The last few games you beat and rate them III

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
The toughest is Bao-Dur and it's not really worth it for him anyway. You have to have him with you to click on very specific conversations and items and if you miss even one, you'll fall short.

It's fun to have Atton, Mira, Disciple/Handmaiden as Jedi though, particularly for the Dxun / Onderon mission.

KOTOR 2 is an almost masterpiece that still turned out to be a pretty good game.

The plot is much more complex and intricate than the original and more ambitious, but I agree with your assessment that it falls short perhaps because it reached a little too far and wasn't completed properly.

KOTOR 2 also had the advantage of building on an existing engine and graphic sets etc., which in my mind makes the original that much more compelling.

What's cool about the original KOTOR is that everyone has a different favourite planet. I liked Manaan, but other people preferred Kashyyk, Tatooine or even Korriban (or Taris in your case).

Also, Bastila was probably my first video game crush. ;) That Jennifer Hale is something else.

Finally, the soundtracks by Jeremy Soule may be the best I've encountered outside of maybe the Heroes of Might and Magic series.

I kinda don’t like how you almost have to look up what to do beforehand to get things like that perfectly right. Really wish I at least tried talking to him, The handmaiden, and Mira more though.

Now that I’m thinking back a bit, that part with Goto’s droid and Bao-Dur’s droid never led to anything did it? I wonder what their plans were for the second part of this game.

I’d actually say mine was probably a tie between Taris and Korriban. I enjoyed myself way too much killing all the Sith. My character was as evil as they come. Manaan might’ve been my least favorite haha, but yeah everyone’s different there.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Basically it comes down to G0t0 not wanting to operate the mass shadow generator to destroy Malachor V and the remote does.

DS is G0t0 and LS is remote as far as the ending.

Now that you’ve played through once, might be worth doing again with a walk through. Sounds like you missed some pretty big reveals.

You can also watch cut content videos on YouTube if you can’t be bothered to play through it.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Basically it comes down to G0t0 not wanting to operate the mass shadow generator to destroy Malachor V and the remote does.

DS is G0t0 and LS is remote as far as the ending.

Now that you’ve played through once, might be worth doing again with a walk through. Sounds like you missed some pretty big reveals.

You can also watch cut content videos on YouTube if you can’t be bothered to play through it.

I saw the part where Goto’s droid comes in and says he doesn’t want to do it. But I got no cutscene other than that which was strange. What other reveals did I miss?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I saw the part where Goto’s droid comes in and says he doesn’t want to do it. But I got no cutscene other than that which was strange. What other reveals did I miss?

Well...

For one thing, G0t0 IS the droid. It uses holograms to pretend that it's a real person. It was designed to stabilize the Republic and the only way it saw to do that was to go against programming that required him to do things legally which is why it became a crime lord and impersonated a human.

Not sure if you knew that or not. You need a lot of influence with him I think.

There's some kind of battle between them that occurs in a (cut?) cut scene but it's quite brief. You know which one wins based on whether the planet is destroyed or not. Not that clear though for sure. And I'm not sure if the winner is based on the influence with Bao Dur vs. influence with G0t0. It's been awhile.

Last edited:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Well...

For one thing, G0t0 IS the droid. It uses holograms to pretend that it's a real person. It was designed to stabilize the Republic and the only way it saw to do that was to go against programming that required him to do things legally which is why it became a crime lord and impersonated a human.

Not sure if you knew that or not. You need a lot of influence with him I think.

There's some kind of battle between them that occurs in a (cut?) cut scene but it's quite brief. You know which one wins based on whether the planet is destroyed or not. Not that clear though for sure. And I'm not sure if the winner is based on the influence with Bao Dur vs. influence with G0t0. It's been awhile.

Wow that’s interesting and makes a lot of sense. I feel kindve cheated that I didn’t get any of this. I’ll take some fault though, I barely talked to Goto or Bao-Dur at all.

Also strange: when I beat Kreia and the lightsabers, at first she gave me the choice to join Revan far away and a few other options. But after asking what would happen to everyone for a while, I never got that option again.

One last thing: when I was on Duxn there was a cutscene when I first arrived that showed Carth and the republic talking. Read up on it after and I guess you had to tell Atton that Revan saved the republic to get to talk to Carth. I don’t understand the point of them showing me that short cutscene. The more I read and talk to you about this, the more I’m starting to think of how incomplete the game is if you don’t do certain things.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Total Party Kill - 7.5/10

Total Party Kill is a fun little puzzle game where you control an archer, wizard, and knight, each with their own abilities, that you will have to combine to solve puzzles. Almost every level will require killing a character or two to reach the exit. There are multiple ways to solve each puzzle and they're fun to solve. They're never overly complicated but the game is still good fun regardless. It feels like a lite version of The Lost Vikings, a game style that hasn't been made in years. It's not quite as elaborate or large as The Lost Vikings but it's still good fun for what it is.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Total Party Kill - 7.5/10

Total Party Kill is a fun little puzzle game where you control an archer, wizard, and knight, each with their own abilities, that you will have to combine to solve puzzles. Almost every level will require killing a character or two to reach the exit. There are multiple ways to solve each puzzle and they're fun to solve. They're never overly complicated but the game is still good fun regardless. It feels like a lite version of The Lost Vikings, a game style that hasn't been made in years. It's not quite as elaborate or large as The Lost Vikings but it's still good fun for what it is.

I imagined that you were describing a copycat of Trine, the gorgeous side-scrolling platformer in which you switch between a thief, a wizard and a knight. After looking at the screenshots, though, I see why you compared it to The Lost Vikings, instead. The developer certainly went for the complete retro, 8-bit look rather than for modern graphics like Trine. It looks like fun. I'll check it out. Thanks.

BTW, if you really like 2D puzzle games like that, you might like Tetrobot and Co. It's one of the most enjoyable puzzle games that I've played this decade.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Wow that’s interesting and makes a lot of sense. I feel kindve cheated that I didn’t get any of this. I’ll take some fault though, I barely talked to Goto or Bao-Dur at all.

Also strange: when I beat Kreia and the lightsabers, at first she gave me the choice to join Revan far away and a few other options. But after asking what would happen to everyone for a while, I never got that option again.

One last thing: when I was on Duxn there was a cutscene when I first arrived that showed Carth and the republic talking. Read up on it after and I guess you had to tell Atton that Revan saved the republic to get to talk to Carth. I don’t understand the point of them showing me that short cutscene. The more I read and talk to you about this, the more I’m starting to think of how incomplete the game is if you don’t do certain things.

Yeah, the sad part about the game is that you kind of have to piece the whole plot together either by reading on the internet or playing it through a few times.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I imagined that you were describing a copycat of Trine, the gorgeous side-scrolling platformer in which you switch between a thief, a wizard and a knight. After looking at the screenshots, though, I see why you compared it to The Lost Vikings, instead. The developer certainly went for the complete retro, 8-bit look rather than for modern graphics like Trine. It looks like fun. I'll check it out. Thanks.

BTW, if you really like 2D puzzle games like that, you might like Tetrobot and Co. It's one of the most enjoyable puzzle games that I've played this decade.
Yeah, I love the Trine series but this one definitely plays more like Lost Vikings. I did also play Tetrobot and Co and really enjoyed that one too. I actually 100%ed that game and got all the achievements. Blocks That Matter is another good puzzle game made by the same devs.

I did just find out after I played Total Party Kill that it's free on mobile though. I tried it, same first few levels. It's probably the same game all the way through. The controls are bad and ads will pop up literally in the middle of levels. The game is pretty fun though for even $5 on Steam. It's easy to get all achievements in if you like having some extra perfect games.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I did not beat this game but I stopped playing it so ima review it anyway. According to walkthrough's I maybe finished 40%.

Anachronox.

This game has long been on my to play list and so I gave it a whirl. It starts of reasonably, it's an RPG with some JRPG like qualities where you're a private detective who owes a debt (shocking I know).
So you have to take some dumb jobs to try and keep up and that leads to a whirlwind story of sorts. My summary is kinda bland but the writing is actually pretty decent in the game. Above average even. What really kills it is most everything else.

Exploration seems fun at first, until you realize half the shit is plot gated (and very lazily at that) and most corridors are empty.

Combat is immediately said to anyone playing the game as it's poor to outright horrible, I didn't find too bad myself. But it's passable at most. I found it a nice diversion from exploring empty hallways. The combat is timing based and each character gets an action in sequence based on how much time passes. Attack choices are pretty limited to a plain attack and a special move or two. But you do get a full party of characters so that adds some variety.

The worst part though really is that plot gating and related back tracking. You'll explore (yet another mostly empty area) and find a thing that's obviously related to the quest only to not be able to do anything with it. Then have to come back later. Given how horribly the maps are laid out, think Deus Ex Invisible war style original Xbox level design, it's just a chore to keep playing after a while.
There's also a somewhat interesting hidden quest system which is a nice reward for completionists.

Still the writing and quests (when you aren't back tracking) are good so it's not a total loss. Someone who found those more compelling than I would think more highly of it.

5/10.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, I love the Trine series but this one definitely plays more like Lost Vikings. I did also play Tetrobot and Co and really enjoyed that one too. I actually 100%ed that game and got all the achievements. Blocks That Matter is another good puzzle game made by the same devs.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I 100%ed and got all achievements for Tetrobot and Co, as well. I rarely do that for games because I generally don't care much for achievements and usually stop playing when I beat games, but I wanted to keep playing that game and they were goals. I did play Blocks That Matter after that, but it didn't grab me as hard and I don't think that I ever finished it. I should probably go back to it. Edit: I remember why I didn't finish it (or even get very far): the keyboard controls that are a lot less convenient than Tetrobot and Co's mouse control. I'm guessing that Blocks That Matter was designed for controllers. I'll try playing it again when I have a controller.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Yeah, the sad part about the game is that you kind of have to piece the whole plot together either by reading on the internet or playing it through a few times.

Man I would KILL for a KOTOR 1&2 remastered with the complete storylines in tact.

Reactions: Jovavic

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

I plan on playing through the game using an influence guide just to catch all the easily missable content. There's SO MUCH locked behind it and there's honestly not enough opportunities to influence it.

Also the Restored Content Mod is an absolute must. It's the reason KotOR2 should only ever be played on PC imo.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I'm not sure, there's obviously going to be more content made for it. I figured I'll go back for that. Problem with me is I have such a huge backlog that I never want to play anything twice.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Katana ZERO - 9.5/10

One of the best indie games out there. It's a 2D action platformer version of Hotline Miami and they do a hell of a job at that. You can slow down time to dodge enemies, roll past them, deflect bullets back at them, etc. The soundtrack is awesome and it fits an incredible aesthetic. The story is great but it ends on a to be continued. That being said, the story still wraps up pretty well and just kind of sets itself up for a sequel. Definitely one of the best indie games out there.
Glad someone else here digs it as much as I do.

Going to go for hard mode?
I'm won over by the music, art style, and mechanics/feel, but I'm a little hesitant about what I'm hearing about the depth of the campaign, level designs, absence of variety, and lack of content. I'm a little worried it'll just be a fun, satisfying to play but kind of short, repetitive, and forgettable (albeit challenging) "just lighten up, don't think about it too much, and have fun" game with not a lot to it beneath the surface.

Is that unjustified? Would you guys say that it is or isn't as good as The Messenger? (I know they're completely different games, but still)

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I think the Messenger was pretty much equal with Katana Zero. They're definitely different style game and The Messenger is quite a bit longer, especially if you try to 100% it. I know one of the complaints from people with Messenger was when it turned from an action platformer into a metroidvania after a couple hours. I personally loved it but it definitely did change the feel of the game. I definitely recommend both.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I plan on playing through the game using an influence guide just to catch all the easily missable content. There's SO MUCH locked behind it and there's honestly not enough opportunities to influence it.

Also the Restored Content Mod is an absolute must. It's the reason KotOR2 should only ever be played on PC imo.

I never really got into PC games. Lame I know. God I wish they’d make a third one with Revan and the exile.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think the Messenger was pretty much equal with Katana Zero. They're definitely different style game and The Messenger is quite a bit longer, especially if you try to 100% it. I know one of the complaints from people with Messenger was when it turned from an action platformer into a metroidvania after a couple hours. I personally loved it but it definitely did change the feel of the game. I definitely recommend both.
Good to know. Would you say that my impression of its limitations are technically untrue?

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
It was pretty short, I didn't think it was repetitive, possibly because it was short. I definitely don't think it was forgettable. I forgot who said it here but someone called it a 2D platformer version of Hotline Miami and it's a great comparison. If you enjoyed Hotline Miami, you'll enjoy Katana Zero.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Full disclosure - I love arcade/twitch style games. I've spent about 30 hours with The Messenger and 40 with KZ.

I'm won over by the music, art style, and mechanics/feel

You should be:D The pixel work is the best I've ever seen in a game. It's that good. I dare call it a show piece for the kind of world you can build with these types of graphics. Reused assets/locals are almost non existent. The OST frames the game beautifully and is so good I bought it off of Bandcamp (especially if you like synth if not it may convert you).

The mechanics are well thought out and useful, nothing feels tacked on like it was an afterthought. Like any good arcade style game you are given everything you need to succeed at the outset. Most importantly the controls are tight and in any game like this they need to be.

but I'm a little hesitant about what I'm hearing about the depth of the campaign, level designs, absence of variety, and lack of content.

It is an excellently designed action game. The tools you are given lend to a lot of freedom to how you will tackle the levels. If you play something once and then move on to the next thing then there probably isn't a lot here for you. Most arcade style games can be finished in under a half hour to an hour. This one will last you four to six on your first play through because you are also getting a narrative (I bought it for the pixels and game play, I didn't think I would get the story that came with it) that the less said the better. The story is really good..

If short is a deal breaker so be it, but you will be missing out on what will probably be the Indie GOTY.

The Messenger is also good. They nailed the movement in that game. You feel pretty ninja using your tools to jump, run and zip through the stages. Again the controls are tight. The graphics are great (again no deja vu with the locals), the ost is fantastic if you like chip tunes, its well written, and has arguably the best character ever in a game. It is also a longer game on your first play through.

I actually have more complaints with The Messenger though. And I like The Messenger, a lot actually. The two biggest are that the 2nd part (I won't call it half because it is actually more like 2/3's of the game) of the game is weaker than the first and enemy variety is non existent. You will be killing the same three or four things over and over. Even though they serve more as a means to help you move through the environment a few more mooks would have been in the game's favor.

The 2nd part could have also used one or two more boss battles, but that may be more of a personal preference as there are five or six in there already. That said you do get three new areas to visit although my personal favorite does NOT have a boss fight.

In the end if you like side scrolling sword play you should ideally play both as they offer vastly different experiences. I'll leave you with this - towards the end of The Messenger I wanted the game to end. When KZ ended I immediately started it over cause I didn't want it to end.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Appreciate all the info, guys. I'll keep it in mind. Short isn't a deal-breaker, it's mostly just a depth and variety concern.
You should be:D The pixel work is the best I've ever seen in a game. It's that good. I dare call it a show piece for the kind of world you can build with these types of graphics. Reused assets/locals are almost non existent.
Whoa whoa whoa, okay, come on, this has to be blasphemy. Let's not say things we can't take back. :laugh:

I've seen trailers and the sprite work is excellent, but there's no way it has a higher level of beauty, artistry, animation, style and detail than stuff like this:

vKIMYc0.gif
Necro-ts-stance.gif
eNjkcdl.gif
5N41D.gif
5TJudTv.gif
colorswap.php
animated-gifs-of-fighting-game-backgrounds-18.gif
uM4SUXw.gif
f
3npcLkS.gif
CnY0rBh.gif
lastblade2-graveyard-stage.gif

Metal Slug 3 would be my pick for best sprite work of all time. And it's really unfortunate, but I doubt it will be matched by future Indie developers. It's absolutely insane, and would just take too many top-talent man-hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: OmniCube
Sep 19, 2008
Fractured But Whole is a pretty good game. Had concerns about turn based combat at first but you get used to it.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

Sky Force Anniversary (PS4, 2016)

Some time ago when all I had to keep me company was a SNES and a Game Boy Colour, I had an assortment of games which I couldn't approach with anything other than childish ignorance of what they were, what to do in them or how to get any enjoyment out of them. With this and a lack of instruction books or in-game explanations in mind, most of the time my experience of these games (and my subsequent memories of them twenty years later) is very often of the opening menus and the first ten minutes or so of gameplay. One such game is Super Aleste, or Space Megaforce as it was apparently known in the US, a vertical scroller where you're in a plane or a spaceship or something and you have an assortment of enemies coming towards you, and an assortment of power-ups to change and improve your weapons as levels go on.

Imagine my excitement then when I download Sky Force Anniversary and find it to be the same concept. I really enjoyed... well, I had really fond memories of Super Aleste, so the chance to play a game like it when I know what I'm doing? Yes please.

That's pretty much where the fond comparisons end. Anniversary is a remake of a mobile game from 2004. There are eight main stages with a ninth unlocked after those first eight, and four difficulty levels for each which are unlocked on a stage-by-stage basis when you complete the objectives in each - defeat 70% of enemies, defeat 100% of enemies, save all the people dotted throughout the stage and get through the stage without taking any damage. The difficulty increase doesn't change the content of the stages, it just makes enemies shoot more and able to take more damage before dying.

As you play through you can unlock upgrades for your plane. Here is where my main problem with the game lies. It's not the repetitive music, it's not the relative dearth of content (each stage is basically five minutes long), it's how there's no sense of progression. If you complete every stage on the Normal difficulty, you'll be able to unlock upgrades for your plane. If you unlock upgrades for your plane you'll be able to complete harder difficulties, but because your plane is better the play doesn't really change until you get to the final Nightmare difficulty. It doesn't feel like you're making any progress because the levels stay the same, and your plane scales with that. Once you get to the highest difficulties it gets even worse, because your progression stops. This makes the game feel really... pointless. I don't know how else to describe it other than to say there's a real sense of futility in terms of finishing stages and improving the game. Maybe it changes when you play with other people which you can do, but that's not really a help for me.

That isn't to say the game isn't fun to play. The gameplay is solid and responsive. Despite levels being quite repetitive (aside from the ninth bonus stage which is a surprising change and bitterly under-explored), they're all very pretty. Despite this, I had problems with power-ups and enemy projectiles. Most turrets shoot small pink circles at you. Health power-ups which drop occasionally are red hearts with a glowing pink border. Several times when the screen was full and I was trying to stay alive and dodge fire, I touched the wrong thing. Several times I got hit when I didn't know there was anything there. Since this is an 8th gen remake of a mobile game I'm going to assume they went a bit overboard with the effects. I can't imagine it was that bad fifteen years ago.

As eager as I was to play this when I realised what it was. I don't think my childhood memories have been appropriately revisited. I'll need to find more scrollers like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad