The instigator penalty

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I hate it, and I always have. As far as I'm concerned, it prevents the league from policing itself by penalizing players for sticking up for a teammate. Players need to be held accountable for their actions, and taking a few on the chin is a good start--because Lord knows the NHL is strangely unwilling to deal with dirty play in any type of meaningful way.

Thoughts?

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I think the instigator has a place, like to deter the use of fights as strategy. Sending your 4th line goon out there to try and get the star player off the ice for the last 5 mins.

What I would like to see is that if there is a penalty called on the play. Elbow, boarding, etc. the instigator does not apply. Because technically, the player doing the instigating was the one who committed the initial penalty.

Brassard Calder

Oct 8, 2007
The instigator needs to be removed, all it does is allow players to hide behind dirty play and cheap shots. Let the players police the game, lord knows Colin Campbell is doing a terrible job at handing out suspensions and fines.

The last 5 min rule needs to be removed too. Stupidest rule I've ever seen.

While they are at it, remove the trapezoid and let goalies play the puck in the corners if they want. Another ridiculous rule that has no place in the game.

I also think they should modify and/or remove the secondary altercation rule. I'd be fine with giving them each player 10 min misconducts for a secondary altercation if that's what Bettman is hell bent on, but don't throw them out of the game. If two other guys want to fight while a fight is going on let them. I say just give them each 5 min for fighting.

kbarbdamnit

Jun 4, 2006
South Jersey
www.youtube.com
I think the instigator has a place, like to deter the use of fights as strategy. Sending your 4th line goon out there to try and get the star player off the ice for the last 5 mins.

What I would like to see is that if there is a penalty called on the play. Elbow, boarding, etc. the instigator does not apply. Because technically, the player doing the instigating was the one who committed the initial penalty.

Completely agree.

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
The instigator is protecting the cheep shot artists in the league, kaleta Holweg, most are turtles and not fighters, just pests. Why not let the players police themselves like the old days before we go all womens hockey with rules on hitting.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
The instigator rule isn't inherently a bad idea. The problem is, it means referees and suspensions have to be a lot more aggressive. And they won't do it. Which just makes the NHL safe for cheapshots. Without a doubt, the simpler answer is to get rid of the instigator because now we have the NHL wondering how they can ineffectually punish clean hits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad