Speculation: The Jets and the 2021 Seattle Expansion Draft

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Far too early for this. I don't think we can say even with certainty whether we'd go 7-3-1 or 8 skaters + 1 goalie, let alone offer an educated guess on who'll fill out the protected list.

This exercise will be limited to everyone agreeing on Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers, Laine & Morrissey.

Any further speculation will be limited by current bias. A lot will change over the next 2.5 years (31 months).

Perreault, Lowry, Myers, Kulikov, Tanev, Byfuglien, Chiarot, Trouba will all be or have been UFA's, if they are even on the team.

We have no idea how well Stanley, Niku, Appleton, Petan, Roslovic, Lemieux & Poolman will have progressed.

Wheeler & Little could regress to the point they are deemed expendable. Conversely each could still be valuable commodities.
I was going to post something like this, but well said.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It's kind of interesting to speculate with the current roster. We do know that Wheeler has a full NMC so he will be protected. We can assume that Chevy won't be trading many of the core players - although Trouba seems unlikely to be here.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Byfuglien being exposed wouldn't make a difference either way, I'd do it in this case-scenario if I were him, unless Seattle decides to offer him a dumb contract where Buff takes it and runs. We could also re-sign him in F/A, unless the NHL makes a rule as to which we can't sign him as a UFA after exposing him.

Like I said, I hope they take Little, or in that case, Buff.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Here's mine:

Forwards: Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Wheeler, Roslovic, Lowry/Appleton
D-men: Morrissey, Byfuglien, Trouba (as of today)
Goalie: Helle

I found D to be the most difficult to project with Morrissey the only sure thing.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Here's mine:

Forwards: Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Wheeler, Roslovic, Lowry/Appleton
D-men: Morrissey, Byfuglien, Trouba (as of today)
Goalie: Helle

I found D to be the most difficult to project with Morrissey the only sure thing.

Why on earth would you protect Buff??? He'll be a year out to UFA and on the back 9

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
My guess would be...

Forwards: Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Roslovic, Lowry

Defence: Byfuglien, Morrissey, Niku

Goalies: Hellebuyck

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Why on earth would you protect Buff??? He'll be a year out to UFA and on the back 9
Actually Buff will be a pending UFA come the XD. So if the rules are the same Seattle can just sign him if they want him. If he re-signs beforehand with the Jets most certainly it will come with a NMC. It is a little too early to say for sure who gets protected other than the most obvious choices.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Actually Buff will be a pending UFA come the XD. So if the rules are the same Seattle can just sign him if they want him. If he re-signs beforehand with the Jets most certainly it will come with a NMC. It is a little too early to say for sure who gets protected other than the most obvious choices.

That's just it. So much can/will change. Especially if we win a cup..

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Too early to know how the Jets' D will look. If the Jets have Trouba under contract, then I think they don't protect Buff and then perhaps try to re-sign him for a few years as a UFA. Buff has been aging like a fine old cheddar...

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Byfuglien being exposed wouldn't make a difference either way, I'd do it in this case-scenario if I were him, unless Seattle decides to offer him a dumb contract where Buff takes it and runs. We could also re-sign him in F/A, unless the NHL makes a rule as to which we can't sign him as a UFA after exposing him.

Like I said, I hope they take Little, or in that case, Buff.

Buff won't be "a year out of UFA"...he's a 2021 UFA.

If Buff or any other 2021 UFA is UFA, they're a UFA and bound to no team. Jets wouldn't be protecting a UFA and Seattle wouldn't be wasting an expansion pick on one...they'd simply sign him if both parties were in agreement.

The NHL won't be making a rule about signing UFA's. They can go wherever they please.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Buff won't be "a year out of UFA"...he's a 2021 UFA.

If Buff or any other 2021 UFA is UFA, they're a UFA and bound to no team. Jets wouldn't be protecting a UFA and Seattle wouldn't be wasting an expansion pick on one...they'd simply sign him if both parties were in agreement.

The NHL won't be making a rule about signing UFA's. They can go wherever they please.

Well, I know if you buyout a player you cannot sign them after they've been bought out. If that were the case Lecavalier might have retired with the Tampa Bay Lightning. It's also why Orpik was traded to Colorado, so they could buy him out and Washington could still sign him.

But what I mean is say if we exposed Buff to Seattle and Seattle did claim him with no intention of Byfuglien suiting up with them, then the NHL might make a rule as he can't sign with his previous team who exposed him in the expansion draft. But right now as it stands there isn't and won't be a rule on that.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Well, I know if you buyout a player you cannot sign them after they've been bought out. If that were the case Lecavalier might have retired with the Tampa Bay Lightning. It's also why Orpik was traded to Colorado, so they could buy him out and Washington could still sign him.

But what I mean is say if we exposed Buff to Seattle and Seattle did claim him with no intention of Byfuglien suiting up with them, then the NHL might make a rule as he can't sign with his previous team who exposed him in the expansion draft. But right now as it stands there isn't and won't be a rule on that.
Absolutely no chance that the NHL will restrict a team (and player) from re-signing with a team that didn't protect him in the expansion draft.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Too early to know how the Jets' D will look. If the Jets have Trouba under contract, then I think they don't protect Buff and then perhaps try to re-sign him for a few years as a UFA. Buff has been aging like a fine old cheddar...

Yeah, would be best for the Jets to sign Buff after the XD, if he's still capable. It would be like getting an extra D on the protected list for free. All it would take is some cooperation from Buff. He's got to be super loaded money wise so it could come down to quality of team and quality of life for him and his family. So far both of those seem to be working in the Jets' favour but a lot can happen in 31 months.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah, would be best for the Jets to sign Buff after the XD, if he's still capable. It would be like getting an extra D on the protected list for free. All it would take is some cooperation from Buff. He's got to be super loaded money wise so it could come down to quality of team and quality of life for him and his family. So far both of those seem to be working in the Jets' favour but a lot can happen in 31 months.

The one positive to discussing the expansion draft in advance is to fully understand the rules.

As such I thought it best to correct my last post on the 2021 UFA class. All who will become UFA's in 2021 are free to negotiate with any team once "free agent frenzy begins." If the past is any indication this will be on July 1st 2021 prior to which all UFA's remain property of their 2020-2021 team.

With the expansion draft occurring prior to this, that begs the question if teams protect their UFA's?

Yes they do, as they are still technically under contract until Free Agent Frenzy begins weeks after the expansion draft occurs.

In the last expansion draft Vegas was given a 48 hour window immediately preceding the expansion draft, to speak to and potentially sign any players that were UFA's. This way they wouldn't waste a pick on a player they couldn't sign. In addition any UFA signed would count as that teams selection, meaning teams could not lose a second player.

To elaborate, just because Seattle might be interested in any of the Jets UFA's which will include Byfuglien, Perreault & Lowry, any of each would have to agree.

In 2017 Vegas chose UFA Thorburn as their selection from the Jets. He didn't sign with Vegas, rather he chose St. Louis.

This of course begs the last question, could that Jets have resigned Thorburn? If Seattle were to select any one of Byfuglien, Perreault of Lowry are they simply able to not sign, reject any Seattle offer and resign with the Jets?

No because there was a rule in place that stated that any selected player could not return to their original team until January 1st, 2018.

Here's where I need help, does this mean that if a UFA is selected and then chooses not to sign in Seattle could he simply hold out until January 1st 2022 and return to his original team mid-season?

First off I doubt this scenario would even unfold. If during the pre-negotiating UFA window it was clear this player would not sign, why would they waste a pick? Doing so would offer no gain to their expansion cause.

So we now return to my earlier post that UFA's don't need protection. Although this is technically wrong, the result would be the same, but only if their original team is completely certain that the player has no intention on jumping ship.

This was rather insightful on this matter.

The Curious Role Of UFAs In The Expansion Draft - SinBin.vegas

Any additional thought from anyone?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The one positive to discussing the expansion draft in advance is to fully understand the rules.

As such I thought it best to correct my last post on the 2021 UFA class. All who will become UFA's in 2021 are free to negotiate with any team once "free agent frenzy begins." If the past is any indication this will be on July 1st 2021 prior to which all UFA's remain property of their 2020-2021 team.

With the expansion draft occurring prior to this, that begs the question if teams protect their UFA's?

Yes they do, as they are still technically under contract until Free Agent Frenzy begins weeks after the expansion draft occurs.

In the last expansion draft Vegas was given a 48 hour window immediately preceding the expansion draft, to speak to and potentially sign any players that were UFA's. This way they wouldn't waste a pick on a player they couldn't sign. In addition any UFA signed would count as that teams selection, meaning teams could not lose a second player.

To elaborate, just because Seattle might be interested in any of the Jets UFA's which will include Byfuglien, Perreault & Lowry, any of each would have to agree.

In 2017 Vegas chose UFA Thorburn as their selection from the Jets. He didn't sign with Vegas, rather he chose St. Louis.

This of course begs the last question, could that Jets have resigned Thorburn? If Seattle were to select any one of Byfuglien, Perreault of Lowry are they simply able to not sign, reject any Seattle offer and resign with the Jets?

No because there was a rule in place that stated that any selected player could not return to their original team until January 1st, 2018.

Here's where I need help, does this mean that if a UFA is selected and then chooses not to sign in Seattle could he simply hold out until January 1st 2022 and return to his original team mid-season?

First off I doubt this scenario would even unfold. If during the pre-negotiating UFA window it was clear this player would not sign, why would they waste a pick? Doing so would offer no gain to their expansion cause.

So we now return to my earlier post that UFA's don't need protection. Although this is technically wrong, the result would be the same, but only if their original team is completely certain that the player has no intention on jumping ship.

I think Buff would be a very good bet to sign with the Jets. This area is his home, he likes the team, and they are likely to be a contender for the foreseeable future. The Jets are more likely to lose him to a team other than Seattle once he hits UFA, but I'd bet the Jets will re-sign him if he's still good and wants to play. He seems a good bet to retire as a Jet, and maybe be one of the first to have his jersey retired by Jets 2.0.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont

Bettman will make whatever rule Vegas wants him to make...

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

I agree that Seattle is unlikely to waste a pick on soon-to-be-UFA Buff if, after talking to him in the pre-draft period, they learn he will not sign with them. If Buff is good enough to still be playing after the draft, it would be great if the Jets could leave him off the protected list but still sign him afterward. It would be less good if they sign him then have to protect him.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
It would be less good if they sign him then have to protect him.
It wouldn't even be a big deal. It's basically the difference between protecting Niku or not. We're going to lose one quality player in this draft regardless. If it's Niku instead of Appleton I won't be too bothered. We have Samberg, Chisholm and Stanley all looking like they have an NHL future.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It wouldn't even be a big deal. It's basically the difference between protecting Niku or not. We're going to lose one quality player in this draft regardless. If it's Niku instead of Appleton I won't be too bothered. We have Samberg, Chisholm and Stanley all looking like they have an NHL future.
I think it's Niku or Stanley that they lose, unless Trouba is moved for a D they don't need to protect, which seems unlikely. At this point, Niku would be the clear choice to protect, but perhaps values will change over the next couple of seasons.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I think Buff would be a very good bet to sign with the Jets. This area is his home, he likes the team, and they are likely to be a contender for the foreseeable future. The Jets are more likely to lose him to a team other than Seattle once he hits UFA, but I'd bet the Jets will re-sign him if he's still good and wants to play. He seems a good bet to retire as a Jet, and maybe be one of the first to have his jersey retired by Jets 2.0.

Not sure that Buff would ever get his number retired here unless he can win a Norris and cup this season or next. That said unless he wants to play in Minny I don't see him wanting to play the rest of his career any where else.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My guess would be...

Forwards: Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Roslovic, Lowry

Defence: Byfuglien, Morrissey, Niku

Goalies: Hellebuyck

Doubt they will protect Buff at that stage. He will be a pending UFA, 36 YO. He may have already announced his retirement to go fishing.

You can panic and ask how we will contend without him but the fact is that he won't be the player then that he is now. If we can't contend without Buff we will be unable to contend with him as well.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Doubt they will protect Buff at that stage. He will be a pending UFA, 36 YO. He may have already announced his retirement to go fishing.

You can panic and ask how we will contend without him but the fact is that he won't be the player then that he is now. If we can't contend without Buff we will be unable to contend with him as well.
You realize we are talking a year and a half from now, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad