Speculation: The Leafs Plan

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
With this signing, Leafs can realistically only sign one of Bernier or Kadri next summer.

My bet is Nonis will try and sign Bernier, he has tied this team up so much with immovable contracts, it is the reality. Kadri is gone.

He will not move his only 2 under market value contracts, JVR and Bozak. These 2 are his only bargains on this team, and this is exactly what the Leafs need more of. Value contracts signed to a great number.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
With this signing, Leafs can realistically only sign one of Bernier or Kadri next summer.

My bet is Nonis will try and sign Bernier, he has tied this team up so much with immovable contracts, it is the reality. Kadri is gone.

He will not move his only 2 under market value contracts, JVR and Bozak. These 2 are his only bargains on this team, and this is exactly what the Leafs need more of. Value contracts signed to a great number.

How do you think Philly got JvR signed to such a bargain contract?

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON

I don't understand this.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't understand this.

Bernier and Kadri would be roughly 10M to sign.

We have 9 players signed to long term contracts 3 or more years on the roster.

How many long term contracts can a team ice with 10M more million coming on?

Subtracting Santorelli type contracts are minsicule, you will need atleast 800K to sign another player in his place.

Where's the money with so many immovable contracts?

Are we really going to move our 2 best contracts JVR and Bozak? Bargains that make this cap atleast reasonable.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Bernier and Kadri would be roughly 10M to sign.

We have 9 players signed to long term contracts 3 or more years on the roster.

How many long term contracts can a team ice with 10M more million coming on?

Subtracting Santorelli type contracts are minsicule, you will need atleast 800K to sign another player in his place.

Where's the money with so many immovable contracts?

Are we really going to move our 2 best contracts JVR and Bozak? Bargains that make this cap atleast reasonable.

1. The Cap will go up.
2. Franson will not likely be back
3. Lupul is tradeable and could be replaced by Nylander on a Cap friendlier deal.
4. Polak and or Robidas could be traded if the plethora of D prospects pushes them out
5. We are talking about a raise of $5 million... probably what the cap is going up, or close to it next year... we'll be fine.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I don't understand this.

There is no logic to it, and some posters like to be dramatic. The cap for next year is yet to be determined, we don't know how these two players will perform, and there will likely be trades. Pay him no mind; the sky is not falling.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
1. The Cap will go up.
3. Lupul is tradeable and could be replaced by Nylander on a Cap friendlier deal.
4. Polak and or Robidas could be traded if the plethora of D prospects pushes them out
5. We are talking about a raise of $5 million... probably what the cap is going up, or close to it next year... we'll be fine.

5M only, and Lupul is not as movable as you believe. Knowing Nonis, he will take back salary.

Cap didn't go up as much as we thought this year, so you simply do not know.

You said it yourself. 5M only, who are you letting go Bernier or Kadri? You can only have one.

Like it or not, we have some number crunching to do moving fwd.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
1. The Cap will go up.

Add in that Reimer could also be somewhere else.

The team is setting themselves up well to have cap space next season for both Kadri + Bernier with all of these 1 year deals instead of handing out long term cap handcuffing deals like we did with Clarkson.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Add in that Reimer could also be somewhere else.

The team is setting themselves up well to have cap space next season for both Kadri + Bernier with all of these 1 year deals instead of handing out long term cap handcuffing deals like we did with Clarkson.

The best thing about this off-season for sure is that no big signings = no big mistakes. Doesn't sounds like much (and it isn't) but after last season I'll take it.

I still feel a cold shiver down my back when I think about what we supposedly offered Bolland, so lucky he decided to got o FLA instead.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
The best thing about this off-season for sure is that no big signings = no big mistakes. Doesn't sounds like much (and it isn't) but after last season I'll take it.

I still feel a cold shiver down my back when I think about what we supposedly offered Bolland, so lucky he decided to got o FLA instead.

Maybe that was his way of showing how much he likes this organization, not wanting to handicap them for the future :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad