The Kings clinch a playoff spot!

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Can anyone remember the last time the Kings made the play offs and there was this much "meh?"

I can't . And I share it too. Can't see us doing much at all no matter who we play.

Is it a product of the stupidly raised expectations before the season?

Really, knock on wood, we look like we might be 100% healthy heading into the playoffs for the first time almost ever. Won't everyone basically be expected to be available absent anything new happening in next week?
2012 was the same. Kings eked in as an 8th seed and played the president's trophy-winning Canucks

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Can anyone remember the last time the Kings made the play offs and there was this much "meh?"

I can't . And I share it too. Can't see us doing much at all no matter who we play.

Really, knock on wood, we look like we might be 100% healthy heading into the playoffs for the first time almost ever. Won't everyone basically be expected to be available absent anything new happening in next week?

What is 2023?

170420_3506029_Celebrity_Jeopardy.jpg

Reactions: Papa Mocha 15

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
2012 was the same. Kings eked in as an 8th seed and played the president's trophy-winning Canucks
i don't know that i'd call it the same but there are similarities

12 march was pretty electric, 24 not quite as much so since they've mostly been crushing cans. defense isn't the same kind of good, intangibles are severely lacking and they're playing a downtempo system

i'd be more than happy to be wrong but i feel like the first round fodder comparisons are much more close to reality

Reactions: KINGS17

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I sent Drew to bed after the 2nd period. He was bummed as he wanted to watch the whole game. He's 8...so I then woke him up last night at 9:45 so he could come down stairs to watch the last 5 minutes of the game and see them clinch. Told him he would have to get up in the am and be ready for school, he was up at 6:45 re-enacting the game and celebrating in his room and woke everyone up. Fun f***in Times.
A nice dad moment… he won’t forget that.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Regardless of how any of us feel about the team, strategy, trades, Blake , Luc, coaching etc… I think we all must agree that the play-offs was the absolute minimum any of us should have expected. Failure to clinch would have been one of the biggest underachieving moments in Kings history.

It’s hardly a moment to crow about and whilst how we got there wasn’t pretty it will ultimately be judged on play-off performance. Not getting out of the 1st round should cost jobs, if we go out in the 2nd round and certain players don’t deliver then that should cost jobs also. The team has been built for the play-offs (apparently) so it needs to show up accordingly.

My confidence is low and my expectations equally so. However I’ve see enough over the years to know that IF everyone brings their ‘A games’ then it might get interesting. As they say anything is possible but is it really probable?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA

Yup. This is the least excited I’ve ever been about the playoffs. I know some people on here are satisfied with just making the playoffs but after experiencing two cup wins, championships are the only thing that excite me and there’s no way in hell the Kings are winning this year, or next, or next next, etc.

Reactions: GameNight

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Regardless of how any of us feel about the team, strategy, trades, Blake , Luc, coaching etc… I think we all must agree that the play-offs was the absolute minimum any of us should have expected. Failure to clinch would have been one of the biggest underachieving moments in Kings history.

It’s hardly a moment to crow about and whilst how we got there wasn’t pretty it will ultimately be judged on play-off performance. Not getting out of the 1st round should cost jobs, if we go out in the 2nd round and certain players don’t deliver then that should cost jobs also. The team has been built for the play-offs (apparently) so it needs to show up accordingly.

My confidence is low and my expectations equally so. However I’ve see enough over the years to know that IF everyone brings their ‘A games’ then it might get interesting. As they say anything is possible but is it really probable?

NOthing would make me happier than my vociferously negative opinions being kicked in the teeth

but so far they've made me look like Moses

But nothing I've said about the regular season matters if they all show up for the playoffs

I'd still have a hard time saying the front office shouldn't be cleaned out, but if these guys make the WCF or more, I'd bet Blake buys himself some time, and it would be hard to argue with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gjwrams

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023

The expectations coming from the team were that winning a single round would be considered a success. You can’t set a much lower bar than that for a veteran-heavy team that is at the cap ceiling and has already lost in the 1st round two years running.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Central
Dallas 109 2 games remain should get WC2
Winnipeg 104 3 games remain (own tie breaker)
Colorado 104 3 games remain - Saturday 1:00PM Winnipeg @ Colorado
Nashville 95 3 games remain

Pacific
Vancouver 105 3 games remain
Edmonton 101 5 games remain - Saturday 7:00pm Vancouver @ Edmonton
Los Angeles 95 3 games remain
Las Vegas 92 4 games remain

Schedule
Vancouver
@ Edmonton 4/13
vs Calgary 4/16
@ Winnipeg 4/18

Edmonton
vs Arizona 4/12
vs Vancouver 4/13
vs San Jose 4/15
@Arizona 4/17
@ Colorado 4/18

We may not know who wins the Pacific until the last day.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
3 years in a row. Wow, that’s impressive. One more year, and BLuc will match Dave Taylor’s streak of four straight back when we also thirsted to just make the second round.

Reactions: KINGS17

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
NOthing would make me happier than my vociferously negative opinions being kicked in the teeth

but so far they've made me look like Moses

But nothing I've said about the regular season matters if they all show up for the playoffs

I'd still have a hard time saying the front office shouldn't be cleaned out, but if these guys make the WCF or more, I'd bet Blake buys himself some time, and it would be hard to argue with that.
Yeah… I am usually overwhelmingly optimistic but I’ve had it knocked out of me with regards to the Kings since the PLD trade. I could see a rationale for every move Blake (& Luc) made up until that point, even if I didn’t agree with them. I hated losing Vilardi, but I hated it more for a player that bought with him many question marks. Unfortunately the answers have so far been worse than I feared.

They waited too long to can TMac which has given Hiller little time to change much as the schedule doesn’t allow for anything to change quickly system wise. Deployment has been questionable at times from him but at least he’s prepared to adjust and change the plan mid game. That’s my biggest hope in the play-offs because even with our A-game we need a coach that’ll make the adjustments needed.

My hope is that Grundstrom comes back and that Thomas stays in the lineup which would slightly raise the grit level of the team. Grundstrom played well in the last PO so hopefully he can get going again quickly. Then is PLD can raise his game to average 3C level and QB can rediscover his form we might do OK. Too many ifs unfortunately but I won’t stop hoping because if they do put it altogether they are a decent side, warts an all.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
I already have the 1-3-1 avatar.

This. 2012 didn't explode until we beat the Canucks. Then it felt like we had something going, especially winning in 5.
That’s just a false narrative.

The Kings were one of the better teams in the league after hiring Sutter. They came into the playoffs on one hell of a streak of quality hockey. They weren’t some Cinderella run out of nowhere.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
If any of you put effort on this just so Kings get bounced in five games…

FeartheFur

Jul 15, 2018
What I remember was they kept getting points on ties. Then barely made it on the last day of the year. It wasn’t all Johnathan Quick but he was literally unbeatable that playoff run.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
That’s just a false narrative.

The Kings were one of the better teams in the league after hiring Sutter. They came into the playoffs on one hell of a streak of quality hockey. They weren’t some Cinderella run out of nowhere.
The climate around here was pretty subdued until Stoll hit that OT clincher. Then the buzz was on. I remember the "surely, the Canucks are gonna wake up now" vibes especially after they put Schneider in and Daniel Sedin returned in game 4. The Canucks were also one of the hottest teams in the second half of the season.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If any of you put effort on this just so Kings get bounced in five games…

low effort avatars you say?

The climate around here was pretty subdued until Stoll hit that OT clincher. Then the buzz was on. I remember the "surely, the Canucks are gonna wake up now" vibes especially after they put Schneider in and Daniel Sedin returned in game 4. The Canucks were also one of the hottest teams in the second half of the season.

yeah, especially with how we choked the previous series w them away, we weren't super optimistic

Reactions: kingsholygrail

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
What I remember was they kept getting points on ties. Then barely made it on the last day of the year. It wasn’t all Johnathan Quick but he was literally unbeatable that playoff run.
The Kings were the first of three Pacific team to clinch a playoff spot in 2012. They simply choked the division title away the last week.

Reactions: bland and Surf Nutz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad