Speculation: The Leafs Plan

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Komarov and Robidas don't feel needs? They fill big needs of players who have balls!

Kontiola is more than depth. He is a wildcard. From what I have, he could have a big impact. He is supposedly better than the guy the Blues signed, and he apparently is penciled in on the Blues top 6 or something

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Lightning fan coming in boredom.

Robidas, Komarov, Kontiola ... yes you should do this every year! Two players that don't address your needs signed to medium length contracts and not on the cheap at $3 Million cap hit each - lol. Kontiola is a depth signing from the KHL ... sucks not to have a NHL ready prospect and you have to waste an NHL roster spot with a fringe NHL player.

Leafs plan: suck and get a chance at McDavid AND try to sign Stamkos in two years. You'll fail on both accounts.

Ya know, I would love to point to the Callahan contract, but we signed Clarkson just last summer so I can't.

jughead42*

Why should our plan be to have our players perform well and ship them off at the deadline? Sounds like some EA fanboy fantasy GM strategy to me, rather than an actual strategy that a team would use. I'm pretty sure if we have players that are performing well they will be kept, and players that are performing poorly will be let go. If we get assets so be it, however the goal of the team is to get better. We aren't going to be doing that if we trade away the players who perform well for us. As much fun as it would be to trade a handful of mediocre crap for a fistful of picks, I'm pretty sure actual NHL GM's are a little more discerning when it comes to giving up quality draft picks than the fantasy GM's in your EA hockey games. Like I say, nice strategy for video game hockey, but that's not what we're doing here.

nonikhanna

Feb 9, 2011
Maple Tree
Why should our plan be to have our players perform well and ship them off at the deadline? Sounds like some EA fanboy fantasy GM strategy to me, rather than an actual strategy that a team would use. I'm pretty sure if we have players that are performing well they will be kept, and players that are performing poorly will be let go. If we get assets so be it, however the goal of the team is to get better. We aren't going to be doing that if we trade away the players who perform well for us. As much fun as it would be to trade a handful of mediocre crap for a fistful of picks, I'm pretty sure actual NHL GM's are a little more discerning when it comes to giving up quality draft picks than the fantasy GM's in your EA hockey games. Like I say, nice strategy for video game hockey, but that's not what we're doing here.

My point was that we are in a transition year. We have a bunch of assets that are overloading our roster. Obviously if we are in place to make the playoffs, we will keep the best ones. But that doesn't mean we stop listening for offers. If they can be replaced in a few years then go for it.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I think our REAL plan was to load up on guys from the much better western conference.

Polak, Robidas, Santorelli, Booth, Winnik all played in the west last year, and Komarov and Kontiola at least did not play(or learn any bad habits) in the weak east last year.

Seems like an alright plan to me.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What we did this summer, we should have done years ago starting from 2008. signing cheap free agents. Montreal did that and they went to conference finals. But Toronto as the center of hockey universe must look smart, and make a big splash. and it always backfires.

Free agency is where you get players in the primes of their careers about to decline or already declining. and they are looking for a long contract from whoever gives it. and the winner ends up paying a lot for an already declining player. example Bolland, Clarkson, Brad Richards(a few years ago). Toronto won the free agency in a big way this year. I hope we do this every year when needed.

The Leafs have gone for cheap free agents every year with mixed results...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Seems like the Shanahan plan upon completing his evaluation was to distance himself as far as possible from the past failing 6 year rebuild plan by bringing in 1/2 a new team and removing lots of old management as well and replacing them.

I think we will see more management added before the season starts as well to help steer this in a new direction. Forced into replacing nearly all the bottom 6 externally instead of the desired internally through the draft process suggests that scouting will be next on his hit list for an overhaul also with them coming up empty it appears.

By bringing in a bunch of 28-37 year old players to help most on short term rental contracts it looks like the memo Shanahan sent out to Nonis and Carlyle is last chance playoffs or bust as their replacements are already on staff now with the new hires.

Last edited:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
The Leafs have gone for cheap free agents every year with mixed results...

Well with the poor drafting we displayed between 2003-2008, it's all we can do. There's simply not much to draw from yet, internally. Some of the kids we drafted after 2008 are getting closer, but that doesn't help us right now, this summer.

Between 2003-2008(six drafts), we only made THREE 1st round selections and THREE 2nd rounders.

In the last 6 drafts, we've made SIX 1st round selections and FOUR 2nd's.

That will pay off soon, and we won't need to go out and sign all these guys to hold the fort down.

Bigblue

Sep 20, 2009
Well with the poor drafting we displayed between 2003-2008, it's all we can do. There's simply not much to draw from yet, internally. Some of the kids we drafted after 2008 are getting closer, but that doesn't help us right now, this summer.

Between 2003-2008(six drafts), we only made THREE 1st round selections and THREE 2nd rounders.

In the last 6 drafts, we've made SIX 1st round selections and FOUR 2nd's.

That will pay off soon, and we won't need to go out and sign all these guys to hold the fort down.

These signings are strategic and methodical and that is new to Leafland. Watching this team last year was tough. People out of position, system that was absurd and outdated. Players not given a chance to succeed. They have gone after hungry players with size, speed and specific skills. That most came from the West is a bonus. They had heavy travel schedules and heavy duty schedules against tough teams. They have added players who can play centre or wing. learning from last years injury riddled centre ice meltdown. They have added balance on right and left shots on "D". They have added competition for jobs. They also stayed away from high priced players on long term deals. They had a great draft and they have a change in philosophy as it relates to the bottom six. This team will be running four lines and not wearing the stars out night after night. I like the direction. Dubas will help with the culture change and Spott and Horachek will challenge Carlyle and speak their minds.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Seems like the Shanahan plan upon completing his evaluation was to distance himself as far as possible from the past failing 6 year rebuild plan by bringing in 1/2 a new team and removing lots of old management as well and replacing them.

I think we will see more management added before the season starts as well to help steer this in a new direction. Forced into replacing nearly all the bottom 6 externally instead of the desired internally through the draft process suggests that scouting will be next on his hit list for an overhaul also with them coming up empty it appears.

By bringing in a bunch of 28-37 year old players to help most on short term rental contracts it looks like the memo Shanahan sent out to Nonis and Carlyle is last chance playoffs or bust as their replacements are already on staff now with the new hires.

I couldn't agree more. I believe there will be a major overhaul there. We should be sitting on many more quality prospects then we are.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Leafs have signed more UFAs then any other NHL team trying to rebuild their team externally.

This makes a statement as to what the plan is, and speaks to the current state of the Leafs organization.

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
The Leafs have signed more UFAs then any other NHL team trying to rebuild their team externally.

This makes a statement as to what the plan is, and speaks to the current state of the Leafs organization.

With the non playoff drought this team has had we should be ripe with prospects. Nothing jumps out more than Burke sending two higher pics to get Biggs. Both those other players are NHL ready players and one is a promising future franchise goaler. We have a player that still needs much seasoning in the AHL. Just for that move alone this scouting staff should be overhauled.

Durkin67

This leafs team right now is a transition team. Most of the players signed are cheap and will probably be moved at trade deadline so the young ones can come and play some minutes in the NHL. Next season is the key one. plus moving the players gets us probably good draft picks in a VERY deep draft.

This looks like to be the plan for this year, only thing is that this team does look good enough to be 3rd in our division fighting it out with Montreal. first two being Boston and Tampa. I guess the plan is to see how it turns out with all these new guys. evaluate them and flip over replaceable guys in our system for picks.

Now which one of these are actually replaceable?
Holland-Gauthier?
kadri-Nylander?
gardiner-percy?
Franson-Finn?
santorelli/booth/kontiola-frattin, lievo, ashton, brown, verhaeghe

that isn't to say, some of those prospects might be moved too.

These players (booth and winnick especially) are likely the recommandations of new guy Kyle Dubas, based on their possession metrics.
They weren't signed to be flipped. They were signed to address the need for improved offensive zone time as a club. Komo is a great forechecker who draws penalties, and Santorelli is a responsible bottom six piece. I think there may be one job open for an AHL guy and that's Devane.

The other outstanding issue they need to address is their lacklustre second line. A trade for E. Kane would be great, provided he comes to play and parks the (alleged) attitude issues.

Still need a 2 C however. Ideally That's Kadri but any deal for Kane costs Naz plus. Nylander won't be ready. Holland might, but doubtful.

Not sure where this leaves Lupul and or Clarkson.

I predict more of the same. Lots of verbiage and long arsed explanations and little results.

I don't see Gauthier, Leivo, or Willie Nylander getting a legit shot this year.

This getting old thing is making me cynical I guess.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With the non playoff drought this team has had we should be ripe with prospects. Nothing jumps out more than Burke sending two higher pics to get Biggs. Both those other players are NHL ready players and one is a promising future franchise goaler. We have a player that still needs much seasoning in the AHL. Just for that move alone this scouting staff should be overhauled.

Exactly..

Leafs weak prospect pool is inexcusably weak (29th ranked Hockey News) for a team that has been finishing in the bottom 10 overall in 6 of the last 7 years dating back to 2008 draft & should be overflowing with potential NHLers by this point of the rebuild.

The only time a team needs to go UFA shopping for spare parts and depth players is if their own internal feeder system is not providing those cheap contracts and similar talent. Building through the draft suggests filling holes from drafted and developed players internally.

You have to believe these moves appear like acts of desperation to win now bringing in 28-30 year old vets on short-term deals. Forced to bring in a bunch of reclamation projects at < $1.5 mil reflects on the prospect system, and cap management more than anything else.

Shanahan is a smart guy and I'm sure recognizes this and "the plan" going forward will be to fix the areas of weakness.. Management including the capologist (Loiselle) have already been fired as has the GM of the Marlies (Poulin) player development. Scouting in next on the hit list.

PS. Even the young players Holland, Ashton etc that are considered semi-ready were also acquired via trade and not self drafted and another strike against Morrison and his scouting team.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Exactly..

Leafs weak prospect pool for a team that has been finishing in the bottom 10 overall in 6 of the last 7 years dating back to 2008 draft should be overflowing with potential NHLers by this point of the rebuild.

The only time a team needs to go UFA shopping for spare parts and depth players is if their own internal feeder system is not providing those cheap contracts and similar talent.

You have to believe these moves appear like acts of desperation to win now bringing in 28-30 year old vets on short-term deals. Forced to bring in a bunch of reclamation projects at < $1.5 mil reflects on the prospect system, and cap management more than anything else.

Shanahan is a smart guy and I'm sure recognizes this and "the plan" going forward will be to fix the areas of weakness.. Management including the capologist (Loiselle) have already been fired as has the GM of the Marlies (Poulin) player development. Scouting in next on the git list.

PS. Even the young players Holland, Ashton etc that are considered semi-ready were also acquired via trade and not self drafted and another strike against Morrison and his scouting team.

Morrison and Co. haven't had much to work with in terms of picks compared to most organizations. It'd be hard for any scouting staff to excel with what they've been given.

Scouting also extends beyond just the draft. Acquiring guys like Gardiner, Ashton, Holland via trade is part of Morrison and Co. job description.

Guys who will be bottom half of the lineup players generally don't start making the NHL till 23 years of age or later because they need more time in the minors.

We are starting to produce that next wave of potential depth players like Leivo, Carrick, Granberg*, Broll, Percy, Finn, Brown (all picked between 10-12 draft) but the best thing for them is to be playing lots of minutes this season with the Marlies to continue developing and given the odd call up chance. This also helps cap control them on future contracts instead of seeing them post numbers on a bad team.

Signing guys to 1 year deals ensures our prospects are kept down on the farm where they should be. Signing vets also allows us the option to have extra trade assets to bring in extra assets to build up our organizational depth.

If a youngster is ready we can always easily deal a vet like we did with Fraser, Brown, Steckel in recent seasons.

*Granberg might be the exception as he could be NHL ready come camp.

Pholus

May 23, 2014

Well, Shanahan has already said that he is looking to hire at least one more guy, seeing as we don't currently have anyone as a capologist.

So the scouting staff should be fired for doing what their boss wants? I will agree that it was a bad move in hindsight (and at the time it didn't seem all that great), but there is no guarantee that if the Leafs had kept those picks, they would have drafted those exact same players. For all we know, they could have kept the picks and drafted 2 guys who end up being worse than Biggs.

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Well, Shanahan has already said that he is looking to hire at least one more guy, seeing as we don't currently have anyone as a capologist.

So the scouting staff should be fired for doing what their boss wants? I will agree that it was a bad move in hindsight (and at the time it didn't seem all that great), but there is no guarantee that if the Leafs had kept those picks, they would have drafted those exact same players. For all we know, they could have kept the picks and drafted 2 guys who end up being worse than Biggs.

That is only a small portion of the reasons this team should overhaul it scouting dept. There are several others and we are all well aware. Other teams, lets just say the Ducks here, one of among several, who make a living drafting in the middle rounds. We unfortunately don't and I don't buy this team has not had enough opportunities because our record has shown we have pics near the top of every round.

I remember watching the NFL draft this year and just to pick one team out of many, let me say the Cowboys. I remember watching that and JJ always looking back at his scouts and asking what he should do there because he really wanted Manziel. They all shook their head and he went the safe pic. Problem is Burke never would listen to anyone else, many on here will claim his praises but I won't. I don't think he was all that great and his bark was bigger than his bite.

Shanny will get this right, guy has worked hard at everything and he will continue that here. If the 'brass' gives him the time I feel in 3-5 years we will be cup contenders. Shanny will make it happen and you will hardly ever hear from him.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Plan? is there a plan, it doesn't look like it looking at the glut of bottom six forwards and lack of d-men on that roster. On the surface I like the Winnik,Booth, Santorelli but do you need all of them. Combined with the acquisition of Kontiola, and reacquisition Frattin and Komarov they have a glut of bottom 6 guys. I get the need for depth but it is a commentary on the sorry state of the farm if all these signings are needed for depth. An injury or two on defence and they will be wishing the spent a little on depth D men.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
I couldn't agree more. I believe there will be a major overhaul there. We should be sitting on many more quality prospects then we are.

Agreed, but part of the problem is the trading away of draft picks, not so much the scouting. Seems like every trade we make, our management has to throw in a draft pick to sweeten the pot. Need to give the scouts the tools to work with by stockpiling picks.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Stammer in a Leaf jersey? That will be in the same year that Clarkie's contract is up. Leafs will sign Stammer for the next seven.

ummm no, clarkia has another 4 years when stammers turns ufa

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Agreed, but part of the problem is the trading away of draft picks, not so much the scouting. Seems like every trade we make, our management has to throw in a draft pick to sweeten the pot. Need to give the scouts the tools to work with by stockpiling picks.

frankly it's both.

lower amount of draft slots over how many years now? and piss poor drafting and development.

our overall miss use of the draft has been this organisations greatest Achilles heel for a very very very long time.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Call me crazy but I think the Leafs may do well this season with a whole new approach to the game. It'll be interesting to see how Carlyle stands after 10 games because I think management will be quick and decisive with their approach, ohterwise they'll have a lame-duck coach

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00