2k might like some
Of my pieces

Not bad. I likely would have gone: MacKinnon, Weber, Parise, Eberle, Andersen.

Would have been fun if you were apart of this. Nevertheless it's good to have you in here!

Heh, glad you guys don't mind an outsider sharing his opinion. I feel a lot better discussing this than I do the actual Canucks.

Heh.. i was kinda jokin.

But hey.. it's summer and there's nothin going except discussions on racists, rapists, and how wanting to see how things play out is not a valid stance to have...have at her..

Meh, I'm bored LOL.

I edited my post above. You can see I think highly of Rask.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I don't know about anyone else but my drafting strategy would be entirely different if I were predicting for a vote at the end of next season instead of a vote shortly before/after the start of the season.

Doing both makes the most sense. At the end of the 15-16 season we'll see which players really declined or really risen up - that may or actually may not chance much things.

And doing it before allows us to make predictions.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I've sent some detailed trade offers out. I'm open to posting them here just to be transparent and allow for judgement. But then it's a two-way street so I'd need the others permission

They are fair as hell in value especially compared to the big 3 traders (ahmon, nameless, vanilla)

I await to see your fair trade.
:popcorn:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Well that seeing that alternative makes me feel a lot better about my team tho. . Thanks y2k...
;)

It's not a bad team, but I value different players.

I guess you could say, my main core would involve a top C, a second high value C, a top D, and a top G. I couldn't get the top D with your draft spots, but I like the game Fowler plays and his ability to move the puck up to those forwards. I also see Rask as a top 5 goalie in the NHL and he's a guy who can make up for the lack of defense from that core.

Your opinion is highly valued.
I wish you were here too.

I ****ed up :(

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
You don't want me to put my trade offers out there in comparison to your completed trades or that brutal counter offer you sent me ;)

Go ahead.
I regret nothing.
:laugh:

Seriously though...
If you think our offers are unfair...
Just move on.
Nobody can or will force you to take it.
It take two to tango...
After all.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

This never really works as a blanket statement. Eventually old players will always decline yes, but young players don't always eventually rise. Also the age range for a sudden decline is usually 35+, and there actually hasn't been a lot of players in that age group selected.

For a long term league it's an entirely different story, but for next year there's no way you anyone should take Jack Eichel over Henrik Sedin. If you pick a young guy early it should typically be for the lower cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad