The last few games you beat and rate them III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Watch Dogs 2 - 7/10

I mostly enjoyed the first WD, this one was just OK, it played well, and the controls were mostly fine but it was nothing special. I thought it was kind of funny how you could hide somewhere for like 60 seconds after shooting 50 cops and they would just call off the search

Reactions: NyQuil

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Downwell - 5.0 (Masterpiece)

This game is brilliant, one of a kind, and criminally underrated, all for the price of $3.

The mechanics are beautifully designed. Like most of my favorite games, everything revolves around a deceptively simple but cleverly conceived base mechanic that organically reveals a ton of depth and reward. There are just three buttons. Two for moving left and right. Your guy jumps by pressing the third button and shoots downward from his gun-boots by pressing it again while airborne. You fall/traverse down a narrow well full of enemies and power-ups, you only have a few shots available while you're air-born but you recharge every time you land on the floor or on an enemy, and continuously bonking enemies Mario-style will generate really satisfying and rewarding chains and combos. It's basically the perfect marriage between platformer, vertical shoot-em-up/bullet-hell, almost a Tetris-like puzzle/space management game, and rogue-likes.

Rogue-likes seem to have a really bad reputation and I'm not familiar enough with the genre to fully understand why (the only other rogue-like that I've had exposure to is Into the Breach and it's one of my absolute favorites-- I guess Dead Cells would be one that I don't like). It's procedural generated in the same way that random Tetris blocks falling is procedural.

Beyond that, low-fi aesthetic is great and makes everything easy to parse, it's easy to pick up, immediately satisfying and addictive, tough as nails to get far in, and very manage-ably short in length (speed run record's about 9 minutes, and ideally, you should be playing this fast-- There are only four worlds with three quick levels each, and a final boss at the end). The music is merely serviceable, I would say.

That understated but clever/funny ending is the perfect punchline to the whole thing, too.

This is easily the best initially-released-for-mobile game that I'm aware of, and is one of my favorite games overall now. Just minimalistic perfection.

Favorite Games

1. Earthbound - 5.0 (Masterpiece)

2. Super Metroid - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
3. Super Street Fighter II Turbo - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
4. Tetris (Gameboy) - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
5. Celeste - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
6. Into the Breach - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
7. Downwell - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
8. Inside - 4.5 (Brilliant)
9. Super Mario Bros. 3 - 4.5 (Brilliant)
10. Super Mario World - 4.5 (Brilliant)
11. Street Fighter III: Third Strike - 4.5 (Brilliant)
12. Mother 3 - 4.5 (Brilliant)
13. Metroid: Zero Mission - 4.0 (Flawless)
14. Portal - 4.0 (Flawless)
15. Garou: Mark of the Wolves - 4.0 (Flawless)
16. Megaman X - 3.5 (Great)
17. Ikaruga - 3.5 (Great)
18. Final Fantasy VI - 3.5 (Great)
19. Advance Wars 2 [Tentative] - 3.5 (Great)
20. Shadow of the Colossus - 3.5 (Great)
21. A Link to the Past - 3.5 (Great)
22. Windjammers - 3.5 (Great)
23. Tetris Attack - 3.5 (Great)
24. Vampire Savior - 3.5 (Great)

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Tetris 99 (Big Block DLC) - 3.5 (Great)

Haven't been playing online, but considered the game "beaten" when I got 1st on the hardest difficulty.

I actually like it more than Tetris Effect, might call it the most polished version of Tetris around, and its gimmick arguably adds something fresh to the game rather than feels like a needless distraction (on top of just being a hilariously ballsy and humorous move in general). I'm still less of a fan of modern Tetris rules than GB, and I don't like how arbitrary T-Spins are the highest value while actual Tetris' are relatively low value. In other words, the basic method/process of getting good is less ideal and feels less satisfying to me. I usually just end up stubbornly revert back to setting up Tetris' because it's more fun that way, even though that's kind of a losing strategy.

Last edited:

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Appreciate all the info, guys. I'll keep it in mind. Short isn't a deal-breaker, it's mostly just a depth and variety concern.
Whoa whoa whoa, okay, come on, this has to be blasphemy. Let's not say things we can't take back. :laugh:

I've seen trailers and the sprite work is excellent, but there's no way it has a higher level of beauty, artistry, animation, style and detail than stuff like this:

A bunch of top level SNK and Capcom stuff

Whoops. Forgot to put the word indie/game developed by one guy in there.

Strangely the last few games I've gotten into have been published by Devolver. The Messenger, KZ, Hotline 1 and 2 (I would have liked these more if I played them before KZ, still worth it though), and the upcoming Carrion (which looks like a lot of fun too).

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Supraland 9/10

Just a total delight to play. From the Steam description: "A mix between Portal, Zelda and Metroid. Explore, find secret upgrades, solve puzzles, beat up monsters, find new abilities that help you reach new places." A mix between Portal/Zelda/Metroid might sound a bit overreaching, but it's actually a darn good description. You're a tiny rubber toy figure exploring a very creative kid's backyard sandbox.

Took me about 25 hours to finish the game. Still spending a little bit of time mopping up some of the final secrets. Like Stardew Valley it's hard to believe the game was largely developed by one person.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Katana Zero - 2.5 or 3.0 (Good/Very Good)

The aesthetic and presentation of the game is top notch. The sprite work as incredible (I agree that it may just be the best in an Indie game thus far), the soundtrack is great, and the transitions, effects (dynamically generated pixel blood in particular), sparks, and UI overlays add a lot to the experience. The sound design is solid as well, although I wish they used a less annoying death scream sound considering how frequently you have to hear it.

I was surprised and impressed by how strong the storytelling and mood/atmosphere was. There are moments that, as you're playing through them, feel convoluted/test your patience (like the Shakespearean masked guys and the constant disorienting mind-**** attempts) and gimmicky paths that you worry it might go down (I was rolling my eyes at what it seemed like would be the function of the little girl), but once you finish the game, the story beats feel very tasteful and the feeling you're left with is surprisingly poignant. I read a bunch of impressions/reviews of the game before I actually played it, and in retrospect, I think the common criticism I came across about the story being incomplete or ending on an anti-climactic cliffhanger, is really dumb and completely unwarranted. The decision to show restraint, not end on a big climax, and leave so many things to linger and be left to interpretation is awesome.

If my interpretation is correct, the combination of....

(a) the children not being in the flashback, they only appear in his nightmares because he can't disassociate the child killings with arbitrary childhood memories he had of playing with a little girl,

and (b) the likely possibility that the little girl doesn't really exist in the game and is just him subconsciously comforting himself with specters of his past as he starts to lose his consciousness (I assume the Shakespeare guys who take her at the end aren't literal either)

... really got to me. Makes the rooftop scene and ending that much more effective.

The humor surprisingly worked for me as well (I hated the attempt at humor in The Messenger), especially how they poked fun at the hoards of identical enemies (The Strong Terry and Skinny Ricky moments/callbacks were great).

Most of my reservations were with the gameplay and some of the things that I was initially concerned about it. Don't get me wrong, it's a BLAST to handle. The mechanics feel really good and the feedback loop is very addicting. But it did feel a little one-dimensional and turned out to be a bit on the easy side. I ended up seeing no reason to treat the rooms as puzzles or to use my surroundings and items to my advantage the way it seems like it's meant to be played. Instead, I basically just did a B-line through most of it and was able to dodge-roll my way through most of the danger without needing more than a handful of tries. I would say that the gameplay felt tasty and addicting but didn't necessarily feel as deep, rich, and ingenuous to me as other games I prefer, personally.

I also liked 15's role in the game. Reminded me of Zero's presence/teases in the Megaman X games.

Overall, it's a blast to play through, with some reservations that are for the most part made up for by the polish of the presentation/writing and the inherent fun of it.

Edit: Did a second run in speedrun mode in 1h 10min. Still feel more or less the same-- Fun tight well done beautiful game with an absence of in-game depth.

Indie Games Ranking

1. Celeste - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
2. Into the Breach - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
3. Downwell - 5.0 (Masterpiece)
4. Inside - 4.5 (Brilliant)
5. Hollow Knight - 3.0 (Very Good)
6. Journey - 3.0 (Very Good)
7. Katana Zero - 2.5 or 3.0 (Good/Very Good)
---
8. Limbo - 2.5 (Good)
9. Cadence of Hyrule [Tentative] - 2.0 or 2.5 (Positive/Good)
10. Crypt of the Necrodancer [Tentative] - 2.0 or 2.5 (Positive/Good)
11. The Messenger - 2.0 (Positive)
12. FTL - 2.0 (Positive)
13. Undertale - 2.0 (Positive)
14. Sonic Mania - 2.0 (Positive)
15. Hyper Light Drifter - 2.0 (Positive)
---
16. Super Meat Boy - 1.5 (Neutral)
17. Cuphead - 1.5 (Neutral)
18. Shovel Knight - 1.5 (Neutral)
19. Braid - 1.5 (Neutral)
20. Towerfall Ascension - 1.5 (Neutral)
21. Baba is You - 1.5 (Neutral)
22. Axiom Verge - 1.5 (Neutral)
23. Dead Cells - 1.0 (Negative)
24. Gris - 1.0 (Negative)
---
25. Little Nightmares - 0.5 (Bad)
26. Fez - 0.5 (Bad)
27. Doki Doki Literature Club - 0.0 (Terrible)
28. Stanley Parable - 0.0 (Terrible)

Last edited:

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Kingdom Hearts 3

After much ballyhoo and bullshit 2.8 sequels, the end of the Dark Seeker trilogy finally dropped this year...Only six years after it was first announced!

And while I had my fun with it and it was a good value (took 51 hours to complete and there's still new game plus and some side quests I didn't do)...

I can't help but feel a sense of disappointment with it, like the game missed more than it hit in a lot of ways.

Positives:

- Fantastic and fun gameplay, great combat and fun mini games.

-While the writing isn't always strong (at its best its excellent, at worst it's borderline-incoherent Disney camp), the cast is endearing and the story is at times very emotional.

- Beautiful graphics and an even better soundtrack.

- At 50+ hours (and with NG+ and several missed side quests), it's a good value - it's not an insane 120+ hour time sink like an RDR2 or a Dragon Quest XI, but not every game has to be.

- The Pirates of the Caribbean world was amazing. The Kingdom of Corona was also very good.

Negatives:

- EDIT: ON NG+...

Save points are too far apart, and the game doesn't autosave.

- Because of a prolonged time in development hell, there were several worlds that should have been in but weren't - and don't say 'these movies weren't out yet!' - the game was announced at E3 2013, Frozen came out in November of that year...there should have been a Finding Nemo and Zootopia world, or even dip into the vault and give us a Bambi or a Jungle Book world. Hercules? Big Hero 6!? Nobody cares about these properties!

- The Toy Story world was a letdown, but that doesn't even begin to compare to...

- The sheer idiocy of the Frozen world. 'Sora, Goofy and Donald; your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to climb this mountain, where you'll see Elsa sing 'Lez me go!' (admittedly this scene was good), then get swept off by an avalanche. Then climb it again and get swept off again after a boss fight! Then rebuild Olaf and climb it again for another fight, then go to a completely different area of the map for a boss fight, after which you'll be rewarded with a mediocre keyblade!'

- The overall story is ridiculously convoluted and makes Game of Thrones (post Season 5) look like Tolstoy.

I overall give the game a 7.5/10 and an only tepid recommendation (and that's if you like the series or action RPGS).

An oftimes fun and occasionally profound closer to a long running series...but I feel more like they should have taken another year to year and a half to really get some more killer content in there.

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze - 6/10

I played the Switch version. The game is a solid platforming game but that's really all it is. I get it, it's Donkey Kong, that's the point, but in this day and age, it doesn't bring anything new to the table. If it was the exact same game with a different name and main character, I doubt many people would remember this one. The bosses were pretty fun except for the blow fish boss because the water controls are just awful. Certainly not worth the $50-60 they're still asking for despite the fact that this is a re-release of a 5 year old game. I got it cheap on eBay and plan to just sell it again to get most of my money back. Unless you're a hardcore Donkey Kong or maybe just a hardcore Nintendo fan, I would probably ignore this one or just pick it up when it's really cheap.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
The Messenger - Picnic Panic DLC - 9/10

It's free! It's more of The Messenger! What else really needs to be said? More great tunes, more fun humor, same great gameplay and aesthetic. This one is a bit more challenging that I remember the base game being but it may have been because I was rusty. This DLC took more of the straight action/platformer approach rather than the metroidvania approach of the base game. There's only 3 bosses in the DLC, first one is OK. The second boss is a challenging but once you learn the patterns is really fun to play. And the third one, without spoiling it, is just plain fun. It definitely came out of nowhere, I did not expect it at all. You get to do the thing!!

Honestly, if you liked the Messenger, you'd be stupid not to play this.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze - 6/10

I played the Switch version. The game is a solid platforming game but that's really all it is. I get it, it's Donkey Kong, that's the point, but in this day and age, it doesn't bring anything new to the table. If it was the exact same game with a different name and main character, I doubt many people would remember this one. The bosses were pretty fun except for the blow fish boss because the water controls are just awful. Certainly not worth the $50-60 they're still asking for despite the fact that this is a re-release of a 5 year old game. I got it cheap on eBay and plan to just sell it again to get most of my money back. Unless you're a hardcore Donkey Kong or maybe just a hardcore Nintendo fan, I would probably ignore this one or just pick it up when it's really cheap.

That's how I felt about Donkey Kong Country Returns, but not Tropical Freeze which may be the best in the series (tough to decide between DKC2 and TF).

The level design is what makes TF special, the developers somehow kept coming up with new ideas so frequently they were able to use them just once, abandon them and move on to the next idea. They do this so well that most levels have multiple new mechanics and they eventually combine them at the end in a way that is surprising and miraculously always works well mechanically. I can't recall another performer where the developers were so clearly bursting with ideas that almost nothing is recycled. The levels are tough but rarely feel cheap or unfair like they so often did in DKC3 which had ridiculous gimmicks like inverted controls in poison water.

Not to mention the game also has great music and visual flair.

I enjoyed the game so much my only complaints with it are tiny, tiny nitpicks:
  • The puzzle pieces don't feel very rewarding to go after, there's too many of them and there is too much disparity in difficulty with them. There should have been 1-4 of these per level rather than 5-9 of them, the DK coins in DKC2 were better in my opinion. On the other hand the K-O-N-G letters are actually worth seeking out now as they unlock extra levels, so that was a great change.
  • Having lives is pointless, they exist only because the old games had them - game overs don't matter anymore with the modern saving system and the game gives out lives like candy, so you'll usually have 98-99 lives.
  • They lost some of the personality of the original games by condensing all the helpful characters on the map into one shop. And it's a shop you are unlikely to visit often since it just supplies you with cheats if you get stuck and you can buy figurines if you wanted to for some reason. So unless you buy those things you'll usually have 999 coins as well making those pointless to pick up in the levels.
You're not wrong about the way Nintendo prices their games, re-releases are too expensive and their games remain at full price for too long.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That's a shame. I was looking forward to Tropical Freeze too, and had heard nothing but great things about it.

Also, I've been completely obsessed with Downwell. It's one of my absolute favorite games now.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Total Party Kill - 7.5/10

Total Party Kill is a fun little puzzle game where you control an archer, wizard, and knight, each with their own abilities, that you will have to combine to solve puzzles. Almost every level will require killing a character or two to reach the exit. There are multiple ways to solve each puzzle and they're fun to solve. They're never overly complicated but the game is still good fun regardless. It feels like a lite version of The Lost Vikings, a game style that hasn't been made in years. It's not quite as elaborate or large as The Lost Vikings but it's still good fun for what it is.

I played this yesterday. It was fun. It controls like a platformer, but is definitely a puzzle game. My only gripe is that a few of the puzzles required jumping off of a character who's also jumping, in order to reach higher, which I found really tricky to do with my controller. I'd rather that a puzzle game not require so much precision and platformer-like dexterity, but it was necessary in only 3 or 4 stages out of 60, so it wasn't too bad. It really would've been nice if there were more stages, like 100, at least. I finished them all in something like 2 or 3 hours. At least it's priced accordingly at only $4.99. Overall, though it gave me only one night's entertainment, it was a lot of fun. Thanks for the recommendation.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Just played Silent Hill 2 for the first time (and 2nd, 3rd, 4th, going on 5th).

I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say that it’s the greatest video game experience I’ve ever had - it’s more than a video game. It’s art. I could probably go on for several paragraphs about all the symbolism, outside influences, character development, the f***ing twist, it’s all unbelievably good. Every single inch of the game is meticulously detailed, every single room has something memorable about it. Every cutscene stayed with me, even the ones that are weirder than they are scary. The balance the voice actors do between serious and intentionally off kilter also impresses me, James starts out a little wooden but by the end he becomes a phenomenal character IMO.

But yeah I could ramble about this forever. It’s easily 10/10, A+ , whatever you want to call it.

I also played the 3rd one. It’s a great game, but is dwarfed by it’s predecessor IMO. The plot is nothing by comparison, and there are some really annoying enemies. Heather and Vincent are really good characters, though.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
5MjFULN.jpg

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4, 2015)

In preparing for a write-up of Everybody's Gone to the Rapture I went back and looked at the games I've played over the years that are, or could be considered, walking simulators. While this name in its own right conjures up feelings of scorn or ridicule I've always been one to absolve games of their mechanical ills if it's at the expense of the narrative that's being delivered to you. In some cases the gameplay complements the story perfectly, and you don't have this problem. In some cases there's no relation between the two at all, and you need events and something engaging to keep you going. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture has neither of these.

You are... well, that's a matter of debate. You are a floating camera who enters the world at a conservatory just on the edge of the fictional Shropshire village of Yaughton. You have nothing to guide you except a flying ball of orange light and the occasional ringing phone or message repeating radio. Sometimes the orb of light expands into the profiles of people and recreates conversations they had in particular locations. As you progress through the village and the surrounding wood, holiday camp and secondary village of Upper Tipton, you discover the attempts people made at investigating the source of the light and what it was.

There are many theories on the internet about what the game's about but I'm not going to go into those here. Before I explain why, I'm going to say what I like about the game. In the most literal sense of the term walking simulator it's near perfect. Every area of the game looks fantastic. In terms of the type of place people would say they want to go for a walk in, it's almost perfectly designed. I've read a lot of books set in similar locations and around the time the game is set, and it captures them down to every last detail. Even if you ignored the attempt at a story and viewed the game purely as a tech demo for some pre-industrial idyllic fantasy English countryside village from an indeterminate point in the 20th century, it's faultless. It's almost uncanny at times. On my first playthrough I... I don't know how to describe it, it's like I was in a dream but then realised it wasn't real.

That isn't to say the game doesn't flirt with the absurd on occasion. The amount of British accents on the go from the assorted flashbacks is almost too hilarious to take seriously. It's not even the broad farmland/Wurzels voices that I find the most intriguing, it's the extremely Welsh couple or the random Scouse guy who pops up briefly. It's probably a good thing there aren't any real people rendered at any point, hearing these voices sync up with a mouth would be a step too far in the creepy stakes. That said, the music and the sound are all very well done, the score in particular complementing the story conversations beautifully.

You progress through six different stories for different characters in different locations in the game. Through each you usually learn a little bit more about all the other characters too as you try to piece together what happened to them. That's pretty much it. The radio messages I mentioned earlier are from Kate, an American astronomer who works at the observatory with her complete arse of a husband, who grew up in Yaughton before moving away and becoming a snob. When I played the game the first time there was a genuine desire to find everything, or at least as much as I could. It wasn't even because I was especially invested in the characters or what had happened or the seemingly deliberate vagueness of something that was apparently humanity-threatening, but the world felt so real and so worthy of exploration. I can't fault it there.

I used the phrase "first play through" there, suggesting I played it more than once. I played it a second time for trophies and to pick up all the collectibles and conversations to really make sure I had all the information possible to try and figure out what was going on. It's here we get to the subject of what the game's about, and I'll tell you why I'm not bothered about trying too hard to figure that out. I don't care. The game's nice to look at, it's nice to explore, it's even nice to investigate, but I was never at a point where a great revelation happened for me. There was no moment of realisation, of gratitude for what the game had presented me with. I have a theory, if you've played the game and don't mind spoilers. I think Kate couldn't handle her husband cheating on her with his old girlfriend, and she imagines everyone in Yaughton dead as a coping mechanism. If you just listen to her radio updates, that's what it sounds like. I still don't care though.

This seems to be one of the prominent Games Are Art titles of its time, and I think as a walking simulator it at least creates an engaging and interesting world that is worth exploring and enjoyable to do so. There's just nothing there for you to find out that's going to stick with you. I finished this game quite a while ago and I've been trying to think of something profound to say about it, but I genuinely just can't. And I don't think that's my fault.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

Alienation (PS4, 2016)

Alienation is a twin-stick shooter in which there are lots of aliens on Earth and you need to shoot them. I've played it for well over forty hours over the past few weeks.

The premise is simple. An alien race called Xenophytes, or Xenos, have all but destroyed humanity and taken over the Earth. Only you, a Captain in the UNX, are left. Actually, now that I think about it, it seems that way. There's the character you play as, a Major and a Colonel on your radio who tell you what to do and a helicopter pilot who picks you up when the mission ends. No other people. You take the fight to the Xenos by killing thousands of them in various locations and eventually destroy their ships, winning.

Now that the story is out of the way (I'll not condescend to you by telling you about the two guys who sold out humanity to the Xenos in exchange for immortality, which is apparently easy for the Xenos to do to others but not themselves), let's get down to the most important part of a game like this. I've put as many hours as I have into this because it's fun and satisfying. I'm not sure how to write this up without trying to mention everything at once, so I'll list them:

- There are three classes for you to play as - Saboteur, Tank and Bio-Specialist. Each has a different primary weapon and different active skills you can use in battle and recharge from eneny-dropped power-ups. Secondary and heavy weapons are the same across all three characters. Their movement varies slightly too, but each character is unique enough that you have to alter your playstyle for each. It mostly comes down to moving and shooting as quickly as you can, but there are obviously ways of doing this efficiently. When you get your weapons ranked up and upgraded to the extent you can just flatten entire waves of things you can't even recognise, it's great fun.

- Enemies range from big to small to toxic to teleporting to flamethrowing to shooting, and they're not unique to any location (aside from the first playthrough, I'll come to that) so you always face something different. There's little material difference in killing each different Xeno and the weapons only really operate on a pure firepower method than anything type-specific. Sometimes you'll get swamped and have to switch weapons or use a special ability, but this just gives you more firepower. And when you combine the classes...

- ... you get even more efficient at killing Xenos. You always have the option of playing missions on or offline, joining ones in progress or letting people join yours. With different classes working together you have more powerful and more enemies, but this just means more stuff on screen to explode with fancy colours. When you complete all the story missions for the first time you go from World Level 1 to 2, which allows for over-levelling and much more powerful enemies. This gives the game a bit of life purely beyond the story missions themselves, and has the added bonus of presenting tangible progression from continuing to play the game once the story is finished. Grouping up with other high level players is a big part of that, and even with limited chat options I had lots of good experiences playing online. Especially when I was about level 23 and someone who was 30/300 joined my game and I gamed about 20 levels because of him killing everything for me. There are also six different difficulty levels which scales enemies and loot accordingly, so it can be very easy to rack up big rewards.

I think that's all of the gameplay done in terms of the characters and weapons, so now the locations. The game takes place in five main areas, with four of these being constant maps. Here the game suffers slightly, as there are four main maps in total, but story objectives are focused on specific areas in the maps. You're still free to travel round the whole map though, so here the game can feel a little repetitive. It doesn't help that the structure, layout and aesthetic of each is quite similar, or at least becomes similar in the midst of combat. When you have lots of different enemies to shoot its fine, but the maps themselves aren't memorable at all.

On two occasions when plaything through the story though and in special missions afterwards you can play in UFO and Ark Ship missions, which are randomly generated alien ship layouts with random enemies. Again, great fun. Really satisfying when you're mowing down Xenos and when you're in a group of four fully levelled guys trying to get the rarest weapons and as much XP as possible. the game always features something engaging and challenging whenever you play. Furthermore on this point, when you play it features a weekly league table where your total XP gain goes up against other players. The ones who finish with the most at the end of the week go up a league and get a bonus XP level for the next round. Again, it's more incentive to keep playing, and keep scoring.

Aside from the maps, the only other problems I can think of seem like oversights more than anything else. Weapons drop from enemies and crates in-game, and it shows you the base power stats of it as you hover over it to pick it up, along with an arrow telling you if it's more or less powerful than what you've got equipped. As far as I can tell though this doesn't take into account any upgrades you've applied - which are again found in-game and improve your damage, clip size, fire rate and critical hit chance - which can make it annoying when you're trying to move through a level quickly. Both on and offline there's no pausing which complicates this further. You can bring up the menu, but the game still plays.

The menu is also really unintuitive. Despite my play time I never really got used to it. You use the shoulder buttons to move between menus and I struggled with going where I wanted to a lot of the time. It'd be nice if your health bar was always visible, rather than only showing up when you get hit. The in-game minimap is also a bit too mini, and hard to read quickly when you expand it. I also seemed to have a problem with the game crashing, which seemed to happen a lot after I'd finished a mission online with high level players. There's an autosave so there's nothing lost, but it still happened regularly enough to be concerning.

These are pretty much my only criticisms, which after the amount of time I've spent with it is nothing short of a miracle. It's a time-filler, but it's a satisfying one that's easy to pick up. It's paced well, it shoots well, and you never get bored. What more do you want?

(Side-note: After playing this I've also discovered what Diablo III actually is and am quite intrigued by it. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.)

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

Not a Hero (PS4, 2015)

Not a Hero is a 2D platforming shoot-em-up with an art style and gameplay premise reminiscent of Hotline Miami. Bunnylord is trying to get elected Mayor. To help achieve this he's decided to clean up This Town and kick all the criminals in their face. That's where you come in. You have an assortment of levels to complete with up to eight different characters. Do them well enough and Bunnylord will be crowned Global Megalord.

Gameplay is simple. You have a gun. You can take cover. You can slide into enemies to knock them down before executing them. Some enemies drop powerups that change your bullets. There are special weapons dotted around some levels like grenades and mines. You start with one character and unlock seven others by completing levels and objectives within them, and each character has their own characteristics. I'd hesitate to call them unique because the differences are usually centred around movement - some are fast, some are slow, so even if their weapons differ there's still only certain ways of playing levels. By the end you'll find the best way is to pick the fastest characters and try to take out enemies before they have a chance to shoot you. I suppose the cover aspect of the game suffers here, because unless you're going for a kill streak while not being hit there's little reason to take things slowly.

That said, most of the time you won't want to. The game's biggest joy is in sliding around and blowing stuff up. The weapon upgrades are extremely powerful and offer a visceral improvement to the gunplay, whether that's one that changes your shots into nuclear bombs or lets you shoot people through walls. Even if you play levels multiple times trying to complete the three optional objectives each of them carries, there are still areas where you can blast away and hope for the best and some where you can plan ahead with projectiles. This is consistently a good thing, as it means you need to keep focused constantly and be in complete control. For some characters this offers an extra learning curve, as it's hard to suddenly be precise if you've spent all your time sliding around and hoping for the best.

The sound and the graphic design in the game is great. Each character has their own voice and personality (each of them being wildly stereotypical of somewhere in Britain) and they're all seemingly psychotic enough for their soundbites to never become tedious. Sadly this only really applies in-game, as the post- and pre-level cutscenes with Bunnylord have none of that anarchic thrill. He doesn't talk for a start, but he has text crawl along the screen that you can't speed up. Worst of all is that it's filled with what's clearly supposed to be "wacky" dialogue, but even for the cutscenes I could be bothered reading I just rolled my eyes a lot. It seems really at odds with the writing in the actual gameplay, which is a shame. The two aspects don't complement each other well, and the overall experience suffers as a result.

Short review, short game. Even as infuriating as some of those extra objectives were, they offered a nice challenge in some levels. Despite that I still finished everything in probably under ten hours, so it certainly doesn't outstay its welcome. I'm sure it's the sort of thing that speedrunners would love so if that's your thing, enjoy. If not, give it a go anyway and you'll probably still enjoy.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
198X - 3/10

198X is a really short kind of mix of games. There's only 5 levels and they're completely different styles, playing like games from the 90s. The levels are in the style of a beat em up, shoot em up, driving, platforming, and dungeon crawler. Nothing is very deep at all and it all feels pretty bland. Each level can be beaten in less than 10 minutes too. To top it off, I feel like a lot of the game time is based solely on loading. I actually timed it trying to go for an achievement. If you quit a level, go back to the main menu, and load the level again, the time it takes to quit to the menu and regain control of your character is about 1:20... The menus load so slowly. It's not an issue of long load times due to a slow drive, it's on an SSD. It's just really long animations that are unskippable. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this game at all.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Finally finished off King's Quest (2015) after really trying to savor the last couple episodes.

Absolutely loved it.

While I admit it's not the best puzzle adventure game ever, it was a great tribute to the point-and-click adventures of the past. It really tugged on the heartstrings of this old King's Quest and Quest for Glory player, with great characters and just a lot of cheesy, punny fun.

Full recommend from me.

The Messenger - Picnic Panic DLC - 9/10

It's free! It's more of The Messenger! What else really needs to be said? More great tunes, more fun humor, same great gameplay and aesthetic. This one is a bit more challenging that I remember the base game being but it may have been because I was rusty. This DLC took more of the straight action/platformer approach rather than the metroidvania approach of the base game. There's only 3 bosses in the DLC, first one is OK. The second boss is a challenging but once you learn the patterns is really fun to play. And the third one, without spoiling it, is just plain fun. It definitely came out of nowhere, I did not expect it at all. You get to do the thing!!

Honestly, if you liked the Messenger, you'd be stupid not to play this.

I also played through this, since I am a big fan of the Messenger.

Awesome little free DLC, but dang it if that race section wasn't hard as hell. :laugh:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
That race was a lot of fun once you get the hang of it, even though it was really hard. I had all the achievements before the DLC and wanted to go for all achievements again so I kept retrying that race so I can win every race for the achievement. I forget how many races there were, I think 5? The last one was really hard but me constantly failing on that one made me really good at the others. A few of those races I got so far ahead of the AI that I didn't even see it when I reached the end.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I think I’ve played through Slay the Spire enough to say I’ve beaten it. I’ve won several runs on the highest difficulty with each character so I have a pretty good grasp of it. 200 hours in it so far.

STS is a deck builder rogue-like. Each character has their own starter deck that you begin every run with. The starter decks are very similar, but each character has their own couple of unique cards.

In order to win the run in the most simple form you must climb 50 floors and defeat three bosses, one at the end of each Act. Each floor can be either a fight, an event, a campfire(for healing and upgrading cards), an elite fight, or a shop where you spend the gold you’ve gathered that run. Upon victory or death all cards, gold, and relics reset.

Relics are items you pick up from elite fights, boss fights, or in the store that affect your character in a variety of ways. Some of the most powerful relics allow you to play an additional energy worth of cards that turn or draw additional cards for you. Some of the weaker ones don’t have a very big impact on the run, so getting quality relics is an important part of each run.

The best element of the game is the decision making. You are making very high leverage decisions dozens of times throughout the run. First you must decide what path you’re going to take each Act. An easier path with lots of campfires and shops might see you too weak to defeat the boss at the end. A tough path with lots of elite fights will be very challenging, but you will get better relics and cards along the way usually if you can survive. You get a new card after each fight win. You’re offered a choice between three cards, or you can choose to skip all three. One of the first things you learn is that adding a ton of cards is not always the best idea as you only draw five cards per turn by default(though there are cards and relics which allow you to draw more) so if you have a couple of very powerful cards, but they’re buried underneath some lesser cards, you might not get to play those good cards that fight before you die. The order of the cards is randomized every time through the deck so you never know which cards you’ll draw next turn(unless there are only a few in your draw pile). Lots of other interesting decisions such as when to heal or upgrade(since you can only do one or the other each campfire), which relic to grab after you defeat a boss, and how to use your gold are made throughout the run and every run is different.

I would give it a solid 8/10 overall. It’s extremely addicting and what they have is well balanced for the most part. The only real negative is the lack of content overall. It’s infinitely repeatable as every run is different, and they have a new character on the way, but I think I’ve finally reached the point where I’ve played each fight so much that I pretty much know what I have to do to win(though sometimes it is seemingly impossible to win).

If you’ve never played it, it’s the Humble Bundle game of the month so you can subscribe to the service for $12 and get the full game forever. I would highly recommend it.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
NcgjVWj.jpg

Fez (PS4, 2014)

Fez is a 2D... 3D... 2.5D? It's a puzzle-platformer. You are Gomez, who lives in a village. This village is in 2D, and although some people talk about cubes, those people and cubes are the devil. One day Gomez wakes up and goes and talks to an old man at the top of his village. Gomez is given a Fez by the old man and suddenly discovers he can turn the world on a horizontal axis. A floating ball of light then appears and tells him that the world has a bunch of cubes in it that have scattered around the world and need to be collected, or something. I wasn't paying attention. I think it was reminiscent of the standard Rayman story concepts.

Fez does lots of things very well. The design and art style of pretty much every area of the game is bold, striking and unique. It's vivid colours and blocky shapes like in the picture above and I really can't think of anything I've played that's so highly stylised. The music has a retro tinge similar to the graphics, although I didn't think it was really a strength. It was fitting, mostly, but it could also be quite wearing. Obnoxious is probably a bit strong but there definitely times I got sick of it when I was moving back through worlds I'd already been in while going to different locations.

Fez is a game filled with innumerable secrets and homages. Some of them are obvious, some of them aren't. Some you would never find without the internet's help, and even the internet hasn't managed to explain all of it. The game obviously was made with an extreme fondness for all the major titles from the 80s and 90s. Tetris, Metroid, Castlevania and others I probably wouldn't recognise if I saw them, none of this ever feels gratuitous. Tetronimoes are included alongside the unique in-game language because they complement it, not because the game's trying to establish credibility or isn't original. The inclusion of so many obvious influences make the game seem like a true labour of love, a product of everything that could possible have inspired it.

Fez is also a game which I would never have finished without a guide. If it was the only thing I played from now until the day I die, I wouldn't have experienced all of it. Considering I finished it in just over six hours, that should give you an idea of what I think about the game's depth and complexity. The platforming gameplay is pretty standard. The jumping isn't great, but the platform-turning element is intriguing and offers complex but satisfyingly logical solutions. There's a decent difficulty curve to it even within what is a short game, although in the new game+ section you can activate a cheat and fly past all the puzzles. There's no real reason not to use it, so it feels like the main focus of the gameplay is undermined.

I'm not sure where I'd start trying to explain how complex the puzzles and their solutions are, but have a look at this: https://kotaku.com/a-look-back-at-fezs-unsolvable-black-monolith-puzzle-1794358854

Now imagine if you were playing that on your own and wanted to try and figure that out, with no outside help. Could you? Would you? Can I really sit here and say a game is good when I needed to follow a complete video walkthrough to experience probably even half of its content? I'm not sure. It's rich, it's imaginative, it's meticulous, it's even... logical. But it's the sort of logic that harks back to a childlike feeling when time wasn't a thing you really appreciated. Where you could play a game for an hour a day and have the memory later on of spending your entire childhood doing the same thing. That feeling is great, and it's nice to experience that in something created so lovingly, but... no. I don't have that feeling now. I don't think I would have had that feeling of satisfaction if I'd laboured over the game for months and worked it out myself.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to go and watch the film about Phil Fish, who seems like the exact person you would expect to make a game like the one I've just described.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Fez is also a game which I would never have finished without a guide.

I played it about 6 years ago and got stuck. I tried to un-stick myself by watching guides and videos online, but it's hard to do that with a game that's so open and lacking in area names and such. I had no clue how to describe where I was stuck, since it was at a waterfall that wasn't much different than so many other waterfalls in the game. Eventually, I gave up and moved on. It's too bad because it's a fun, unique game.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I played it about 6 years ago and got stuck. I tried to un-stick myself by watching guides and videos online, but it's hard to do that with a game that's so open and lacking in area names and such. I had no clue how to describe where I was stuck, since it was at a waterfal that wasn't much different than so many other waterfalls in the game. Eventually, I gave up and moved on. It's too bad because it's a fun, unique game.
I wrote that review a few days ago and posted it without really checking it again. I forgot to mention one thing. There's a map you can rotate to try and see where you are:

latest

This is a great help, obviously.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I wrote that review a few days ago and posted it without really checking it again. I forgot to mention one thing. There's a map you can rotate to try and see where you are:

latest

This is a great help, obviously.

Yeah, that map existed way back when and I tried using it then, but, while it's helpful for getting around, it's not very helpful in un-sticking yourself. There are (or were, at the time) no names given for those areas, so what are you supposed to put into a Google or YouTube search to get help with the one that you can't complete? Anyways, I probably don't have the savegame file any more (I played on PC before the game had cloud saves) and won't feel like re-playing it any time soon, so it doesn't matter. I was just sharing my experience with the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad