OT: The last time the Leafs were in the playoffs

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Last night when I moaned as the Leafs lost in the shoot out, my wife turned to me and said: "What do you expect? It's the Leafs." I explained to her that no, this year was different. We are actually doing well and there is a very good chance that we will be in the playoffs. It got me thinking and I realized that the last time the Leafs were in the post season, I hadn't even met my wife who I've been with for seven years. My now eleven year old dog had only just grown into his paws and my four year old daughter wasn't even in my wildest dreams. Of course this got me thinking about all that has happened since we last played in the playoffs.

We're on our third pope

The Liberals were still in power.

Bieber's balls hadn't yet dropped (Still questionable).

The Jays have played 1465 games (regular season)

Lindsay Lohan and Christina Aguilera were still hot

The Iraq war was only one year old.

Porter airlines, TFC and Honey boo boo did not exist.

Feel free to add.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Some movies that year:

Anchorman: Legend of Ron Burgandy
Mean Girls (Adding to the statement in OP that Lohan was still hot)
Dodgeball
Troy

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I was still in highschool.

Since - Went to college, graduated, got married, bought a house, now have a kid.

It's almost the exact same for me (no kid yet). It's pretty crazy to think about.

I wasn't allowed to drive a car by myself the last time the Leafs were in the playoffs. Now I have a wife and a mortgage.

For you, there is almost an entire generation gap in there. You lived with your parents last time, now you provide a home for a kid of your own.

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
i haven't watched a leafs game at that time...and i am 32 :)) my passion for nhl started after the 2008 draft and since that time i have watched at least 75% of leafs games although we are 7 hours ahead here in Romania..my owner always asks me why am i sleepy at work all the time :) i tell him the truth but always say to him that this goes from october since april :) now there's a chance we can play until end of may, maybe june..

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
It's almost the exact same for me (no kid yet). It's pretty crazy to think about.

I wasn't allowed to drive a car by myself the last time the Leafs were in the playoffs. Now I have a wife and a mortgage.

For you, there is almost an entire generation gap in there. You lived with your parents last time, now you provide a home for a kid of your own.

I think there's a lot of us just like this. We have to think of a name for our demographic.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Heres another one - MSN Messenger was the top form of instant communication via the internet

Apparently it just got canned a couple days ago.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
iPod's were just introduced

Also was in my last year of high school .. Since then I've graduated university, moved out west, been working in my career and have attained a professional designation in my field

And I hadn't met my best buddy who is also a die hard Leafs fan, we still haven't seen a playoff game together!

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
"What do you expect ? Its the Leafs"? **** that and people who talk like that. Bugs the hell out of me. Even when the Leafs were cup contenders each year people still talked like that

Anyways , last time the Leafs were in a playoffs I was finishing up grade 9 and about to turn 15 years old. Jeeze time flies

Bill_Crosby*

I was still in highschool.

Since - Went to college, graduated, got married, bought a house, now have a kid.

Pretty much this, getting married in 2 weeks, with the key differences being no kid and grad school instead of a mortgage.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I was finishing up grade 7. Now, I'll be graduating with a University Honours Degree...

Except I won't be watching the playoffs this year... :( :cry:

I'll be working on a Remote Island off the coast of Nova Scotia as a field biologist :S

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Some movies that year:

Anchorman: Legend of Ron Burgandy
Mean Girls (Adding to the statement in OP that Lohan was still hot)
Dodgeball
Troy

On a similar note, here are some TV shows that ended that year:

Friends
Fraser
Angel
The Man Show
Ricki Lake
Becker
Sex and the City
The Drew Carey Show

You read that right. All these shows had their series finale in same year as the last Leafs playoff appearance.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
Was a 4th grade student living in Windsor after moving from Toronto now I'm a freshmen in college transferring to the University of Missouri this fall with the hopes to get a business admin degree and minor in sports management and apply for an internship with the St Louis Blues in the winter. We are getting old. Can you believe that Crosby was also drafted 8 years ago? Wow. Time flies.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Some major news events from that year:

Major Tsunami in South East Asia.
Abu Ghraib Prison Abuse Scandal.
Rover spirit and opportunity landed on Mars.

Pinchy

Oct 19, 2008
approaching 2nd year uni, aka just finished first year uni, so 1 year out of grade 12 equivalent of "grade 13"

Grade 4 -> Grade 13, 9 years.

2004 was the last time the Leaf's were in the playoffs, it's now 2013, so it's been 9 years.

Yeah, it's my math. I was thinking they've missed 7 straight years but forgot to add the extra year for the lockout.

Also forgot high school only goes to 12 now and there is no more oac's (13).

Carry on.

Just to add. I had just graduated university and was living with a roommate.

I now have two extra roommates although one is my wife and the other two are my sons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad