The Jarmo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
This was my biggest gripe about Torts/PP during the Panarin years. If you watched his goal highlights from Chicago it was literally 3/4 of nothing but one timers. And for some reason we almost never put him in position to take one timers.

Maybe he potted everyone he took because I still have visions of him on the left side with his stick raised to the Jumbotron. He is the best we pure sniper we ever had of that there is no doubt. On last seasons team Panarin may have carried us another series.. seeing a pattern here with teams that knock out the Jackets.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Maybe he potted everyone he took because I still have visions of him on the left side with his stick raised to the Jumbotron. He is the best we pure sniper we ever had of that there is no doubt. On last seasons team Panarin may have carried us another series.. seeing a pattern here with teams that knock out the Jackets.
They definitely didn't use him properly on the PP. IIRC the PP went through him. I remember the puck constantly on his stick when in reality he needs to be the guy hiding on the weak side of the ice so he can slip into that open area and wait for that cross ice pass.

But it's not like we exactly had the best PP around him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They definitely didn't use him properly on the PP. IIRC the PP went through him. I remember the puck constantly on his stick when in reality he needs to be the guy hiding on the weak side of the ice so he can slip into that open area and wait for that cross ice pass.

But it's not like we exactly had the best PP around him.

Eh, I'm not sure about that. Other than his second year in Chicago he has had a lot more PP assists than goals every year. He played a similar role for NYR to what he did for CBJ.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Comments in various threads re: Jones & Werenski has me thinking that Jarmo needs to have very frank discussions with them about their interest in staying Blue Jackets for the rest of their careers, more so Jones than Werenski because of the UFA/RFA thing. If they are unhappy here trade them now unless there is something that can be done to alleviate their unhappiness (ie. get rid of Torts if that is the reason).

If Jones wants to go back to Dallas then try to strike up a trade there. If Werenski wants to go to Detroit so be it. To have your top line D unhappy and uninterested and not playing to their potential, no good is going to come of that. Two very tradeable assets, so if they want out I think it incumbent on Jarmo to find out can they be salvaged; otherwise get the best deals and move forward.

This situation (if it really is one) needs to be addressed.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jarmo just did a radio interview on Sportsnet where he discusses the various trade requests.

I found it interesting that he said, with obvious reference to Laine and Roslovic, that he is more accepting of trade requests from players who aren't getting an opportunity. I personally think both had a good situation in Winnipeg. Laine was well placed to score a bazillion goals on that PP and with Ehlers on his opposite wing at 5v5, Ehlers being one of the best 5v5 wingers in the game. The guy who replaced him on the Ehlers-Stastny line is Andrew Copp, and that trio is currently the second highest scoring line in the league. Jack Roslovic played most of last year with Ehlers and Wheeler and just didn't score. If he said "I need to move on because I suck here" that would be more fitting, he had a chance and even this year he would have still had a chance to prove himself from the third line.

But you can gather implicitly that Jarmo is not accepting of what PLD did, and perhaps he really knows his reasons. My anger level goes up and down depending on what I imagine the reasons are. Sometimes you really do need to move on, situations can suddenly become untenable. But if he quit on the team for no good reason I have to say I despise that sort of person. It is the same feeling when I'm on a team with guys who want to quit after they're a couple goals down. That's just plain bad character.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
Laine being well placed in Winnipeg is at the very least, very debatable. It is a narrative from WPG board which, after the trade, is naturally filled with posts with his distractors, many of whom are such because of the rather affectionate fan base that Laine has, started to annoy them over the years. You have had the first taste of that, too. There is a middle road between (not mentioning hockey professor Avgard because SPECIAL) his fans and haters. Either way, the relevant thing is that it is clear that Laine himself thgought that he was not well placed and as such he fits Kekalainen's criteria.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Laine being well placed in Winnipeg is at the very least, very debatable. It is a narrative from WPG board which, after the trade, is naturally filled with posts with his distractors, many of whom are such because of the rather affectionate fan base that Laine has, started to annoy them over the years. You have had the first taste of that, too. There is a middle road between (not mentioning hockey professor Avgard because SPECIAL) his fans and haters. Either way, the relevant thing is that it is clear that Laine himself thgought that he was not well placed and as such he fits Kekalainen's criteria.

It's not something that I've picked up as a narrative from elsewhere, it's my opinion based on the objective information I mentioned - the success of the Winnipeg PP and the success of the Ehlers line. If those are debatable, feel free to debate it.

Reactions: Murky
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
JMHO, I think the "Columbus problem" comes from several things:

1. Lack of visibility. Columbus doesn't get lots of national TV appearances. In many years they have gotten only one national game, and usually on NBC Sports. In my recollection, they've never been on the main NBC channel. Columbus doesn't get the big NHL events like the Winter Classic. I believe players want to play on teams that get the big events and national exposure.

2. Lack of playoff success- players wants to go wherever they believe they have the best chance to win the Cup. Columbus, while a playoff team the past few years, they have never been a Cup favorite.

3. Very few high skill players. I imagine players want to play with elite teammates to have the best chance to win. Yes, Columbus has Jones and Werenski, and the goalies may turn out to be high end. That's not enough alone to make it attractive. Put a Crosby or McDavid along with another franchise player like Malkin/Draisaitl and players would want to be there.

4. Jarmo says he is a tough negotiator when a player is under team control. Other than Seth Jones, Jarmo has stuck to bridge contracts for players' second contract. This clearly upset Josh Anderson and I'm beginning to think it's the core of PLD's trade request. There were several contentious negotiations with a number of players: Johansen, Anderson, Bobrovski come to mind, but I'm sure there are several more.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
JMHO, I think the "Columbus problem" comes from several things:
4. Jarmo says he is a tough negotiator when a player is under team control. Other than Seth Jones, Jarmo has stuck to bridge contracts for players' second contract. This clearly upset Josh Anderson and I'm beginning to think it's the core of PLD's trade request. There were several contentious negotiations with a number of players: Johansen, Anderson, Bobrovski come to mind, but I'm sure there are several more.
I think you need to take Johansen and Bobrovski off the list. No way we were paying $10 mil/year for Bob - and thank God we didn't. The issues about RyJo's work ethic, and rumors about the reasons his offseason heart issues, had more to sour the CBJ on him than the club's negotiating with his a-hole agent.

And I guess you need to add (to a lesser extent):
5.) Torts
6.) Ohio weather and Columbus is not exactly a cosmopolitan city every kid dreams of visiting

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I think you need to take Johansen and Bobrovski off the list. No way we were paying $10 mil/year for Bob - and thank God we didn't. The issues about RyJo's work ethic, and rumors about the reasons his offseason heart issues, had more to sour the CBJ on him than the club's negotiating with his a-hole agent.

And I guess you need to add (to a lesser extent):
5.) Torts
6.) Ohio weather and Columbus is not exactly a cosmopolitan city every kid dreams of visiting

I'm not sure about those Lee. I think lots of players have been quoted saying they liked playing for Torts. Agreed on the cosmopolitan comment, but I'm just not sure that plays much of a part in that many players' thoughts. A few like Panarin sure, but I think many don't really care. They tend to go to their hometowns in the off-season. Additionally, there are an impressive number of players who choose to live here after their career is over like Shelley, Nash, Clarke, Modin, Umberger, Cassels, etc.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He's damn lucky Bob didn't want to stay here

New thread on Florida's board is "How do we get rid of Bobrosky?"

How do we get rid of Bobrovsky?

He’s also lucky Jack Johnson declined a contract extension before the 17-18 season.

As recently as last summer the Blue Jackets were close to signing Johnson to a multiyear extension, The Athletic has learned. A deal was nearly signed in August, when the club expected to trade defenseman Ryan Murray, perhaps in a deal to land center Matt Duchene.

Jack Johnson has asked the Blue Jackets for a trade

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Bobrovsky just wanted his golden parachute and to ride off into the sunset in South Beach. So thankful he insisted on leaving. He did us a huge favor actually.

Reactions: CBJx614

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
He's damn lucky Bob didn't want to stay here

New thread on Florida's board is "How do we get rid of Bobrosky?"

How do we get rid of Bobrovsky?

Quoted for Truth.

Jarmo would have gladly signed a 31 year old Bob to an 8 year deal at huge bucks. He should have signed him for 6 years when he signed his 4 year deal in 2015.

Jarmo is a poor handler of RFAs-that is a charitable description. He is abysmal at handing out long term contracts as well. Take out Jones (who was a no brainer) and Savard and possibly Nyquist and Bjorkstrand and his 4+ year deals would grade out to Ds or Fs.

In an organization committed to winning at a high level, Jarmo Kekalainen would not be starting year 9 as GM.

Reactions: domi28

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
The never ending parade of bridge deals for guys coming off their ELCs drives me nuts. Yes it creates cap flexibility but not committing long term to guys is a terrible way to build a cup contender. Not being able to show a UFA that might be interested in signing here what the team is going to look like in two years is a joke. Jarmo has done a lot of good things here but not locking up core pieces to long term contracts might be his biggest weakness.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
They usually score, or get scored on, more.

The bottom line is that goals go up once out from under Tortorella's shadow
By a decent margin too. When is the last time you saw any bluejacket ranked towards top of any offensive category ? When your power play is at the bottom of every season , and your consistently struggling to score , not hard to see why nearly every forward has better production when they leave . Offensive players aren’t utilized correctly here .

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The never ending parade of bridge deals for guys coming off their ELCs drives me nuts. Yes it creates cap flexibility but not committing long term to guys is a terrible way to build a cup contender. Not being able to show a UFA that might be interested in signing here what the team is going to look like in two years is a joke. Jarmo has done a lot of good things here but not locking up core pieces to long term contracts might be his biggest weakness.

It's also piss poor performance management.

Most players peak in scoring in their mid 20s. Signing an RFA (Johansen, Anderson, PLD, Werenski) to long term deals when they are in their peak is optimal. They are easy to trade early in these 6 year deals for value because of their age, so if a player isn't working out, they're an asset. They also (until Dubas opened the vault in Toronto) cheaper than UFAs who-as a rule-won't perform as well as a younger RFA. The contract of an underperforming 30 year old UFA in year 2 of a seven year big dollar deal is an albatross which is impossible to trade unless you take someone else's problem in return.

It's as if Jarmo flat out doesn't understand when players are most valuable in their careers. It's really pitiful to watch him continue to engage in the same losing strategy. McConnell musn't pay much attention to the CBJ. If his managers at Worthington Industries had the same vision as Jarmo, Worthington would be bankrupt.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Quoted for Truth.

Jarmo would have gladly signed a 31 year old Bob to an 8 year deal at huge bucks. He should have signed him for 6 years when he signed his 4 year deal in 2015.

Jarmo is a poor handler of RFAs-that is a charitable description. He is abysmal at handing out long term contracts as well. Take out Jones (who was a no brainer) and Savard and possibly Nyquist and Bjorkstrand and his 4+ year deals would grade out to Ds or Fs.

In an organization committed to winning at a high level, Jarmo Kekalainen would not be starting year 9 as GM.

You had me in almost complete agreement until the last line.

Jarmo is good at getting team friendly deals. However, Jarmo is also good at poisoning relations with players and agents (Yeah Torts is apart of this too but he's an extension of management so this falls at his feet IMO) and thus is it really worth it in the end? Jarmo is very good at trades and making the hard decisions. His drafting, despite being his main draw, is pretty meh, nothing special, but no massive whiffs either and he usually knows when to cut bait when the time is right (Rychel, Dano, etc). Other than the Horton-Clarkson fiasco he's been pretty solid at UFA pickups, bargain basement deals or actual good players, with the only whiff coming to the top of my head being Gregory Campbell.

Jarmo, while being incredibly annoying to watch destroy relationships with players and take hard line stances with zero budging room, has done a pretty good job here. I'd say he's in the top 10 as far as GM's go in the league and we can certainly do worse. Hopefully he sticks around and finds us our next coach as I think Torts moves on after this year.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
You had me in almost complete agreement until the last line.

Jarmo is good at getting team friendly deals. However, Jarmo is also good at poisoning relations with players and agents (Yeah Torts is apart of this too but he's an extension of management so this falls at his feet IMO) and thus is it really worth it in the end? Jarmo is very good at trades and making the hard decisions. His drafting, despite being his main draw, is pretty meh, nothing special, but no massive whiffs either and he usually knows when to cut bait when the time is right (Rychel, Dano, etc). Other than the Horton-Clarkson fiasco he's been pretty solid at UFA pickups, bargain basement deals or actual good players, with the only whiff coming to the top of my head being Gregory Campbell.

Jarmo, while being incredibly annoying to watch destroy relationships with players and take hard line stances with zero budging room, has done a pretty good job here. I'd say he's in the top 10 as far as GM's go in the league and we can certainly do worse. Hopefully he sticks around and finds us our next coach as I think Torts moves on after this year.

I'll stand by that line. One playoff series win in 8 years as GM wouldn't cut it for most NHL franchises let alone those with the highest standards. Can you imagine a Capitals, Pens, or Bruins GM starting year 9 as a GM with only one playoff series win and a divisional finish no higher than 3rd?

I'll amend the long term deals. Foligno would grade out at a B for me.

Jarmo has never signed an impact level UFA.

Reactions: Cowumbus

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The thing that always confuses me about Jarmo is how he always talks about "playing the right way" while having Torts as a coach but drafts and trades for skill. Torts doesnt get the most out of those type of players and even though he says he likes working with kids and helping them grow I just dont think hes great at it. A guy like Anderson should be damn near a perfect player to both Jarmo and Torts but was still moved for a skilled defensively irresponsible player.
Jarmo and Torts have similar attitudes in some respects but seem to have different visions in mind and I dont think it can continue for much longer

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Well, the Jackets have made the playoffs 4 straight years (albeit by a different method last year) and actually advanced once to the 2nd round. I think he gets a C-.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The thing that always confuses me about Jarmo is how he always talks about "playing the right way" while having Torts as a coach but drafts and trades for skill. Torts doesnt get the most out of those type of players and even though he says he likes working with kids and helping them grow I just dont think hes great at it. A guy like Anderson should be damn near a perfect player to both Jarmo and Torts but was still moved for a skilled defensively irresponsible player.
Jarmo and Torts have similar attitudes in some respects but seem to have different visions in mind and I dont think it can continue for much longer

I've been saying this for awhile now. I agree 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad