The Kings clinch a playoff spot!

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I did the leg work a while back but it was something like 90% of all the Cup champs since expansion have been one of the top 4 teams in the league(1 or 2 from either conference). We often focus on the Presidents Trophy winners failing as some sign of underdogs making it, but in those years, it's usually the runner up to the Pres trophy winner that ends up taking it.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I did the leg work a while back but it was something like 90% of all the Cup champs since expansion have been one of the top 4 teams in the league(1 or 2 from either conference). We often focus on the Presidents Trophy winners failing as some sign of underdogs making it, but in those years, it's usually the runner up to the Pres trophy winner that ends up taking it.
Another reason why “just make the playoffs” is a lame goal.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Best metric for winning the Cup? Selke and Norris winning teams are better than Hart and Art Ross winning teams.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Best metric for winning the Cup? Selke and Norris winning teams are better than Hart and Art Ross winning teams.
My initial response was going to be "laughs in Erik Karlson." Then I decided to look deeper...

Norris winners winning the Cup in the year they win the Norris? Just checking back to 2000, and I don't see the correlation. Makar in 2022, Lidstrom in 2002 and 2008, and Keith in 2010 are the only ones that match-up. That's 4 years out of the last 23 that it lines up.

If you meant just Norris winning players, well, see my initial response because lol, Erik Karlson.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
The Salty asshole in me couldn’t be more ecstatic we are getting swept by Dallas and Blake and Luc can go back to selling timeshares and that Edmonton is going to have to play final boss level cap circumvention Vegas in the first round!
It's too bad that they both can't lose in the first round.

Last edited:

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
My initial response was going to be "laughs in Erik Karlson." Then I decided to look deeper...

Norris winners winning the Cup in the year they win the Norris? Just checking back to 2000, and I don't see the correlation. Makar in 2022, Lidstrom in 2002 and 2008, and Keith in 2010 are the only ones that match-up. That's 4 years out of the last 23 that it lines up.

If you meant just Norris winning players, well, see my initial response because lol, Erik Karlson.
Hart winners have 1 or 2 Cups over the last 20 years (did it last year, to troll Edmonton, didn't save file and too long to do again) same as Ross winners, The Norris and Selke winners have more than them. (it all means nothing though). Presidents Trophy winning teams are 0-20 in that span

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
The Salty asshole in me couldn’t be more ecstatic we are getting swept by Dallas and Blake and Luc can go back to selling timeshares and that Edmonton is going to have to play final boss level cap circumvention Vegas in the first round!
I’m feeling the same way. Yeah we’re gonna get f***ed but so are the oilers against some real competition

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The playoffs boil down to making the most right plays at the right time, especially in big moments.

How many players on this roster do you trust to rise to those occasions? Do you trust this staff to make the right decisions?

This Kings roster has very, very few players you can rely on, and so - SOOOO many that you can bet the farm to wilt in those moments.

They are coached and led on-ice to settle down instead of rise up. I don't see a single real leader on the roster, even though there are a bunch of honest effort players. They are rudderless from management down to the 4th line.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Hart winners have 1 or 2 Cups over the last 20 years (did it last year, to troll Edmonton, didn't save file and too long to do again) same as Ross winners, The Norris and Selke winners have more than them. (it all means nothing though). Presidents Trophy winning teams are 0-20 in that span

Well, Quick SHOULD have won a Vezina in2012, sothere's that

And Drew Doughty had the best 2014 of any player in the world

I’ve never seen these boards so dead after clinching. Makes sense.

It's f***ing depressing, I"ve never been so unenthused for the playoffs. I usually love them even when the Kings are out, but the Kings being a dead fish taints everything this time.

Reactions: VILARGOD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad