Post-Game Talk: The King was slayed?! (PHI 7 at NYR 4, Feb. 18, 2018)

nevermore

Cap space since 2005
Oct 25, 2007
Nobodies saying to give more time to the top guys, they're already at their upper limit (usually).

I'm saying there's no excuse for icetimes like in the CBJ game where Lehtera, Weise, Filppula, Manning, Hagg, and MacDonald outplayed Laughton, Weal, Raffl, and Gudas. Not to mention the absurdity of how he handled Sanheim. Plus he likes to go into shell mode when were leading at the end of games, where he double shifts "safe" players (the Filppula line and our bottom 4 defensemen) and puts out a squad of Lehtera, Filppula, Weise, Hagg, and Macdonald as his shutdown group. :laugh:

See, I don't even disagree with that. Like I said, certain TOI distributions are iffy at best. And I'd like to see Sanheim in there over Manning. Although I haven't seen much of the Hakshell in the last 3 games, to be fair. Except against Jersey once they got the late PP. That was absolutely horrific.

On the flip side, I'm glad that Simmonds' ice time has gone down. Because that guys has been borderline useless 5-on-5 recently.

nevermore

Cap space since 2005
Oct 25, 2007
As for the Giroux and Konecny comparison, I've always said he's like a feistier Briere.

Dont really see too similarities between Giroux and TK, to be honest.

Briere also liked to be around the goal, though. Konecny doesn't strike me as that kind of player.

I just realized I miss the Hobbit. Very few players like him.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
See, I don't even disagree with that. Like I said, certain TOI distributions are iffy at best. And I'd like to see Sanheim in there over Manning. Although I haven't seen much of the Hakshell in the last 3 games, to be fair. Except against Jersey once they got the late PP. That was absolutely horrific.

On the flip side, I'm glad that Simmonds' ice time has gone down. Because that guys has been borderline useless 5-on-5 recently.
It's sad because Simmonds has been one of my favorite players since he got here. His numbers this year don't look bad, but watching him on the ice is painful.

But still, he's easily better than Lehtera, Filppula, and Weise. So, while seeing at him get less icetime seems OK, that time is going to far worse players.

Simmonds and Patrick both played 14 minutes today. Lehtera, Weise, and Filppula were all between 10-12. Take 2-3 minutes from the trash and add it to Simmonds and Patrick. Toss Filppula-Patrick-Simmonds out there once in a while for all I care, just so long as guys like Weise and Lehtera are off the ice as much as possible.

nevermore

Cap space since 2005
Oct 25, 2007
Looking back at them the MacDonald, Konecny, & Lehtera goals were truly awful by Hank.

The MacDonald goal made we wonder if there are teams that legitimately practice faking deflections (kinda like defensemen purposely missing the net) to confuse goalies. Lundqvist cleary thought that Lethera was gonna redirect the puck and moved to the middle but because Lethera is Lethera he whiffed and they ended up scoring a goal that shouldn't have been one.

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012
Nah...I think you did just well...more and it could affect their mental, push them in depression and putting a end at their hockey career. But that's not what you want :sarcasm:.

nevermore

Cap space since 2005
Oct 25, 2007
It's sad because Simmonds has been one of my favorite players since he got here. His numbers this year don't look bad, but watching him on the ice is painful.

But still, he's easily better than Lehtera, Filppula, and Weise. So while looking at him getting less icetime seems OK, that time is going to far worse players.

Simmonds and Patrick both played 14 minutes today. Lehtera, Weise, and Filppula were all between 10-12. Take 2-3 minutes from the trash and add it to Simmonds and Patrick. Toss Filppula-Patrick-Simmonds out there once in a while for all I care, just so long as guys like Weise and Lehtera are off the ice as much as possible.

Defensively I definitely trust Filppula more than Simmons. The other 2 shouldn't be out there in crunch time. One has the skating ability of a 50-year old and the other one is Weise.

The problem with Simmer is that I kinda want him traded but then I look at his goals and think to myself: "Who else on the Flyers can do that?". The Leafs have a similiar problem with JVR.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

tenor.gif

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Defensively I definitely trust Filppula more than Simmons. The other 2 shouldn't be out there in crunch time. One has the skating ability of a 50-year old and the other one is Weise.

The problem with Simmer is that I kinda want him traded but then I look at his goals and think to myself: "Who else on the Flyers can do that?". The Leafs have a similiar problem with JVR.
Even if the trade is really good for the team, I'm honestly going to be really sad if/when it happens. :laugh:

As for who would replace his goals, guys like Patrick, TK, Lindblom, and then a couple guys who are in juniors/college have pretty good-to-great goalscoring potential. I'm not too worried about the future.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The MacDonald goal made we wonder if there are teams that legitimately practice faking deflections (kinda like defensemen purposely missing the net) to confuse goalies. Lundqvist cleary thought that Lethera was gonna redirect the puck and moved to the middle but because Lethera is Lethera he whiffed and they ended up scoring a goal that shouldn't have been one.

It was slow as shit that it would have been saveable even with a redirect. Hank was just really off today. For the first time in long time could really say that when he’s went up against the Flyers.

Reactions: BernieParent

nevermore

Cap space since 2005
Oct 25, 2007
Even if the trade is really good for the team, I'm honestly going to be really sad if/when it happens. :laugh:

As for who would replace his goals, guys like Patrick, TK, Lindblom, and then a couple guys who are in juniors/college have pretty good-to-great goalscoring potential. I'm not too worried about the future.

If feel you, I was a fan of Simmonds way back when he was on the Kings. A big reason why the Richards trade didn't sting so much.

But the thing with him are the deflections. Who do you put in front of the goalie on the PP? Patrick? I honestly don't know who'd be a good replacement. And they need to find one because I don't see him re-signing. Or rather hope because sadly he's gonna be too expensive.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

I just got a slight shiver at the thought of:

Giroux
Voracek
Konecny
Lindblom
Rubtsov
Allison
Kase
Aube-Kubel

on this teams wings at the same time... can you say fore-check? Opposition Dmen might actually die of exhaustion and literally have nightmares about trying to get a clean break-out pass.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If feel you, I was a fan of Simmonds way back when he was on the Kings. A big reason why the Richards trade didn't sting so much.

But the thing with him are the deflections. Who do you put in front of the goalie on the PP? Patrick? I honestly don't know who'd be a good replacement. And they need to find one because I don't see him re-signing. Or rather hope because sadly he's gonna be too expensive.

Oskar Lindblom

Though he is a lefty which is not ideal for Giroux. But he is amazing around the net and insane at tips.

nevermore

Cap space since 2005
Oct 25, 2007
It was slow as **** that it would have been saveable even with a redirect. Hank was just really off today. For the first time in long time could really say that when he’s went up against the Flyers.

Eh, having played goalie (both hockey and soccer) changing directions once you've made your mind up is borderline impossible. He tried to think ahead and it bit him. Obviously not a good goal to give up but I can't really blame him for that.
Other than that he was definitely off tonight, no doubt about that. Refreshing, really.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Eh, having played goalie (both hockey and soccer) changing directions once you've made your mind up is borderline impossible. He tried to think ahead and it bit him. Obviously not a good goal to give up but I can't really blame him for that.
Other than that he was definitely off tonight, no doubt about that. Refreshing, really.

Yeah when there’s actual heat on it, it’s elevated, & the guy is sitting right on top of you. But that wasn’t the case. It would have been a bad goal to give up regardless.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Patrick, give him an offseason to get stronger, he has great hands. That goal was a thing of beauty.
Allison of course.
Ratcliffe in three years.
Strome if he can ever learn to skate.
And Lindbom

hayen

Apr 7, 2017

I've posted concerns before regarding Hextall's goaltending focus. I am not against Elliot or Neuvy but they have been fragile and unpredictable.
To my point that "he would like a shot"-I have wondered if Hex uses his own career as his measuring stick. His own performance/style would not work today but his ego may see it differently.
Is this something he is blind to?
I'd like to see Hextall put focus on a goalie that gives us a better proven track record.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad