Proposal: The Jets Should go after Karlsson HARD

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Well Hayes just had a breakaway and Karlsson had zero issues catching up to him from the other end of the ice. I'm pretty sure he is in fine shape.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Fair enough, we don't need to agree on what level of awesomeness he will be on after this season but we can agree on that in last seasons play offs he was magical. Skidooboy posted earlier that the window could be now to make a move for EK if only as a rental in exchange for Trouba and something else, and I don't think it sounds too crazy when you consider how good the timing would be. The stars would be aligned and they'd be wearing Jets jerseys!

The problem is that they will likely be looking for A Trouba, established young forward, top prospect (Roslovic), and possibly a 1st type of package. If you can get him for Trouba and a good prospect not named Roslovic and a 1st then sure mybe you do that if your confident that he can bounce back. But I can't see any way that is all Ottawa accepts for him

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The problem is that they will likely be looking for A Trouba, established young forward, top prospect (Roslovic), and possibly a 1st type of package. If you can get him for Trouba and a good prospect not named Roslovic and a 1st then sure mybe you do that if your confident that he can bounce back. But I can't see any way that is all Ottawa accepts for him
Agreed. As interesting of an idea it is to get Karlsson, the price even for 1.5 years will be astronomical. No way of knowing at this point if he is interested in re-signing so Chevy would have to default that he is gone after the 1.5 year window. Jets are way too early in their competitive window to risk closing it prematurely.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Can’t see it happening, too many issues that make it very unlikely

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Love to get EK, but realistically no trade could be done until after EK agreed to a new contract and remains healthy. EK at 10-11 million for 6-7 years, would cost a lot in return. Depends what the Sens want really, can’t see EK and Buff on the same team, two large contracts on D. Can’t see us being able to trade Buff who isn’t playing like he did when he got that deal and can’t see the Sens wanting buff. That means young players like Laine, Ehlers, Trouba, Josh etc.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Great player, but no thanks.

It's not worth the ask - whatever that may be. We know it's going to be a king's ransom, and I don't believe that he puts us over the top. Hollowing out what we took 7 years to build is a bad idea. We have a bunch of expensive and to-be expensive players on the roster. We need to spend less on D, not more.

If the Jets had just been to the 2nd round two times in a row, or were coming off a Conference Finals appearance, then I'd be more inclined to push all in.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'd do it if Trouba was the focal point without much more added on. The major thing here is if Karlsson is available who will go after him and who has the pieces to do so. Let's just say this trade occurs in the summer with a sign and trade.

Toronto, Buffalo, Colorado, Arizona and the Jets could make some serious pitches. The Stars could probably offer something around Heiskanen. Isles have a lot of good young talent but they shouldn't part with it. Lightning could make a pitch but they would likely handicap themselves with Kucherov negotiations. The Knights could make a great offer but they shouldn't.

It's possible all of these teams are on EK's no trade list though he may have some interest in all of us for various reasons outside of maybe Arizona. Toronto likely has to give up Reilly. Buffalo is probably giving up Risto. Colorado is probably giving up Makar. We are likely giving up Trouba.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Even at his current level of play he's still a top 30 dman league wide though.

True, but at 11-12m per year? Jets are building something really good here lets not blow it on a expensive in both assets and cap space Dman we really don't need.

Pitts have proven that you can win it all with a great forward group and mediocre D. And the Jets have a better D now then the Penguins did last year's cup run.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd do it if Trouba was the focal point without much more added on. The major thing here is if Karlsson is available who will go after him and who has the pieces to do so. Let's just say this trade occurs in the summer with a sign and trade.

Toronto, Buffalo, Colorado, Arizona and the Jets could make some serious pitches. The Stars could probably offer something around Heiskanen. Isles have a lot of good young talent but they shouldn't part with it. Lightning could make a pitch but they would likely handicap themselves with Kucherov negotiations. The Knights could make a great offer but they shouldn't.

It's possible all of these teams are on EK's no trade list though he may have some interest in all of us for various reasons outside of maybe Arizona. Toronto likely has to give up Reilly. Buffalo is probably giving up Risto. Colorado is probably giving up Makar. We are likely giving up Trouba.

Do you really think that is all that he would cost? Ottawa just had to give up a 1B c a top prospect and a first for Duchene and he isn't in the same league as Karlsson value wise.

It won't just be Trouba it will be Connor, Trouba and at minimum a first. It would likely be a 4 or 5 piece package with 4 of those pieces being a pieces. Too rich for my liking.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Unfortunately Trouba's value has dropped massively since summer. I agree that Karlsson would cost at least Trouba+Roslovic+1th pick, or something like Trouba+Connor. Deal that includes Buff would be something else... a miracle.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Do you really think that is all that he would cost? Ottawa just had to give up a 1B c a top prospect and a first for Duchene and he isn't in the same league as Karlsson value wise.

It won't just be Trouba it will be Connor, Trouba and at minimum a first. It would likely be a 4 or 5 piece package with 4 of those pieces being a pieces. Too rich for my liking.

The reality of it is everyone knows they won't pay him so they can demand all they want but if they can't pay him they'll take the biggest package available. Offer up Trouba and a 1st and see if you beat out every other team if not you maybe add a few guys like Petan or Dano and if that doesn't get it done then you walk away. What his value is and what they get offered are two different things. I can't see them getting full value for him if everyone knows they aren't keeping him anyway. If they decide to keep him then get a deal done if not accept the best offer. It's unlikely any team offers up anything huge. There's only a few teams that have the assets amd space required to make a deal so Ottawa isn't dealing from a position of strength. It's up to those few teams to decide what the value they will offer is.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
True, but at 11-12m per year? Jets are building something really good here lets not blow it on a expensive in both assets and cap space Dman we really don't need.

Pitts have proven that you can win it all with a great forward group and mediocre D. And the Jets have a better D now then the Penguins did last year's cup run.

Pitts rode hot goaltending and a solid PP. If Murray doesn't replace Fleury they were probably done against Ottawa as they started to sink him. I'm not going to use Pitts as a benchmark for how to build a team when they have two of the top 4 centers in the league. That's a luxury no other team has. I don't think it's a stable model to build around considering we don't have those pieces.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
straight out of fantasy land

Why?

He wants out, Ottawa are willing to trade, we have lots of assets, a skilled team that could well compete in the playoffs, a rabid fan base and, most importantly right now, Cap space....someone is going to get him....why are we so far out of the frame as to be a fantastical suggestion?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Pitts rode hot goaltending and a solid PP. If Murray doesn't replace Fleury they were probably done against Ottawa as they started to sink him. I'm not going to use Pitts as a benchmark for how to build a team when they have two of the top 4 centers in the league. That's a luxury no other team has. I don't think it's a stable model to build around considering we don't have those pieces.

Well it' not like Ottawa didn't get great goaltending either last season. I would like to emulate the Pitts model from 2 seasons ago when they where mostly healthy in the playoffs. They torched teams with speed and quick transitioning from the back end. Keep in mind that their d was decimated in the playoffs last season.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

While I agree we don't have players at C that come close to Pitts, we have much better wingers then anything the Penguins put up and a much better D corp as is. Who to say that Helly will not give us that kind of goaltending when we need it and if he doesn't EK will make no difference at all. Jets do not need EK to win the cup. The only real thing the Jets of this year are seriously lacking is playoff experience.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
While I agree we don't have players at C that come close to Pitts, we have much better wingers then anything the Penguins put up and a much better D corp as is. Who to say that Helly will not give us that kind of goaltending when we need it and if he doesn't EK will make no difference at all. Jets do not need EK to win the cup. The only real thing the Jets of this year are seriously lacking is playoff experience.

Which is exactly what EK brings.....

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
OK, who are you willing to lose to get EK? It would probably take Trouba+Ehlers+Roslo?
Laine+ JoMo?
It would be this kind of price tag to get him. Then we get the pleasure of paying 12M to keep him. No thanks.

I don't think 3 blue chip NHL'rs is gonna be the price ANY team pays. Especially not for a season and a half contract.

Ottawa is rebuilding. they want future options, someone to play right now,and salary relief

A player a pick and a prospect is a reasonable payout. Say Dano,or Petan(both if necessary) Trouba, and a 2nd(though i'd give a first if we got him right now so we get him for 2 potential cup runs.)

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I don't think 3 blue chip NHL'rs is gonna be the price ANY team pays. Especially not for a season and a half contract.

Ottawa is rebuilding. they want future options, someone to play right now,and salary relief

A player a pick and a prospect is a reasonable payout. Say Dano,or Petan(both if necessary) Trouba, and a 2nd(though i'd give a first if we got him right now so we get him for 2 potential cup runs.)

Did you see what Col got for Duchene? IIRC they got 7 pieces for him. No way does Dano, Petan, Trouba and a pick get you EK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad