OT: The Last of the Positive Oiler Fans

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I just gotta say whenever all this **** finally ends (That is if it ever ends) Us Oilers fans who stuck through all this ******** deserve an award.

If this team isn't competitive before the new arena is done I hope the first game there doesn't sell one damn ticket.

Still can't believe I turn on every single game :(

Sloth Slothersons*

I'm probably one of the more optimistic ones. But this team is ****ing garbage. MacT has a lot of work to do. Defence is terrible. Top 6 is soft as hell and can't play defence. Assistant coaches and goalie coach are all idiots and should have been gone long ago. Eakins I don't even know. Lowe and Katz are both morons. Goaltending is good for now. Bottom six is serviceable.

oilphan

Nov 21, 2005
My jersey has just been picked up by purolator and is being delivered to head office.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
I'm always positive, and I will live and die with the Oilers always being my team. Unfortunately there just hasn't been anything to cheer for, even in wins.

****, I always wear my retro pom-pom Oilers toque ESPECIALLY after a loss to keep the spirit alive, but get beaked pretty often for it. God I want this team to turn a corner, please? :help:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Forgetting the mistakes of the past, forgetting the 2 wasted years (and 2 years behind in rebuilding), just looking at where we are... we have been a .500 team since Remembrance Day.

And what we need, 2 top 4D, a 2C, and couple more Hendricks-types. Should be doable by 2015-16.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Forgetting the mistakes of the past, forgetting the 2 wasted years (and 2 years behind in rebuilding), just looking at where we are... we have been a .500 team since Remembrance Day.

And what we need, 2 top 4D, a 2C, and couple more Hendricks-types. Should be doable by 2015-16.

This is being very generous :)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If they go out and blow out the Sharks (or at least just beat them) the board will normalize itself. I can only imagine what this place was like after the 10-2 Sabres debacle.

My positivity has worn thin and I believe changes need to be made at all levels.

But NHL quality goaltending gives me a little hope for the future.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm still quite positive of the team.

The 2014 Oilers are a work in progress. The 2008 Oilers were truly hopeless, a completed project that couldn't make the playoffs.

Despite Eakins' early season gaffes and horrible decisions, I believe he can continue to learn and improve. I thought the same of Krueger. If they go for a different coach for next year I'll understand that too.

Lastly, this core we have, particularly RNH, absolutely has what it takes to win the stanley cup. We've seen players and teams climb out of funks and make the playoffs in one year. If the Avs can do it this year, we can do it too. The Avs aren't the first team like that to do it either.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Can we leave a snide comment regarding positivity?

Right now I'm positive that this team is positively going nowhere this year, and who knows about next year. My positivity left me like a bowel movement after a spicy dinner. Haven't been able to watch more than 5 minutes of a game this year.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Wheeler or a large centre of that sort this off-season (Gagner plus plus, or maybe Yakupov for someone), another year for Nurse and maybe Ekblad to get NHL ready and whamo by fall of 2016, in a new building, Nuge will be 190 pounds, Hall and Ebs will be 24 years old...MacT will have learned things, we surely will have improved by then. They just have to... Then all this pain will just heighten the sense of glory, honestly if we even made the playoffs in 2016 it would feel like a cup win after all this...

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I'm still quite positive of the team.

The 2014 Oilers are a work in progress. The 2008 Oilers were truly hopeless, a completed project that couldn't make the playoffs.

Despite Eakins' early season gaffes and horrible decisions, I believe he can continue to learn and improve. I thought the same of Krueger. If they go for a different coach for next year I'll understand that too.

Lastly, this core we have, particularly RNH, absolutely has what it takes to win the stanley cup. We've seen players and teams climb out of funks and make the playoffs in one year. If the Avs can do it this year, we can do it too. The Avs aren't the first team like that to do it either.

None of the "kids" have given anybody the slightest inclination to believe that is going to be the case. It's a massive leap of faith to believe that players that have stagnated or regressed in their third and fourth NHL seasons have what it takes to lead this organization to the playoffs, let alone the Stanley Cup when they are one of the problems in a long list of them that ail this franchise. The being surrounded with better talent, need a better bottom six, our coach is horrible excuse only absolves them for so long and that time is long since past. Eventually the entitled play and junior level mistakes on the ice have to cease and they need to be accountable for horrible play themselves.

Jun 9, 2011
Oilers are the only nhl team I have ever been a fan of, and only nhl team I will ever be a fan of. Not happy with all decisions made by players/management/fans, but I will remain a fan and expect it to turn around one day.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
None of the "kids" have given anybody the slightest inclination to believe that is going to be the case. It's a massive leap of faith to believe that players that have stagnated or regressed in their third and fourth NHL seasons have what it takes to lead this organization to the playoffs, let alone the Stanley Cup when they are one of the problems in a long list of them that ail this franchise. The being surrounded with better talent, need a better bottom six, our coach is horrible excuse only absolves them for so long and that time is long since past. Eventually the entitled play and junior level mistakes on the ice have to cease and they need to be accountable for horrible play themselves.

Stagnation is not necessarily permanent. Look at Duchene in Colorado, who was thought to be stagnated but with some physical development he can now produce to his original potential. I would say that RNH is a prime target for a player who will explode once his physique is an asset and not a liability anymore.

As for the others, many call them selfish or inconsistent but those are clearly traits of immaturity. With more time their biggest flaws will fade away.

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
I have been an Oiler fan since they came into the league. I can tell you exactly where I was and who was with me for every single Cup victory. I can do the same for every playoff loss.

I have raised four kids never closer than 4000km from Edmonton to be proud Oiler fans and nothing was better than the victory at MSG this season. Sat there with all of them and enjoyed every moment.

But my name should be Job.

I really have not enjoyed the past few years but I take the long view and this too soon shall end.

Thank you for starting this thread.

Go Oilers:handclap:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I have been an Oiler fan since they came into the league. I can tell you exactly where I was and who was with me for every single Cup victory. I can do the same for every playoff loss.

I have raised four kids never closer than 4000km from Edmonton to be proud Oiler fans and nothing was better than the victory at MSG this season. Sat there with all of them and enjoyed every moment.

But my name should be Job.

I really have not enjoyed the past few years but I take the long view and this too soon shall end.

Thank you for starting this thread.

Go Oilers:handclap:

pretty cool, man.:handclap:

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
I applaud all you fine folks that can still be positive through all this. I'll say this, I still believe we can win with our young guys, just not as soon as we all hoped they would. I hope we stop all this jersey throwing stuff, I don't think it's helping anything. I get the frustration but it's time to knock it off.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Positives!!!

Klefbom is looking great! I imagine he'll start next year in the AHL to really get his offence going. He learned to keep things simple in the NHL and if he does that same stuff in the AHL he'll be lighting that league up.

Marincin has been incredibly solid!

Hemsky is playing well in Ottawa and the fact that he isn't in Edmonton makes it less likely that we'll be replacing Hemsky with another small forward!

Hall didn't take a step back!

Our key players have done a good job of staying healthy in 2014!

We somehow don't suck even more without Smid in the line-up! What the hell! Amazing!

It's going to be really hard to stop Nurse from playing in the NHL next season!

Lander is ready for the NHL!

Potter and Larssen will be gone after 10 more games!

We might actually get Ekblad!

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Positives!!!

Klefbom is looking great! I imagine he'll start next year in the AHL to really get his offence going. He learned to keep things simple in the NHL and if he does that same stuff in the AHL he'll be lighting that league up. Agree.

Marincin has been incredibly solid! Agree much better than Klefbom.

Hemsky is playing well in Ottawa and the fact that he isn't in Edmonton makes it less likely that we'll be replacing Hemsky with another small forward! Agree.

Hall didn't take a step back! Disagree. Sideways at best. When backchecking better, when not he kinda has.

Our key players have done a good job of staying healthy in 2014! Agree fewest injuries I can remember.

We somehow don't suck even more without Smid in the line-up! What the hell! Amazing! Agree.

It's going to be really hard to stop Nurse from playing in the NHL next season! Not sure.

Lander is ready for the NHL! Not sure but looks that way.

Potter and Larssen will be gone after 10 more games! Potter is already gone and playing well for Boston. I have the strange suspicion they will resign Larson. No idea why.

We might actually get Ekblad!
Unlikely still. If Buffalo gets two top 3-5 picks they may just take Ekblad first and whichever forward is left. Someone further back wins the lottery and takes Ekblad. Or we just win enough to drop away from him.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Thank to everyone who responded. I'm glad that are still a few hanging in there and I'm not alone in thinking we have things to look forward too, though it looks like it may take longer than expected...lol but hopefully not too long. Cheers! Here's to not giving up!:handclap:

djmarcopolo

Feb 4, 2007
It's great to see some Oiler fans remaining positive, because if the fans can't remain optimistic than what hope do we give our core players who have not even reached 25 years of age and have only known losing seasons up till now. It has worn on them and hearing nothing but negative comments from analysts from the media to their own fans, must really get to these guys who are also growing up as we speak, yes they make a lot of money, but money does not buy happiness, that's what most people will agree with.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It's great to see some Oiler fans remaining positive, because if the fans can't remain optimistic than what hope do we give our core players who have not even reached 25 years of age and have only known losing seasons up till now. It has worn on them and hearing nothing but negative comments from analysts from the media to their own fans, must really get to these guys who are also growing up as we speak, yes they make a lot of money, but money does not buy happiness, that's what most people will agree with.
This thread is from March though. Had I voted then I would have said I was still positive. It's been beaten out of me this season and I'd be willing to bet I'm not the only one.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad