The last few games you beat and rate them IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I am absolutely hauling ass through my replay of Sekiro. I've beat all the bosses and mini-bosses that I played in my original playthrough in 1 attempt except for Genichiro. I nearly had him and then got him on my second try with only using a healing gourd or 2. I've been following a guide and I think I got all the items, dialogue, and eavesdrops for all of the endings. Beat Owl (The Great Shinobi) in only a couple of tries.

I've heard that NG+ for Sekiro isn't so hard and frankly it's been so smooth replaying it that I might even go for the platinum. Skipping all the optional stuff, a little save scumming for the 3 endings, and a little more in NG+ to be able to get all the upgrade materials and it wouldn't even take that long. I've still got to get through Owl (Father), Demon of Hatred, and Sword Saint, though :laugh:

Reactions: Andrei79

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
BCkMJko.jpg

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (PS4, 2019)

Despite being an long-running, popular and generally well regarded series, I had never heard of Ace Combat until the free to play instalment of Infinity was released in 2014. I ended up playing it a few years later still with no knowledge of the series. I loved it. There was a brief single player mode but the main focus was multiplayer co-op missions which all involved destroying an assortment of targets to achieve an objective. I enjoyed it so much I started paying attention to the development of Ace Combat 7, although not enough attention to realise it wouldn't have an online mode anything like Infinity.

Since this game carries at 7 at the end of its name, you might imagine there's 6 games' worth of story preceding it. You'd be wrong, because Ace Combat Zero is in there somewhere too. It's no matter though, because Skies Unknown is a new story and after finishing the game from beginning to end at least six times I'm still not entirely sure I understand it. The game world exists in an alternative version of Earth called 'Strangereal,' with the same things you'd expect on Earth - some continents, lots of people, and a seemingly endless desire to spend lots of money on wars.

Most of that money is spent on aircraft. Judging by the amount of aircraft you shoot down and the amount of missiles your planes can carry, this world must bankrupt itself on a weekly basis. At the start of each mission you pick a plane, its parts and weapon, then you go up and carry out the mission. Planes and parts are unlocked from the Aircraft Tree, you earn money to buy them from doing missions and playing online. Most of the planes are real, but there are some concepts you can unlock once you get far enough and there's lots of DLC if you really like the game. This all works fine. Honestly, I've played the game so much I can't really describe details like this objectively anymore, they're just so commonplace to me I'm struggling with detailing how it all works.

Since this is Ace Combat 7 there's a lot of information from previous games that's just sort of assumed knowledge not only on behalf of the player, but the game world itself. Locations and characters are included which I only tangentially recognise from my time with Infinity, and even when I've played the game several times there's still a lingering sense of familiarity which I don't quite get. It's not helped by the way the game's story is actually presented. There are cutscenes between missions which tie together different characters and their narrative threads, but none of these are brought up in missions. Missions themselves feature the other pilots talking over the radio and there's personality there if you look hard enough, but it's quite a strange way of story-telling to try and get used to.

The missions themselves don't help with this as there seems to be very little relation to anything in the world that you're told about. You're shown maps of Strangereal and told you're fighting here in order to do this, you go up and... you shoot at planes. Or you shoot at ground targets. The war's raging, then the war ends. You did that. Perhaps there's a contemporary social commentary about how detached aerial warfare is in here. Destroying dozens of targets you can't see or properly understand starts, perpetuates and ends a war, against an enemy you never see. Again, it takes the several playthroughs I've managed to actually feel as if what you're doing has any impact or significance, but thankfully, it does. I suppose it feels like a game and a story which actively rewards both repeated plays and the player really trying to engage with everything they're experience.

I'm not really sure how to describe the experience of playing the story without just recanting all of it as it happened. I realise too that my previous paragraph doesn't really sound like a positive reaction. I don't know how to explain how that format can produce numerous characters, situations and personalities that are completely unique and memorable, but it does. Since playing Skies Unknown I did some digging online into the fan community and this helped me realise how good the story and characters were. Missions where you're fighting against an old man with twelve names who's in a plane with a railgun on it and he's bragging about how "there have been pilots like you in every generation, and I've felled every last one," how stupid does that sound? And yet, how cool is it? Don't forget the DLC where the commander of a submarine that sat at the bottom of the ocean for two years surfaces and wants to end the war by destroying the countries that are actually fighting.

The game looks and sounds amazing throughout. A lot of the detail in close quarters fighting can be lost given the speeds you're moving at, but when you get close up flashes of hitting a target with a missile it feels all the more real and impressive for it. For once, saying the sky looks good in a game is actually a legitimate compliment. Flying in and around clouds is a genuinely immersive experience, and I think this graphical realism helps you forget you're in a plane that's carrying 150 missiles. Music has always been a big part of the Ace Combat series too and here it's... well, there are extended 30 minute versions of each mission's soundtrack on YouTube and I'm pretty sure I've listened to them all. Several times. If you think you've watched or played something with an epic orchestral score adding to the sense of occasion, you've not played this. I would have liked a photo mode, or more in-depth controls with the post-mission replays, to show this off a bit better, but this doesn't detract from the experience as it's happening.

Reading back what I've written so far, I think I've undersold the story a bit. Although the characters and setting can feel confusing at times there's a consistent underlying sentiment to the story which I think has become more relevant in the years since the game's release. Whichever one of Osea, Usea or Erusea it is you're fighting against have been developing automated drones to do their fighting. They've been gathering information from a top pilot and putting that into these small drones which are launched from containers or from the massive Arsenal Bird aircraft which occasionally show up in missions. Nobody likes this. All the characters repeat how bad drones are, how planes are meant to be flown by humans.

In a lot of the online discourse and reviews for this game (I'd recommend 'An Incorrect Summary of Ace Combat 7' on YouTube much more than anything I've written) the Arsenal Birds and the AI drones are jokingly compared to Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk, but I think there's a legitimate comparison to be made. Consider how much the world has changed since early 2019. Consider how dependent you probably are on technology. All of that's only going one way. Maybe I'm cynical, maybe I'm scared, but I have enjoyed my time with a game which champions human individuality and capability over mechanical, automated, technological output.

Thinking about it, I suppose Ace Combat games are quite the unique niche. How many games are there about aerial warfare? Tom Clancy tried it and failed. Project Wingman exists but from what I gather the missions are quite repetitive, although it's a first time effort from its creators so you can give them some leeway. Skies Unknown is the sort of game that lots of people would say they want to play. It looks great. The gameplay is challenging enough to feel properly rewarding when you master it. The music, dialogue and characterisation all combine to make everything you do feel genuinely epic and important. You can play the full campaign as many times as you like and never really get tired of it, and if you do that while trying different planes and loadouts you'll discover some new details that make you appreciate it all even more.

The best praise I can finish on is that I'm invested enough in this as a concept now to actually consider buying Ace Combat 8 as soon as it releases. It's fantastic. Give it a try if you can.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond-5.5/10

Honestly the only pros are the return to top down is a welcome reversion, music is solid, and the game is a faithful remake.

But the last pro is also it's biggest con. They insisted on being strictly faithful to the original Diamond and Pearl games instead of adding content from Platinum which is a creative excuse to be lazy. This game adds the least amount of new content in a Pokemon remake since Leafgreen and Firered. Like I'm really quite stunned at how little they attempted to add. This is as big a cash grab in a clear cash grab series as I've ever seen and I was stupid enough to dump 60 dollars on it.

Reactions: Mikeaveli

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Deathloop - 3/10

I'm going to preface this by saying I couldn't even be bothered enough to finish it.

I don't remember the last time I was this disappointed in a game. I've loved all of Arkane's previous titles but this one just falls so short. I ended up stopping and giving up about 4 hours in because I just don't have the desire to go on...

The one thing that I thought was great in the game was the writing and voice acting for Colt and Julianna. It definitely kept me going early and it was fun listening to their interactions. The beginning is kind of fun because it has some Arkane feel to it but it wears off quickly.

There are 4 maps in this entire game. Your end goal is to kill all the visionaries in a single day. The most enjoyable part of Arkane games to me is the map design of them. Missions in Dishonored for example felt amazing because you'd be exploring a single mission for an hour going through a huge map whatever way you see fit. This almost feels more like several smaller maps within a bigger hub. So there are 4 actual maps. Within each map, there's a few key buildings that visionaries will hang out it depending on the time of day. When you go into a day to hunt down a visionary, you're really just focusing on that one building and none of them are all that big. Since they're small, you don't have as many paths available and missions end rather quickly.

In addition to going to these key buildings to kill visionaries, you also want to search them for clues. Interactable items don't really stick out much so you have to run around looking at every shelf and table for that one piece of paper you can read. It gets tiring and also incredibly punishing if you miss one. Everything you do read just gets added to your log so the level select screen at each part of the day can prompt you where to go next. The other troubling thing with that is that they don't tell you what you did already. Haven't played for a week and you forgot if you killed a visionary there already? Too bad, you'll find out when you start the map and realize you've done it already...

The whole game just feels like a chore. Most of your time within a map will be reaching the building with your target. Then you'll get through that building relatively quickly because it's not very big. Finally, you get to have the fun of running up to every single piece of paper in a room to see if there's something you can interact with to proceed the story. There's no warning if you miss it, it's not very obvious, so it's very possible you'll miss some key story progression and have to replay that map just for intel later on.

Overall, I'd skip this one. I'm disappointed I spent any money on it to be honest. It just wasn't very fun. This is going into my small pile of games I couldn't even enjoy enough to see the end of.

Reactions: Osprey

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
BCkMJko.jpg

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (PS4, 2019)

Despite being an long-running, popular and generally well regarded series, I had never heard of Ace Combat until the free to play instalment of Infinity was released in 2014. I ended up playing it a few years later still with no knowledge of the series. I loved it. There was a brief single player mode but the main focus was multiplayer co-op missions which all involved destroying an assortment of targets to achieve an objective. I enjoyed it so much I started paying attention to the development of Ace Combat 7, although not enough attention to realise it wouldn't have an online mode anything like Infinity.

Since this game carries at 7 at the end of its name, you might imagine there's 6 games' worth of story preceding it. You'd be wrong, because Ace Combat Zero is in there somewhere too. It's no matter though, because Skies Unknown is a new story and after finishing the game from beginning to end at least six times I'm still not entirely sure I understand it. The game world exists in an alternative version of Earth called 'Strangereal,' with the same things you'd expect on Earth - some continents, lots of people, and a seemingly endless desire to spend lots of money on wars.

Most of that money is spent on aircraft. Judging by the amount of aircraft you shoot down and the amount of missiles your planes can carry, this world must bankrupt itself on a weekly basis. At the start of each mission you pick a plane, its parts and weapon, then you go up and carry out the mission. Planes and parts are unlocked from the Aircraft Tree, you earn money to buy them from doing missions and playing online. Most of the planes are real, but there are some concepts you can unlock once you get far enough and there's lots of DLC if you really like the game. This all works fine. Honestly, I've played the game so much I can't really describe details like this objectively anymore, they're just so commonplace to me I'm struggling with detailing how it all works.

Since this is Ace Combat 7 there's a lot of information from previous games that's just sort of assumed knowledge not only on behalf of the player, but the game world itself. Locations and characters are included which I only tangentially recognise from my time with Infinity, and even when I've played the game several times there's still a lingering sense of familiarity which I don't quite get. It's not helped by the way the game's story is actually presented. There are cutscenes between missions which tie together different characters and their narrative threads, but none of these are brought up in missions. Missions themselves feature the other pilots talking over the radio and there's personality there if you look hard enough, but it's quite a strange way of story-telling to try and get used to.

The missions themselves don't help with this as there seems to be very little relation to anything in the world that you're told about. You're shown maps of Strangereal and told you're fighting here in order to do this, you go up and... you shoot at planes. Or you shoot at ground targets. The war's raging, then the war ends. You did that. Perhaps there's a contemporary social commentary about how detached aerial warfare is in here. Destroying dozens of targets you can't see or properly understand starts, perpetuates and ends a war, against an enemy you never see. Again, it takes the several playthroughs I've managed to actually feel as if what you're doing has any impact or significance, but thankfully, it does. I suppose it feels like a game and a story which actively rewards both repeated plays and the player really trying to engage with everything they're experience.

I'm not really sure how to describe the experience of playing the story without just recanting all of it as it happened. I realise too that my previous paragraph doesn't really sound like a positive reaction. I don't know how to explain how that format can produce numerous characters, situations and personalities that are completely unique and memorable, but it does. Since playing Skies Unknown I did some digging online into the fan community and this helped me realise how good the story and characters were. Missions where you're fighting against an old man with twelve names who's in a plane with a railgun on it and he's bragging about how "there have been pilots like you in every generation, and I've felled every last one," how stupid does that sound? And yet, how cool is it? Don't forget the DLC where the commander of a submarine that sat at the bottom of the ocean for two years surfaces and wants to end the war by destroying the countries that are actually fighting.

The game looks and sounds amazing throughout. A lot of the detail in close quarters fighting can be lost given the speeds you're moving at, but when you get close up flashes of hitting a target with a missile it feels all the more real and impressive for it. For once, saying the sky looks good in a game is actually a legitimate compliment. Flying in and around clouds is a genuinely immersive experience, and I think this graphical realism helps you forget you're in a plane that's carrying 150 missiles. Music has always been a big part of the Ace Combat series too and here it's... well, there are extended 30 minute versions of each mission's soundtrack on YouTube and I'm pretty sure I've listened to them all. Several times. If you think you've watched or played something with an epic orchestral score adding to the sense of occasion, you've not played this. I would have liked a photo mode, or more in-depth controls with the post-mission replays, to show this off a bit better, but this doesn't detract from the experience as it's happening.

Reading back what I've written so far, I think I've undersold the story a bit. Although the characters and setting can feel confusing at times there's a consistent underlying sentiment to the story which I think has become more relevant in the years since the game's release. Whichever one of Osea, Usea or Erusea it is you're fighting against have been developing automated drones to do their fighting. They've been gathering information from a top pilot and putting that into these small drones which are launched from containers or from the massive Arsenal Bird aircraft which occasionally show up in missions. Nobody likes this. All the characters repeat how bad drones are, how planes are meant to be flown by humans.

In a lot of the online discourse and reviews for this game (I'd recommend 'An Incorrect Summary of Ace Combat 7' on YouTube much more than anything I've written) the Arsenal Birds and the AI drones are jokingly compared to Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk, but I think there's a legitimate comparison to be made. Consider how much the world has changed since early 2019. Consider how dependent you probably are on technology. All of that's only going one way. Maybe I'm cynical, maybe I'm scared, but I have enjoyed my time with a game which champions human individuality and capability over mechanical, automated, technological output.

Thinking about it, I suppose Ace Combat games are quite the unique niche. How many games are there about aerial warfare? Tom Clancy tried it and failed. Project Wingman exists but from what I gather the missions are quite repetitive, although it's a first time effort from its creators so you can give them some leeway. Skies Unknown is the sort of game that lots of people would say they want to play. It looks great. The gameplay is challenging enough to feel properly rewarding when you master it. The music, dialogue and characterisation all combine to make everything you do feel genuinely epic and important. You can play the full campaign as many times as you like and never really get tired of it, and if you do that while trying different planes and loadouts you'll discover some new details that make you appreciate it all even more.

The best praise I can finish on is that I'm invested enough in this as a concept now to actually consider buying Ace Combat 8 as soon as it releases. It's fantastic. Give it a try if you can.

Not enough people appreciate the greatness of this series. Can't wait to see what Project Aces does for 8.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Sekiro : Shadows Die Twice - 10/10

OK, I'm sure it's not perfect, but it's my favorite game I've played.

Coming from Bloodborne, I really like what FromSoft did with just about everything and I loved Bloodborne. In Bloodborne, there are a bunch of different weapons, but I ended up upgrading my favorite one or two and that's basically all I used because...well...it was the most powerful. In Sekiro, you're upgrading the Prosthetic Tool with different types of weapons that all have their uses and have a more noticeable effect on the game than just hitting harder. Same with the XP upgrading system. You're mostly buying skills that you can actually use and not just increasing each stat by a point here and a point there. Those things kept the game fresh IMO. Exploration has more fun with the grappling hook, better jumping, swimming, etc. There was a story that I could follow without having to look everything up or reading menu screens. There's still some lore for those that like that stuff, but not so much that it makes the story impossible to follow. The art direction compared to Bloodborne was different. I don't prefer one to the other, both are awesome, but even just changing it up was cool. Well placed checkpoints for the most part. You don't have to farm for things like healing items in a game that you die a ton. You have the choice of stealth or to go in guns blazing...or I guess swords clanging.

The star of the show is obviously the combat, though. As others have said, there is a steep learning curve. Then you start getting into a groove. Then the last couple of bosses test everything you've got. You get the same type of rush as beating Bloodborne bosses, but I like that they saved their toughest bosses for the end. I feel like Bloodborne almost front loaded their bosses and then they got easier as the game went on. Even though the bosses were mostly humanoids, I like that you still had to kind of figure out which bosses you need to block/deflect, which bosses you need to dodge, which bosses you need to chip away at their health, which bosses you need to run around like a madman, which weapons or skills work best. Going into it, I thought it was all about deflecting. It's true if you don't learn to deflect, you're going to have a bad time, but there is still some dodging, jumping, and countering involved. It was combined very well and I can't imagine anyone topping it. You might make something different that is even as good, but I can't imagine it being better.

Some minor nitpicks. Too many consumable items that I don't think I ever used. Nothing like going out of your way to get an item and oh cool, look, more ceramic shards. Neat. Maybe other people found uses for them, but there was a handful of things I don't think added anything to the game. Having to skip the cut scene every time going into certain boss fights was annoying and only made more annoying by how many times you die. I have mixed feelings on the pause button. On one hand, it's good to be able to pause. On the other, it does take away from the intensity if you pause during a fight. I know you could just not use it, but if it's there, and you're on your 20th attempt at a boss, you've got to have some serious will power to not use it. I also have mixed feelings on no stamina. On one hand, some bosses would be near impossible with stamina limitations. It also makes exploration and getting from point A to B much better. On the other, I did find myself a few times running around in a circle trying to get some separations to heal :laugh:. Lastly, f*** the Demon of Hatred. I get that is kind of FromSoft's sick sense of humor, but I don't think it worked. You spend the whole game learning to deflect and then all of a sudden you're in Bloodborne. I also think some of the hit boxes were a little wonky, especially on his charge attack. I like the challenge of the bosses, but that one was not fun to get through.

Overall, if you like a challenge, you should play Sekiro.

Now on to NG+ to get one step closer to that meaningless Platinum Trophy that I for some reason still want!

Last edited:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Forza Horizon 5 - 9/10

Finished the storyline thru the hall of fame offline, and some of the side stuff. Beautiful visually, tight gameplay, and an interesting storyline that kept me invested, even with me just being a casual racing game player at best. Excellent game that I would think anyone can enjoy

Reactions: tacogeoff

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Hotshot Racing - 6/10

Hotshot Racing simulates the classic days of arcade racing. I'm talking about when 3D racing games first became a thing and it does a fine job at it. Everything is low poly to fit into the aesthetic. The driving mechanics feel pretty good.

My main complaint about this game is the content. There are 20 tracks all of which a lap time will not surpass a minute. Most races are 3 laps with only the last cup having 4 laps each. You'll complete the entire career mode in about an hour. There are some interesting arcade modes if you want to jump on for a race to kill a few minutes.

My main complaint is the AI. They're very rubberband-y. It does make races a bit more interesting but you find yourself just sticking with the pack, saving your boosts, to use them all on the last half of the final lap to pull away and make sure you cross the finish line first. Furthermore, it's like the AI are driving concrete blocks on wheels that are just as fast as you. You can slam into them and it won't do anything but they'll be able to spin you out with ease and it gets very frustrating when they actually get you to crash to a dead stop.

Overall, there's not much content and the AI can be very frustrating. If you're looking for a game like this, wait for a sale or look for something else. You'll probably find yourself done with it after an hour or so.

Gunfire Reborn - 9/10

Gunfire Reborn is a roguelite FPS and it's a ton of fun, especially in a co-op. It's very polished and very rarely do you run into any issues whether it's bugs in the game or even with netplay. IT's just all around super well done.

While it's an FPS and the gunplay is solid, the real fun comes from the skills in this game. Every character gets two and you can combine them with your guns to deal massive damage. There are so many items you can pick up or drop to get the ideal build going if you mix and match them to make yourself incredibly overpowered.

In traditional roguelite fashion, you'll unlock soul essences as you progress which is an in game currency to permanently power up your characters. You may feel a bit weak in your first playthrough but becoming more powerful through the talent tree and learning the game will make you fly through the game. About 30 hours in, I've been rather consistently beating the game at elite difficulty and just about ready to jump into Nightmare. There's another difficulty beyond nightmare as well.

Overall, the game is a ton of fun, especially with friends. If you like shooters and want a good co-op game or even just a single player roguelite, definitely pick this up!

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Got my platinum for Sekiro.

Farming skill points got real boring, real fast, so I ended up just finishing NG++ and started NG+++ without Kuro's charm. That shit made it waaaaaaay more difficult. Like insanely difficult. You have to basically be perfect with your deflects or else you still take damage and/or perfect with your dodges or else get smashed by the bosses. I got past Genichiro and then said "f*** this" and took back Kuro's charm for the Guardian Ape and the Snake Eyes before Mibu Village. By that point, I had enough skill points to just continue on and by the time I got up to Owl, I had enough skill points for the platinum. I might finish out NG+++ because that's what was intended with the different endings and the bosses are still fun.

If you want to go for the platinum, I'd suggest doing the intended 4 playthroughs.
If you're a masochist, I'd suggest doing any of the NG+'s without Kuro's charm.

Reactions: Andrei79

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm playing old Zelda games through in order right now because I never got that far into BOTW before I realized "For as much as I love this series I've only ever finished like 3 games in it."

So the most recent one was The Minish Cap (GBA originally, played on Wii U Virtual Console)

You can tell it was made by Capcom and not Nintendo in house because it feels just a little bit "off". It's charming and bright and there are some cool ideas and gear, but it's either not challenging at all or fake-difficult with pissy, frustrating, dick move mechanics that get you caught in loops of failure. Like almost all the bosses in the game are fairly straightforward, but the final form of the final boss has you dodging an attack to reflect his other attack back at him, a standard Zelda boss trope. Only here you have to use a duplication power that's a core mechanic of the game so you can reflect 4 shots back simultaneously. Problem is that the window to dodge the prior attack is super narrow especially when your 4 clones align horizontally and you have to move horizontally to slip between the bolts. And for the first and only time in the game if a clone gets hit they all disperse (normal) and Link takes damage too (never happens otherwise). And there's not enough time to activate the clones after the initial volley but before the reflectable attack. So you're stuck failing to avoid the first blast, getting your hearts whittled down, and having to start the process over again until you luck into slipping through at just the right time. And that's only if the boss doesn't set up for the volley attack in an impossible place like hanging off the side of the pit.

And then you volley the attacks back except for whatever reason they were misalgned slightly and one rockets off at an angle, misses its target and the whole thing was for naught.

I never felt challenged by the game at all until the final boss where it was more "oh my god are you kidding me?" stupidity than "man, I need to find a better way to approach this".

Probably a 6/10 for all the stuff I liked. I just wish it was better. This might be the only time where I'm actually glad a Zelda game was so short (there's only like 5 or 6 dungeons instead of the normal 8+)

Still, its Wind Waker style aesthetic in 2d sprites is nice and I appreciated the fact that it had a bustling castle down and that Link and Zelda are acquainted/friends at the start instead of only meeting during the course of the game like usual. This is probably the most "alive" I've ever felt that the core of Hyrule has been.

Next up I'm backtracking a game to play Wind Waker HD (I skipped it just because I wanted something shorter and thought I might play Minish Cap on the Wii U's handheld/gamepad mode instead of on my TV. I ended up on the TV anyway)

Since I haven't rated any of the previous games here I won't go into lengthy detail about each one but the others that I've beaten since I started this about a year ago:

1) OG Legend of Zelda (Mini NES port): 7/10 - classic and clever given the times, but it shows its age and lacks for story and the slightest bit of direction

2) Zelda II: Adventure of Link (Mini NES port): Incomplete - Couldn't do it. I just don't like the side-scrolling nature of the game. I also felt that its combat wasn't satisfying because of that and how small Link's sword reach is.

3) A Link to the Past (Mini SNES port): 10/10 - My all-time favorite Zelda game and one of my favorite games ever. It's iconic and rich and while it's not flawless, it's about as close as I think you can get

4) Link's Awakening (3DS VC port): 8/10 - The story is the most unique and the mechanics depart the most, and in interesting ways, but there was a little too much running from one side of the island to the other in palces.

5) Ocarina of Time (3DS remake): 10/10 - Neck and neck with LttP for the top spot in the series. Yes, it shows some of the flaws of being the guinea pig for 3D Zelda, but it's still great

6) Majora's Mask (3DS remake): 6/10 - Lots of people gush over the fact that this is the darkest and most mature story in a Zelda series, but man the time loop mechanic became tiring after a while when you had to rush to complete some things in time or found that all your work would not persist through to the next loop and you were mostly doing it just for the completion points.

7) Oracle of Seasons (3DS VC port): 6/10 - Like Minish Cap its feel betrays its non-Nintendo production as it's not as tight on controls as other games, tries to step to far outside Zelda conventions at times, and feels like a really polished fan-game instead of a core entry. The season mechanic is cool but a little finicky because of how quickly/randomly it can change away/run out. The bosses were particularly disappointing, especially the end ones.

8) Oracle of Ages (3DS VC port): 4/10 - The worse of the two Oracle games. The time travel mechanic should be cool because I love that stuff but too often it becomes a pain in the ass to navigate and doesn't do enough "change the past to effect the future" things that I would expect from using it in this fashion.

9 was the Minish Cap, which I talked about above.

I also played Link Between Worlds a few years ago when I first got it. It's probably an 8/10 with LTTP nostalgia, a 7/10 overall.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Halo Infinite - Single player campaign - 8/10

Solid game, plays great, looks great, sounds great, good voice work. I had no bugs or glitches so no complaints about anything technically. The open world setup was a nice change for the series, giving a little more content to stretch things out along with the main storyline. I've seen people complaining or unhappy with the storyline a bit, but I thought it was fine. Granted I haven't really gone in depth with the stories from the old games and they never really stood out to me to begin with. to me they were all pretty much Space Marine guy defends mankind against aliens who want to wipe them out, which was good enough for me. Glad it was on game pass, while it was a good game, I don't know that it would have been worth the $60 to me since I don't do any of the online stuff.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Guardians of the Galaxy. A solid 8, maybe but it up a half point or a point if you love the IP, maybe knock it the same if you don't care about the films. Great story, fun but nothing too innovative gameplay wise. While very different games in design, it feels like Fallen Order in the sense, how much you like the IP the game is based on, that you might overlook some flaws.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
QdTIVxj.jpg

Metro: Last Light (PS4, 2017 - originally PS3, 2013)

I lied recently when reviewing Metro 2033. I said I'd not played any games based on books. I didn't actually check, because if I had I would have remembered Spec Ops: The Line. A frankly masterful piece of story-telling and characterisation, based on a work by a writer I've never cared for. The sort of intelligent video game which just doesn't really exist. Also with Mogwai on the soundtrack. Fantastic.

Last Light is, functionally, exactly the same as 2033. Every aspect of gameplay is the same. 2033 works so this is fine, but when you play both games back to back like I have it's really stark how stale the game feels as a result. I don't necessarily think anything should have been changed, but given the premise of the story there could have been one or two additions to freshen things up. The game starts with you, Artyom, living in D6, the secret military stash of weapons, food and equipment he found in 2033. Surely there's something in there?

In lieu of saying anything else too detailed about the game, I'm going to describe two comparable setpieces from both games, and let you decide what that says about Last Light.
In 2033 there's a level where you're above ground, moving through the ruins of Moscow after being split up from the guy you were travelling with and trying to get back to him. There's a building you have to go into which you can approach from different directions - I didn't find this part until my second playthrough. You go into a ground floor room and as you look for resources or a door to go through you'll turn around and see a Lurker, roaring and snarling at you. When I saw this I immediately shot it. I then discovered three small, pink, hairless baby Lurkers behind it. In a game with a subtle moral choice mechanic, where characters frequently tell you to be thoughtful and not to act rashly, I killed a mother protecting her children without even thinking about it. If you do stop to look at the situation, there's some ammo and health on the ground in front of her which you can't get to without making her attack.

In Last Light there's a mini-boss fight in a large open area. At this point you've teamed up with one of the mystical Dark Ones you were trying to kill in 2033, a small child who follows you about the centre of Moscow telling you what's going on. At the start of the fight he says "she's protecting her children." A huge armoured creature called the Bear then appears, and fights by charging at you. If you dodge her when this happens some Lurkers will jump on her and expose her back, which glows red. You then empty a clip at this spot, and the process repeats. This happens four times before the fight ends, and she charges through a wall at the side of the area which opens a path for you to go continue through. When you go through you find the Bear lying on the ground, making pained sounds, with three Lurkers on top swiping at her. You can shoot the Lurkers.

Last Light has a lot of DLC levels which let you play as some different factions from the Metro universe. These are quite fun, though there's a big variance in terms of length. Some you'll finish in ten minutes, some could take hours if you did them legitimately. It's something different and I like DLC in this style, offering something that really fleshes out the game world. It's a shame this is really the only part of the game that has that sense of imagination or interest about it.

I don't really have anything else to say. I'm not even going to mention the inexplicably detailed female breast animations or the final mission which resembled the end of Modern Warfare 3 where you get tanked up with the most powerful weapons and armour possible and just shoot waves of enemies. I suppose by this point I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

Reactions: Beezers Mask

Beezers Mask

Oct 5, 2021
QdTIVxj.jpg

Metro: Last Light (PS4, 2017 - originally PS3, 2013)

I lied recently when reviewing Metro 2033. I said I'd not played any games based on books. I didn't actually check, because if I had I would have remembered Spec Ops: The Line. A frankly masterful piece of story-telling and characterisation, based on a work by a writer I've never cared for. The sort of intelligent video game which just doesn't really exist. Also with Mogwai on the soundtrack. Fantastic.

Last Light is, functionally, exactly the same as 2033. Every aspect of gameplay is the same. 2033 works so this is fine, but when you play both games back to back like I have it's really stark how stale the game feels as a result. I don't necessarily think anything should have been changed, but given the premise of the story there could have been one or two additions to freshen things up. The game starts with you, Artyom, living in D6, the secret military stash of weapons, food and equipment he found in 2033. Surely there's something in there?

In lieu of saying anything else too detailed about the game, I'm going to describe two comparable setpieces from both games, and let you decide what that says about Last Light.
In 2033 there's a level where you're above ground, moving through the ruins of Moscow after being split up from the guy you were travelling with and trying to get back to him. There's a building you have to go into which you can approach from different directions - I didn't find this part until my second playthrough. You go into a ground floor room and as you look for resources or a door to go through you'll turn around and see a Lurker, roaring and snarling at you. When I saw this I immediately shot it. I then discovered three small, pink, hairless baby Lurkers behind it. In a game with a subtle moral choice mechanic, where characters frequently tell you to be thoughtful and not to act rashly, I killed a mother protecting her children without even thinking about it. If you do stop to look at the situation, there's some ammo and health on the ground in front of her which you can't get to without making her attack.

In Last Light there's a mini-boss fight in a large open area. At this point you've teamed up with one of the mystical Dark Ones you were trying to kill in 2033, a small child who follows you about the centre of Moscow telling you what's going on. At the start of the fight he says "she's protecting her children." A huge armoured creature called the Bear then appears, and fights by charging at you. If you dodge her when this happens some Lurkers will jump on her and expose her back, which glows red. You then empty a clip at this spot, and the process repeats. This happens four times before the fight ends, and she charges through a wall at the side of the area which opens a path for you to go continue through. When you go through you find the Bear lying on the ground, making pained sounds, with three Lurkers on top swiping at her. You can shoot the Lurkers.

Last Light has a lot of DLC levels which let you play as some different factions from the Metro universe. These are quite fun, though there's a big variance in terms of length. Some you'll finish in ten minutes, some could take hours if you did them legitimately. It's something different and I like DLC in this style, offering something that really fleshes out the game world. It's a shame this is really the only part of the game that has that sense of imagination or interest about it.

I don't really have anything else to say. I'm not even going to mention the inexplicably detailed female breast animations or the final mission which resembled the end of Modern Warfare 3 where you get tanked up with the most powerful weapons and armour possible and just shoot waves of enemies. I suppose by this point I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.
I was thinking about picking up exodus but I haven’t played the first two games. Do you think it is worth it to play them now? Also how long are the campaigns?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I was thinking about picking up exodus but I haven’t played the first two games. Do you think it is worth it to play them now? Also how long are the campaigns?
My review of 2033 is on the last few pages. I'd definitely recommend that and Last Light is, technically, more of the same. I've not played Exodus but I know it's a bit different gameplay-wise, it's more open world. You can usually get 2033 and Last Light bundled and on sale. I don't know what platform you're on but the three games together are 70% off on the PSN store right now.

Both of them took me around 20 hours to get all the trophies, that was doing two playthroughs plus some clean-up in chapter select. Last Light has a bit more content with the DLCs but they're a few hours at best.

Beezers Mask

Oct 5, 2021
My review of 2033 is on the last few pages. I'd definitely recommend that and Last Light is, technically, more of the same. I've not played Exodus but I know it's a bit different gameplay-wise, it's more open world. You can usually get 2033 and Last Light bundled and on sale. I don't know what platform you're on but the three games together are 70% off on the PSN store right now.

Both of them took me around 20 hours to get all the trophies, that was doing two playthroughs plus some clean-up in chapter select. Last Light has a bit more content with the DLCs but they're a few hours at best.
Great. I think I’ll pick these up to play in the future before Exodus. I’m on Xbox so I will have to check out the store

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Great. I think I’ll pick these up to play in the future before Exodus. I’m on Xbox so I will have to check out the store
2033 and Last Light are bundled together as "Metro Redux" that's usually on sale for very little on PlayStation, definitely worth it at that price.

Reactions: Beezers Mask

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
ihh4Svg.jpg

Horizon Chase Turbo (PS4, 2018)

The first racing game I remember playing is the original Super Mario Kart for the SNES. The second racing game I remember playing was the original V-Rally for the Game Boy Color, which was similar in style to classic arcade racing with your car in the middle of the screen and the course coming up ahead of you, and a constant horizon line separating the course from the background. This effectively describes Horizon Chase Turbo, only since it's on PS4 there's a bit more content and a bit more refinement of the formula from the 80s and 90s.

Structurally it's a pretty standard arcade racing game. You have a range of cars to choose from and unlock as you play through the different game modes, with the cars having different stats affecting how they drive. For the most part there isn't really any choice to make, you pick the best handling car you have and you win every race easily. There's enough variety in the cars and enough obvious inspiration from real life models as well as pop-culture to have something for everyone though, so if you want to drive a Lamborghini or Mr. Bean's Mini, you can.

For what's effectively an indie game with a pretty limited premise for its genre, the variety of tracks is outstanding. In the main World Tour game mode there are twelve real world locations with nine or ten tracks in each. Every track is unique and every track feels unique. Some are fast, some are challenging, some are awkward and annoying but there is no feeling of repetition. That's even before you get to the design of the backgrounds and scenery which is even better. The locations the tracks are set in are varied enough that there's a wide range of possibilities even within locations, so the art and design always keeps you engaged. Throw in the final fact that there are some tracks which are copies of real racing circuits, and for the completely sad like me you're never going to get tired of racing on a new track. The same can be said for the game's soundtrack, which only occasionally gets irritating.

Game modes are where things falter slightly. World Tour is the main focus and it works well. You progress through each location with tracks getting slightly more complex as you go. In each location there's an upgrade race which you can win to apply boosts to specific aspects of your cars, so races get faster as you go too. That works great. Then you have Tournament mode, which has groups of four races together with points awarded at the end of each. This sounds like a nice twist but the AI always finishes in the same order, so the only chance you have of winning is to finish first in almost every race with a very slim margin for error. The other game mode is Endurance, which is a massive tournament of 12, 36 or 109 races in standard tournament fashion but without the constant AI finishes, so a much higher margin for error. I feel like there was more potential than "Races," "Races but with points" and "Lots of races but with points," and by the time you get to the end of Endurance you'll be a bit fed up of all those lovely tracks and cars.

I should point out here one thing against the game. World Tour mode made the game crash. A lot. Probably at least 25% of my World Tour races finished with the game crashing. It only happened in that game mode though, nowhere else.

Any racing game lives and dies by its gameplay and Horizon Chase Turbo excels here too. Although corners can come up suddenly there's a slight steering assistance which means you only really need to lift off the throttle to avoid hitting other cars or obstacles at the side of the road as long as you still steer into the corner. It's accessible enough for pretty much everyone, but still engaging enough to be a challenge once cars are fully upgraded. You can also use nitro for the occasional boost if you need to make an overtake easier, so tactics can come into play too if you're really struggling to win a race. I think the only aspect of gameplay which I didn't like was the ability to get an acceleration boost if you time your engine revving properly. Races begin from a standing start and if you time it right you get a nice speed boost... right into the back of the car in front of you, which slows you down. If that's the biggest gameplay complaint I have after at least 25 hours, the game's done something right.

Actually that isn't, I've remembered another. Races aren't what you could call 'scripted' but they're not really natural either. If you go through a race normally without hitting anything and successfully overtaking every car first time you'll almost always be in a position to win the race by the end. If you get a really lucky start though and end up, say, top five after the first couple of corners you'll find the AI are more likely to overtake or hit the back of you, as if there's a set point for when you should have overtaken each car. This doesn't guarantee you a win each time but once you notice it races can feel less skill-dependent than racing games really should be, and that's a shame.

I decided to play this now after DLC was recently released. The game is made by a Brazilian developer and if there's one thing you can guarantee about Brazilian motor racing fans, it's a reverence of Ayrton Senna. 'Senna Forever' is a fitting name for the DLC then and I'll quickly sum up how good this is. £4.99 and you get 11 new tracks, 30 new cars, a refined tournament mode with three difficulty levels and a 5-stage recreation of Senna's F1 career making use of all that content. And part of the money raised goes towards his charitable foundation which provides education for poor Brazilian children.

The DLC is successful too for a similar reason to the base game. It's just so... charming. The pop culture references and such with the normal cars are nice, but driving facsimiles of 80s and 90s Formula 1 cars, teams and drivers is just another level. I got to drive Michael Schumacher's first F1 car! I used his helmet and everything! While buying books and pencils for some poor children! Why can't all games be like this?

I can't be certain of the time I put into Horizon Chase Turbo, but with base game and DLC, call it at least 30 hours. I didn't get sick of it. I enjoyed almost every aspect of it. I think even people who've never played a racing game in their life could play this, enjoy it and be good at it. Is there anything else I need to say?

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Bugsnax - 8/10

Interesting little game, you play as a reporter traveling to an island to interview a famous adventurer/explorer about her discovery of Bugsnax - fruits & veggies with animal like properties that transform the person who eats them. The explorer and her followers go missing after a earthquake and you must track everyone down to return them to the village and complete tasks to get them to return, some fun adventuring and light puzzles, I finished the game in about 11 hours, doing the main story and about half the side stuff. Though it looks very cute and whimsical, there are some innuendo and adultish themes and it does get somewhat dark

Overall a good game that is a change of pace from most others out there and it is short enough to complete in a week or so

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
White Shadows - 5/10

This caught my eye when I saw a puzzle platformer with a neat aesthetic. It reminded me a bit of Limbo with how dark the world was. The overall theme was interesting enough but the game itself just feels a bit plain. The story is all visual and has a good creepy/sad vibe to it but the overall gameplay is just bland. There are hardly any puzzles in it and they're all very easy. It's like the puzzles are designed for kids bu the theme is designed for adults so I'm not sure who they're trying to appeal to. The mechanics overall are fine and the game is short. It can be completed in probably 2 hours. Overall, I'd suggest skipping this one unless you want an easy game to get every achievement for.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Demon's Souls (PS3 version) - 8.5/10.

It's an excellent game, but you can really see how much they improved on it throughout the years. The Souls series earned its reputation as tough, but fair. This one had a lot less of that and more tedious levels, that were unforgiving but not in a good way. It's sort of strange. It's likely the easiest Souls, but also the most rage inducing I've played because of all the cheapness. That said, the combat/gameplay was excellent as is par for the course with From. The worldbuilding, art direction and lore were all top notch as well. Really enjoyed Boletaria as a whole. All in all, I enjoyed it, but for anyone wanting to get into Fromsoft games, this isn't the one I would recommend. If it had Dark Souls 3/Bloodborne/Sekiro's level of polish, it would have been amazing. It was still fun seeing wher it all started.

Reactions: pistolpete11

heatnikki

Dec 18, 2018
Quiet Life: Old Man’s Journey. It's a soul-searching puzzle adventure game, pretty entertaining. Not so long ago I found best mobile vpn for android to protect my data whila playing. It also provides a high level of security. Useful app for all gamers.

Last edited:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Condemned: Criminal Origins 8/10 - rating based on it being released in 2005

I had it when it first came out, played partway thru and quit and never finished, so over 15 years later I decided to right that wrong.

You play as an FBI agent hunting a serial killer who sort of frames you for the killing of 2 cops, so you have to try to clear your name before the bureau gets you.

It's a first person game but not a FPS, it definitely feels primitive at this point, you have to do some detective work to track the killer while fighting off the bad guys who are junkies and crazy vagrants and squatters, there is a little bit of supernatural stuff sprinkled in as your character has visions and flashbacks and there is a bad guy boss demon of sorts at the end.

Not a bad game, but has not aged very well, I remember the sequel being the better of the two, hopefully my memory doesn't deceive me, as that will be on the docket if not next then very soon, will have to dust off the 360 as it was not added to the backwards compatibility list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad