The issue of openly rooting for the tank

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...layers-deny--fans-wouldn-t-cry-024616300.html

“I’m not going to guarantee we’re going to make the playoffs,” he said at Sabres training camp on Saturday, ahead of the 2014-15 season.

“I’m not going to guarantee we’re going to lose, either.”

He doesn’t have to. Everyone else outside of the Sabres dressing room already assumes it: That Buffalo’s rebuild would be accelerated greatly with the acquisition of a franchise player in the 2015 NHL Draft, where two such generational talents are expected to go in the top two picks.

That they’ll Dishonor for Connor [McDavid]. That they’ll win jack to win Jack [Eichel].

That they’re going to intentionally tank this season.

“It’s out there. People are going to be talking about it,” acknowledged Stafford. “I can’t accept the fact that we’re going to go into this season and tank. It’s not my makeup as a person or a player.”

And yet one can’t help but notice the Buffalo Sabres – with an owner rich enough to acquire the Buffalo Bills while owning the Buffalo Sabres and pumping millions into Penn State’s hockey program – have the 26th lowest payroll in the NHL.

-------------------------------------------------

Moulson, for one, believes the Sabres aren’t meant to be the team with the best lottery odds this season -- and that they certainly aren't going to intentionally improve them.

“I don’t think Tim [Murray] put us together to lose. And I’ve never played a game wanting to lose it. I’ve never let anyone ever win a game at anything,” he said.

“Not even to my wife.”

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

Great to read these comments.

Not that I'd be disappointed to get either of the two - it would obviously be the opposite. I just don't like the idea of being intentionally bad to get a shot at either. With so many young & important players around the team already a winning mentality is essential. Look at Edmonton to see how things can go wrong.

Even if the Sabres suck unintentionally & the league screws the team out of McEichel I won't be crying about it. Just go out there with the right mindset.

Any which way - we're surely looking at adding two or three very good prospects at minimum - maybe more next summer, to what is already a very talented group. Add to this a guy running the show who just seems to know what he is doing - I just can't see any way to see the current situation negatively.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
The problem I have is that I am in the service industry, and that I talk to a lot of Sabres fans who are actually thinking we might be good this year...Heck, they may not even know about the tank some of them....I fully back the tank, and want to finish with the worst record if possible....But it's hard to talk hockey when these fans are excited, and have their hopes up.

ZeroPT*

I am as well.. I want 30th place badly!! Whats better, winning a few more games this year? Or having McEichel and an amazing team for the next 15 years?

This team will be amazing without McEichel. We have a stacked prospect pool, 3 first rounders (2 are likely lottery picks) and very good young NHL players like Ennis,Hodgson,Foligno and Myers. We have a very shrewd GM and an owner who is willing to literally, burn money for the team's success.

McEichel would be the icing on the cake. But getting Colin White,Pavel Zach,Konecny or Barzal or Kylington, etc... will add to an already stacked group.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm staying very selfish in favor of high draft positions. I know Buffalo is well-off and that any top-10 draftee is going to improve the club. Problem is, if Buffalo doesn't get McEichel some other team will. If Buffalo isn't playing with McEichel they're going to be playing against them. I want that match-up advantage 2-3 years from now where McEichel is going 1-1-2 every playoff game while Barzal/Konecny/Zacha is going 0-1-1.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
If I may interject here since I've been reading through some of your guys comments.

There is a win-win situation here.

The win is that you see a group of young players battle hard and try and win every single night. Whatever they do, inexperience or just not having refined play yet, they end up making 1 or 2 costly mistakes that ultimately cause you to lose the game by a goal.

This is what Flames fans endured last year, but at the same time most of us were really excited to see how hard our players worked. Hartley had the team in a no surrender attitude, see how many one goal games we lost or in OT? Tons. We had a hard working team that simply wasn't good enough at its current stage (weak goaltending in Berra helped early on) but the effort was definitely there.

You guys don't want to be like the Oilers whom for lack of better word looked like they had given up on the season at times. You want to cheer for a team that battles and if they aren't good enough, then oh well. They tried their best and at the end of the day we still ended with the 4th overall. But we came out of that season with a team that never quit and played as best they could.

So from one non-playoff fan to another, that is the kind of situation I would hope Buffalo fans get going into this season. A great hard working team that "just isn't there yet". You don't want a team that gets used to losing, that is a terrible culture to have your youth develop in.

So hope what I said maybe rings true with some of you guys, because maybe then you guys will enjoy watching your team despite losing the games. I myself, have a lot of pride seeing my team (despite losing) battle it out for 60 mins. It really is a good sign for the future :)

Cheers!

leo2892

Jan 25, 2007
If I may interject here since I've been reading through some of your guys comments.

There is a win-win situation here.

The win is that you see a group of young players battle hard and try and win every single night. Whatever they do, inexperience or just not having refined play yet, they end up making 1 or 2 costly mistakes that ultimately cause you to lose the game by a goal.

This is what Flames fans endured last year, but at the same time most of us were really excited to see how hard our players worked. Hartley had the team in a no surrender attitude, see how many one goal games we lost or in OT? Tons. We had a hard working team that simply wasn't good enough at its current stage (weak goaltending in Berra helped early on) but the effort was definitely there.

You guys don't want to be like the Oilers whom for lack of better word looked like they had given up on the season at times. You want to cheer for a team that battles and if they aren't good enough, then oh well. They tried their best and at the end of the day we still ended with the 4th overall. But we came out of that season with a team that never quit and played as best they could.

So from one non-playoff fan to another, that is the kind of situation I would hope Buffalo fans get going into this season. A great hard working team that "just isn't there yet". You don't want a team that gets used to losing, that is a terrible culture to have your youth develop in.

So hope what I said maybe rings true with some of you guys, because maybe then you guys will enjoy watching your team despite losing the games. I myself, have a lot of pride seeing my team (despite losing) battle it out for 60 mins. It really is a good sign for the future :)

Cheers!

Good post, the future is definitely bright for both franchises.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad