Proposal: The Jets Should go after Karlsson HARD

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
OK, who are you willing to lose to get EK? It would probably take Trouba+Ehlers+Roslo?
Laine+ JoMo?
It would be this kind of price tag to get him. Then we get the pleasure of paying 12M to keep him. No thanks.

I doubt they get anything close to that. Whose going to give them that value? They aren't dealing from a position of strength. They'll take the best offer they can get and I bet it won't be anything close to that. This is all comtingent on them not wanting to pay him. Not only that but his no trade list limits their options even further. I'd low ball and go from there. But I wouldn't give up anything close to the package above. And even further more I'd prefer to wait until the summer when you can negotiate a sign and trade. That way you know exactly how long you'll get Karlsson for. The teams that have the assets and the space to bring EK in aren't likely to offer anything close to that. At that point it's a take it or leave it situation. And EK goes to FA and Ottawa gets nothing for him.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
What is he even worth now? Back from a traumatic surgery. Not looking like the old Karlsson for sure.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Well it' not like Ottawa didn't get great goaltending either last season. I would like to emulate the Pitts model from 2 seasons ago when they where mostly healthy in the playoffs. They torched teams with speed and quick transitioning from the back end. Keep in mind that their d was decimated in the playoffs last season.

Also keep in mind they had an NHL-caliber coach.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Did you see what Atlanta got for Kovalchuk?

Exactly. I think a lot of Sens fans figure they'll get the Sun and all the planets for EK. But the truth is they are dealing from a position of major weakness if they won't sign him. They dealt Turris from a similar position and gave up a lot more than they should have for Duchene. I remember Oilers fans talking about getting a major package for Hall and ended up with just Larsson. GMs aren't going to do the Sens any favour and there are a limited number if teams that will be on EKs trade list, have assets they can move and the space to keep him. Furthermore I see very few teams looking to make a deal before July 1st. They will wait for summer and do a sign and trade.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Did you see what Atlanta got for Kovalchuk?

Patrice Cormier is still a vital part of the Moose! Correct me if I'm wrong, but we ended up with Buff in a roundabout way because the 1st round pick that was received from New Jersey was used in the trade to Chicago?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Patrice Cormier is still a vital part of the Moose! Correct me if I'm wrong, but we ended up with Buff in a roundabout way because the 1st round pick that was received from New Jersey was used in the trade to Chicago?

Yep. NJD traded their 2010 1st and 2nd rounders as part of the Kovalchuk deal and Atlanta sent both those picks (and some other players of little consequence) to Chicago for Byfuglien (and some other players of little consequence).

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
getting a bit off topic here but...good lord, I know the Draft can be a crap shoot sometimes, but the 2010 draft (the one involving the Kovalchuk trade picks) in the 1st round Atlanta could have drafted Schwartz, Kuznetzov, Tarasenko, Bjugstad, Hayes or Coyle. Instead, they picked Burmistrov :(

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
straight out of fantasy land

Our Winnipeg Jets are one of the best financially managed teams in the NHL so why would we want to throw out the baby of possible multiple Stanley Cup Contender for years to come just to get Karlsson whos health is questionable and possibly getting past his prime let alone the team killing damage his new contract would cause...

For me, its a not worth the trouble so its a definite no thank you.

Better luck next proposal time...

Well mcpw in fantasy land Pav is a great goalie :sarcasm:

View media item 969

Reactions: GNP

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Bad idea. Karlsson is too expensive for what you get and will be on the decline for the majority of a long term deal. Avoid like the plague!

Our Winnipeg Jets are one of the best financially managed teams in the NHL so why would we want to throw out the baby of possible multiple Stanley Cup Contender for years to come just to get Karlsson whos health is questionable and possibly getting past his prime let alone the team killing damage his new contract would cause...

For me, its a not worth the trouble so its a definite no thank you.

Better luck next proposal time...

Well mcpw in fantasy land Pav is a great goalie :sarcasm:

View media item 969

I like that Karlsson is in decline yet he still is near PPG and on pace for 62 points. Karlsson's decline will still be better than literally any defencemen we have on the team or in the system. At the end of his contract he might be unlucky enough to post Trouba numbers. I mean the guy is still more mobile than anyone we have even after a foot surgery. Plus it's not like his passing and shooting abilities are any worse. The guy's IQ alone will make him a top 30 defender for years to come.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
I like that Karlsson is in decline yet he still is near PPG and on pace for 62 points. Karlsson's decline will still be better than literally any defencemen we have on the team or in the system. At the end of his contract he might be unlucky enough to post Trouba numbers. I mean the guy is still more mobile than anyone we have even after a foot surgery. Plus it's not like his passing and shooting abilities are any worse. The guy's IQ alone will make him a top 30 defender for years to come.

You make valid points but its all about the money and term that scares me into saying pass for like I said more or less I don't want any contract on our Jets handcuff our team like the Oilers have done...

Its not worth it for me anyways.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
I don't think the Winnipeg window of opportunity is open yet, so it would be a rather silly move to make such a drastic move this season.

Reactions: JetBlue420

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
as he makes way too much money.

Your joking Right? His cap hit is 1 million less then buffs.

Im not sure were this decline due to injury theory is coming from. I just watched him play over 30 minutes in the outdoor classic, block shots in areas of both his feet and continue to show very little effect from his surgery.

We are not going to trade for him but he is quite few years from any kind of decline imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad