OT: The Last of the Positive Oiler Fans

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
For those who have a snide, sarcastic comment, or want to bring up management/coaching/player changes, can you please refrain from posting in this thread!

There are a dozen threads where you can gripe about that and I want a thread for those that can least talking about "REAL" positive outlooks on the team. With those with an axe to grind that can refrain from doing so, I greatly appreciate it.

Just want to see whose left in the fight of positive thinking. (The real fighters of it, not the sarcastic comedians)

I am for sure one of the "glass half full, adversity makes you stronger" type.

I still love my oilers, even through these hard times.

What say you those who are left still holding the oil of hope!

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
For those who have a snide, sarcastic comment, or want to bring up management/coaching/player changes, can you please refrain from posting in this thread!

There are a dozen threads where you can gripe about that and I want a thread for those that can least talking about "REAL" positive outlooks on the team. With those with an axe to grind that can refrain from doing so, I greatly appreciate it.

Just want to see whose left in the fight of positive thinking. (The real fighters of it, not the sarcastic comedians)

I am for sure one of the "glass half full, adversity makes you stronger" type.

I still love my oilers, even through these hard times.

What say you those who are left still holding the oil of hope!

I'm still silently optimistic, however don't often voice my opinion around here as it's quite the losing battle. But, never giving up hope!

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm not so quietly optimistic, but I understand the frustration, because I might be optimistic, but I'm not happy with the situation.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
I have been a fan since they entered the WHA as the Alberta Oilers. I still cheer for the team, but this last season has really dragged my enthusiasm into the ditch. When they score, unless it is an absolute beauty, my reaction is more of a subdued yipee, than a loud YES!

Also, HF boards is starting to bother me as well (some posters).

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm frustrated, but I don't see the point in being so negative about it. Honestly, if it gets to the point where I am so frustrated about this team that I can't be positive, I'll stop watching. I have better things to do then ***** and moan all the time.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Leave me Im done, but will continue to watch like a bystander watching corpses being pulled from a train wreck.

I do believe in 2-3 years if we get rid of Eakins and bring a real NHL coach we will have a hockey team again, but until then I will not attend an Oilers game live. I will watch games pvr'd to speed through the embarrassment and minimise the time I am wasting.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
I'm hangin in there. Can't really change loyalties so easily as I've been in this city pretty much all of my life and have always loved this team. I feel blessed to have a team here. I say that most begrudgingly, knowing that Katz feeds off of this mentality.

Hockey Monkey

Oct 4, 2011
Despite all of the losses I've really enjoyed becoming a satellite Oilers fan over the last few years (since the Barons affiliation started). The team is always fun to watch and the drama is both constant and entertaining. The fan base is one of the great ones in North American sports and I think I speak for a lot of other NHL fans when I say that we're all rooting for the Oilers at least a little bit.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Ugh, there's got to be more options than that.

I've felt the same way that I did 12 months ago, we have some key players and with some prudent moves and the right moves this team can be good.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I'm still optimistic but I don't have a lot of faith in Eakins. That challenges my ability to see a quick rise up the standings next year when the guy steering the ship has shown so poorly. I think he's the wrong fit for these players.

I'm certainly more optimistic with MacT as GM though, and with the play of some players improving that bodes well for the future. Hopefully the players whose play has regressed this year can have good summers and bounce back next fall. I think overall there needs to be a higher standard and a consistent work ethic from this team otherwise they'll never compete for a playoff spot. The NHL is far too competitive now for players to be satisfied with average performances. They need to demand more from themselves because that's what players on good teams are doing consistently and it shows in their play and in the standings.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I have hope that the Oilers can eventually draft higher than 5th overall and show some measurable and consistent progress. That is an optimistic outlook, right?

I'm also optimistic that they'll eventually become a fun team to watch once again because it can't get much worse than the rock bottom, monotonous brand of hockey they've played over the past two seasons.

I also am optimistic that there will come a time when I can bring Oilers gear out of the basement, dust off the cobwebs and actually wear it instead of being embarrassed to be seen in this teams paraphernalia.

I also am optimistic that Daryl Katz will come to his senses, replace Craig MacTavish with my dog who will in turn get rid of Kevin Lowe and the coaching staff before anointing a bunch of cute and cuddly puppies to coach the roster.

Then and only then will we win.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Nothing has changed for me, I really don't get the acting like a petulant child and whining about Old Boys Club or complaining about the losing.

I've been an Oiler fan for 30 plus years. And I still am. I stopped watching the Oiler games on tv for a part this season because it really wasn't interesting, but I've watched again the last month or so because the work ethic has improved.

I remain optimistic that MacT will do what's necessary. I will remain a fan regardless if Kevin Lowe is president or not, if Eakins is coach or not, if Taylor Hall is traded or not.

That being said, I won't go to a game live for a while. And that's not because of the product on the ice - but because the fans in the stands are really terrible. Drunken, loud, obnoxious, foul-mouthed, sexist. The last couple of times I've gone, I've been very disappointed by the people watching the game around me - totally ruined the night.

jp7

Aug 13, 2011
It can only go up from rock bottom. Right guys? Right? Or maybe we keep going deeper into rock bottom, eventually hitting the core and exploding in a fiery molten outburst of wins.

I'll keep dreaming.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I'm proud of the victories and extremely disappointed in the losses.

I still truly believe that this team and it's stars can shine they just need to figure out how.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
I like the additions of Hendricks, Scrivens and Fasth. That is all positive stuff there. Hopefully more to come.

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
I honesly don't know how anyone couldn't be frustrated.

This team is borderline on breaking the record for consecutive years without playoffs.

In a Canadian market, that is unacceptale.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I'm still on board. I sometimes rip the team when the efforts not there, but usually refrain from lambasting the team at every turn like some around here like to do. When I really think about it, I have a hard time believing this team can't be salvaged with all the good pieces we have. There will no doubt need to be changes, but I have faith that MacT will make the right moves, one of them being patience. All of our best players are so damn young, as hard as it is for Oilers fans to stomach this team needs time to develop and mature at the NHL level.

It seems like things were a bit brighter around HFOil a couple of days ago, then the two games against Buffalo and Calgary happened and the whole site is bashing the Oilers. While those losses were extremely embarrassing I personally thought the team looked much better up until the two games.

I guess at the end of the day I can't help but be an Oilers fan, its in my DNA I will never be able to switch teams. I do have a more positive outlook on the team and life, which makes it easier to stomach the bad times than it is for others.

* I should add that I am OK with the team making mistakes with there execution but I can't stand a lack of effort, if the team tries hard I'm OK with the growing pains, but if the effort is not there I get quite pissed off with the team.

Last edited:

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I can still be positive about the team, unfortunately that also requires patience and accepting that we're likely still far away from the rebuild being over. We need defence and young defenders take awhile to mature. We need a different makeup in our top 6 and we need a veteran presence up front with size and skill not just one or the other. So the up side is we've accumulated some decent pieces.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
I wouldn't say I'm positive about the team, but I'm also not interested in joining the wrist-slitters I see in every thread.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
Always be a fan of the oilers but interest level and the prioritizing of the team in everyday life is slowly diminishing. This summer is the make or break it with this core tho for me, these "stars" need to prove that they are that good and worth being untouchable, only one to PROVE that is Hall.

"It's always darkest just before the dawn"

Thats the reason i am hopeful next year is the year things get good. I mean this is the worst part of the rebuild and it seems hopeless but ekblad is coming on the horizon our prospects got good arrows and maybe soon we take that next step.

Also, ppl keep just assuming cuz another year past and the "stars"lol will be better, well to quote lowetide "theres a difference between 5 years experience and 1 years experience 5 times" maybe its time to stop blaming the teacher and blame the student for not building on previous experience

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
A breath of fresh air on HFOil? Weird.

Blue and orange will always run through my veins. We've accumulated too many valuable chips for the winning not to eventually come. The agony endured since 06 will make the winning that much sweeter.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I have been a fan since they entered the WHA as the Alberta Oilers. I still cheer for the team, but this last season has really dragged my enthusiasm into the ditch. When they score, unless it is an absolute beauty, my reaction is more of a subdued yipee, than a loud YES!

Also, HF boards is starting to bother me as well (some posters).

I feel the same way, pretty much the same timeline as well (damn we're old...haha). You know it's bad when even my buddies who are die hard Flames fans and HATE the Oilers feel sorry for us...it's that bad.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Count me in with the positive group. It's hard to watch people self destruct like they are doing. I consider myself a die hard fan. But that doesn't mean I'm gunna die hard when the team is struggling. (sorry, that was pretty lame). I'm looking forward to this group turning a corner. Be it next year or the year after, etc. It's going to happen sometime, and I'm not going to abandon them when the going is at its toughest.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
A breath of fresh air on HFOil? Weird.

Blue and orange will always run through my veins. We've accumulated too many valuable chips for the winning not to eventually come. The agony endured since 06 will make the winning that much sweeter.

I, at least, can tell that you are all on board the positivity train with the quality of GDT's you constantly put out. :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad