The last few games you beat and rate them IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
State of Decay 2: Juggernaut edition - 7.5/10

Pretty much a continuation of the first one, which isn't a bad thing, but it was nothing groundbreaking or amazing either, decent game, always fun to bash zombies skulls in

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Aragami 2 - 7/10

I played the original Aragami earlier this year before I even knew this one was coming out so I was pretty excited to try 2. The gameplay is very similar and is a solid stealth game but I feel like it overstays its welcome a bit. It's quite a bit longer than the first Aragami but you'll be doing new missions in the same levels. The only difference is you'll start in a different location sometimes and certain areas will be blocked off by a shadow wall. Guards will also be in a different location. It's a ton of fun and you'll be loving the beginning but it ends up feeling like it drags when you're replaying the same maps with different objectives. Unfortunately, that's the majority of the second half of the game. If you really like stealth games, I would definitely recommend giving it a go. I would probably wait for a sale or even buy the first at full price over this one though.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just finished The Forgotten City (on PC and current- and last-gen consoles) and really enjoyed it. It's a first-person dialogue-driven mystery adventure that plays a bit like a Skyrim/Fallout game that takes place in a single city (instead of an open world). In fact, it started out as a Skyrim mod, which I never played. You play as a modern day archeologist who gets transported back in time to a secluded ancient Roman city and must explore, talk to the citizens, get involved with their problems and figure out why a Pompei-like disaster befell the city. Along the way, you learn some things about Roman life and mythology.

It really does feel like a Skyrim/Fallout game when you first arrive in a new, sprawling city and get all kinds of quests, except that there are no stats to level up and you're pretty much forced to play a morally good character because stealing or killing invites the wrath of the gods. You would think that that would take a lot of the fun out, but it's an important part of the story and getting rich and powerful, as you would in an RPG, isn't the goal; solving the mystery is. There's also a time loop element ala The Outer Wilds, such that you start the day over, but retain your knowledge, that you must exploit to prevent some events and solve the mystery. One review called it "Roman Groundhog Day." It's a pretty interesting story with some good twists.

It takes only 6 hours or so to reach an ending, but there are 4 of them. I'm not the kind of gamer who usually keeps playing to achieve other endings after beating a game, but there were so many quests and subplots that went unresolved and must factor into the other endings, so I'm going to reload and try for the other, probably "better" endings. It's a rare game when I'm disappointed that it's over so quickly and really want to keep playing to discover everything.

Anyways, I decided to try the game out in the first place because it has a 96% on Steam and it didn't disappoint. I highly recommend it, especially if you like ancient Rome and mysteries.

Edit: After several more hours, I got the real and "best" ending, called "ending 4 of 4," and it was worth it. Definitely don't stop playing if you get endings 1-3 because you haven't really finished the game yet.

med_the-forgotten-city-10_8d4ef196-fe12-43f8-baa6-885fe44f9232.jpg

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I have to redo my review on Fallen Order.

I was pissed on my last playthrough due to a game breaking bug in the initial stages of Zeffo, right after Bogano.

Wanting to try my new gaming laptops performance, I reinstalled it. I ended up trying it, played past when the game broke last time and just finished beating the last boss.

I played it all the way through on Grandmaster difficulty. As dumb as it sounds, ogdo bogdo was the hardest boss in the game, since I hadnt mastered the combat yet, notably the parry mechanic. Trilla took me 4 tries and the dual weilding Jedi on Dathomir took 5. That said, I thought the game was perfect on that difficulty. Challenging without being impossible.

I didn't mind the story, but it didn't stand out. It was serviceable. The graphics were top notch. The gameplay and exploration is where the game really shines though.

Giving it a 9/10. Fully recommend it to anyone who likes Star Wars, Metroidvanias and Dark souls.

LukeSkywalker

Jan 16, 2021
My playing time has decreased a lot lately, but I just finished Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth – Hacker's Memory. And I just loved it! The game has many flaws (confusing elemental advantages, totally useless map system) but man, did the story just take you away. I didn't always go to the main missions and took my time doing side stuff, but it took me 80 hours to beat the game without stalling to advance. Just advanced when I felt like it. The mission system was great and even though I haven't used a Digimon media in ages(like in ten years at least), it took me back to my childhood.
Really solid game with lots of story arcs! 9/10

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I don't know that I'm ever going to be happy with my attempts to sum up how much this game means to me, but here you go

Lx2j0ff.jpg

Gran Turismo Sport (PS4, 2017)

I've known for about two years that I'd write a review of my time playing Gran Turismo Sport one day. What I'm going to say probably hasn't changed much over that time, it might just have got longer. Of all the games I've ever played and written about at length on the internet there's no question that this is the most important one that means the most to me.

The first Gran Turismo I played was 3. I played this for years then I played Gran Turismo 4 for years too. I played 4 so much my PS2 stopped reading all GT4 discs. I followed the development of Gran Turismo 5 religiously and the disappointment when it came was astonishing. Gran Turismo 6 was a bit of a waste of time and the first time I was genuinely unengaged with one of the games. Hundreds of hours each went into 3, 4 and 5, I finished 6 and pretty much stopped there.

Despite my disappointment with 5, those three games are defining for me in a way I forgot about to an extent after 6. It was around that time I was discovering PlayStation Plus and the amount of games available to me I'd previously never considered. This was both good and bad - my tastes expanded massively as I took in games and genres I'd never been aware of, but it's ultimately led me to being the trophy-chasing, backlog-obsessed weirdo most people who devote time and critical thought to video games nowadays are. I'm not sure which of these I'd prefer, churning my way through dozens of games a year or playing a fraction of that and becoming an expert on every aspect of them.

One thing those three games manage perfectly all these years later is feeling. The recent Gran Turismo 7 trailer featured homages to the opening movies for games 1 to 4, and the memories evoked by that alone are different from anything else I've ever experienced with games. I wouldn't want to count how many times I've watched the inside of the engine of a JGTC Castrol Tom's Supra zoom out to the exterior of the car before Just a Day by Feeder starts and the action starts, cars and tracks that look so much better than anything else in a game at the time. Even now I could listen to a compilation of Gran Turismo background music or sound effects and no matter how long it's been, I'd remember all of it.

I didn't get a PS4 until November 2017, and GT Sport was bundled with it. I knew absolutely nothing about the game at the time, and it's honestly been so long I don't remember how I learned about what was in it. I was so disengaged I remember driving round the Nordschleife wondering if the time of day was changing, but not actually being interested enough to look it up.

Compared to Gran Turismos 1 through 4 and to a lesser extent 5 and 6, GT Sport doesn't have an extensive single player mode where you buy/win cars, tuning and upgrading them to win higher tiers of events against faster cars. It doesn't have license tests educating you in the various aspects of controlling a car and going round a circuit. It has "Mission Challenges" which are even easier than past license tests and which occasionally vary into races, or at least 'pass all these cars in this amount of time.' It has the Circuit Experience, where you have set times to beat over the different sectors of a circuit then the same for a single lap at the end. Over time more traditional single player content was added with a range of races featuring different types of cars. I've long since finished all of them but from what I remember these were characterised by 'rabbit chasing' even more than GT5 and 6 were, where no matter the race there will be one or two cars which are impossibly faster than everything else.

The single player content in GT Sport is largely a waste of time. It exists purely to reward the player with credits to buy cars. Circuit Experience isn't a substitute for just going to a track and doing laps, which you can do whenever you like. You don't learn anything from racing against the AI for two reasons. If you're close to the leading positions in a race, they cheat. They cheat in a way which doesn't actually work, because cars can often go faster than it's actually possible for them to go, and end up flying off track. If you're in evenly matched cars it's arguably even worse, with the AI being incomprehensibly slow during corners and turning in on you any time you try and overtake them in a corner. I've seen it argued that the AI is responsible for people not being able to race cleanly online and there's probably something in that. Then again, if you can race the AI in this game and not win by miles then your own lack of place is probably as much a problem as anything else.

I typed a lot of stuff after this but I wasn't really happy with it. Ultimately all I really need to focus on is saying whether or not I like the game. I've played it regularly for over three years. In that time I've watched streams, videos, talked about it on the internet - I've probably spent as much time watching and reading about the game as I've spent driving. I don't quite remember when it happened, but a point came where I stopped thinking about the game as something I played and just something I did. On a Wednesday and Saturday (plus occasionally some other days) it was race day, and I planned accordingly.

Online racing, or Sport Mode, takes two forms in GT Sport, Daily Races and the FIA Championships. In daily races you can practice as much as you want. Your best time in free practice is the qualifying time you enter a race with, with three races to choose from each week. I'm not as much of a fan of this format as I was in the early days. Originally the three races changed on a daily basis. After about ten months they started changing weekly, and this had benefits and drawbacks. You had more time to practice and learn a race, but so did everybody else. Most crucially though, the repetition of car/track combinations is a long-running joke. Considering Sport Mode is the main point of the game, lots of the games cars barely ever get a look online, and it's a real shame.

The vast majority of my time, and why I like the game so much, is in the FIA races. The box tells me I can "Race in online competitions endorsed by motorsport's governing body, FIA." Rather than free practice and races every twenty minutes, each race has its own dedicated qualifying session before the race starts. This gives the occasion a sense of formality and pressure which alone makes it more enjoyable than the daily races. There are two championships. The Nations Cup has different car choices each race and ranks players predominately by country. The Manufacturer Series sees you pick a manufacturer at the start of their season and only drive their cars.

While I've never challenged the top end of these championships, I've competed regularly in both and improved my driver ratings and standings position each time. I've progressed from using a controller and automatic transmission to a wheel, pedals and manual. Doing the races regularly and watching all of those streams and videos, where top level drivers narrate their races and describe what they're doing and why, has all added up. It might sound obvious that spending years immersing yourself in something will make you better at it, but I'm legitimately proud of the progress I've made, and the fact I can see that is probably the biggest reason for that.

The biggest reason I've thought so highly about this game in all the times I've thought about the day I'd write this review is going from high to low on a race by race basis. I've had good races. I've had races battling for a top ten finish which were harder and more satisfying than wins. I've had ragequits from races where I never wanted to think about the game again. Yet, with the scheduling structure there's always been another race, so after a few days I'm fine, I'm back in and I'm committed to improving and learning.

I could genuinely be here for hours recalling great performances but I'll try and sum up a few of them. I've raced against World Tour drivers who travel(led) the world in Gran Turismo's live events, back when that was a possibility. I've raced against professional sim racers. I've raced against real life GT3 drivers. I've raced against streamers who've been able to have amazing opportunities and make a living because of this game's success. I mean, I've been in the same races against them. I've finished an an S-rank driver for finishing top 10 in my chosen manufacturer (technically this should have happened three times, but I'm not counting). After hundreds of races I became an A-rank driver. After thousands of races I reached the highest rank, A+. While it's hard to compare a competitive online game with a narrative-driven single player experience, the sense of satisfaction and emotional investment I've had from GT Sport is more than anything else I've ever played. The fact I do it on a weekly basis just extends that in a way that can't ever really be matched.

I need to mention my two Nissans somewhere. In the Manufacturer Series you pick a manufacturer and just drive their cars. Ever since I started doing FIA races regularly in August 2018 I've driven for Nissan. The Group 3 GT-R is a pig. It's large, it's heavy, it understeers and oversteers at the same time. It's fast in a straight line but not as fast as it used to be as attempts at balancing the car have slowed it down. It's only in certain situations where this car can succeed but when it does, it feel satisfying in a way nothing else does. At low speeds it has no grip but through high speed corners you throw it in and it just sticks and everything just feels right.

The Group 4 GT-R isn't a real car in the way the (2013) GT3 GT-R is. Most of Group 4 isn't, they're the equivalent of the real life GT4 class but just custom-made for the game. The Gr.4 GT-R is a four wheel drive car. As a result, its front tyres die in every race you ever enter. Its brakes are made of cheese. Its gearing is terrible. It's heavy, it's about eight miles long. It's also a complete tank that's impossible to lose control of because of how big and cumbersome it is. If I didn't have such experience with this car I would never have taken to using a wheel as readily as I have. For whatever sense of satisfaction the Gr.3 car gives me there's arguably more in this, having to drive it in a certain way to manage the tyre wear. Now I can.

The game isn't without its strengths and faults elsewhere. For the first time in Gran Turismo's history there's a livery editor, so you can make and share your own liveries for cars. I love this. I judge players on their livery more than their driving, and I take my own very seriously. I'm not very good at it - some of the liveries you see people make are genuinely unbelievable - but the good ones I have I'm quite proud of. GT7 looks like it's improved some of the interface and options for this feature, so it's good to see that Polyphony recognise the success of it.

As anyone who's played an online game will know, you get people who act like dicks and attempt to disrupt what's going on. A matchmaking based racing game with no damage and bouncy collision physics isn't a good combination. The penalty system has historically been the biggest problem with GT Sport. Assigning blame properly for incidents is a complete nightmare, not helped by the system being changed frequently by a developer which has little direct interaction with players, and which offers no explanations for their changes or the regular complaints players have. When you see how other e-sports platforms interact with their players it makes Polyphony's way of working all the more exasperating. I hope they're able to rectify this properly in the future, but I'm not hopeful.

I feel as if I'm somehow letting myself down by not typing, or not being able to type, thousands of words about the time I've spent playing this game. I think I feel as if I need to somehow complement the time I've put into the game with time justifying it. This is the first and really only game where I've properly felt part of the online community for a multiplayer-based game and that's been a massive part of the game's impact on me. Before I started playing it I had no idea that sim-racing existed. Now I do. I play other sims too and enjoy the feeling of different cars on different tracks in different conditions. Now I take part, although my terrible set-up and playing on console isn't anywhere near serious. None of that matters. I'd like to think I still have time to improve and if GT7 continues this successful online format then hopefully I will. I can't really imagine my life without it, so if that doesn't sum up how important Gran Turismo Sport is to me then I don't know what will.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I got a PS5 during the lockdown. I haven't played video games since PS3 and even then, it was basically just Call of Duty, NHL, and FIFA. I've been playing through some of the title that are included in PS+. Here's my ratings.

God of War - 10/10 - I loved everything about this game. Changing armor sets is a little RPG-y for me, but I don't care. The combat is fantastic. Visually it is amazing. The story is great, albeit a little hard to follow all the lore. It was challenging without being punishing...OK the Valkyrie Queen was a little bit punishing. Giving this out for free so that I buy the next one totally worked on me.

Bloodborne - 9/10 - Again, a little too RPG-y at times for my tastes, but the fast paced combat is fantastic. It's borderline too hard for me, but when I just accepted that you are suppose to die a lot, it got better. When you finally get over the hump and beat the boss, it feels so good. I knocked a point off for the vagueness. I don't want to have to do research to understand what is going on or that I need to take certain steps in a certain order to get the final boss or that I need to meet a certain character before beating a certain boss. I ended up re-playing it following a guide so I didn't miss anything.

The Last of Us Part 1 - 8/10 - The story really sucked me in. I burned through this game. Maybe too fast to appreciate it as much as I should have. The first time I really played a story driven game like that.

The Last of Us Part 2 - 8/10 - The gameplay was better. No more beating zombies with your bare fists when you get in trouble. The story really dragged on, though.
First, I think it would have been better to start as Abby and then realize you are tracking down Joel/Ellie. Making you hate Abby and then having to play half the game as Abby was weird. I get they are trying to make the point that the bad guy depends on your perspective, but I don't think they did it the best way. Worse, though, is letting Abby live, going back out to kill her, finding her, and then letting her live again. Should have just cut out the entire last leg of the game.

Uncharted 4 - 7/10
Batman : Arkham Knight - 7/10
Horizon : Zero Dawn - 6/10
They were fun. Not much to say about them, though.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Incomplete - I hated this game. So slow, so tedious. I have to chop wood in a video game? I have to go to sleep in a video game? Riding the horse back and forth was boring as f***. The gun play wasn't fun. I get how people can appreciate the realism, the detail, and the freedom, but I couldn't play this game.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Ghosts of Tsushima- 7.5 out of 10

Definitely a game in my wheelhouse and while I liked a lot about it, I can’t say it quite stuck the landing for me.

Some good stuff with combat, such as the stand off. That said, I definitely found my play style basically being my assassin creed play style. Which is why I really liked the secondary objectives in the larger camps, so much so that I wish they respawned with new objectives (though I suspect lots would disagree with that). I also liked the concept of the 10 part quests for some of the main secondary characters.

Unfortunately I was not particularly interested in many of these characters even after experiencing their story. I liked the monk but the archer and the grand dame were fairly meh to me. Even Jin didn’t hit home for me, just kind of bland with his emotional arc (which my iPad just tried to change to emoter cheese) being too telegraphed.

I think the other thing to hurt the game is that the three zones felt very uneven. If they were all like the first night my praise would have been much higher. However, the follow up areas grew progressively less enjoyable.

still a good game with some great visuals. Do wish I waited a few months until this recent expansion came out before playing. Suspect it would have expanded my experience in an enjoyable way, but I don’t particularly feel like returning to its world so soon.
Have you played Sekiro or any of the Soulsborne games? How does Ghost compare? Both in terms of difficulty and overall enjoyment.

I just finished Bloodborne (my only FromSoftware game) and I am debating Ghost, Sekiro, or something a little more silly like Hitman 2 (it was free with PS+ last month).

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Have you played Sekiro or any of the Soulsborne games? How does Ghost compare? Both in terms of difficulty and overall enjoyment.

I just finished Bloodborne (my only FromSoftware game) and I am debating Ghost, Sekiro, or something a little more silly like Hitman 2 (it was free with PS+ last month).

I haven't played those games but I think Ghost compares to an Assassin's Creed favorably. I remember people saying that Jedi Fallen Order played similar to a Souls game so maybe check that one out (I played it on easy lol)

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

Ghost is more like Assassins Creed then Sekiro. I love the game, but you pretty much know the entire game if you've played the first 2-3 hours. Theres literally only like 4 enemy types and the bosses are actually those same enemy types. Theres no unique enemies that make up the bosses.

If you like the loop though, which I did, Ghost is awesome and the story and soundtrack is incredibly good. Not really difficult. In fact you become pretty OP near the middle/end of the game.

Sekiro is an incredibly brutal game, and theres a very real possiblity that you will just not be able to beat the final boss, its that difficult. I consider it the most difficult Souls game, however its balanced out by the fact that New Game+ is insanely easy and doesn't scale as brutally as the other souls games.

Hitman 2 is an awesome game in its own right, but you have to really like sandbox games because it doesn't hold your hand.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

They're pretty different games. The souls series are much deeper and different, meanwhile Ghost is a pretty generic open world action game that does everything very well. I didn't find it as engaging or challenging, but I liked it on the hardest difficulty. Havent played Sekiro because the publisher seems to refuse to put it on sale on PC.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Ghost is more like Assassins Creed then Sekiro. I love the game, but you pretty much know the entire game if you've played the first 2-3 hours. Theres literally only like 4 enemy types and the bosses are actually those same enemy types. Theres no unique enemies that make up the bosses.

If you like the loop though, which I did, Ghost is awesome and the story and soundtrack is incredibly good. Not really difficult. In fact you become pretty OP near the middle/end of the game.

Sekiro is an incredibly brutal game, and theres a very real possiblity that you will just not be able to beat the final boss, its that difficult. I consider it the most difficult Souls game, however its balanced out by the fact that New Game+ is insanely easy and doesn't scale as brutally as the other souls games.

Hitman 2 is an awesome game in its own right, but you have to really like sandbox games because it doesn't hold your hand.

They're pretty different games. The souls series are much deeper and different, meanwhile Ghost is a pretty generic open world action game that does everything very well. I didn't find it as engaging or challenging, but I liked it on the hardest difficulty. Havent played Sekiro because the publisher seems to refuse to put it on sale on PC.

Thanks for the info. I knew Ghost was open world, but I see Ghost and Sekiro mentioned together a lot. I figured they were similarly difficult, but I guess it's just that they are both samurai games. I might give Ghost a try next. I want to play Sekrio eventually, but I could use a break from the punishing difficulty after playing Bloodborne. Although, the second playthrough of Bloodborne (not NG+) really wasn't that hard. I got hung up on a couple of bosses still, but once you know where to go and how to approach each boss they are manageable.

Reactions: Section337

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

Ghost of Tsushima is a beautiful story and visual adventure with decent combat. It's well worth a trip.

Sekiro is one of my favorite games of the 2010s, to the point where I can't relate it objectively at all. It does not have the RPG elements of the souls games, for the most part, but it replaces it with an addictive combat system that feels incredible when it clicks. Boss fights are consistently high quality, and the final boss is up there with Ludwig, Gael and Sister Friede as all time memorable boss fights.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Ghost of Tsushima is a beautiful story and visual adventure with decent combat. It's well worth a trip.

Sekiro is one of my favorite games of the 2010s, to the point where I can't relate it objectively at all. It does not have the RPG elements of the souls games, for the most part, but it replaces it with an addictive combat system that feels incredible when it clicks. Boss fights are consistently high quality, and the final boss is up there with Ludwig, Gael and Sister Friede as all time memorable boss fights.
Less RPG and better combat are big +'s in my book. Sekiro is definitely on my short list (along with the Bloodborne DLC). Just need a little bit of an easier game after playing Bloodborne twice.

How would you compare Sekiro to Bloodborne in terms of difficulty? I've only played the main game. I've heard the DLC is tough.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Less RPG and better combat are big +'s in my book. Sekiro is definitely on my short list (along with the Bloodborne DLC). Just need a little bit of an easier game after playing Bloodborne twice.

How would you compare Sekiro to Bloodborne in terms of difficulty? I've only played the main game. I've heard the DLC is tough.

Sekiro was initially harder for me because the combat demands parrying to succeed, but the game is smoother as it goes along until the end, where the bosses suddenly test everything you got.

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Ultimate Edition - 6.5/10

This is kind of a weird one, I want to leave more of a mixed review than anything. Let me start with the base game which is the first 12 chapters. The gameplay is pretty solid. It's fun and satisfying taking on either single large enemies or groups of smaller enemies. The controls feel a bit iffy when jumping but when you're on the ground, it's smooth and responsive. The combat is absolutely where the game shines. If the game was more of a hack and slash game, I would give it more praise but there are too many weird problems this game had that I feel like was just poor decision making.

First and foremost, this game has one of the worst camera systems I've seen in a game. As a result, platforming can become a complete mess. In fact, in addition to awkward cameras, the jumping mechanics are just plain bad. You'll get frustrated in areas with no enemies far more often than areas with enemies because you'll constantly find yourself having to reset some areas due to bad controls. Furthermore, sometimes the checkpoints in those areas are frustratingly bad. You can take your time and carefully work your way through a weird platforming area just to miss a jump late in the sequence due to an awkwardly timed camera change only to be reset back to the beginning of the platforming section. There are also a good amount of puzzles in the game. I didn't think they were bad but they weren't particularly great either. They mostly just felt out of place to be honest.

There are also three bosses for some reason that have you constantly climbing them and it's more of a platforming boss than an action boss. They just felt really tedious as you figure out the route to take and weren't very fun. The standard bosses, which there are a lot more of, are a lot more fun and the kind of action you expect from the game. Other than the three awkward platforming bosses, I thought all the bosses were a lot of fun.

The biggest problem with the Ultimate Edition though is the DLC. The DLC in this game is quite possibly the worst DLC I've ever seen in a game. There are two chapters. The first chapter is almost all awkward platforming and puzzle solving. It just felt more like a chore. The second chapter in the DLC is basically one big boss fight and it's probably the most frustrating, unfair boss I've ever encountered in any game. You'll fight it twice. The first fight is fine and pretty fun. The issue is the second fight. The boss' hit box is high up so you have to jump to hit him. The problem with that is there's no sense of height at all. Sometimes you'll jump and attack too high or too low and you won't know why because the camera gets really awkward in tight. It's only an issue in the last boss of the DLC, not any of the other bosses. You have to get in tight to attack it, you have to be in the air, and the controls in the air are really awkward, it's just a recipe for disaster. You'll often find yourself where you stop attacking but the game wants to continue your mid air combo and even though you stopped attacking a whole second ago, it keeps going and you can't get away. It has a lot of AoE attacks too so you have to be able to get away quickly.

The story overall is really enjoyable. I thought it was a lot of fun all the way through. The story for the DLC was pretty interesting too but for some reason they went away from in game cutscenes to the cutscenes being drawings and it felt really half-assed.

Overall, if you're interested in a hack and slash game or like the Castlevania game, I would say give it a go for the base game and skip the DLC entirely. Considering the age of the game, I would also recommend waiting for a sale. Give it a shot and see how you like the camera. The camera isn't too bad for most of the combat but it gets really frustrating for the platforming which is a fairly large portion of the game. If you don't like the camera, refund it and don't look back because it's not going to get any better. If you're fine with it and enjoy the combat, play through the base game and enjoy the combat/story. Again, just make sure to skip what is probably the worst DLC I've played.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Funny enough, your post made me go ahead and buy Sekiro. I put a couple hours in and my god the game play is awesome. There's a lot similar to Jedi Fallen Order and even Ghost of Tsushima (though much less). It's definitely a FromSoft game in the sense that the quality is way up there.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
n8jLuDS.jpg

Hotshot Racing (PS4, 2020)

Hotshot Racing is an arcade-style racing game. It has all the classic arcade racing tropes you want - bright visuals, drifting mechanics for going round corners, checkpoints you need to pass to keep a race going, and races short and close enough that you always want one more go.

I might as well finish my review here to be honest, because there's very little substance. There are several game modes. GP mode is a four race championship. You can do single races in the Arcade mode, along with other special modes like Drive or Explode, where you need to keep your car above a certain speed or... well, something happens. That's it. There are twenty different tracks in four different settings. I think every lap can be finished in under a minute, so races (usually 3 laps) are fast and frantic. You can do all of this online too, but in the time I was playing I never found anyone else so you might struggle unless you're playing with friends. 4 player local multiplayer is also available.

There are eight drivers to choose from with four cars each. Usual arcade racer rules apply, there are all-round cars then one that's good at speed, one for acceleration and one for cornering. These stats are all matched though so races are never uneven, and you're almost always in with a chance of a win. Several of them are clearly modelled after real life cars, and driving cartoon-like versions of classic race cars is a nice buzz if you're like me and have spent most of your life playing Gran Turismo.

I say you're almost always in with a chance of winning because every now and then on the harder difficulty some of the AI has a tendency to t-bone you in the middle of corners. This is because the difficulty level is mainly based on the speed the cars can go at rather than your opponents being faster. As a result there's very little challenge even on the highest difficulty, things just get a bit more hectic. This isn't a bad thing, but it doesn't help with the sense of the game feeling a bit shallow.

That's pretty much it. I managed to put around twenty five hours into it trying to unlock all of the customisation options for all the cars because it had trophies. By this point I started resenting it, so if you don't care for trophies or achievements you might not be bothered as much by this. I need to make special note of the terrible menu system for those customisations though. After finishing everything I was missing some colour schemes for each car and couldn't find them. Anywhere. I go there eventually with the help of a friend but the menus leave a lot to be desired.

Now, that's definitely it. It's fun while you're playing it. It's usually on sale for very cheaply. It has online if you want to play your friends, and a time trial mode if you're a perfectionist. You'll have fun, then you'll leave it.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Ghost of Tsushima (Iki expansion) - I absolutely LOVED the main game - my favourite game of the year by far. You'd think more of the same would be great, but I took quite a bit of time out between finishing the main game and starting the expansion. It hasn't pulled me in nearly as much. Still fun, still beautiful, just slightly less engaging. 7.5/10

The ABC Murders - Picked it up because I enjoy Poirot novels and the game cost the grand sum of £1.50 on PSN. If you like point and click games and detective games then it's not bad. Nothing is particularly incredible about it, but it's enjoyable enough. It is rather unpolished though - some of the voice acting is suspect and quite a lot of the dialogue is cut (audio cuts out before the end of a sentence literally 25% of the time). 6/10 (at £1.50 it's great value for money)

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Mario Golf Super Rush - 8/10

I purchased it thinking it was going to be more of a straight on golf game, but found the variations in the story mode to be quite enjoyable. A fun little game.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I got a PS5 during the lockdown. I haven't played video games since PS3 and even then, it was basically just Call of Duty, NHL, and FIFA. I've been playing through some of the title that are included in PS+. Here's my ratings.

God of War - 10/10 - I loved everything about this game. Changing armor sets is a little RPG-y for me, but I don't care. The combat is fantastic. Visually it is amazing. The story is great, albeit a little hard to follow all the lore. It was challenging without being punishing...OK the Valkyrie Queen was a little bit punishing. Giving this out for free so that I buy the next one totally worked on me.

Bloodborne - 9/10 - Again, a little too RPG-y at times for my tastes, but the fast paced combat is fantastic. It's borderline too hard for me, but when I just accepted that you are suppose to die a lot, it got better. When you finally get over the hump and beat the boss, it feels so good. I knocked a point off for the vagueness. I don't want to have to do research to understand what is going on or that I need to take certain steps in a certain order to get the final boss or that I need to meet a certain character before beating a certain boss. I ended up re-playing it following a guide so I didn't miss anything.

The Last of Us Part 1 - 8/10 - The story really sucked me in. I burned through this game. Maybe too fast to appreciate it as much as I should have. The first time I really played a story driven game like that.

The Last of Us Part 2 - 8/10 - The gameplay was better. No more beating zombies with your bare fists when you get in trouble. The story really dragged on, though.
First, I think it would have been better to start as Abby and then realize you are tracking down Joel/Ellie. Making you hate Abby and then having to play half the game as Abby was weird. I get they are trying to make the point that the bad guy depends on your perspective, but I don't think they did it the best way. Worse, though, is letting Abby live, going back out to kill her, finding her, and then letting her live again. Should have just cut out the entire last leg of the game.

Uncharted 4 - 7/10
Batman : Arkham Knight - 7/10
Horizon : Zero Dawn - 6/10
They were fun. Not much to say about them, though.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Incomplete - I hated this game. So slow, so tedious. I have to chop wood in a video game? I have to go to sleep in a video game? Riding the horse back and forth was boring as f***. The gun play wasn't fun. I get how people can appreciate the realism, the detail, and the freedom, but I couldn't play this game.

Can't believe I missed this part of your post on RDR2.

I totally agree. I really had a hard time finding anything enjoyable about the game to the point where I have to say it's the least fun I've had in a game in 2021.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Can't believe I missed this part of your post on RDR2.

I totally agree. I really had a hard time finding anything enjoyable about the game to the point where I have to say it's the least fun I've had in a game in 2021.
I quit after one of the main story points is to take a little kid fishing...fishing...in a video game. Funny thing is I actually like to fish, just not in a video game :laugh:

I've heard the story eventually picks up, but I just can't spend another minute riding that damn horse back and fourth.

Luckily, I bought a PS5 with the disc drive, so I was able to buy a used copy of RDR2 (and TLOU2). I'll trade those in for Ghost and/or Sekiro, so it really only cost me like $20 and a bunch of wasted time. Not even a year in and that disc drive has paid for itself.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
The Last Campfire - 5/10

The Last Campfire is a puzzle/exploration game where you explore an overworld to find puzzles and then solve the puzzles. There aren't that many puzzles in the game and most of them are rather simple. Overall, even if you're looking for a good puzzle game, there are better options out there.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Aragami 2 - 7/10

I played the original Aragami earlier this year before I even knew this one was coming out so I was pretty excited to try 2. The gameplay is very similar and is a solid stealth game but I feel like it overstays its welcome a bit. It's quite a bit longer than the first Aragami but you'll be doing new missions in the same levels. The only difference is you'll start in a different location sometimes and certain areas will be blocked off by a shadow wall. Guards will also be in a different location. It's a ton of fun and you'll be loving the beginning but it ends up feeling like it drags when you're replaying the same maps with different objectives. Unfortunately, that's the majority of the second half of the game. If you really like stealth games, I would definitely recommend giving it a go. I would probably wait for a sale or even buy the first at full price over this one though.

Picked this up off of Game Pass and I have to agree.

It's fun but a little frustratingly janky at times and definitely drags on.

I have to admit, I thought the original game was more unique.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Yeah, the first is quite a bit better than the second. It was pretty short too. I think the base game for the first without DLC is under 5 hours. Aragami 2 felt like it had about 5 hours of content stretched out to 2-3 times that while you replay the same maps over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00