The last few games you beat and rate them IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered (2010/2020)
Developed by Criterion Games
Played on PC

maxresdefault.jpg

I gave this game a go during my university days and remembered enjoying it quite a bit, something akin to a Burnout-ified NFS entry. Seeing the remastered edition available on PC gave me the chance to complete the game, and here are my thots.

Presentation is minimalist when it comes to menus yet beautiful in-game. I appreciate the game's willingness to have geographical divergence, with the snowy mountains complimenting the beach, farmlands and highways. Despite often racing on the same roads, I never got bored of these locations; perhaps a small city area could have put it over the top, but I'm not complaining. The only thing this game really could have improved on, ironically, is the feel of speed when hitting the top of the speedometers. Little visual flairs could have helped sell the fantasy better while racing in the wildlands.

Gameplay is a bit of a mixed bag. There's a fine base to the game, and I appreciate how the tracks allow for steady progression for series newbies while offering advanced players the necessary tools to maximize their output. Putting emphasis on driving risque for nitrous makes tons of gameplay sense and adds to the tension. The cops are well implemented and provide the game's draw, having racers and coppers fighting for positions, justifying the game's heavy usage of rubber banding.......sometimes.

This leads to the game's main flaw: the racing itself. Rubber banding helps when it comes to hot pursuits, interceptor missions and duels because the focus is on the battles, not dissimilar (though contextually different) from Burnout. The problem is those same battles do not happen on straight up races with no cops, so all it serves to do is reward bad racing. These are by far the least interesting sessions as a result, as no win feels truly earned AND there are no confrontations to justify the rubber band.

What does it all come to? A good racer with flaws, elevated by good road design and presentation that adds up to a great pickup for any casual racing fans.

Gameplay: 7/10
Presentation: 8/10 (+1)
Score: 8/10

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I had to look it up, I'm disappointed it's the remaster of the most recent Hot Pursuit. They couldn't remaster one of the originals? :(

That was my reaction when I saw the review. I was initially excited, then saw that it's a remaster of a 2010 game. I want a remaster of Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit from 1998. That's probably the NFS game that I'm most fond of. I liked the first two NFS games, but the addition of cops in the 3rd one was huge and brought back the fun of evading police in my Lamborghini in the first few Test Drives (from 1987-90; now I'm really dating myself).

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I never played the original Hot Pursuit, so I'd love to go back and play it, but I did play the hell of out of Hot Pursuit 2 on PS2. I ended up 100%ing the game, it was so much fun. That was also in the days where I didn't have money to go buy new games so not sure if I'd have the patience to 100% it again because there's A LOT of races in it. lol

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I had to look it up, I'm disappointed it's the remaster of the most recent Hot Pursuit. They couldn't remaster one of the originals? :(

Hot Pursuit 2010 required a lot less work is pretty much why I'd gather, saves on development costs. It looked great in 2010 and so a few graphical upgrades is all it really needed, along with adding the DLC (though probably due to licensing, a few cars didn't make the transition).

It very much feels like Hot Pursuit a la Burnout because of Criterion, but Burnouts 3 and especially Revenge were better.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Shogun II: Total War (2011)
Developed by The Creative Assembly
Played on PC

691603686_528477396_o.jpg

The total war series has traditionally been my go to for my real-time and hybrid game fixes, when the itch to attack and defend in large scale battles arrives and the Civilization and Galactic Civilizations of the world can't provide what I need.

The thing that immediately stood out to me is the presentation: a decade later, this game still looks really good and has stood the test of time. The UI is simple yet artistic, providing all the necessary information without overloading the player, while the battles have excellent visual flair without overdoing the effects. A good accompanying soundtrack that flows well with on-screen activities solidifies a top class effort in the RTS genre.

Gameplay also holds up, though it might no be everyone's cup of tea. Compared to their Rome or even Medieval line of historical wonton, CA decided to simplify the rock/paper/scissors chess match with almost zero unit variation between factions, preferring to use bonuses for certain factions. This is nice for new players and those who want to focus their attention on positioning and environmental conditions, but it does diminish re-playability by knowing exactly what you will be up against every fight, regardless of opponent.

Conclusion: Shogun II is an excellent entry in the Total War series and probably the most approachable for newcomers. It may not be my personal favorite in the series but its relative simplicity, combined with top notch presentation, puts it in the top-2 at worst.

Gameplay: 8/10
Presentation: 9/10 (+1)
Score: 9/10

Last edited:
Reactions: Commander Clueless

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Hades

9.5/10.

I like Rogue-likes, but how this game blends the core gameplay with storytelling is just brilliant.

The combat is excellent, but so is the writing, the narration, the voice acting, the music, the art style as well as the end-game.

With the boon system, the mirror, the aspects for each weapon, heats... there's just a ton of content packed in this game, which I bought for a ridiculous 8$.

After playing the chore that was Red Dead Redemption 2, this was a breath of fresh air.

As far as play time, each run takes me around 30-50 minutes. I did my 10 completed runs in 32 attempts, so I'm guessing Im a bit over 20 hours. However, if I didnt have such a big back log, I think I could go way higher.

Again, great game.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Cuphead (2017)
Developed by Studio MDHR
Played on PC

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fmitchwallace%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F09%2FCuphead_Clown.jpg

Despite how much I've sucked at Cuphead in the past, I always loved the game purely for the art style. Now that I have given up on the DLC coming to fruition any time soon, I decided to just give this one a second go following my failures back in 2017.

I could go on about how the simple, approachable gameplay and controls is juxtaposed with some of the toughest gameplay known to man, or get into the nitty gritty regarding upgrades and their usefulness, and perhaps a little into some boss fights feeling a little on the cheap side. You will sweat playing this game, zero question.

But let's be frank: this game's greatness comes from its timeless presentation. A Cuphead review might as well just be a collection of in-game images.

Gameplay: 8/10
Presentation: 10/10 (+2)
Score: 10/10

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Conclusion: Shogun II is an excellent entry in the Total War series and probably the most approachable for newcomers. It may not be my personal favorite in the series but its relative simplicity, combined with top notch presentation, puts it in the top-2 at worst.

It's the only one I've played. I enjoyed it!

You tend to remember some of the more heroic moments (I think I had a general left defending a castle with some archers and just sent him charging around and he somehow survived and won the battle).

I also found the Sengoku era fascinating and there's a fair degree of replayability in terms of starting in different locations with different strengths. I also enjoyed the subtle power of the monk, ninja and metsuke.

What would say is the best TW and why? I'm curious to try another one.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
It's the only one I've played. I enjoyed it!

You tend to remember some of the more heroic moments (I think I had a general left defending a castle with some archers and just sent him charging around and he somehow survived and won the battle).

I also found the Sengoku era fascinating and there's a fair degree of replayability in terms of starting in different locations with different strengths. I also enjoyed the subtle power of the monk, ninja and metsuke.

What would say is the best TW and why? I'm curious to try another one.

I'm biased towards the first Rome: Total War because it's my first TW game, and the sheer differentiation between factions meant you had to change your tactics as you conquered more territories, but it hasn't aged great due to technological limitations at the time (and AI pathfinding issues). The other issue is city management: every city had more or less the same paths of improvement, something Medieval II and later entries rectified. Rome II contains similar unit differentiation and depth compared to the first Rome while applying a lot of the UI, city management, tech tree and artistic advancements Shogun II had.

Nostalgia leans more towards the OG Rome yet despite the awful launch Rome II had, the latter eventually became the most complete Total War game there was (at least for the historical games pre-Three Kingdoms, and I also cannot comment on the Warhammer entries).

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Mafia: Definitive Edition - 8/10

I never played the original Mafia so the remaster was my first go at this title. I did play 2 so I was excited to give this one a go. It's hardly an open world game as you just go from mission to mission. You could enter a free roam mode to explore the city but it's actually a separate option from the main menu. You could take whatever path you'd like from objectives but overall, there's not much point to. The only time you're really exploring is when you're running from the cops. That being said, having a more linear experience isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Mafia shines in a great story with very well written characters. Constantly pushing you into the next mission really helps you feel involved in the family's story and getting to know all the characters. The story really keeps you wanting to go from mission to mission to see what happens next and really gives you a mafia feeling. You'll find who's really your friends as you progress and it's a fun ride all the way through.

A couple things about the PC version, it was fairly buggy. I don't normally run into too many bugs throughout games but this one definitely had enough that it stood out. I had to restart some missions because AI just wouldn't react properly to trigger the next checkpoint, I lost sound a couple times, and the HUD locked up on my once too. I never had the game crash but I did have to Alt+F4 during a cutscene when the next scene wouldn't trigger. Foliage was moving but for some reason, the camera wouldn't move to the next scene and trigger the rest of the cutscene. It was getting really annoying considering this remaster has been out for almost a year at this point.

Bugs aside, it was still a really fun game with an engaging story. If you like the Mafia setting, give this game a go.

Reactions: Osprey

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart

The game was great. 2 or 3 criticisms though:

1. Passive damage guns are stupid.

2. The dash button is also stupid. It overcomplicated the controls and negatively affects the design by adding an I-frame dodge. Make a well designed boss that lets you jump and run around its attacks like the rest of the games.

Third one, I'm pretty sure certain collectibles get permanently gated off as the game progresses and you need New Game+. This is not necessarily a negative, since lots of games have it, but I prefer all collectibles to be available at the end game if possible.

Rest of the game was stunning and the gameplay was great.

8/10

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
es94WMp.jpg

Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4, 2017)

Before I went into Horizon Zero Dawn I didn't really know anything about it. I knew it had a redhaired girl as the main character. I knew it had a world filled with machines. That was pretty much it. I've since learned the girl is called Aloy, the machines are all eerily similar to animals from Earth's present and past, and as she sets out into her third person action adventure she finds out who she is and why the machines are there.

Aloy is born a member of the Nora, one of the tribes that inhabits the game world. The Nora are extremely snobby however and Aloy is an outcast, doomed to be raised by another outcast until she reaches 18 and can run in The Proving, a sequence of tasks people that age partake in in order to become a Nora Brave, and properly join the tribe. Sadly right at her moment of triumph some bad guys turn up to kill her and Aloy's world is turned upside down. The Nora instead make her a Seeker and send her out into the world to discover what's going on.

Like all open world games nowadays, Horizon offers the player complete freedom on how they approach the game's various quests and activities. There's a levelling system which allows you to unlock skills, with quests tied to that in an advisory manner rather than required. The problem I always have with open world games, especially large ones like this, is that I'm overwhelmed. I barely know who Aloy is, who the Nora are or why every location in their area is called Mother's Something or other, now I'm out into the world meeting the Carja and the Oseram and the Banuk and various individuals within those tribes and I'm doing quests for all of them and I'm doing hunting trials and I've got different weapons and outfits and upgrades with different categories to improve and there are loads of locations with funny names to find them all in. If reading this feels fast and poorly explained, now you know how I feel.

This isn't really something that improves as the game goes on. In one session you could spend two or three hours just doing side quests, visiting various places on the map and getting the life stories of various different people in the process. Then the next time you play you go back to the main story and you've no idea who anyone is, something not helped by there being two separate main quest threads in the early game. Is this a problem I have? Is it because I don't play games like this very often, and is this why I've always preferred a more linear experience?

I think something which limits any real sense of connection I had with the characters is how you interact with them. There's an air of the Betheseda open world RPG about things, where you talk to people and have a list of conversation topics to work your way through in lieu of exposition. The voice acting isn't that great (Aloy's in particular can be downright weird, and the amount of talking she does when you're controlling her in the world is irritating) and during these conversations the people have that classic Fallout dead eyed thousand mile stare the entire time. Near enough everyone you speak to has the same look, same mannerisms and same vocal delivery, and they all look ridiculous while they're doing it. As a result, I don't pay that much attention.

Now that I've finished the game I'm in two minds about the world. I spent 70 hours in it across my first playthrough, the Frozen Wilds DLC and New Game+ and I like it. I like the premise of the story and I'll expand on why later, and the gameplay loop of fighting machines and scavenging in the open sections remained satisfying through all those hours.

Gameplay is your standard modern-day open world action adventure fare. There's a crafting system based on scavenging from the environment as well as defeated enemies, allowing you to make as much ammo and health potions as you like. There are a range of weapons to provide different strategies for approaching both human and mechanical enemies. This is also slightly overwhelming in the early game because there are lots of different types of weapons which all do different things and, for me at least, there was a sense I should be using all of them. I realise this isn't the case, I realise most games have problems like this where the default weapon is the best option despite whatever else they can make you try to use, but my experience with the weapons was similar to the characters and locations. There are a lot, and it's a lot to try and process when you're new to the game.

Once you do though, it's worth it. Finding some machines you need to take out and planning your assault beforehand, laying down traps and tripwires then baiting them to run into them while you finish them off with arrows, this is very satisfying when it comes off and it remains satisfying for the whole game. The combat controls are solid, and different ammo types easy to switch between. Aloy also has a melee weapon which is about the most useless weapon I've ever seen in a game - it starts off an uninterruptable movement animation that takes about four seconds to finish and does no damage. Terrible, especially if you accidentally trigger it while you're trying to aim your bow.

Outside of the full attack option on machines and humans alike, there's little viable variety in the gameplay. You can kill human and machine enemies with stealth - either with well-placed arrow shots or contextual melee strikes or over-riding the machines to make them fight for you, but even on lower difficulties it's hard to take out more than a couple of enemies before you've alerted a whole area full of them. This often leads to you being swamped from all sides, and it can be easy at times to be physically overwhelmed by machines, being pushed around. It doesn't help in this regard that most of the machines you can't take down in one hit are all absolutely huge, but these ones can move just as fast and as suddenly as the smaller ones.

The final note I'll make on the combat is that there's an elemental system in the weapons and outfits. You can use ice, fire and other kinds of ammo and certain machines are vulnerable to them and it's almost completely pointless because fire works pretty much perfectly against all of them. Spam a few fire arrows until the flame or thermometer symbol above the machine fills up, then spam its weak spots with regular arrows. Job done.

Now that I've said "machines" about a thousand times, what of them? What of the story that put them there? I'm a big fan of dystopian fiction and as Aloy explores the world we start to find the ruins of what is clearly, or was, Earth. We discover that throughout the 21st century mankind became more reliant on increasingly sophisticated robot technology. Then the biggest robot manufacturing company in the world made a line of "peacekeeping" (read: military) robots that had a glitch in their software. They're fuelled by biomass and they can self-replicate at will. And now they can't be shut down. Whoopsie.

The biggest thing I can say about the story for this game is that even though, perhaps because, it took me a long time to uncover it as I was going about the map that it felt properly momentous. I realise that mankind dooming the planet to lifelessness then enacting a successful plan to counter it is about as large-scale as it gets, but the pace you uncover the details and then the remnants of it feels well-paced in a way that's surprising for an open world game. By the time you discover what Zero Dawn is (we know what Zero Dawn is, still not sure about the Horizon bit) Aloy isn't just a clueless Nora wandering about the world anymore, so there's a reasonable amount of character development tied in with the story details.

That said, the manner in which the story is presented is... well, let's call it convenient. Aloy has a Focus, a device from the pre-apocalypse days she found when she was young. This lets her scan the area around her and interact with old technology, and forms a useful part of the gameplay as you scan areas to find out where enemies are and what their weaknesses are. Rather than Aloy exploring the world on her own and finding out the truth about herself - an admittedly daunting task - the Focus starts talking to her. It starts talking to her in the voice of Cedric Daniels from The Wire, who conveniently has spent several years scouting locations and gathering information and perhaps more things he's not being honest about, and he guides her through everything she has to do. I realise it might have seemed implausible for Aloy to find out so much on her own, but it's probably worse to just put a voice in her ear which gives her all the answers.

The Frozen Wilds DLC offers a new location, new story and some monsters even more irritating than before, purely by virtue of their size. It's alright. It raises some questions about the game's geography, since it seems to have a volcano in it which was once Yellowstone National Park. But the rest of the game is set in and around Colorado and Utah. I might be completely off with this, I'm sure if you've read this far you care about the game enough to know if this is nonsense and will tell me as much. You get some new weapons here too and elemental combat comes into play a bit more, but for the most part it's just more of the same. And that's fine, since I like what I had already.

Despite everything that I've said here, I know what the best compliment you can give an open world game is. It's how much you want to be and spend time in that world, how much you want to be the character you're playing as or spend time with them. After playing this for a bit I had a day where I was really immersed in it, I sunk a good few hours into it. The next day I was out and while I was walking down the road I realised I was looking at cars and automatically scanning them as if they were machines. I was looking at the lights and body panels as areas to target, as weak spots, and I didn't even realise I was doing it. That makes up for all the dead eyed conversations, convenient plot delivery and surprisingly underwhelming final boss fight.

I'd love to say my positive experience with one of the most celebrated PS4 exclusives will make me more eager to seek them out in the future, but my backlog's big and there's always something else to work through first. It's a hard life, this.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Kingdom Hearts 3 - 6.5/10

This was my first Kingdom Hearts game, It was recommended by a co-worker, maybe missing the previous ones was an issue, maybe I just didn't get it, it was fairly long but seemed 3 times as long as it really was, it was a real slog for me. And sooo many cutscenes

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I hadn't played first person shooters in ages until I gave The Outer Worlds a chance, I enjoyed it, not rushing to go back. But, due to that, and wanting to see what I might be missing with Obisidian and Bethesda going to Microsoft (and whether that leads me to get a PC or a Series X down the line), I decided to give Doom Eternal a shot, since it just got a PS5 upgrade and I got it on sale for like $30. Played Doom as a kid as the game "kids shouldn't play" so there was some nostalgia. The game was fun, and very fast paced. The platforming elements from first person can get annoying and for someone who hasn't played many FPS since the original Halo and Goldeneye, the learning curve was steep. The Story is almost non-existent which is a blessing and a curse. Some demons will drive you insane (looking at marauders). Overall, I enjoyed it, probably say like a 7.5 to an 8 overall. Very well made, solid level design, and looks absolutely beautiful (as much as a doom game can) on PS5. Had one crash, which was weird, but it was a soft one.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I hadn't played first person shooters in ages until I gave The Outer Worlds a chance, I enjoyed it, not rushing to go back. But, due to that, and wanting to see what I might be missing with Obisidian and Bethesda going to Microsoft (and whether that leads me to get a PC or a Series X down the line), I decided to give Doom Eternal a shot, since it just got a PS5 upgrade and I got it on sale for like $30. Played Doom as a kid as the game "kids shouldn't play" so there was some nostalgia. The game was fun, and very fast paced. The platforming elements from first person can get annoying and for someone who hasn't played many FPS since the original Halo and Goldeneye, the learning curve was steep. The Story is almost non-existent which is a blessing and a curse. Some demons will drive you insane (looking at marauders). Overall, I enjoyed it, probably say like a 7.5 to an 8 overall. Very well made, solid level design, and looks absolutely beautiful (as much as a doom game can) on PS5. Had one crash, which was weird, but it was a soft one.

Might be worth giving the first Doom remake a try too, I think I preferred it to Eternal a little bit, but enjoyed both

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Loved it. That the studio put this much quality out in their first JRPG is pretty nuts. Takes about five hours to get started and take off the training wheels, and it is such a great location to just walk around and discover random things, just be aware of what level of baddies are in your area. The dungeons they have are pretty straight forward and there's not very many of them. There are TONS of side quests/stories to do, but nothing that's really required to do to finish the game, but you'd be messing out on a ton of great content. The characters are great as well, not a bad one in the group. I liked it more than Persona 5.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Kingdom Hearts 3 - 6.5/10

This was my first Kingdom Hearts game, It was recommended by a co-worker, maybe missing the previous ones was an issue, maybe I just didn't get it, it was fairly long but seemed 3 times as long as it really was, it was a real slog for me. And sooo many cutscenes

The Kingdom Hearts series is probably the most overrated franchise in video game history. Just utterly contrived, convoluted, and cliched storytelling. It's the only game that manages to be both absurdly overcomplicated and yet childishly simple and stupid.

I'm convinced these games only have a following because people can't shake the childhood nostalgia of playing 1 and 2.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Maneater - 7.5/10

Started this game last year and got frustrated by bigger animals crushing me but thats because I ventured too far into the ocean before my shark could handle it. Restarted it this week and had a ball. A little short and the story isn’t much but lots of fun and a pretty easy game to 100%. Chris Parnell doing the voiceover work is great.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
callsea-3335043b.jpg

Call of the Sea - 7/10

This was an enjoyable story-driven puzzle adventure set on a South Pacific island in the 1930s. You play as a woman in search of her husband who went to the area to find a cure for your illness and never returned. It's largely a walking simulator in which explore the island alone and look at all of the previous expedition's abandoned things to piece the story together while talking to yourself. If you liked Firewatch, it's like that, but with puzzles. The number of puzzles makes it feel a little less like your ordinary walking simulator and more like a point-and-click adventure, which I appreciated. The puzzles are challenging, but not so hard that you get frustrated and can't figure them out eventually (and even if you can't figure them out, most can be solved by just brute force trying all possible combinations). The graphics are beautiful and more artistic than realistic. There are 6 chapters and each one takes about an hour (maybe more if you really get stuck on a puzzle), so it's about a 6-hour game. I did a chapter a night to stretch it out. The story is interesting and a bit Lovecraftian, so if you like Lovecraft, you might like the story. Overall, I found it to be quite good and recommend it if you want a casual puzzle-adventure game in a beautiful setting.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Amid Evil:

I enjoyed this one, it's one of those "retro" shooters that came out over the last few years. This one inspired by Hexen and Heretic, though tbh it doesn't play much like them. It plays more like an amalgamation of Unreal/Quake. It's definitely not a great game and the intentionally "retro" graphics don't really work for me but it's still a solid romp. I'd rather just play a retro style game with good graphics but YMMV. The first maybe 3 levels are way too easy but then it ramps up a bit to be a decent challenge. That said only the final level had me hitting quick load much, mostly because the other levels have too much health available. The guns are each unique and fun, though I wish there was maybe one more. The enemies though are not reactive enough to being shot, making them feel spongy.

If I had to give it a number, probably an 8 due to the level design being pretty well done and the enemy variety/placement is top notch.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Amid Evil:

I enjoyed this one, it's one of those "retro" shooters that came out over the last few years. This one inspired by Hexen and Heretic, though tbh it doesn't play much like them. It plays more like an amalgamation of Unreal/Quake. It's definitely not a great game and the intentionally "retro" graphics don't really work for me but it's still a solid romp. I'd rather just play a retro style game with good graphics but YMMV. The first maybe 3 levels are way too easy but then it ramps up a bit to be a decent challenge. That said only the final level had me hitting quick load much, mostly because the other levels have too much health available. The guns are each unique and fun, though I wish there was maybe one more. The enemies though are not reactive enough to being shot, making them feel spongy.

If I had to give it a number, probably an 8 due to the level design being pretty well done and the enemy variety/placement is top notch.

I'm dating myself, but I liked Heretic and disliked Hexen. I would argue they played differently (specifically, Hexen was a where-the-f***-do-I-go game with a ridiculous layout and progression system), but will agree that they are much more like each other than they are like Quake.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm dating myself, but I liked Heretic and disliked Hexen. I would argue they played differently (specifically, Hexen was a where-the-f***-do-I-go game with a ridiculous layout and progression system), but will agree that they are much more like each other than they are like Quake.

I'm not SUPER familiar with either, much more with Quake/Unreal/Doom/Wolf3d/Duke3d.

I did not like Hexen much back in the day either though only played a couple maps but I was pretty young, might enjoy it more as an adult. Amid Evil lacks actual melee viability and a class system.

Mostly I think they used the magic shtick on Amid Evil to differentiate it from other retro shooters. It works reasonably well feeling wise. It lacks the pure adrenaline action sequences of Quake and the sort of weapon heaviness it has. The game has the most in common with Unreal IMO. Wide open maps, breadcrumb story telling, same bullet spongy enemies and fast but not insanely fast movement. It just happens to have magicy weapons :laugh:

Could probably use a few (like 1 per map) more puzzles.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I'm not SUPER familiar with either, much more with Quake/Unreal/Doom/Wolf3d/Duke3d.

I did not like Hexen much back in the day either though only played a couple maps but I was pretty young, might enjoy it more as an adult. Amid Evil lacks actual melee viability and a class system.

Hexen, in my opinion, kind of blows. You rarely know where to go or what to do, your weapons are limited (only 4 per class) and it doesn't know whether it wants to play more like a dungeon crawler or more like an FPS. It has an identity crisis. Heretic is more fun to play IMO.

I liked Quake. I absolutely loved Quake II. Quake III I liked for what it was, but I'd rather play Unreal Tournament.

DOOM/DOOM II/Duke 3D...well, nothing more needs to be said about them. They speak for themselves.

Mostly I think they used the magic shtick on Amid Evil to differentiate it from other retro shooters. It works reasonably well feeling wise. It lacks the pure adrenaline action sequences of Quake and the sort of weapon heaviness it has. The game has the most in common with Unreal IMO. Wide open maps, breadcrumb story telling, same bullet spongy enemies and fast but not insanely fast movement. It just happens to have magicy weapons :laugh:

Could probably use a few (like 1 per map) more puzzles.

This actually sounds interesting to me.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Ive noticed a lot of people say this is a great game. I just haven't seen many commenting on the gameplay. How is it ? Aside from the story, what makes it hard to put down ?

Chapter 1 - 3: Lots of walking, not understanding what's going on, building/crafting things that don't seem that cool, being freaked out by the monster music, being doubly freaked out when you encounter monsters

Chapter 4+: Like nothing you've played before story-wise (and man is a weird/incredible story, plus fantastic acting), along with a return to traditional tactical shooter gameplay

Reactions: Jovavic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad