OT: The Jukebox: What are you listening to?

member 262271

Hans Zimmer is incredible. The only score of his I haven't been a big fan of was True Romance, but I have a feeling that was Tony Scott looking for a specific feel than it was bad work by Zimmer.

If you like film soundtracks, I highly, highly recommend Clint Mansell's 'The Fountain' score - 'Death Is The Road To Awe' is one of my favourite pieces of music ever, let alone from a film.

Very different from either of those guys, but Nobuo Uematsu is another amazing composer (best known for the Final Fantasy games). I challenge anyone to listen to the Advent Children version of 'One-Winged Angel' without getting just the most jacked up.
Uematsu is great, honorable mention to Yasunori Mitsuda as well.

Reactions: IBeL13f

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Perturbator and Carpenter Brut for me these days:
(amazing videos even if you aren't a synthwave fan)

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
This board has an eclectic taste in music.

I’m not as sophisticated as you guys. I will go with pop music. Good, bad, cliche ... pop is for me.

Also Katy Perry is hawt.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Thought I'd leave this here too in case anyone is interested. Man oh man is this some innovative stuff. Nothing out there like it.

member 262271

I'm not familiar with Mitsuda's work, though I know of Chrono Trigger (and, of course, Mario Party) - Any particular soundtracks I should check out?
IMO Chrono Cross is one of the best video game soundtracks of all time, still listen to it to this day.

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
Ahh the Ditch trilogy. Well done sir.
I didn't even know it had a name, but it definitely feels like a trilogy.

Aside from the recent Neil Young obsession I tend to gravitate between jazz, blues, soul, folk.... tough to pick a favourite but Thelonious Monk, John Fahey, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Mississippi John Hurt, Howlin' Wolf, Townes Van Zandt are all up there among others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fluke Schenn

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
This board has an eclectic taste in music.

I’m not as sophisticated as you guys. I will go with pop music. Good, bad, cliche ... pop is for me.

Also Katy Perry is hawt.

Nothing wrong with liking what you like :D I like Katy Perry too (though I hate her most recent stuff and her haircut). My GF has been playing Taylor Swift's new album a lot and I definitely dig it. I also love Lady Gaga. Hell, I'll even admit that The Chainsmokers actually make pretty good tunes.

Reactions: Petrus

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Nothing wrong with liking what you like :D I like Katy Perry too (though I hate her most recent stuff and her haircut). My GF has been playing Taylor Swift's new album a lot and I definitely dig it. I also love Lady Gaga. Hell, I'll even admit that The Chainsmokers actually make pretty good tunes.
I saw Lady Gaga back in 2009, right after Bad Romance and Telephone came out - She was awesome, what a performer. I haven't been a big fan of a lot of her new stuff (and have outgrown some of her older stuff), but I have a ton of respect for her.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I saw Lady Gaga back in 2009, right after Bad Romance and Telephone came out - She was awesome, what a performer. I haven't been a big fan of a lot of her new stuff (and have outgrown some of her older stuff), but I have a ton of respect for her.
Yeah, her ideas about performance and image are fascinating. She's a real talent. There's a fantastic documentary about her making her new album on Netflix that's quite well done and worth the watch. It does a very good job showing the difference between her as a person and her as a performer. I've listened to the new album once or twice and while I don't think I'll ever like it enough to buy it, it's still a good listen.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I'm not familiar with Mitsuda's work, though I know of Chrono Trigger (and, of course, Mario Party) - Any particular soundtracks I should check out?
Koji Kondo. All of them. Also the FF2 battle tune is epic. Or is it FF4? the numbers change region to region for some reason.

Last edited:

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
We certainly are. Gonna be a rager for sure!!
I played a lot of bars and they all sort of melded together over time . IIRC the bovine was a dark and weird place. But my mind is hazy for reasons I cannot legally discuss until later this year.. Haha.

member 262271

220px-Timefadesaway.jpeg
220px-On_the_Beach_-_Neil_Young.jpg
220px-Neil_Young_TTN_cover.jpg
Also, the album following, Zuma, is really great too. I love most of Neil's stuff, something good on every album.

Reactions: PatrickMerlot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad